Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Artie Burns VS. the Dallas trade

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Artie Burns VS. the Dallas trade

For those of you who hate the Artie Burns pick... buckle in.

Reportedly, right after Pittsburgh turned in their draft card for Artie Burns, Dallas offered them the #34 and a R1 pick in 2017.

Supposedly, Pittsburgh tried to get the card back (they accepted the trade), but the NFL would not let them: "Once a pick is in, it is in."

Enjoy.

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

Re: Artie Burns VS. the Dallas trade

Wow. just wow. Artie, you better turn out to be something else
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

1 at a time Array title="Count Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Count Steeler's Avatar

Who did Dallas want?

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Count Steeler View Post
    Who did Dallas want?
    Paxton Lynch

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by Count Steeler View Post
    Who did Dallas want?

Paxton Lynch I think....But I don't believe than the cowboys offer the 2017 first round pick to the steelers....

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post

Reportedly, right after Pittsburgh turned in their draft card for Artie Burns, Dallas offered them the #34 and a R1 pick in 2017.

Supposedly, Pittsburgh tried to get the card back (they accepted the trade), but the NFL would not let them: "Once a pick is in, it is in."

Enjoy.
    maybe this is a lesson learned for the Steelers that you don't have to run to the podium to make your pick right away. I'll bet in the future they take their full allowed time...

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Yup ... I'm lacing up my dog-kicking boots again.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Super Moderator and Lone hawks fan Array title="Devilsdancefloor has a reputation beyond repute"> Devilsdancefloor's Avatar

I have the feels for the young man I think he is gonna be special!

For those i love i will sacrifice.

Si ventus non est, remiga

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

First, let's say that was the offer and Jerry Jones is crazy enough to make it.

Second, look at what happened AFTER the Steelers took Burns - Seahawks AND Chiefs trade out. Burns was going to either of those places. Not Alexander, Not Howard - Artie Burns.

Third - We are left with evaluating whether or not this (Burns) is better than that (Alexander or Howard + 1st round 2017).

Dear me, I usually try and see the logic in stuff, but I not sure I can contort myself around this one. I do think Burns is better than Howard. But is he enough better than Alexander to off-set the 1st round pick? Based on how many teams passed on Alexander, maybe? But damn - that is a story.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    I do think Burns is better than Howard. But is he enough better than Alexander to off-set the 1st round pick? Based on how many teams passed on Alexander, maybe? But damn - that is a story.
    the reason for Alexander's fall was he reportedly came across as being cocky and arrogant and did not take well to coaching.

who knows, the Steelers may very well have had him off their board...

Senior Member Array title="Cyphon25 is a name known to all">

Second, look at what happened AFTER the Steelers took Burns - Seahawks AND Chiefs trade out. Burns was going to either of those places. Not Alexander, Not Howard - Artie Burns.

Third - We are left with evaluating whether or not this (Burns) is better than that (Alexander or Howard + 1st round 2017).

Dear me, I usually try and see the logic in stuff, but I not sure I can contort myself around this one. I do think Burns is better than Howard. But is he enough better than Alexander to off-set the 1st round pick? Based on how many teams passed on Alexander, maybe? But damn - that is a story.
    Not that I disagree with anything, but it didn't really have to be CB or bust. Could have gotten Spence, Jack, Dodd etc....

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cyphon25 View Post
    Not that I disagree with anything, but it didn't really have to be CB or bust. Could have gotten Spence, Jack, Dodd etc....
    Good point. But going with the theory that the Steelers were "all in" on CB early in this draft. After Burns you can still get talented players, but they are very different "types" of DBs.

I don't know, if it was any other team than Dallas, I would dismiss it.

Also, the part of this story that is the most terrifying to me is not that they didn't get to pull this trade off, but that NO ONE on the Steelers draft day operation knew that once the card was in - that is it. Even I know that.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    maybe this is a lesson learned for the Steelers that you don't have to run to the podium to make your pick right away. I'll bet in the future they take their full allowed time...
    My thoguhts for years.

Even if you know... wait to see if a team offers you a Herschel Walker/Ricky Williams type of deal.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post

I made the comment in the draft thread that I couldn't believe they ran up there that fast. Take all the time necessary and wait to see what offers come in. There were teams looking to move up to draft quarterbacks and receivers, and everyone knew it.

It just doesn't make any sense to run up there and not have a team offer you a ton for your pick, or make you an offer you can't refuse.

It just seemed strange and some of us commented on it as it was happening. You were there, you know.

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

Alexander is the comparison that definitely worries me. Even though he basically has little to no experience in zone coverage, neither does Artie Burns. And we already know Alexander is insanely good in man coverage compared to Artie who has some inconsistencies. And its not like theres an age gap either. Alexander is pretty young too (22)
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

look at what happened AFTER the Steelers took Burns - Seahawks AND Chiefs trade out. Burns was going to either of those places.
    This is what makes me feel good about the Burns pick: both of those teams know how to pick CBs.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Knowing that Dallas' success next year depends largely on whether the NFL equivalent of Glass Joe can stay healthy, I'd say there's a 50-50 chance that would have been a top-10, maybe even a top-five pick.

Think of the kind of player we could get with that. Maybe Ben's real successor. Maybe next year's equivalent of Jalen Ramsey. Maybe two first-round position players if we traded out of it. Plus at R2/#4, a cornerback not much worse than Burns at R2/#4. Maybe even better than Burns.

I really want to like this kid, but MAN, this really is shaping up a bit too perfectly to be one of those "look at what they passed up" situations that is talked about for years. If I was Colbert and I get this offer while my guy is running up to the podium to turn in the draft card, I shoot him right in the back.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="sactownsteeler is an unknown quantity at this point">

I'm calling BS on this otherwise they would've gotten him over Denvers deal so it makes zero sense.

Quote Originally Posted by sactownsteeler View Post
    I'm calling BS on this otherwise they would've gotten him over Denvers deal so it makes zero sense.
    Denver's deal was only a R3 pick.

Dallas' offer was substantially larger.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Not to impugn teegre here, but where is this coming from? For all anybody knows, this could be just another "draft day trade" tall tale from Jim Wexell.

That one went national with Peter King and then PFT before Wexell basically said "my bad" and deleted the tweet.

Just sayin'...

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

Hey, no matter what, at least we didn't trade up to draft a kicker in the second round!
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

Senior Member Array title="RunNGun has a reputation beyond repute"> RunNGun's Avatar

Enjoy.
    If they were open to a trade it makes you wonder why they made the pick so quickly. Doesn't make a lot of sense.

Senior Member Array title="sactownsteeler is an unknown quantity at this point">

Denver's deal was only a R3 pick.

Dallas' offer was substantially larger.
    that is my point... Seattle would've taken that deal from Dalla over Denver so I'm sure it was same offer to us as it was to them

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

One thing I know for sure. If the trade had been made with ALL the names still on the board at 25, there would have been some fans jumping out windows before the next pick was even announced. Today fans would be yelling that we would have taken somebody that will change the world, but instead traded back and got a wasted pick or 2. Check back in 3 years and see if we should have made the trade.

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    Not to impugn teegre here, but where is this coming from? For all anybody knows, this could be just another "draft day trade" tall tale from Jim Wexell.

That one went national with Peter King and then PFT before Wexell basically said "my bad" and deleted the tweet.

Just sayin'...
    Pretty much how I feel about it.
    I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play!- Jack Lambert

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post

Just sayin'...
    Radio

I probably should have taken it with a grain of salt...

Quote Originally Posted by sactownsteeler View Post
    that is my point... Seattle would've taken that deal from Dalla over Denver so I'm sure it was same offer to us as it was to them
    Good point.

That said, I've heard tales of teams offering one team more than they off to another team. For example, if a team wanted a corner, and that corner went right before they picked, they'd be more willing (take less) to trade back... than the team who has the opportunity to take that corner.

Quote Originally Posted by RunNGun View Post
    If they were open to a trade it makes you wonder why they made the pick so quickly. Doesn't make a lot of sense.
    Maybe Dallas didn't offer the R1 pick until after it was too late.

In the 1985 draft, the Niners wouldn't give up a R3 pick to move up... until it was too late. (They didn't trade up... and settled for Jerry Rice.)

ONE OTHER THING...
    The difference between 31 and 34 is the fifth-year option. First round picks get that fifth year.

But, acquiring a R1 pick would sway many teams to trade out of the first round.

Like I said...

I probably should have taken it with a grain of salt.

(But, it still makes sense, IMO.)

2016 NFL Draft rumors: Buffalo Bills, Dallas Cowboys talked Round 1 trade

By Brian Galliford on Apr 29, 2016

Had the Cowboys been willing to part ways with a future Round 1 pick, last night might have looked very different for Buffalo

Before they selected Clemson defensive end Shaq Lawson with the No. 19 overall pick in the 2016 NFL Draft last night, the Buffalo Bills were on the phone with the Dallas Cowboys, attempting to trade down for a big haul.

Tim Graham of The Buffalo News reported the news late last night, after the first round had been completed. Buffalo had an offer on the table from the Cowboys, but they did not believe that Dallas was offering enough.

The Bills weren't the only team that Dallas called, either. ESPN's Todd Archer reported that the Cowboys offered Seattle second- and third-round picks to move up to No. 26 overall with Lynch still on the board, but that their offer was beaten out by Denver, who ended up selecting Lynch at that spot.

What stopped the Bills from trading down from No. 19 to No. 34, and moving out of the first round entirely? According to Graham, it was the Cowboys' unwillingness to part ways with their 2017 first-round pick to seal the deal.

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/buff...e-paxton-lynch

All the moving parts don't make sense to this. It is predicated on either or both of two things being true - Dallas or Pittsburgh's front offices are dumb and bad with time.

Not sure I buy it. Still a cool debate. Not like there will be anything substantial to talk about for 4 more months.