Thread: Steelers, Timmons 'not close' to contract extension

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Steelers, Timmons 'not close' to contract extension

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Re: Steelers, Timmons 'not close' to contract extension

Good! They shouldn't be doing an extension on that fucked-up restructured mess of a contract. We actually have the cap space to swallow the whole shit sandwich this year and be done with it - that's much better than dragging it out with like a $10 million cap hit every year for the next 3 years. Finish it and be done with it, and if we want to re-sign him for next season, we're free to do so, WITHOUT him holding huge leverage over us.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

Unless we can lock him up for the next 2-3 years about the same cost we are paying this year, then it makes a lot of sense. We should not pay him (I don't remember the exact numbers right now so this is an example) $15m this season, then sign him for $5m each of the next 2 seasons ($25m total) if we can pay him $20m for the same 3 seasons right?

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rotorhead View Post
    Unless we can lock him up for the next 2-3 years about the same cost we are paying this year, then it makes a lot of sense. We should not pay him (I don't remember the exact numbers right now so this is an example) $15m this season, then sign him for $5m each of the next 2 seasons ($25m total) if we can pay him $20m for the same 3 seasons right?
    He's costing us a $15M cap hit this season, but I think only half of that is his actual salary and the rest is funny money that's been carried over from all the restructures.

While I wouldn't be opposed to re-signing him for a couple more years at a rate close to what you mentioned, if we did it now, we would inevitably stretch out the cap hit so that instead of being 15-5-5, it would be more like 8-8-9 and we just drag out the too-high cap number and dead money issue for two more seasons. Which we've done in the past to free up money in the short term, but we don't really need any more cap space this season. If we can just get all that damn dead money over with and sign him to a normal contract after the season, then fine.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

No restructure. Let his contract expire then negotiate a new one at a substantially lower amount. Timmons' abilities are far from where they used to be.
    Hater = Realist

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post
    No restructure. Let his contract expire then negotiate a new one at a substantially lower amount. Timmons' abilities are far from where they used to be.
    agree.

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    He's costing us a $15M cap hit this season, but I think only half of that is his actual salary and the rest is funny money that's been carried over from all the restructures.

While I wouldn't be opposed to re-signing him for a couple more years at a rate close to what you mentioned, if we did it now, we would inevitably stretch out the cap hit so that instead of being 15-5-5, it would be more like 8-8-9 and we just drag out the too-high cap number and dead money issue for two more seasons. Which we've done in the past to free up money in the short term, but we don't really need any more cap space this season. If we can just get all that damn dead money over with and sign him to a normal contract after the season, then fine.
    Note however, you agree we're okay with the cap this year, and it's the year we eat all the pushed monies from Timmons' cap. I point this out as an example of how the FO probably has a plan when they're pushing back cap hits. They made room in previous years they needed, and now are paying the piper without residual effect.

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

I see the positive of just eating the hit now, but I also like the fiscal responsibility of instead of paying $25m over 3 years, paying say $22m over 3 years and doing something like $12m (salary + Bonus) this year and then $6m and $4m. That we we still take our medicine this year, and the following years we are on the hook for little if something were to happen. Of course I am fine with eating the $15m now also and getting a new contract for 2 years after as well. I just think we need to keep him for a couple more years so we can draft his replacement and give that ILB at least a year in the system before we need him to start, and if he is a bust (AKA Jarvie) we are not in the same situation we are in now with our OLB's cause we have another year to try to get someone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    Note however, you agree we're okay with the cap this year, and it's the year we eat all the pushed monies from Timmons' cap. I point this out as an example of how the FO probably has a plan when they're pushing back cap hits. They made room in previous years they needed, and now are paying the piper without residual effect.
    Sort of. We did the financially responsible thing this one time, but there were about 40,000 other contracts over the past several years where we pushed back cap hits and suffered mightily for it. So I don't know if this is the FO having everything planned out years in advance, or more of a one-off happy accident.

If it hadn't been for the 2008-09 draft classes both completely washing out, we'd probably not be in a position to absorb this kind of cap hit. Stack a couple of star players worth $8M-$10M a year on top of our current commitments, and we're restructuring on top of restructures again, and it would've cost us key players by now, no doubt about it. (As it is, the only reason it didn't is because we didn't have anyone worth paying for two years, so the joke is kind of still on us.)

Anyway, I'm glad we actually have the ability to deal with it this time in a way that's not going to hurt us down the road. Now let's see if they resist the temptation to do it ...
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Good! They shouldn't be doing an extension on that fucked-up restructured mess of a contract. We actually have the cap space to swallow the whole shit sandwich this year and be done with it - that's much better than dragging it out with like a $10 million cap hit every year for the next 3 years. Finish it and be done with it, and if we want to re-sign him for next season, we're free to do so, WITHOUT him holding huge leverage over us.
    Great point.

However if drawing this out allows us to afford one more piece that helps us to win a Super Bowl, it is worth considering.
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Senior Member Array title="SteelMayhem72 has much to be proud of"> SteelMayhem72's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post
    Totally disagree...dont base last season on your assessment...he had an injury. When healthy, which he has been most of the time i think he is a very good sideline to sideline LB. Hes underrated imho.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Sort of. We did the financially responsible thing this one time, but there were about 40,000 other contracts over the past several years where we pushed back cap hits and suffered mightily for it. So I don't know if this is the FO having everything planned out years in advance, or more of a one-off happy accident.

If it hadn't been for the 2008-09 draft classes both completely washing out, we'd probably not be in a position to absorb this kind of cap hit. Stack a couple of star players worth $8M-$10M a year on top of our current commitments, and we're restructuring on top of restructures again, and it would've cost us key players by now, no doubt about it. (As it is, the only reason it didn't is because we didn't have anyone worth paying for two years, so the joke is kind of still on us.)

Anyway, I'm glad we actually have the ability to deal with it this time in a way that's not going to hurt us down the road. Now let's see if they resist the temptation to do it ...
    Yes and no. I'll give you what you said above concerning the draft classes. But we also have to remember that backfilling all those contracts and restructuring them was purposed for the reason of keeping the 2008-2010 team together for another run at the SB. The Rooneys outright admitted they pushed for it and accepted having a downtime thereafter so they could clear the books and begin to rebuild. On a different note, what shocks me is that we went 8-8 and rebuilt in two seasons to the point where we can legitimately talk AFFCG contender, and with a little bit of hope and luck, SB contender.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SteelMayhem72 View Post
    Totally disagree...dont base last season on your assessment...he had an injury. When healthy, which he has been most of the time i think he is a very good sideline to sideline LB. Hes underrated imho.
    Honestly, I saw no appreciable drop off when Vince Williams was on the field in place of Timmons, and the observation goes back further than just last season.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

It'll be interesting what they do, Vince Williams is also a FA after the season.

I just can't see them letting Timmons walk though.