Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steelers Defense in 2016

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Steelers Defense in 2016

Do you think our defense will be improved in 2016?

And is there a player or position you feel may be the X factor / linch pin on our defense this year?
    Last edited by GBMelBlount; 08-24-2016 at 08:07 PM.
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: Steelers Defense in 2016

Do you think our defense will we improved in 2016?
    I hope, but I'd be not be surprised if they are better and I would be not be surprised if they are one of the worst in the NFL.

And is there a player or position you fill may be the X factor / linch pin on our defense this year?
    Dupree.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GBMelBlount View Post
    Do you think our defense will we improved in 2016?

And is there a player or position you feel may be the X factor / linch pin on our defense this year?
    Not much improvement.

X Factor - Shazier. Will break out this year as one of the most impactful defensive players in the league.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

X factor. 2it. Hopefully he and Heyward get rest and he will dominate more and Dupree and Heyward will attract more attention on the other side.

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

GBMelBlount's avatars continue to get funnier and funnier...

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

I do think they will improve. I think the front 7 will be great this year which will help the secondary. The defense will also be better in the absence of Burntwon and Herpules.

Tuitt. I think both he and Dupree break out (Shazier's durability issues scare me)

Tuitt has already breakout.He can be better, but he has already break out.

We have also seen when Shazier is at its best.He just needs to remains healthy.

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

Nothing in the secondary suggests improvement.

I think the D-line will be better.

As for the LBs, Shazier and Timmons will be better if the former can remain healthy. On the outside the Steelers only have Harrison. To make matters worse they are hinting at playing Jones more. I am hoping Chickillo will make huge strides. Dupree is still an unknown. He needs to get healthy.
    Hater = Realist

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    GBMelBlount's avatars continue to get funnier and funnier...
    Exactly, what the HELL?!!

- - - Updated - - -

The previous avatars don't stay with the post do they.....you know....follow the progression.

I would not be surprised if the Steelers are in the top 10 in PPG, but 25th in yards allowed.But I not know if the Steelers can maintain the trend for the sacks and turnovers.

Some time last year, the Steelers were fortunate to not give a lot of points even if they were horrible in defense as in the first game against the Browns.But at least the depth in the DL looks much better this year.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post
    Exactly, what the HELL?!!

- - - Updated - - -

The previous avatars don't stay with the post do they.....you know....follow the progression.
    Unfortunately not. The last one with Brady jumping into a hippo's open mouth was funny as hell too, as well as being a great dig at the Pats Fan troll we booted out of here around last New Years.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    Unfortunately not. The last one with Brady jumping into a hippo's open mouth was funny as hell too, as well as being a great dig at the Pats Fan troll we booted out of here around last New Years.

You've got to love people that give the extra effort!

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Improved? Yes

As I have stated in several threads, Tuitt is on the cusp of taking over as the dominant DE. That is not a slight on Heyward (who will also improve), but a compliment to Tuitt (about just how great I think he will be).

Dupree will be slightly better. If Chickillo can work his way into the rotation, the other OLB spot will also be slightly better.

Shazier might become the ILB version of what Polamalu was to the SS position.

Add in Hargave (who, at worst, is as good as Cam Thomas), and voila!!! you have a very good defense.

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

I think Dupree will be slowed up with the groin. Once you get one of those it's never the same. He will need to play around it once he gets up to speed.

The length of Shazier's highlight reel will correlate with the overall quality of the defense. By Week 6 the opposing coaches will attempt to scheme away from him.
    All Defense!

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Improved? Yes

As I have stated in several threads, Tuitt is on the cusp of taking over as the dominant DE. That is not a slight on Heyward (who will also improve), but a compliment to Tuitt (about just how great I think he will be).

Dupree will be slightly better. If Chickillo can work his way into the rotation, the other OLB spot will also be slightly better.

Shazier might become the ILB version of what Polamalu was to the SS position.

Add in Hargave (who, at worst, is as good as Cam Thomas), and voila!!! you have a very good defense.
    It all starts in the trenches and with an improved defensive line it will arguably upgrade the entire defense.

I think Shazier could be the X factor but the way he throws himself around I am not overly optimistic that he stays healthy. Fingers crossed...

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

I think it will be better, Hargrave McCullers will help the DL rotation so Heyward and Tuitt are not worn out come playoffs. Cockrell has a season under his belt and will be solid across from Gay. Our S position will be better with a healthy Mitchell and Golden will be fine with Davis coming on later in the year. Slot CB is our biggest concern at the moment. I think Dupree will make a big improvement his second year and JH will be in football shape from the beginning this year so we are already better at OLB. As long as Shazier can stay healthy, our ILB's will be the best in the league. Our Def will be fine this year (of course as always, barring major injuries).

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

If they can solve the outside linebacker pass rusher problem, everything will be fine. If not, it will still be a borderline bad defense.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Anybody expect to see some 4 DL sets like I do? Tuitt and Heyward with Hargraves and ShadeTree in the middle? Williams, Timmons, and Shaz blitzing/covering. Would take a lot of pressure off the CBs and OLBs. Mitchell can still thump with the best of them too.

This was before the draft:

The Steelers should consider a change to a 4-3 defense

One of the standards of the Pittsburgh Steelers for the past three decades has been the 3-4 defense. What was once a novelty has become something of an NFL standard, due in large part to the success the Steelers had with this formation under former head coach Bill Cowher and former defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau.

However, we saw some troubling numbers in 2015 as it relates to the 3-4 defense in Pittsburgh. The Steelers only ran their base defense around 28 percent of the time. This was due in large part to the fact that opposing offenses use three-wide sets more and more often.

Now the debate is about why this happens? Are opposing offenses running multiple wide receiver sets to force the Pittsburgh out of their base defense, or do the Steelers recognize their base front can’t be as efficient, so they are going to play more nickel and dime regardless of what the opposing offense chooses to do?

I tend to lean toward the latter. I don’t believe that Pittsburgh has the confidence in the players on the roster to play its 3-4 defense more. The notion that bringing out one extra wide receiver shouldn’t send a defense into panic mode.

The argument could be made that the Steelers are already equipped to run the 4-3, but that wouldn’t be true. The key is in the defensive line. I have no doubt that that defensive ends Cameron Heyward and Stephon Tuitt could be a devastating interior tandem. However, the lack of depth on the defensive line doesn’t allow for a rotation. This means Tuitt and Heyward rack up massive snap numbers, and wear down.

http://steelerswire.usatoday.com/201...a-4-3-defense/

It does not matter if they are a 3-4 or 4-3 because they are on Nickel for at least 70% of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    It does not matter if they are a 3-4 or 4-3 because they are on Nickel for at least 70% of the time.
    Perhaps that was due to personnel.

Quote Originally Posted by GBMelBlount View Post
    Perhaps that was due to personnel.

No.You must be in Nickel when the opponent is with 3 WR.

In the first half against the Saints.....The pass rush was very good,but the secondary struggle.....

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Heyward's injury is a huge concern

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Heyward should be fine. He actually played a snap after hurting his ankle. He was in a boot, but I believe it's just precautionary.

All I got to say is wow, did we get a future star in Hargrave or what?. This guy is going to be a dominate player for a decade, along with Tuitt who also was great against N.O.

Jarvis played well also, no sacks, but got pressure on the QB. Definitely don't see Chickillo playing over him anytime soon.

Still very iffy about the secondary. Davis showed that his physical presents will be a positive in the nickel. His future is still at safety though.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post

Jarvis played well also, no sacks, but got pressure on the QB. Definitely don't see Chickillo playing over him anytime soon.
    Jones shouldn't even be on the team.

Did the blocker fall down when Jones got pressure?
    Hater = Realist

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post
    Jones shouldn't even be on the team.

Did the blocker fall down when Jones got pressure?
    Who should take his place?? He's a solid player.

No, he was going against Terron Armstead, one of the top LT's in the game.

Hopefully he builds off this game.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post
    Who should take his place?? He's a solid player.

No, he was going against Terron Armstead, one of the top LT's in the game.

Hopefully he builds off this game.
    Anyone.

Solid? Where do you get solid from? Solid like how fans would say Kordell was solid?
    Hater = Realist

One thing is certain, this defense is much better than at the same time last year.Remember the disastrous game against the Bills in pre-season last year ?!

And against the pats last year in Week 1, the lack of communication was unacceptable.

- - - Updated - - -

For Jarvis Jones...

Jarvis Jones Gets Pressure Season Underway With Some Pass-Rushing Pressure

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2016/08/jarvis-jones-gets-pressure-season-underway-pass-rushing-pressure/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter