Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ron Cook: Steelers a bit too quick to praise draft pick Burns

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

Re: Ron Cook: Steelers a bit too quick to praise draft pick Burns

ive never seen a 1st round corner with hips this stiff. if im an OC, i put my quickest slot corner on him every single play. i guarantee you Edelman/Amendola are going to break his ankles when we play New England. i recall the patriots specifically lining up Edelman outside (which they hardly ever do) across from Antwon Blake specifically to exploit his horrible feet
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

LET ARTIE BE ARTIE

Jeremy Fowler
    ESPN Staff Writer

There’s no guarantee Burns will be ready to start Week 1, but watching Burns conjures memories of Ike Taylor manning one side of the field as a cover corner.

That’s defensive backs coach Carnell Lake’s comparison, not mine. And it makes sense. Burns, the 25th overall pick out of Miami, is a pure bump-and-run corner, just like Taylor, who could match up against the defense’s best receiver each week.

The Steelers simply haven’t had that in a while, forced to run zone coverages with corners playing "off" coverage, or a good 8 to 10 yards in front of the receiver.

“If need be, we’ll play him like that,” Lake said. “Hopefully we can develop Artie’s tools in other areas, as well.”

Burns can learn the nuances of Pittsburgh’s zone, but Burns’ defensive coordinator at Miami, Mark D’Onofrio, knows where Burns best fits in a defense.

In press coverage.

“Even if we were playing zone, three deep, we usually pressed [Burns] into the boundary,” D’Onofrio said. “He was always our boundary corner. We wanted to take care of that with him.”

to read rest of article:

http://espn.go.com/blog/pittsburgh-s...ebuild-defense

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Ward 86 View Post
    ive never seen a 1st round corner with hips this stiff. if im an OC, i put my quickest slot corner on him every single play. i guarantee you Edelman/Amendola are going to break his ankles when we play New England. i recall the patriots specifically lining up Edelman outside (which they hardly ever do) across from Antwon Blake specifically to exploit his horrible feet
    And the Steelers unwillingness or inability to make a counter-adjustment is and always has been frustrating and downright stupid. Move Golson onto the quick little twitchy guy and get Burns on the big physical guy.

Hopefully Butler doesn't get as stiff in his thinking as Burns' hips are.

Well there you have it... Array title="NCSteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> NCSteeler's Avatar

I'm not even reading this. We want an impact player at 25? I don't know if Burns will be Decastro or Jarvis but I'm willing to wait and see
    Merry Christmas

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Reynolds’ Steelers Spin: 2016 NFL Draft

BY MICHAEL K. REYNOLDS MAY 4, 2016

Here’s a player-by-player analysis:

1 . Artie Burns, CB, Miami

Complaints about the Artie Burns pick? Heck, Steelers fans should be partying like it’s 1999. First of all, fireworks should go off just on the news the front office finally drafted a cornerback in the first round. But more importantly, Artie can bang at the line. For all of us Steelers fans who were tormented by former Defensive Coordinator Dick LeBeau’s insistence on having the corners play twelve yards off receivers even on 3rd and 2 situations this is the best news in a decade. Who cares if Burns doesn’t have the perfect hip swivel? Or gets a little lost in the zone? We’re going to start slapping around opponents’ skinny, mouthy receivers so we can stop making journeymen quarterbacks look like All Pros. Was William Jackson III a great option as well? Absolutely, but it’s moot because he wasn’t available. And you don’t have to be a JFK and UFO conspiracist to know the Cincinnati Bengals got extra joy taking Jackson one pick prior to the Steelers. OF COURSE they are cognizant of their arch-rival’s needs and if they can pick a player high on their board while sticking it to the Steelers, they surely will. The same was the case when they chose Andrew Billings who very nearly could have been the Steelers fourth consecutive defensive player selected. But enough about Jackson. Burns is the Steelers man and should be warmly welcomed. The last time the Steelers took a cornerback in the draft who was also a star track hurdler was a gentleman by the name of Rod Woodson. If the Steelers can get half the value of that pick they’ll be set at one corner for years.

to read rest of article:

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2016/05...016-nfl-draft/

ESPN calls Steelers CB Artie Burns a potential draft bust

Bryan DeArdo - May 5

Artie Burns couldn't escape ESPN's list of potential 2016 draft busts.

This week, ESPN's Steve Palazzolo wrote an article naming 10 draft picks that might turn out to be busts, and said that the Steelers could have made a mistake with it's No.1 pick.

"On paper, Burns does not look like a great scheme fit for the Steelers," Palazzolo wrote. "He's a long, press-man corner, but Pittsburgh played more zone coverage than any team in the league last year. Burns is not great when playing off coverage, and he's not smooth when closing on underneath passes. Unless a scheme change is in order, he doesn't fit in the Steelers' defense.

"If Burns plays more man coverage, he has a chance to be successful even though he's often too physical at times -- his nine penalties ranked third in the nation in 2015. Also concerning is a +2.8 coverage grade than ranked 42nd in the class, lower than you'd like to see for a first-round corner."

Many fans were surprised when they heard Burns name called with the Pittsburgh's 25th pick in the draft. Slated to draft Houston cornerback William Jackson III in many mock drafts, Cincinnati snatched Jackson one spot before the Steelers were on the clock. With four cornerbacks already selected, Pittsburgh chose who they thought was the best available corner in Burns, who led the ACC with six interceptions in 2015.

While he's not a finished product, Burns doesn't necessarily have to be heading into the 2016 season. The team already has William Gay and Ross Cockrell, along with Senquez Golson, last year's second round pick, who will vie for a starting position this season. With these three already in place, Burns will have time to learn Pittsburgh's schemes along with improving his own personal techniques. While the team will certainly expect Burns to produce this season, he won't have to be the hero, something that should ease his mind as he looks to evolve into a quality NFL cornerback.

And while Palazzolo's criticism of Burns' converge in zone converge might be accurate, Steelers' secondary coach Carnell Lake will have more than enough time to work with his young defensive back about the intricacies of zone coverage. Twice in his career, Lake had to make the transition from safety to corner to help Pittsburgh mask injuries in the secondary, and will surely use that experience to help Burns learn how to master whatever coverage schemes the Steelers ask him to execute.

Athletically, Burns can do it all. He's fast, athletic, and stronger than his 6'0, 193-pound frame. He's also a fighter and a playmaker, skills that should help him make an immediate impact next season, while silencing Palazzolo and other analysts that may doubt him in the process.

http://pit.247sports.com/ContentGall...icamp-45214703

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Yeah, Burns and all the other 252 picks in the draft are potential busts at this point.

And...ESPN? Really? The same network that was responsible for the little nugget of wisdom below? Please...

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post

Yeah, Burns and all the other 252 picks in the draft are potential busts at this point.

And...ESPN? Really? The same network that was responsible for the little nugget of wisdom below? Please...

Bayless is paid to say this crap to make people want to tune in. Does this really still need to be said?

Burns being a boom or bust guy has been a pretty universally accepted thing...
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Bayless is paid to say this crap to make people want to tune in. Does this really still need to be said?
    LOL - I haven't watched that network since 2005, outside of a Steelers game being broadcast on it.

I also fail to see how uber-retarded ramblings like "ZOMG! Manziel's gonna be bigger in Cleveland than LeBron!" would make people want to tune in.

Just framing the general credibility level of the source of the "Burns is one of the players most likely to be a bust in 2016" proclamation, that's all...

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    LOL - I haven't watched that network since 2005, outside of a Steelers game being broadcast on it.

I also fail to see how uber-retarded ramblings like "ZOMG! Manziel's gonna be bigger in Cleveland than LeBron!" would make people want to tune in.

Just framing the general credibility level of the source of the "Burns is one of the players most likely to be a bust in 2016" proclamation, that's all...
    Here's what you missed :http://www.totalprosports.com/2016/0...s-of-all-time/

Wow. Just...wow.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

What a moron

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post

Bryan DeArdo - May 5

Artie Burns couldn't escape ESPN's list of potential 2016 draft busts.

This week, ESPN's Steve Palazzolo wrote an article naming 10 draft picks that might turn out to be busts, and said that the Steelers could have made a mistake with it's No.1 pick.

"On paper, Burns does not look like a great scheme fit for the Steelers," Palazzolo wrote. "He's a long, press-man corner, but Pittsburgh played more zone coverage than any team in the league last year. Burns is not great when playing off coverage, and he's not smooth when closing on underneath passes. Unless a scheme change is in order, he doesn't fit in the Steelers' defense.

"If Burns plays more man coverage, he has a chance to be successful even though he's often too physical at times -- his nine penalties ranked third in the nation in 2015. Also concerning is a +2.8 coverage grade than ranked 42nd in the class, lower than you'd like to see for a first-round corner."

Many fans were surprised when they heard Burns name called with the Pittsburgh's 25th pick in the draft. Slated to draft Houston cornerback William Jackson III in many mock drafts, Cincinnati snatched Jackson one spot before the Steelers were on the clock. With four cornerbacks already selected, Pittsburgh chose who they thought was the best available corner in Burns, who led the ACC with six interceptions in 2015.

While he's not a finished product, Burns doesn't necessarily have to be heading into the 2016 season. The team already has William Gay and Ross Cockrell, along with Senquez Golson, last year's second round pick, who will vie for a starting position this season. With these three already in place, Burns will have time to learn Pittsburgh's schemes along with improving his own personal techniques. While the team will certainly expect Burns to produce this season, he won't have to be the hero, something that should ease his mind as he looks to evolve into a quality NFL cornerback.

And while Palazzolo's criticism of Burns' converge in zone converge might be accurate, Steelers' secondary coach Carnell Lake will have more than enough time to work with his young defensive back about the intricacies of zone coverage. Twice in his career, Lake had to make the transition from safety to corner to help Pittsburgh mask injuries in the secondary, and will surely use that experience to help Burns learn how to master whatever coverage schemes the Steelers ask him to execute.

Athletically, Burns can do it all. He's fast, athletic, and stronger than his 6'0, 193-pound frame. He's also a fighter and a playmaker, skills that should help him make an immediate impact next season, while silencing Palazzolo and other analysts that may doubt him in the process.

http://pit.247sports.com/ContentGall...icamp-45214703

Well....at least it's not just Steelers fans calling him a bust already.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

I've seen this argument many places. Anyone point out to these various writers that the Steelers played a ton of zone in attempt to protect their garbage secondary from exposure? Additionally, it didn't work. Their garbage secondary got exposed. Might be that no one is really tied to trotting the same scheme out in 2016. Just a thought.

But that seems to be the biggest concern - that Burns is not a zone corner. So if the Steelers were a press cover team, what would the grade be? A for amazing? B for big on potential? C for crappy?

Again, not sure that I really like the Burns pick. Won't know until he plays, but these "analysis" pieces are not written by a bunch of deep thinkers.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    I've seen this argument many places. Anyone point out to these various writers that the Steelers played a ton of zone in attempt to protect their garbage secondary from exposure? Additionally, it didn't work. Their garbage secondary got exposed. Might be that no one is really tied to trotting the same scheme out in 2016. Just a thought.

But that seems to be the biggest concern - that Burns is not a zone corner. So if the Steelers were a press cover team, what would the grade be? A for amazing? B for big on potential? C for crappy?

Again, not sure that I really like the Burns pick. Won't know until he plays, but these "analysis" pieces are not written by a bunch of deep thinkers.
    I just don't see how this pick makes sense in any scenario other than:

A) the coaches think Artie could excel in zone coverage and keep our coverages from a schematic standpoint

or

B) the coaches think Golson, being arguably the most cerebral and athletic (outside of Burns) corner on the roster could excel in man coverage despite not playing it much in college as we switch to more man coverage

I'm going to guess scenario B.

By all means, William Gay can play any coverage, but he's at his best in zone. Cockrell seems a little better in zone to me, would be more confident in his man coverage skills if he could learn to tackle better and i think he'll get better there. Senquez Golson played about as much man coverage in college as Artie Burns played zone...which is pretty close to none. Our 2 most recent picks at cornerback are literally polar opposites in terms of size and schematic fit. What the hell is going on there? It really does feel like we're throwing darts based on our general lack of success in developing DB's sometimes. I just havent seen a reason to really trust the coaches' handling of the 2ndary since 2011.

I just don't see how this pick makes sense in any scenario other than:

A) the coaches think Artie could excel in zone coverage and keep our coverages from a schematic standpoint

or

B) the coaches think Golson, being arguably the most cerebral and athletic (outside of Burns) corner on the roster could excel in man coverage despite not playing it much in college as we switch to more man coverage

I'm going to guess scenario B.

By all means, William Gay can play any coverage, but he's at his best in zone. Cockrell seems a little better in zone to me, would be more confident in his man coverage skills if he could learn to tackle better and i think he'll get better there. Senquez Golson played about as much man coverage in college as Artie Burns played zone...which is pretty close to none. Our 2 most recent picks at cornerback are literally polar opposites in terms of size and schematic fit. What the hell is going on there? It really does feel like we're throwing darts based on our general lack of success in developing DB's sometimes. I just havent seen a reason to really trust the coaches' handling of the 2ndary since 2011.
    Basically, I kind of agree but not really with your scenarios. If Burns is good at zone, then it is the end of the conversation. If he is not capable of zone at first, then I see them using him as a specific "tool".

They are likely going to do the same thing they did early in Ike's career. Find the size speed mismatch for anyone else (big, tallish, fast, etc) and stick Burns on him. Then Gay, Cockrell, Golson, etc can play zone concepts around it. Burns in this scenario becomes a true "boundary" corner. Using man cover skills to pin his man against the sideline and either take him out of the play or make a play on the ball.

What do I know what they are really going to do, but I think that viewing a secondary as solely a "man" or "zone" unit is on its way out in the NFL. At least it is for the Steelers. Everything they have done with the defense in the last 2-3 off-season cycles has almost stood on top of a table and screamed "WE WILL BE FLEXIBLE IN OUR SCHEMES!". I think, or at least hope that is what is going on because if not - then it doesn't make sense.

Got a big TE that can destroy match-ups down the seams? Say hello to Davis or Feeney or Shazier
    Got a RB that you like to sneak out on 3rd downs? Hi again, Mr's. Shazier, Davis, and Feeney.
    Got a big tall WR that you like to send on go routes? Hi, my name is Artie Burns I will be your shadow this afternoon.
    Got a couple of jitter-buggy quick slot WR's? Hi. Meet Golson and Gay - we will be attempting to bait your QB in to throwing your way all afternoon.
    Got a mediocre WR? Well, look his way - that's where Cockerell will be.

I really have no idea what they are thinking - and the above makes no mention of the numerous and "odd" combinations they could do with their front 7. Maybe it is all a series of incremental steps to a "Tampa 2"? I mean the back 4 and the LBs seem to be almost there. Not sure about upfront - maybe one DT away?

Regardless, I see a trend where they simply don't want to be caught having the wrong personnel to try and do something. Hopefully we no longer have to watch a slower player try to carry a big fast TE down the seam. Over and Over again.