Thread: Pressure Is On for the Steelers’ Carnell Lake

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Pressure Is On for the Steelers’ Carnell Lake

Pressure Is On for the Steelers’ Carnell Lake

by steeldad
    May 1, 2016

No player enters the National Football League knowing everything or being able to do everything either. It doesn’t matter whether that player is a first rounder or an undrafted free agent. The only way to get every ounce of talent and ability of these young men is through coaching.

The coaching staff of the Pittsburgh Steelers is now tasked with getting everything they can out of all seven of the team’s picks. Is this different than any other year? Nope, but when you draft guys in the upper half of the draft who all have tags like “potential” and “raw” then the pressure is on to get maximize ability.

If any one coach is under the microscope its Carnell Lake. The former Steelers’ great is tasked with not only coaching up Senquez Golson and Doran Grant from last year but now he must take Artie Burns and Sean Davis and make them into players worthy of their high draft status.

In my opinion, the jury is still out on just how good of an NFL secondary coach Carnell Lake is. We can suggest that he made something out of guys like Antwon Blake who went from special teams player to starter regardless of how bad any of us thought he was. The other side of the coin however is that since Lake became the Steelers’ secondary coach in 2011, things have not exactly been great and Blake is part of that equation too.

There are many in the Steeler Nation who are skeptical of both Burns and Davis and I understand why. Both guys are extremely athletic and have plenty of experience but they are raw too. These aren’t ‘plug and play’ players that fans expect but if they don’t see the field in 2016 the ‘flop’ word will be used whether it should be or not.

While both player and coach each bear responsibility for the development of the player, his success (or failure) in this case will largely come back on the coach. Do Burns and Davis have to become all-pro players by the end of the season? No, but they must show improvement throughout it and fair or not, it will come back on Carnell Lake one way or the other.

http://steelcityblitz.com/2016/05/01...teelers-draft/

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Re: Pressure Is On for the Steelers’ Carnell Lake

I think this will be the year that is telling for Lake. If we are not seeing all three players (Golson, Burns, Davis) at least in the rotation halfway through the year, then they were either stupid picks or a shitty position coach or both. I would have a hard time believing that a #1 and two #2s were all complete whiffs, especially given the level of competition for their respective jobs. He's been given a wheelbarrow load of talent to work with - put up or shut up time here.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

raising him properly Array title="vasteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> vasteeler's Avatar

i have wonder why he has had a free pass. it seems to me that no one has criticized him at all

"Zeds dead baby, Zeds dead." - Butch

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by vasteeler View Post
    i have wonder why he has had a free pass. it seems to me that no one has criticized him at all

Lake had very few high draft pick to work with...

Now Lake Has no excuses.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2016/01...than-coaching/

My concern with Lake is whether or not his scouting input is a detriment to the process, given his apparent influence in the selection of Shaquille Richardson in 2014, having recruited at UCLA, and previously, his possible ties in the Steelers trading a third-round pick to draft Shamarko Thomas, of whom he gave one of the more glowing post-draft evaluations of a selection that I can recall hearing.
    This is just one person's opinion. I'm not sure what his role (or how big his role) was in recruiting but I'm sure he had his say. He can only coach what he has to work with but since Keenan Lewis left (not his fault), Curtis Brown failed (in the CFL now) and Cortex Sweed (released) became a liability, I don't know what to think of Lake.

All I can say is he has no excuses now.

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

No excuses and if he doesn't straighten it out next stop will be Cleveland or Cincinnati.
    All Defense!

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

he did turn our 12th ranked pass defense that was one of the main reasons we lost the superbowl to the packers into the #1 ranked pass defense in the league. Keenan Lewis finally bloomed at the time too. i remember liking him back then
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

raising him properly Array title="vasteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> vasteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    Lake had very few high draft pick to work with...

Now Lake Has no excuses.
    very good point

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Ward 86 View Post
    he did turn our 12th ranked pass defense that was one of the main reasons we lost the superbowl to the packers into the #1 ranked pass defense in the league. Keenan Lewis finally bloomed at the time too. i remember liking him back then
    i was unaware of that. maybe i have been too hard on the beaver

"Zeds dead baby, Zeds dead." - Butch

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

I think if Lewis had stayed and C Allen played up to his contract, #7 would have been last year. But I agree with the above, he really hasnt had anything to work with, now there is no excuse, get these guys up to speed and playing!

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rotorhead View Post
    I think if Lewis had stayed and C Allen played up to his contract, #7 would have been last year. But I agree with the above, he really hasnt had anything to work with, now there is no excuse, get these guys up to speed and playing!
    yeah if we had at least made him an offer and he somehow ended up staying, we would have had another year to see Cortez's steep drop in play and wouldnt have given him a contract. hes been playing as banged up as Cortez lately anyways though
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rotorhead View Post
    I think if Lewis had stayed
    from everything I've read Keenan Lewis was dead set on returning to his home state of Louisiana. some will argue that we should have at least made him an offer but perhaps his agent said don't even bother, we're leaving to the Big Easy?