Thread: Antonio Brown, Steelers special teams coach never wanted Jacoby Jones returning punts

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Antonio Brown, Steelers special teams coach never wanted Jacoby Jones returning punts

PITTSBURGH -- Antonio Brown wasn't pleased. He walked into Danny Smith's office and told him so.

It was after a November 2015 meeting in which the Steelers had decided to replace Brown with the newly signed Jacoby Jones on punt returns.

"After that meeting AB came to my office very distinctly and said 'Danny, I don't like it,'" Smith, Pittsburgh's special teams coordinator, said.

"My honest comment to him was 'AB, I don't like it either but that's what we're going to do.'"

read more

http://www.pennlive.com/steelers/ind...oby_punts.html

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Re: Antonio Brown, Steelers special teams coach never wanted Jacoby Jones returning punts

Well, they both sure got THAT right!
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

Re: Antonio Brown, Steelers special teams coach never wanted Jacoby Jones returning punts

interventionist Tomlin strikes again
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    Well, they both sure got THAT right!
    Q. What do Antonio Brown, Danny Smith and all Steelers Universe posters have in common?

A. None of us wanted to see Jacoby Jones returning punts

Senior Member Array title="Kittyfish is a glorious beacon of light"> Kittyfish's Avatar

I always said, the way Jacoby returned punts, you'd think he was still playing for the Ravens. He was simply horrible.

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Tomlin is very fortunate to have had his entire head coaching career with Ben and a stable organization like the Steelers.

I wonder how he would have done with an average QB & Team.
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    Q. What do Antonio Brown, Danny Smith and all Steelers Universe posters have in common?

Not really - all I remember is relief around these parts when Jones was signed because it meant the end of Super Runt (Archer).

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    Not really - all I remember is relief around these parts when Jones was signed because it meant the end of Super Runt (Archer).
    very true, you make a great point.

I should have said as soon as we saw Jacoby Jones return his first punt it was obvious to everyone that he had lost a step and a half.

obvious to everyone except Mike Tomlin, obviously...

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

very true, you make a great point.

I should have said as soon as we saw Jacoby Jones return his first punt it was obvious to everyone that he had lost a step and a half.

obvious to everyone except Mike Tomlin, obviously...
    I thought Tomlin "sidestepped" any questions about that matter as soon as Jacoby Raven entered the Steelers facility???

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

Tomlin has been looking for the next Desmond Howard since he came to the Steelers. With all the firepower we have on offense and the odds of finding that one-in-a-million, why would he put our feeble STs at any further risk?
    All Defense!

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ALLD View Post
    Tomlin has been looking for the next Desmond Howard since he came to the Steelers. With all the firepower we have on offense and the odds of finding that one-in-a-million, why would he put our feeble STs at any further risk?
    I'd say that it's more Colbert.

Colbert was absolutely going to draft Devin Hester... and then, he got stolen away. Willie Reid was plan B, but he sucked. Stefan Logan was decent. Chris Rainey sucked. Dri Archer sucked.

Simply, Colbert has been trying to "quench that thirst" for over a decade.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Not true. I wanted him over Archer and I'll stand by that...lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Banned Array title="LloydWoodson is a glorious beacon of light">

AB is a great returner. I'd just keep him
    back there. He's really good at fair catching at the right time and doesn't fumble or muff punts.

Steelers shouldn't overthink it. My only worry would be a Bengals or Ravens player teeing off on him during a fair catch.

Most kick returns are touchbacks now anyways so no big deal.

Looking to replace one of the best punt returners in the NFL is just making a problem.