Thread: Are two backs better than one?

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

Are two backs better than one?

Steelers contemplating Bell and Williams on the field together.

They were active for the same game just six times last season and aligned in the same backfield for perhaps six snaps.

But Le’ Veon Bell is convinced he’s going to be seeing a lot more of fellow running back DeAngelo Williams in the same huddle in 2016.

“There are definitely going to be packages where me and ‘D-Lo’ are going to be out there at the same time,” Bell said. “I’m ready for that.”

Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger isn’t as convinced, but he’s every bit as enthusiastic regarding the concept.

“That was something that we had talked about last year,” Roethlisberger said. “Unfortunately, we didn’t get a chance to do it. That could be a weapon for us, some two-minute-drill stuff, some no-huddle stuff, to have both of them on the field.”...........

Read more @ http://www.steelers.com/news/article...8-9f6f3b625400

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

Re: Are two backs better than one?

So many option and if one or the other can fake the D out with shake and bake then we have the ability to score from several levels on any given play.
    All Defense!

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ALLD View Post
    So many option and if one or the other can fake the D out with shake and bake then we have the ability to score from several levels on any given play.
    As long "faking the D out" doesn't lead to stupid shit like this that kills drives and momentum.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

As long as Le'Veon doesn't hear "Wake and Bake".....

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

If it is the right back at the right price.

Just a hunch.

"With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    As long "faking the D out" doesn't lead to stupid shit like this that kills drives and momentum.
    Meh,

It was one play, and the Steelers have a history of WR QBs that make those plays for big numbers. Using it every once in a while keeps the defense honest. Of course, I'm not sure that was the spot for it as we were gaining yards every play and had the Pats** on their heels that drive, but overall I'm not too worried about it.

As to the idea in general, I like it to a point. But I also want to see one RB always rested and ready to go, as well.

Banned Array title="LloydWoodson is a glorious beacon of light">

Doesn't matter. Tomlin has favorites and plays them no matter what and is scared of backs making mistakes.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LloydWoodson View Post
    Doesn't matter. Tomlin has favorites and plays them no matter what and is scared of backs making mistakes.
    Williams ended up missing the postseason as well, but prior to that he averaged 4.5 yards per carry, scored 11 rushing touchdowns, caught 40 passes and totaled 1,274 yards from scrimmage (second among Steelers to wide receiver Antonio Brown’s 1,862).

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

We've been hearing about two-back combos for the entire duration of Tomlin's tenure, and had the personnel to do it a few times. The most we've ever seen of it is about one series in the first game of the season, and then it's back to one feature back and only one feature back, 95% of the time until he drops dead. So I am not holding my breath.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    We've been hearing about two-back combos for the entire duration of Tomlin's tenure, and had the personnel to do it a few times. The most we've ever seen of it is about one series in the first game of the season, and then it's back to one feature back and only one feature back, 95% of the time until he drops dead. So I am not holding my breath.
    Uh, when? Before Williams came on board, it seems to me there's always been pretty much a HUGE drop off in talent from the #1 RB to the #2 RB since at least 2007, and the talent disparity was never more apparent than in late 2014 when Bell went down. I'm not giving someone like Super Runt snaps just for the sake of giving him snaps (and constantly winding up in 3rd-and-long as a result) when I have a thoroughbred in the stable.

And that's also not mentioning the five years (2008-12) of across-the-board mediocrity at the position when Spin-and-fall was far and away our best RB...

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

It's ridiculous!!!....Why Tomlin would have afraid of his RB when Bell has only one fumble in his career?

Many people in this forum in the past two years (Bell in 2014 and Williams in 2015) felt that our running back was too used.

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    Meh,

It was one play, and the Steelers have a history of WR QBs that make those plays for big numbers. Using it every once in a while keeps the defense honest. Of course, I'm not sure that was the spot for it as we were gaining yards every play and had the Pats** on their heels that drive, but overall I'm not too worried about it.

As to the idea in general, I like it to a point. But I also want to see one RB always rested and ready to go, as well.
    This offense can be very successful without the trick play and the trick play is very risky, especially when the offense is dominant.It can kill the momentum.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Uh, when? Before Williams came on board, it seems to me there's always been pretty much a HUGE drop off in talent from the #1 RB to the #2 RB since at least 2007, and the talent disparity was never more apparent than in late 2014 when Bell went down. I'm not giving someone like Super Runt snaps just for the sake of giving him snaps (and constantly winding up in 3rd-and-long as a result) when I have a thoroughbred in the stable.

And that's also not mentioning the five years (2008-12) of across-the-board mediocrity at the position when Spin-and-fall was far and away our best RB...

Parker and Mendenhall ... Bell and Blount ... Bell and Williams ... and even in the crap years there was usually a guy like Moore or someone who brought a different skill set to the table. I am talking about a two-back set where that kind of thing can be a benefit, not simply subbing out your main back for a scrub for an extended length of time, which is dumb (although in Parker's case, when it was obvious from 12:00 of the first quarter that he was going to have zero effectiveness, the scrub would've been better and the quick hook is something that would've helped us greatly).

Basically we have adopted the mindset that there can be one running back on the field at a given time and one only, except for the 10% of the time you also throw in a single-purpose fullback or H-back to tip your hand. That makes some sense if all your RBs are differently-talented versions of the same player (run only, with little pass-catching or other ability), but if you've got other tools in the box, might as well put them to use. Not instead of, but in addition to. No, not always running a two-back set and taking one of your receiving weapons off the field, but sometimes. Mixing things up a little bit is a good thing.

This is not just a Tomlin thing btw, probalby the last time we made really effective use of it goes all the way back to Morris/Foster, Morris/Pegram, and Pegram/Bettis. Unless you count the half a season Duce Staley played for us.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

I agree 100% with Steel Reserve.

I don't see a counter argument. He just listed the 1 + 2 combos.

I understand Bell not coming off the field because he is the best at everything but on the other hand I personally feel keeping him healthy for the playoffs should be the end game. Williams isn't much of a fall off from Bell as a pure runner but Bell is a much better receiver than any RB in the NFL.

Bell has had fluke injuries. Not saying Tomlin is responsible. I'm saying fewer touches = fewer chances for fluke injuries.

Tomlin keeps his RBs on a short leash. If they F up they are immediately benched etc. Bell is the exception. No doubt Williams has pissed off Tomlin with his stupid tweets (speculative yes but it would have pissed me off).

Anyways Bell is Tomlin's guy. It was a brilliant draft pick that makes Tomlin look like a genius. He will get 85% of all touches. There is no doubt. That's why I say there's no point discussing it. I don't think that should be a contentious view.

I'd like to add though what I would really like to see is ONE fullback on the roster. I thought Will Johnson was solid.

ONE TE/FB hybrid for depth in case the ONE FB gets hurt.

Two fullbacks splitting 5 snaps a game irritates me.

"Sure we have the personnel for smashmouth Steeler football... BUT..."

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    Consider...Williams is experienced with running the 2 back system in Carolina. He brings a level of talent and Knowledge previous backs here didn't have. Not totally convinced we will see it, but this would work with these 2.

I'd like to add though what I would really like to see is ONE fullback on the roster. I thought Will Johnson was solid.

ONE TE/FB hybrid for depth in case the ONE FB gets hurt.

Two fullbacks splitting 5 snaps a game irritates me.

"Sure we have the personnel for smashmouth Steeler football... BUT..."

Bad idea, since with the rules today, a FB is useless

And the best formation of the steelers is 3 WR, 1 RB and 1 TE.

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    Bad idea, since with the rules today, a FB is useless

And the best formation of the steelers is 3 WR, 1 RB and 1 TE.

A fullback who can ONLY block in the traditional FB role is completely useless, I agree. If he's also a threat to run the ball situationally or catch dump-offs, then you've got a guy worth having on the field sometimes. Unfortunately, most of the time we get the tweener H-Back bullshit, where the guy is a worse blocker than a FB and not really good at any of the other things either. Nix has some potential to be better than that, but we'll see.

Back to the main point: If we're talking about having two HBs on the field at once, who comes off the field? Probably your third receiver. Williams over DHB, Coates, or slot-receiver Wheaton is not a tradeoff I'd like making on a regular basis. Williams over 2nd-receiver Wheaton is the only one I would, but it depends on us making the stupid move of forcing Wheaton into the #2 job again, so hopefully it doesn't come up.

Basically, I can see a two-back set having its uses in letting us keep the defense off balance, run some plays we normally wouldn't, or at least threaten to. Probably not our best base offense, but it could definitely be effective in the same way the hurry-up offense is effective. I'd like to see it in at least a couple of drives a game. Mixing things up is rarely a bad thing if you're not stupid about it.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Bell and Willams on the field together could work since Williams and especially Bell can catch the ball......But it can not be our base offense.

Our base offense must be 3 WR, 1 TE and 1 RB.Our playmakers must be on the field!

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    Bell and Willams on the field together could work since Williams and especially Bell can catch the ball......But it can not be our base offense.

Our base offense must be 3 WR, 1 TE and 1 RB.Our playmakers must be on the field!
    Agreed. Like Ben's quote, would be a great option at goal line, or 2 min drill. What about on 3rd and short? Since, as we have discussed in other threads, Ben likes to go deep on 3rd and short. D would have to keep at least 1 extra guy in the box, and since both RBs are pass catching threats also, would likely be coverage guys.

Up The IRONS! GO STEELERS Array title="Iron Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Iron Steeler's Avatar

you dont want to both of them to get fatigued at the same time, one has to relief the other. But hurry up 2 minute drills before halftime, I am all for it.

Senior Member Array title="j-d-s is a jewel in the rough">

I think occasionally you can put Bell and DeAngelo in at the same time, considering that Bell is a really good receiver and has lined up as a receiver numerous times. I could also see Bell and DeAngelo both in the backfield, and then one in pass protection and the other one goes downfield as a receiver.

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

At this point it is moot.

All Defense!