Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sammie Coates dazzles

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Re: Sammie Coates dazzles

Let's take a look at that non Bryant, non Wheaton WR corps.

AB - best WR in the league
    Coates - totally unproven NFL commodity. Size-speed freak that could be a monster. Few first or second year WR's have ever helped to carry an offense however.
    DHB - runs like a deer and catches like a wall. Not the best #2 option on a SB team.
    Rogers - his next regular season NFL pass reception will be his first.
    Ayers - same as rogers except he is also SLOW. Not a recipe for success.
    The rest - some guys that have flashed on PS either with the Steelers or across the league.

Bottom line, you trade Wheaton and you suddenly have exactly ONE proven reliable NFL pass catcher at the position group + DHB - who traditionally tends to drop a ton of balls - often in big situations.

I agree with polamalubeast and hawkamn- keep Wheaton for one more year and take the 3rd or 4th round compensation pick you get when he leaves. No one will give you an

In all fairness to SteelersFan, he said to make a trade before week 6. I think he's wrong, but let's work through that logic for a moment.

Week six provides 10 weeks of games and about 13 weeks of practice, 3 of which will be in pads. Coaches will have the opportunity to see how a player develops during that period. So, what of the receivers?

• AB - !!
    • Coates - Came in and played a decent to good game in the playoffs. The concern I have about him is whether he can keep that level of play up in a regular game. Sometimes, players come in and have a great first game due to the intensity factor, but can't really do it in week in and week out games. Nevertheless, six games plus preseason should help determine that before week six.
    • Eli Rodgers - I expect to see him on the field as much or more than Coates in the preseason. Stepping into the year, his work will back down considerably. However, if we enter the year assuming there might be room to trade Wheaton, then Rodgers will see the field in a number of 3 receiver sets - enough for us to get a feel if he can help carry the load.
    • RBs. If Bell sits out, it will only be four weeks. Don't forget, Bell is our second best WR, let alone running back. With D-Will still with us, we can go to two-back sets and move Bell out wide, or simply line him up at WR. I remember reports saying he was breaking ankles of those trying to cover him in practice with his moves. A question mark here, however, is whether he can beat press coverage.

So, taking a closer look, trading Wheaton just before the deadline is not that far-fetched on paper. Real life, however, is a different story, and with the injuries this team take anymore, I would be very uncomfortable letting Wheaton go.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    In all fairness to SteelersFan, he said to make a trade before week 6. I think he's wrong, but let's work through that logic for a moment.

Week six provides 10 weeks of games and about 13 weeks of practice, 3 of which will be in pads. Coaches will have the opportunity to see how a player develops during that period. So, what of the receivers?

• AB - !!
    • Coates - Came in and played a decent to good game in the playoffs. The concern I have about him is whether he can keep that level of play up in a regular game. Sometimes, players come in and have a great first game due to the intensity factor, but can't really do it in week in and week out games. Nevertheless, six games plus preseason should help determine that before week six.
    • Eli Rodgers - I expect to see him on the field as much or more than Coates in the preseason. Stepping into the year, his work will back down considerably. However, if we enter the year assuming there might be room to trade Wheaton, then Rodgers will see the field in a number of 3 receiver sets - enough for us to get a feel if he can help carry the load.
    • RBs. If Bell sits out, it will only be four weeks. Don't forget, Bell is our second best WR, let alone running back. With D-Will still with us, we can go to two-back sets and move Bell out wide, or simply line him up at WR. I remember reports saying he was breaking ankles of those trying to cover him in practice with his moves. A question mark here, however, is whether he can beat press coverage.

So, taking a closer look, trading Wheaton just before the deadline is not that far-fetched on paper. Real life, however, is a different story, and with the injuries this team take anymore, I would be very uncomfortable letting Wheaton go.
    I can see the logic. But there is no way that you are getting more than a 3rd or a 4th round pick for Wheaton from anyone. That is about the same ceiling/anticipated return as the Steelers get in compensatory draft picks.

The question, at least to me, is what does trading Wheaton get the Steelers this year and next? The answer, would seem to be, nothing more than just letting him walk away gets them. Arguably a half season less of production in a Steelers uniform.

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

I agree with most here, no need to trade him (unless some desperate team is willing to part with a 1st or 2nd for some reason). Let him play out this year and who knows, maybe he plays lights out and we resign him, or maybe he plays well enough for a SB ring and gets a big payday elsewhere and we get a comp pick. Either way, I think he is better for us now on a SB run than any draftees will be next season. SB windows are short, so while our window seems to come up often, we have a realistic chance with win THIS YEAR. Why would you jeopardize that by trading away a good player for players that are not going to help next year or possibly ever (Sweed anyone).

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">