Thread: Le'Veon Bell still says Cincy was out to hurt him

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Le'Veon Bell still says Cincy was out to hurt him

Le'Veon Bell still says Cincy was out to hurt him

By Conor Orr
    Around The NFL Writer
    Published: May 24, 2016

Le'Veon Bell is back.

The Steelers' Pro Bowl running back took part in portions of OTA drills Tuesday. According to the Pittsburgh Tribune, Bell did individual drills, but did not work during 11-on-11 portions of practice available to the media.

"They're just trying to protect me from myself," he said, adding that he was cleared medically. Bell tore his right MCL in a game against the Bengals in November.

The Bengals played a key role in Bell's meeting with the media this week, especially because the dynamic running back thinks his injury was not a coincidence. Vontaze Burfict was the main culprit, bringing Bell to the turf for the last time in 2015.

"I don't think it was just (Burfict); it was like the whole team was really out there trying to like twist my ankles and do little dirty stuff in between the piles," Bell said.

He also added: "I feel like there's a lot of teams that do that, try to take me out of the game."

Bell said that Burfict reached out to him during the offseason and said that he was happy to see Bell running again. It was a far cry from that November afternoon where, to many Steelers players, it seemed like the linebacker was celebrating the injury. Burfict ran to midfield to cheer with a fellow defensive player while Bell was being attended to medically.

Obviously, it was more gunpowder for the eventual explosion that took place in Cincinnati during the playoffs. The Bengals, for their part, have categorically denied any wrongdoing, especially when it came to Bell's injury.

It raises some interesting questions for Bell, and many star running backs of his caliber. To a fan, a running back sliding is abhorrent, but expected for a franchise-caliber quarterback. But doesn't Bell's value transcend the extra yard or two he might gain by throwing his shoulders down at the end of a long run?

to read rest of article:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...ut-to-hurt-him

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Re: Le'Veon Bell still says Cincy was out to hurt him

It raises some interesting questions for Bell, and many star running backs of his caliber. To a fan, a running back sliding is abhorrent, but expected for a franchise-caliber quarterback.

But doesn't Bell's value transcend the extra yard or two he might gain by throwing his shoulders down at the end of a long run?
    I don't feel that is normally something a highly competitive athlete is thinking about in the heat of battle.

Brady maybe.
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GBMelBlount View Post
    I don't feel that is normally something a highly competitive athlete is thinking about in the heat of battle.
    Franco Harris used to be widely criticized for running out of bounds instead of lowering his shoulders to gain that extra yard...

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    Franco Harris used to be widely criticized for running out of bounds instead of lowering his shoulders to gain that extra yard...
    I guess it depends on the situation too.

If it is a very important game or down I might be more critical of this

than if we are playing the browns and up by 2 scores and already in the playoffs.
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Senior Member Array title="43Hitman has a reputation beyond repute">
    3 Reel Treasure Slots Champion!

Situational football. Know when put down the shoulder, and know when to make a business decision. For the most part I think Le'Veon makes the right choice, he's just been unlucky. Here's to his major injuries being over with for the remainder of his career.

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post

First thing that came to my mind too. Franco took his slings and arrows for his running style, but he chose his spots wisely. Yeah he left a yard on the field here and there, but rarely before gaining the first down marker. Franco always gained the yards that mattered. And in the end while many of his contemporaries are limping through the final years of their life Franco walks without a limp and is sharp as a tack mentally.

As it applies to LeVeon. You don't have to kill yourself every play. It's ok to protect yourself if the situation allows it.
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

If a dirty player is out to get you, often it is only a matter of time.
    All Defense!

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

It raises some interesting questions for Bell, and many star running backs of his caliber. To a fan, a running back sliding is abhorrent, but expected for a franchise-caliber quarterback. But doesn't Bell's value transcend the extra yard or two he might gain by throwing his shoulders down at the end of a long run? He has played just one full 16-game season in the NFL so far.
    Please. The shot that ended Bell's season last year (and the year before) could've just as well happened on his first play of the season as his 250th and had ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with his running style.

There's really not much a guy can do when someone basically dives into his damn knee.

And if someone tries to twist his ankle in the pile after the whistle he needs to cleat them in the windpipe.

Finally, if Birth Defect doesn't tone it down with his cheapshotting BS, someone needs to retaliate in kind and take him out at the knees.

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

Somebody is going to take Burfict out next time he makes an attempt. Put James Harrison on offense for a few plays opposite him.
    All Defense!

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

I remember Marcus Allen talking about going out of bounds. He summed it up best:

Why take a hit for an extra yard, when it'll wear me down. I'd rather go out of bounds, and save "lowering my shoulder" for when I need a first down... or a touchdown.

For those who never saw/don't remember, Marcus was money inside of the 5-yard line. He'd push & push... and drive three guys backwards. So, yeah, he saved his energy for when he needed it.

Banned Array title="LloydWoodson is a glorious beacon of light">

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    I remember Marcus Allen talking about going out of bounds. He summed it up best:

Why take a hit for an extra yard, when it'll wear me down. I'd rather go out of bounds, and save "lowering my shoulder" for when I need a first down... or a touchdown.

For those who never saw/don't remember, Marcus was money inside of the 5-yard line. He'd push & push... and drive three guys backwards. So, yeah, he saved his energy for when he needed it.
    That's a good strategy. Power backs usually go against that philosophy and take a beating like Eddie George and Bettis. They give it out too but the hits add up.

Senior Member Array title="lipps83 has a reputation beyond repute"> lipps83's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LloydWoodson View Post
    That's a good strategy. Power backs usually go against that philosophy and take a beating like Eddie George and Bettis. They give it out too but the hits add up.
    How are Jerome's knees these days?

With all of the focus on concussions and shit these days, I would prefer to watch the players be more safe. I don't care if they don't make the 1st down as much these days. It is a game.

A game.

The outcome of a football game has never solved a single problem in the history of mankind, but it sure has made its own fair share of problems.

Banned Array title="LloydWoodson is a glorious beacon of light">

It's harder to get revenge on defensive players now that chop blocking is illegal. Just saying.