Thread: Rutherford wants to keep Fleury, Murray in Penguins uniforms

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

Rutherford wants to keep Fleury, Murray in Penguins uniforms

General manager Jim Rutherford would like to see the Penguins start next season with a pair of No. 1 goaltenders in Marc-Andre Fleury and Matt Murray.

He'd like to have a 100 percent healthy Evgeni Malkin centering one of the team's top two lines, too.

Whether either or both will happen is still an open question, though, Rutherford said as players cleaned out their lockers and went through season-ending physical testing Thursday morning.

While Fleury was out of the lineup with a concussion, Murray took over the goaltending reins and led the Penguins to the Stanley Cup. Both are under contract for next season, but two potential problems are looming.

One, will Fleury be content sharing playing time when, at age 31, he's still in the prime of his career? He hasn't played fewer than 58 games over his past seven full seasons.

Two, will guidelines for an expansion draft to be held in the summer of 2017 make it impossible for the Penguins to hold on to both goaltenders long term? ..........

Read more @ http://triblive.com/sports/penguins/...rd-fleury-team

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

Re: Rutherford wants to keep Fleury, Murray in Penguins uniforms

Give them an opportunity to defend.
    All Defense!

Senior Member Array title="salamander has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: Rutherford wants to keep Fleury, Murray in Penguins uniforms

The ONLY argument that I would make for trading Fleury right now is that the Pens could desperately use the cap space. Other than that, they need to keep MAF around for at least another season.