Thread: 2016 Steelers Re-Draft exercise

Senior Member Array title="Cyphon25 is a name known to all">

2016 Steelers Re-Draft exercise

They were doing this on SteelersDepot and thought it was fun so figured I would make a thread for it here. In case anyone doesn't know how it works there is basically only 1 rule. You can't draft anyone taken before the Steelers pick in any given round.

So if you are drafting for the Steelers at 25 you can only take a player that was drafter anywhere after 25. Same goes for pick 68 or whatever it may be. Here is a link to all of the draft picks so you can use it as a reference for this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_NFL_draft

Here was mine from the Depot. I only did the first 4 rounds:

I am going to be somewhat different and follow up on the trade I wanted us to make. I know it will be a bit wonky but for what I think is the fairest possible route I will keep all picks the same and write Burns out of it in case someone may have taken him.

Round 1 - (31st via Denver trade) - N. Spence - OLB - is a big need with Harrison retiring and Jones not being the guy. Dupree is a maybe (that I am hopeful about mind you) and Moats is just a backup. There was a lot of focus on DL and DB's leading up and I think OLB went slightly unrecognized.

Round 2 - Von Bell - S - I like that we addressed the DB situation early, but I would go Bell over Davis. Byard as well but I like Bell the most. If anyone has seen me post they should know by now that I just flat out don't think we need another SS because that is where Mike Mitchell belongs. He isn't great as a FS and I think Bell would be. We already have a coach saying Davis will start out as a SS so I now view out team as having 3 SS's and no good FS.

Round 3 - Javon Hargrave - DL - Not changing this one. Of the first 3 this is easily my favorite. Can't help but love that he was already a Steelers fan as well.
    Round 3 (pick from Denver trade) - Juston Burris - CB - Later than I wanted to address corner but the guys I liked were off the board at other times and I like what I have read on Burris without seeing any tape.

Round 4 - Rashard Robinson - CB - A double dip at CB and I am taking a chance on character concerns at this point in the draft. I believe I mocked him to us once before and I would go ahead and take him here. We have to get corner right and it is late enough for me to weigh the risk vs reward on the character side.
    Of course this is where it hurts to not be on the inside. Teams will know more about him than what I ever can.
    Last edited by Cyphon25; 05-02-2016 at 03:22 PM.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Re: 2016 Steelers Re-Draft exercise

A buddy & I used to do this all of the time. It's really fun. Pointless, but fun.

We called it the Hindsight Mock.

It's amazing how well you can do, when you know who will still be there for your next pick.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

I would have traded in front of the Bengals in Round 4 and drafted Andrew Billings...

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Paxton Lynch. Then traded him to someone for their whole 17 and 18 drafts.

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

R1: OLB Noah Spence (Eastern Kentucky)
    R2: DT Andrew Billings (Baylor)
    R3: DT Javon Hargrave (South Carolina State)
    R4: S KJ Dillon (West Virginia)
    R6: G Vadal Alexander (LSU)
    R7: ILB Tyler Matakevich (Temple)
    R7: CB Kalan Reed (Southern Miss)

UDFA's:
    CB Jonathan Jones (Auburn)
    S Jeremy Cash (Duke)
    WR Canaan Severin (Virginia)
    WR Keyarris Garrett (Tulsa)
    QB Nick Arbuckle (Georgia State)
    OLB Victor Ochi (Stony Brook)
    RB Jhurell Pressley (New Mexico)
    P Tom Hackett (Utah)
    S Tyvis Powell (Ohio State)
    DB Morgan Burns (Kansas State)

I'm going to take this a step further and do a hypothetical 53 man roster with this draft just because im bored:

QB: Ben Roethlisberger, Bruce Gradkowski, Nick Arbuckle
    FB: Roosevelt Nix
    RB: Leveon Bell, Deangelo Williams, Fitzgerald Toussaint
    WR: Antonio Brown, Markus Wheaton, Sammie Coates, Canaan Severin, Keyarris Garrett, Darrius Heyward Bey
    TE: Ladarius Green, Jesse James, Matt Spaeth
    OT: Alejandro Villanueva, Marcus Gilbert, Ryan Harris, Jerald Hawkins
    OG: David Decastro, Ramon Foster, Vadal Alexander
    C: Maurkice Pouncey, Cody Wallace

DE: Cameron Heyward, Stephon Tuitt, Ricardo Matthews
    NT: Andrew Billings, Javon Hargrave, Daniel McCullers
    OLB: Bud Dupree, Noah Spence, James Harrison, Arthur Moats, Victor Ochi
    ILB: Lawrence Timmons, Ryan Shazier, Vince Williams, Tyler Matakevich
    CB: William Gay, Kalan Reed, Senquez Golson, Ross Cockrell, Jonathan Jones, Morgan Burns
    S: Mike Mitchell, KJ Dillon, Robert Golden, Jeremy Cash

P: Tom Hackett
    K: Chris Boswell
    LS: Greg Warren

Show me a better team than this
    Last edited by Psycho Ward 86; 05-02-2016 at 03:56 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Hindsight draft?

R1 (#31, from Denver) - Xavien Howard, CB/Baylor (or Mackenzie Alexander, CB/Clemson)
    R2 - Carl Nassib, DE/Penn State
    R3 - Hargraves
    R3 (#32, from Devner) - Billings
    R4 - K.J. Dillon, S/WVU

Of course, in hindsight the issue was exactly what it looked like toward the end of R1 - there were a TON of likely impact players in the top and middle of R2 but few at the end. I wanted to trade with the Titties for their #2 and #12 in R2 soooo badly. Assuming you could make it happen by trading next year's first and various picks from the rest of this/next draft, think about how this would look:

R1 - Howard/Alexander
    R2 - Jack
    R2 - Cravens
    R2 - Hargrave
    R3 - Billings
    (mic drop)
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    Hindsight draft?

R1 (#31, from Denver) - Xavien Howard, CB/Baylor (or Mackenzie Alexander, CB/Clemson)
    R2 - Carl Nassib, DE/Penn State
    R3 - Hargraves
    R3 (#32, from Devner) - Billings
    R4 - K.J. Dillon, S/WVU

Of course, in hindsight the issue was exactly what it looked like toward the end of R1 - there were a TON of likely impact players in the top and middle of R2 but few at the end. I wanted to trade with the Titties for their #2 and #12 in R2 soooo badly. Assuming you could make it happen by trading next year's first and various picks from the rest of this/next draft, think about how this would look:

R1 - Howard/Alexander
    R2 - Jack
    R2 - Cravens
    R2 - Hargrave
    R3 - Billings
    (mic drop)

That's a hell of a haul!
    I was beating the drum for trading down leading up to the draft.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

I'd want to trade up for Karl Joseph.

But, alas, it's too expensive.