Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Bell facing 4-game suspension.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Re: Bell facing 4-game suspension.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Is that what is known as a contact "Hi" ?

STEELER NATION RULES ! Array title="katmandu has much to be proud of"> katmandu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    LOL

Truth be told: I'm annoyed at the guy in front of me who was driving 25 in a 45, swerving between lanes, who then completed STOPPED in the middle of the street... who followed that up by swerving into ONCOMING traffic (before meandering back onto the correct side).

When I was able to pass him, I saw him looking at his phone, panning it from left to right, and tapping the screen in a frenzy.
    .... or crashing into a Police car while playing Pokemon GO !!

http://www.cnn.com/videos/us/2016/07...orig-vstan.cnn
    "Never argue with a fool; onlookers may not be able to tell the difference." -- Mark Twain

Support Steelers Universe with a Donation via PayPal !

http://www.steelersuniverse.com/foru....php?do=donate

STEELER NATION RULES ! Array title="katmandu has much to be proud of"> katmandu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    As long as it doesn't interfere with their performance on the field, who cares. Show up drunk and high every day for all I care.
    So how do you know and test for a player that is fucking up on the field ?

How many plays does he need to blow before you start suspecting that he's playing under the influence of drugs and/or alcohol ? 1 ? 2 ? 3 plays ?? How many ? How many "free passes" do you give him before doing something about it ?

IMHO, it's complete bullshit that athlete performs BETTER when they are under the influence of drugs and/or alcohol.

We all know that drugs/alcohol effect the brain causing impaired judgement. Having to make quick decisions on routes to run, who to block, change of plays at the line of scrimmage all require one's mind to be sharp and focused.

Ok, now you suspect that a player IS playing under the influence. HOW do you test him for it ON THE SPOT ?

Alcohol ? Easy. Here, blow into this breathalyzer.

Weed ?? There is no reliable test out there on the market to do an on-the-spot QUANTITATIVE analysis. NONE. The only way to test for it is to pee in a cup. That test is QUALITATIVE (POS or NEG) and the THC stays in one's system for up to 30 days.
    "Never argue with a fool; onlookers may not be able to tell the difference." -- Mark Twain

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by katmandu View Post
    So how do you know and test for a player that is fucking up on the field ?

How many plays does he need to blow before you start suspecting that he's playing under the influence of drugs and/or alcohol ? 1 ? 2 ? 3 plays ?? How many ? How many "free passes" do you give him before doing something about it ?
    The same number of plays as you'd pull him for fucking up under any other circumstances. Poor performance is poor performance and it doesn't matter why. By the same token, good performance is good performance and I don't care whether you're high or not.

Some players we had on the team last year didn't even need to be high to set the all-time record for fucking up.

Quote Originally Posted by katmandu View Post
    IMHO, it's complete bullshit that athlete performs BETTER when they are under the influence of drugs and/or alcohol.

We all know that drugs/alcohol effect the brain causing impaired judgement. Having to make quick decisions on routes to run, who to block, change of plays at the line of scrimmage all require one's mind to be sharp and focused.

Ok, now you suspect that a player IS playing under the influence. HOW do you test him for it ON THE SPOT ?

Alcohol ? Easy. Here, blow into this breathalyzer.

Weed ?? There is no reliable test out there on the market to do an on-the-spot QUANTITATIVE analysis. NONE. The only way to test for it is to pee in a cup. That test is QUALITATIVE (POS or NEG) and the THC stays in one's system for up to 30 days.

No, I don't think most people are going to perform better while high. Although speed seems to improve reactions and such.

If you suspect the player is high, the test for it is whether he's playing well enough to stay in or poorly enough to take him out. It takes care of itself that way.

Again, the whole point of this was about what players do in their spare time, not getting high on the field. Obviously you don't want that and I don't know how the conversation got steered that way, but anyway, there's your answer to that too.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

The problem with weed is if it is condoned then the smokers will get sloppy and stupid. They will walk around with marijuana leaf t-shirts and do other dumb stuff. They are already some of the dumbest people to ever go to college, so the NFL has a point.
    All Defense!

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ALLD View Post
    The problem with weed is if it is condoned then the smokers will get sloppy and stupid. They will walk around with marijuana leaf t-shirts and do other dumb stuff. They are already some of the dumbest people to ever go to college, so the NFL has a point.
    It'd be no worse than the NBA, if that's any comfort.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Yeah, he missed those tests because he got a new phone, sounds a lot like Brady "accidentally" breaking his phone during the deflategate investigation

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

I am pretty sure Denver PD has a mobile tester that can test ppl on the spot without peeing in a cup. I think it is a mouth swap and takes about 5m.

Old School Misfit Array title="silver & black has a reputation beyond repute"> silver & black's Avatar

the issue is the culture surrounding it. Many teams, such as the Raiders of the 70s (as you pointed out), promote a permissive culture.
    I hear you. I would disagree in so far as, I don't believe it was as much "promoting" a permissive culture as it was turning their heads/a blind eye to it. Al Davis wanted to win at all cost..... right or wrong. I don't personally agree with that philosophy, but it's a business, then and now. As long as they performed on Sunday and won games...... it didn't matter what they did the other 6 days. I doubt it's really that much different today.... with any team.

The internet has spawned a whole new "culture" of it's own. NOTHING goes unnoticed for more than 15 minutes. There is no getting away with anything.

Quote Originally Posted by ALLD View Post
    I agree.

Imagine how you'd feel if you took your pre-teen and a couple of their friends to meet and great with a Steeler's player. You arrive there to get his autograph and he is totally shit-faced stoned. I don't know about you, but I'd be pissed off as hell at him and would probably let him know about it !

Or the Steeler is giving a TV interview and he's totally shit-faced stoned. Sure would make the Steeler organization look like a bunch of freaking LOSERS wouldn't it ?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rotorhead View Post
    I am pretty sure Denver PD has a mobile tester that can test ppl on the spot without peeing in a cup. I think it is a mouth swap and takes about 5m.
    Never heard of that technology. Even IF it exists it still would be a QUALITATIVE (POSITIVE or NEGATIVE) test only.

It would be impossible to do a quantitative analysis for a drug solely based on a swap obtained from saliva from one's mouth.

Senior Member Array title="dislocatedday has a reputation beyond repute"> dislocatedday's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by silver & black View Post
    Well............... back in the 70's Al Davis kind of felt the same way. He didn't care what you did during the week as long as you came to play on Sunday. Hence, the saying..... "just win baby!"

I hope I'm not ruffling too many feathers here when I say this, because I like you guys and this site, but................ quite a lot of you seem to think/feel your organization is above reproach when it comes to player character. That just isn't true, no matter how much you would like to think it is. Your team is just as vulnerable to the a$$hole player as the next team.... especially these days. Yea, you would like all of your players to be great people and citizens, but it just isn't the reality of it today.
    I agree with this generally. It always makes me cringe a little bit when our fans think the organization will only put all high character and intelligent guys on the team and field. That is just not the case. Let's face it.....most football players are not exactly anywhere close to being mensa members, and like most pro athletes they have likely been coddled most of their lives and consistently told how great they are because of their athletic abilities. I would think this makes many of them feel invincible.

Now, I do think the Steelers threshold for putting up with off-field issues with a player is probably less than the average NFL team, but I can't prove that.

There's a number of problems with those, including the inability to determine exactly how much of the drug is in the system at the time, and also the fact they can be spoofed.

Yes that is true, it is a +/- test, but if it comes out +, then you go get arrested for a DUI and go pee in a cup. The point was, they can do that test right on the field for a +/- and if it is a + then the player can be immediately walked off the field under supervision of an NFL official and made to pee in a cup with a team there waiting to administer any tests. Not that it would matter, any player smoking up before a game has other issues as being high on pot certainly wouldnt help performance. I doubt it would ever come to this though, for the reasons stated above. The team would probably bench you for poor play before anything else.

- - - Updated - - -

As for Bell, there are reports out now saying the tester didn't contact Bell, so maybe it was a mistake on the NFL, not disseminating the new info to the tester or something along those lines. Hopefully this blows over and is a non-issue. Then we only have the BS Harrison news to deal with.

The team would probably bench you for poor play before anything else.
    That's the crux of it right there. All this notion of in-game drug use/drug testing is irrelevant horseshit.

The coach is not going to go "Hey, my starting cornerback is playing lights-out but I think he might be high - I'm going to pull him out of the game despite playing well and make him take a drug test!"

Similarly, he's not going to go "My starting cornerback just gave up four touchdowns - I wonder whether it's because of drugs or because he just sucks! Well, if it's because of drugs I'll pull him out, but if it's just because he's playing like crap I'll leave him in."

Well, that's true for most coaches anyway. With Tomlin, if the guy was just playing like crap, and his name was Antwon Blake, then he WOULD leave him in.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Original Member Array title="steelerdude15 has a brilliant future"> steelerdude15's Avatar

Covering the many conspiracies surrounding the suspension of Steelers RB Le'Veon Bell

Did NFL violate their own policy, in announcing Bell's suspension? Are they also covering their tracks? Or is Bell covering his own?

An interesting idea came about during a recent podcast with Christina Rivers: the NFL has a very strict drug policy, which borders on the same type of client privilege exercised in medical or legal fields. In laymen's terms, the Steelers, nor their players, staff or other personnel, are permitted to speak about suspensions before the information is released by the NFL.

Furthermore, there are certain conditions which prevent the league and it's members from discussing particular details about drug testing, and the results from a missed or failed result.

Read More: http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com...on-of-steelers

Interesting read, hopefully this just goes away.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Similarly, he's not going to go "My starting cornerback just gave up four touchdowns - I wonder whether it's because of drugs or because he just sucks! Well, if it's because of drugs I'll pull him out, but if it's just because he's playing like crap I'll leave him in."

Well, that's true for most coaches anyway. With Tomlin, if the guy was just playing like crap, and his name was Antwon Blake, then he WOULD leave him in.
    ... by the way, aren't we over the fact yet that Antwon Blake is not even on the team anymore? The dogpile has gone on for over two years now, so if you haven't realized that Blake is with another team by now, there's not much point to keeping up the flood of anti-Antwon Blake posts.

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    ... by the way, aren't we over the fact yet that Antwon Blake is not even on the team anymore? The dogpile has gone on for over two years now, so if you haven't realized that Blake is with another team by now, there's not much point to keeping up the flood of anti-Antwon Blake posts.
    Over Antwon Blake? I'm still pissed that it took us so long to get rid of Parker.

It reflects on the coaches. That's what's relevant about it.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Over Antwon Blake? I'm still pissed that it took us so long to get rid of Parker.
    Willie Parker's last season with the Steelers was in 2009, seven years ago.

it might be time for you to move on from that also. just saying...