Thread: Dupree hopes fewer pounds equal more sacks for Steelers

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Dupree hopes fewer pounds equal more sacks for Steelers

LATROBE, Pa. -- The Pittsburgh Steelers didn't have to worry about second-year outside linebacker Bud Dupree failing any conditioning tests at training camp this week.

He looked imposing when addressing the media Thursday.

Turns out Dupree put in some serious work this offseason, dropping his weight from 270-plus pounds to around 254.

"No carbs," Dupree smiled.

He also relied on boxing training with noted pass-rush trainer Chuck Smith to stay fit. After the season, Dupree realized his previous weight might have held him back. Dupree failed to record a sack in the final eight games of 2015. At the time, Dupree acknowledged hitting a rookie mental wall. But weight management was also a factor.

It's early in 2016, but so far Dupree is feeling light-years better than his rookie season.

"Conditioning-wise, and playbook-wise," Dupree said.

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin isn't surprised by the weight loss, acknowledging reserve pass-rusher Anthony Chickillo also dropped weight. For Dupree, though, the benefit comes in quickness. Dupree was fast even before shedding those pounds, recording a sub-4.6-second 40 during draft season at 260-plus.

"My No. 1 thing is speed," Dupree said. "I have to make sure people know that's my threat. I have to have counter moves [to complement speed]."

If Dupree becomes the force his frame suggests he can be, the Steelers could have their next great edge rusher. First, though, Dupree must prove he has the edge and the instincts to play the position every down.

http://espn.go.com/blog/pittsburgh-s...burgh-steelers

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Re: Dupree hopes fewer pounds equal more sacks for Steelers

Hopefully he is not another Woodley.
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Offseason >> Nothing to talk about >>Therefore, label him a bust or overrated >> Increase post count for all

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Good sign,

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

I am happy to hear he lost weight. He was too heavy and sluggish last year.
    Hater = Realist

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

A lighter Dupree could lead to serious sack increase. Glad this dude seems to have the motivation to want to get better

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

"Bud Light" Dupree

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

http://www.pennlive.com/steelers/ind...s_gummies.html

Pleasantly surprised to get two-hundred dollars in cash and a congratulatory note from Art Rooney II and Dan Rooney, Pittsburgh Steelers outside linebacker Bud Dupree began spending it on candy.

Dupree went to the GetGo gas station a block away from the UPMC Rooney Sports Complex on East Carson Street. He sent his friend into the store.
    And got 14 bags of Life Savers gummies.

Wait, so who gave him the $200????

#CRASHFormation

Thank God he stood there and let the Ravens FB score, or we lose.

He's awesome as a pass rusher though. Relentless. He's going to be a good.

Quote Originally Posted by #CRASHFormation View Post

He's awesome as a pass rusher though. Relentless. He's going to be a good.
    Is this sarcasm?
    Hater = Realist

#CRASHFormation

Nope. Watch him. He always goes after the ball. Never stops as a pass rusher.

Nope. Watch him. He always goes after the ball. Never stops as a pass rusher.
    But if he rarely applies pressure then it shows he just doesn't have it. Chickillo is in the same boat. He is relentless also. I think a full year from Dupree is needed to make a good judgement either way.
    Hater = Realist

#CRASHFormation

Keep him out of coverage. He spends a lot of time in it.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Keep him out of coverage. He spends a lot of time in it.
    He also spends a ton of time failing to turn the corner in the pass rush. He almost always beats the LT with that lightening first step, then the tackle uses the advantage of having the inside line to run Dupree up and around the QB in an arc. It is simple geometry. Until Dupree learns to play with speed AND leverage, he isn't going to be anything special. Harrison is the best example of how important leverage is to a pass rusher. He has been destroying NFL tackles for years by bending that corner, getting underneath, and forcing the tackle to either give up a sack or hold. And yes, I know it isn't called enough! BTW can we take a moment and marvel at how Deebo gets around tackles while parts of his body, including his ankles, are basically parallel to the ground? Incredible!

I agree with Steeldude (I know?! Who would've thought?!) completely. Dupree and Chickillo both have amazing passion and drive, but they still have not married that to enough technique to produce consistent and game altering pass rush pressure. Can they? Maybe, the Steelers certainly seem to think so. Since both are basically still rookies in terms of NFL snaps, I am by no means ready to give up on either one. This off-season will be key.