Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Watching Landry Jones makes me wanna start thinking about suicide again!!

Banned Array title="LloydWoodson is a glorious beacon of light">

Re: Watching Landry Jones makes me wanna start thinking about suicide again!!

The Steelers need a backup QB that can steal a game or two if Ben goes out in the regular season.

Charlie Batch was excellent because he had starter experience and was a good teammate as well happy in his role.

Hard to find a competitor who doesn't want to start for another team that is willing to be more than a stop gap.

Steelers should be looking for veteran QBs as backups going forward. It is just hard to find good ones that aren't a big cap hit and don't want to jump ship after one or two years.

Senior Member Array title="RunNGun has a reputation beyond repute"> RunNGun's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LloydWoodson View Post
    The Steelers need a backup QB that can steal a game or two if Ben goes out in the regular season.

Charlie Batch was excellent because he had starter experience and was a good teammate as well happy in his role.

Hard to find a competitor who doesn't want to start for another team that is willing to be more than a stop gap.

Steelers should be looking for veteran QBs as backups going forward. It is just hard to find good ones that aren't a big cap hit and don't want to jump ship after one or two years.
    Agreed. People think that backup QBs grow on trees. Steelers are in a very good situation at the QB position compared to a lot of other teams. We don't know how good we have it. I believe Landry Jones is fully capable of leading us to at least .500 if Ben goes down. (Knock on wood)

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

19/22 206 Yards(9.4 YPA),1 TD 0 int,QB rating of 120.8 for Jones.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Much better. I think having Bell, DWil, Wheaton, and some starting O-line protection helped.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Jones had a nice TD pass to Coates. The throw looked easy, seemd like he knew that Coates would be open as soon as the ball got snapped.

He had a rough game against Philly, but the receivers have to help him out.

Senior Member Array title="RunNGun has a reputation beyond repute"> RunNGun's Avatar

Amazing what he can do when he has more weapons. Where are the haters this week?

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Jones is not always consistent but he is a decent backup and I think he can get us through a few games at .500 with the personnel we have.
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Quote Originally Posted by GBMelBlount View Post
    Jones is not always consistent but he is a decent backup and I think he can get us through a few games at .500 with the personnel we have.
    Which is all you can really ask of a backup QB, unless you're dilusional. You can't expect a backup to step in and the offense not miss a beat.

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Landry Jones had a perfect 100 percent adjusted completion percentage, as he completed 19 of 22 pass attempts, with the three incompletions being a drop, a batted pass, and a throw-away. It was Jones’ highest passing grade of his career—preseason or regular season.

read more

https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro...r-brown-shine/

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

I'm pretty sure Landry secured his spot as Ben's back up last night. As far as NFL back up's go, he's par for the course. Nothing special, but he knows the system and will give this team a chance to win if he's called upon. Hopefully he wont be though, except in mop up mode.
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

The New Orleans game was what this team needed.

Ben got to play just two series and he and the starting offense tore up the defense on two consecutive drives....Mission accomplished.

Landry Jones came in and played well the entire time he was in the game...Mission accomplished.

Jesse James looked very good when the quarterbacks knew what they were doing....Mission accomplished.

Several rookies played well, particularly Hargrave who looked awesome....Mission accomplished.

We as fans need to keep things in perspective. The NO defense is putrid. If Ben and the starters played the whole game, it looked like they could have easily dropped 50 on them.

Landry needed a chance to play with more starters and to go against a defense that would boost his confidence going into the regular season. He played well, but the defense he went up against was in a perpetual state of confusion. It was exactly what this team and Jones needed.

Landry Jones does not appear to be a starting quarterback in this league. That's not a bad thing. He is a homegrown player that knows the offense. He is not going to get ridiculous offers from other teams, and I believe the Steelers will probably try to extend his contract with the team as a long-term back up/emergency starter as long as Ben is here. Landry Jones isn't a great player, but it's who we have....and that has to be good enough right now.

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    I'm not sold on on Landry, and would love to upgrade next year at that position, however, given the choice between him and whoever's out on the FA market now, I'll pick Landry.
    Roster cut downs have started. We'll see who becomes available to add to the roster. I don't see us going into the season with just 2 QBs.

Landry will be the #2 this season.
    I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play!- Jack Lambert

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zulater View Post
    I'm pretty sure Landry secured his spot as Ben's back up last night. As far as NFL back up's go, he's par for the course. Nothing special, but he knows the system and will give this team a chance to win if he's called upon. Hopefully he wont be though, except in mop up mode.
    I have to say he should have it secured since he is the only one available with more than 2 weeks of practice on the team. Landry jones will be our #2. He SHOULD be our #2. Doesn't make him any better as a player than he was in Philly. I DO NOT HATE LANDRY JONES, I do hate he is a terrible NFL QB. I sincerely hope we never have to see him take the field this season.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    The New Orleans game was what this team needed.

Ben got to play just two series and he and the starting offense tore up the defense on two consecutive drives....Mission accomplished.

Landry Jones came in and played well the entire time he was in the game...Mission accomplished.

Jesse James looked very good when the quarterbacks knew what they were doing....Mission accomplished.

Several rookies played well, particularly Hargrave who looked awesome....Mission accomplished.

We as fans need to keep things in perspective. The NO defense is putrid. If Ben and the starters played the whole game, it looked like they could have easily dropped 50 on them.

Landry needed a chance to play with more starters and to go against a defense that would boost his confidence going into the regular season. He played well, but the defense he went up against was in a perpetual state of confusion. It was exactly what this team and Jones needed.

Landry Jones does not appear to be a starting quarterback in this league. That's not a bad thing. He is a homegrown player that knows the offense. He is not going to get ridiculous offers from other teams, and I believe the Steelers will probably try to extend his contract with the team as a long-term back up/emergency starter as long as Ben is here. Landry Jones isn't a great player, but it's who we have....and that has to be good enough right now.
    Agreed. Landry Jones is not who we want, but he's who we have, and at this point this preseason, he will and should be Ben's #2. Bubby Brister would have made a great backup to a QB like Ben. Never want him to start for us again though.

Senior Member Array title="mark0933 will become famous soon enough">
    Bully Basher Champion!

Quote Originally Posted by mark0933 View Post
    What is going to come out of San Diego? Is Mettenberger their 3rd or 4th?
    I guess we know the answer now. I watched him in Tenn before he got replaced by Mariota and he looked decent (but he had no supporting cast there). If he can get his head on straight and rebuild the confidence, I think its a good pick up for us.

Senior Member Array title="Buckinnuts is on a distinguished road"> Buckinnuts's Avatar

Just pathetic......

KNOCKIN ON 7'S DOOR!

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Buckinnuts View Post
    Just pathetic......
    The team was uninspired. They just went through the motions except for a handful who were trying to climb up the depth chart or secure a roster spot. I really wouldn't put too much stock in anything that happened this game.
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

Senior Member Array title="Buckinnuts is on a distinguished road"> Buckinnuts's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zulater View Post
    The team was uninspired. They just went through the motions except for a handful who were trying to climb up the depth chart or secure a roster spot. I really wouldn't put too much stock in anything that happened this game.
    I know but looks he looks like that 80% of the time so less than a year away till he is gone...fingers crossed

KNOCKIN ON 7'S DOOR!