Thread: McCullers putting more than size to work

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

McCullers putting more than size to work

McCullers putting more than size to work

Teresa Varley
    Steelers.com

Dan McCullers knows he needs to bring every aspect of his game to the field this year.

When you see defensive tackle Dan McCullers, it’s completely impossible not to notice his size.

At 6-7, 352 pounds, he is a mountain of a man, size you think he could solely rely on to plug any hole on the defensive line.

The reality of it though, there is a lot more to football for young players than brute strength.

“It’s mental. I feel like it’s 90 percent mental,” said McCullers. “You have to take your work ethic, look at film, and practice your fundamentals. You can’t just depend on size because the offensive linemen could be quicker, smarter. They have one key over you and it could hurt you.

“I have to work on the fundamentals, leverage. I feel like I can be a great player. I just have to keep getting out there and grinding.”

McCullers, who first played football in high school, said he was behind the eight ball with his development but is now making the strides he needs.

“I am learning the game more,” he said. “I have started to progress each year. We have some great coaches that will teach you fundamentals and get you ready for battle. I am going to take everything in and just keep learning.”

Nobody has helped more in his development than assistant head coach/defensive line coach John Mitchell. Mitchell is heading into his 23rd year coaching the Steelers defensive line and when he tells a player something, they listen.

“Just every day his advice, you take it in,” said McCullers. “He has taught so many great players here, so many great defensive linemen. Brett Keisel, Casey Hampton, all those guys. I am going to take everything in and learn all I can. He taught the best, so he is going to continue to stay on me. He is demanding, but I am going to take it in and keep working.”

McCullers is hoping the work he puts in will translate into playing time this season. Starting nose tackle Steve McLendon signed with the New York Jets as a free agent this offseason, leaving a window open for McCullers to take advantage of.

“I have been here for two years but haven’t gotten a lot of playing time,” said McCullers. “I have been on and off the field. This year I am going to work my butt off and prove to the coaches I am capable of being a great player.

to read rest of article:

http://www.steelers.com/news/article...6-5a4cce642c47

Senior Member Array title="Bluecoat96 has a reputation beyond repute"> Bluecoat96's Avatar

Re: McCullers putting more than size to work

If, and it's a big if, the proverbial light switch turns on for McCullers this off-season, Holy hell will we do some damage. Let's hope the injury bug is kind to us this year.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    http://pic70.picturetrail.com/VOL1850/7714131/15251346/321617073.jpg

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

Sounds to me like he could have a big year, time will tell but I am hopeful.

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

He needs to get serious about the game and his career. He needs a mean streak like #75 to reach his full potential. Nice guys don't make good pass rushers.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=...63096164128173
    All Defense!

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

I hope he's also putting his farts to work. At 350+ pounds, those would be EPIC.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="salamander has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    I hope he's also putting his farts to work. At 350+ pounds, those would be EPIC.