Thread: Tomlin Compares Matakevich To Williams: “They Love To Play”

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Tomlin Compares Matakevich To Williams: “They Love To Play”

Looking good for *Dirty Red*

The Pittsburgh Steelers signed inside linebacker Vince Williams to a new contract on Tuesday and being as he was originally a sixth-round draft pick, head coach Mike Tomlin was asked Tuesday during his press conference if he’s seen any similarities between the Florida State product and one of this year’s seventh round selections, linebacker Tyler Matakevich.

Read more....
    http://www.steelersdepot.com/2016/08...ams-love-play/

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

Re: Tomlin Compares Matakevich To Williams: “They Love To Play”

I'm thinking they will place Matakevich on the PS then another team will steal him. Luckily we still have Jarvis Jones every single season.
    Hater = Realist

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

If Matakevich does not make the 53, he will be picked up by another team. The Eagles would love to have the Temple ILB.

Senior Member Array title="SteeleReign is a name known to all">

I'm not convinced anyone will put them on their 53. We all said the same thing about Chickillo.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

They need to keep Matakevich.

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

The only question mark right now is will he have durability in the NFL? Most likely his body holds up fine. If he gets a second contract he will be a steal. He is a baller and that is one intangible that some players lack believe it or not.
    All Defense!

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ALLD View Post
    The only question mark right now is will he have durability in the NFL? Most likely his body holds up fine. If he gets a second contract he will be a steal. He is a baller and that is one intangible that some players lack believe it or not.
    He seems to get off blocks nicely and doesn't throw his body into the ball carrier. He wraps up the the ball carrier below the knees, I think he'll hold up well.

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

I think he will make the roster, he actually tackles which is nice too.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rotorhead View Post
    I think he will make the roster, he actually tackles which is nice too.

It's bizarre to say this, but......in today's NFL it really is unusual to see someone that knows how to and consistently form tackle anymore.

The game really has changed a lot over the last couple decades.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Someone tell my why this guy gets on the 53? Because scrappiness?

can he cover tight ends down the seam? Backs in the flat? Can he rush the passer through the interior gaps?

These me are all the things that a 3-4 inside backer must do at a fairly high level. If this dude can do all these things - then great! So far I haven't read anything about whether or not the dude can play ball or not just that he hustles and tries really hard.

So so would I for even a camp check.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post

can he cover tight ends down the seam? Backs in the flat? Can he rush the passer through the interior gaps?

These me are all the things that a 3-4 inside backer must do at a fairly high level. If this dude can do all these things - then great! So far I haven't read anything about whether or not the dude can play ball or not just that he hustles and tries really hard.

I've got a better question. Why is Jarvis Jones still on the roster?

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    I've got a better question. Why is Jarvis Jones still on the roster?
    That is a separate question. I don't know why - reasons? MOSTLY that there are no competent OLB on the roster.

Either way way the solution is most likely not to double down on unathletic players.

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Interception by him!

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

I'm sold. The Steelers can't let Matakevich go.

He's a playmaker.

Nice tackles, nice pick on only 9 plays. The fact is Red have made the most of the few snaps he's had in three preseason game. I'm sure he makes the roster
    Last edited by Shoes; 08-27-2016 at 10:24 AM. Reason: Update on # of plays

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

Because he's a football player. He makes plays. You don't have to run a 4.4 40 to make it in the NFL. He has great instincts for the ball.

What good does all of that speed do for Shazier when he flies past the ball carrier?

Who else do we have at ILB after Williams? I'm not seeing a ton of talent there that's going to keep Dirty Red off the roster.
    I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play!- Jack Lambert

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

Sometimes players just have the "it" factor. As far as I have seen Williams can't cover anyone, but he just received a new contract.

Perhaps he will be a flop, but I see more talent and potential in Makatevich than I ever have in J. Jones. I really hope Chickillo starts lighting it up. I can't wait until Jones is gone.

can play ball or not just that he hustles and tries really hard
    It remains to be seen, but he has shown some ability and flashes. A+ for his hustle and effort.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2016/08...n-play-eagles/
    Hater = Realist

When Tomlin crowned him *Dirty Red* he became a Steeler for life.

Banned Array title="steelerkitty will become famous soon enough">

Try reading this son...then get back to me.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profil...ich?id=2555171

Quote Originally Posted by steelerkitty View Post

Why are you responding this way? Mojouw is a good guy and adds a lot to this forum. He always has good questions and thoughts.

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    Why are you responding this way? Mojouw is a good guy and adds a lot to this forum. He always has good questions and thoughts.
    Because Steelerkitty is either an ass or a troll.........or both. Only comes around to stir the s&@t.

Quote Originally Posted by steelerkitty View Post

I did read that. And about a dozen other scouting reports that say the same thing. They all basically say that dude made plays on Saturdays but is maxed out athletically. This raises the question of whether or not he can make the same plays on Sundays.

So where does that leave things? Somewhere between Zac Miller who was able to make plays on Sundays and Jarvis Jones who has not been able to translate college success to NFL production.

So, Dad, do you actually have anything to contribute? Or should we get Matakevich's bust in Canton ready?

I like watching the guy play. Just like I liked watching Olsavsky play. I worry that both can be isolated and exposed athletically.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

I did read that. And about a dozen other scouting reports that say the same thing. They all basically say that dude made plays on Saturdays but is maxed out athletically. This raises the question of whether or not he can make the same plays on Sundays.

So where does that leave things? Somewhere between Zac Miller who was able to make plays on Sundays and Jarvis Jones who has not been able to translate college success to NFL production.

So, Dad, do you actually have anything to contribute? Or should we get Matakevich's bust in Canton ready?

I like watching the guy play. Just like I liked watching Olsavsky play. I worry that both can be isolated and exposed athletically.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

44... like Jerry West.

I like it.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post
    look at the other team's helmets...

was he playing against the Steelers?

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    look at the other team's helmets...

was he playing against the Steelers?

This time he's on the right side!