Is Ben Roethlisberger turning into Brett Favre?

The Steelers quarterback threw the second-most interceptions of his career last season. While he would prefer to throw none, the intent that led to some of them was honorable, he feels.

“I think just almost taking more chances, not being afraid to make the play,” he reasoned. “I think that’s the way our offense is right now. Our offense is potentially a dangerous offense. We were top three the last few years. We have a lot of weapons.”

Roethlisberger threw 16 interceptions, even though he missed four full games. He threw just nine in 2014 when he played every game. The only time he threw more was his third season, when he was picked off 23 times.

Favre led the league three times in interceptions and topped 20 in six seasons, with a high of 29. He had 336 passes picked off in his career with a 3.3 interception percent. Roethlisberger has thrown 147 interceptions with a 2.7 rate. Favre will be inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame next Saturday.

“It’s almost like you take the gunslinger mentality if you will,” Roethlisberger said of an aggressiveness that can lead to an interception. “I’m going to go out and throw the ball around. You don’t want to turn it over, but sometimes you have to take chances, and with the players we have I’m not opposed to taking chances.

“You never want to turn the ball over. That drives me crazy, but I’m also not going to be afraid to take chances. It’s a calculated risk. I think you have to do that.”

read more

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/s...ime=1469818776