View Poll Results: Who will be the Steelers rookie of the year?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • CB Artie Burns, Miami

4 12.12%
  • S Sean Davis, Maryland

16 48.48%
  • DT Javon Hargrave, South Carolina State

12 36.36%
  • OT Jerald Hawkins, LSU

0 0%
  • OLB Travis Feeney, WSU

0 0%
  • WR Demarcus Ayers, Houston

0 0%
  • ILB Tyler Matakevich, Temple

1 3.03%
  • DE Devaunte Sigler, Jacksonville State

0 0%
  • P Will Monday, Duke

0 0%
  • TE DJ Reeves, Duke

0 0%
  • RB Christian Powell, Colorado

0 0%
  • DT Johnny Maxey, Mars Hill

0 0%
  • OLB Zack Shaw, Indiana

0 0%
  • QB Nick Arbuckle, Georgia State

0 0%
  • Other

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Poll: Rookie of the Year Favorite?

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

Poll: Rookie of the Year Favorite?

Who do you think it will be? I added undrafted free agents that have signed so far for good measure
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Senior Member Array title="RunNGun has a reputation beyond repute"> RunNGun's Avatar

Re: Poll: Rookie of the Year Favorite?

Sean Davis has my vote

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

I have Sean Davis as well. I think Hargrave will be a better player, but I think Tuitt and Heyward will steal too many snaps from him to win it, while Davis will be a fringe starter
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Ward 86 View Post
    Who do you think it will be? I added undrafted free agents that have signed so far for good measure
    I can honestly say that I have never heard of any of the UDFAs we have signed so far...

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    I can honestly say that I have never heard of any of the UDFAs we have signed so far...
    Nor have I, but after reading about this kid my gut tells me he'll make the roster.

Senior Member Array title="Cyphon25 is a name known to all">

Voted for Hargrave because he has the easiest path to a starting job.

I think Golden is a good player and will keep Davis out.

Burns is a bit of a wildcard with our corners.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cyphon25 View Post

Agreed on Hargrave.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    Nor have I, but after reading about this kid my gut tells me he'll make the roster.

I do too, imo he'll make the team by being a monster on special teams...

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    I do too, imo he'll make the team by being a monster on special teams...
    Colbert on Tyler...."He's not the biggest. He's not the fastest. But he's a heckuva football player."

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Hargrave, because he should be getting significant playing time from the opening whistle of Week 1. All the others maybe, maybe not.

My dark horse second candidate is Hawkins; if either of our tackles get hurt, he could be a key player, and he's got Munchak working in his favor.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

cant remember exactly what he said at the press conference, but Lake said something that strongly insinuated that they'll put Artie Burns in a position to play how he is comfortable (bump and run) early on. im interested to see if we follow through

Senior Member Array title="RunNGun has a reputation beyond repute"> RunNGun's Avatar

I have Sean Davis as well. I think Hargrave will be a better player, but I think Tuitt and Heyward will steal too many snaps from him to win it, while Davis will be a fringe starter
    I guess I'm not sold on Hargrave. Very small to be playing the Nose which is why I believe they have other plans for him. Possibly in sub packages. I think Davis will deliver some crushing blows and cause some turnovers for us, likely on special teams. It would be great if he could do it on defense as well.

Quote Originally Posted by RunNGun View Post
    I guess I'm not sold on Hargrave. Very small to be playing the Nose which is why I believe they have other plans for him. Possibly in sub packages. I think Davis will deliver some crushing blows and cause some turnovers for us, likely on special teams. It would be great if he could do it on defense as well.
    Players can always gain weight, particularly young ones. Mclendon was 280lb when he got here, went up to 325lb in a short amount of time. Villanueva gained like 80lb in an offseason, albeit he's taller so its easier to put weight on his frame.

I always get asmued when i see scouting reports talk about how "small" a player is when they're something along the lines of a 190lb cornerback or a 240lb ILB. Its like.....wtf? Thats not that small, and they're going to continue to grow in their early 20's?

Players can always gain weight, particularly young ones. Mclendon was 280lb when he got here, went up to 325lb in a short amount of time. Villanueva gained like 80lb in an offseason, albeit he's taller so its easier to put weight on his frame.

I always get asmued when i see scouting reports talk about how "small" a player is when they're something along the lines of a 190lb cornerback or a 240lb ILB. Its like.....wtf? Thats not that small, and they're going to continue to grow in their early 20's?
    I agree, I believe he can put on some weight without much of a problem, but it may be difficult for him to produce until he does so. All the tools are there for him to be successful. However, I believe his chances at failing may be the same as him succeeding. Although, the same could be said about all of our picks. I just like Burns and Davis' chances better.

Up The IRONS! GO STEELERS Array title="Iron Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Iron Steeler's Avatar

similar reason for my vote for Hargrave. He will be in rotation quickly and has success getting to the qb and TFL. I think he translate the quickest to the NFL

Tomlin on Tyler Matakevich @ 6:50

http://www.steelers.com/videos/video...5-437155352dc0

Senior Member Array title="JayC is a glorious beacon of light"> JayC's Avatar

picked Hargrave but I just got a funny feeling Demarcus Ayers might be a diamond in the rough but we'll see

I agree, I believe he can put on some weight without much of a problem, but it may be difficult for him to produce until he does so. All the tools are there for him to be successful. However, I believe his chances at failing may be the same as him succeeding. Although, the same could be said about all of our picks. I just like Burns and Davis' chances better.
    He's not the 1st undersized nose tackle out there. guys like Jay Ratliff and Randy Starks have had success in this league. A couple pounds and he's about the typical nose tackle size. And no nose tackle in the league can boast his kind of athleticism except maybe Poe

He's not the 1st undersized nose tackle out there. guys like Jay Ratliff and Randy Starks have had success in this league. A couple pounds and he's about the typical nose tackle size. And no nose tackle in the league can boast his kind of athleticism except maybe Poe
    I've got him listed at 6'2 295 lbs, which is more than a couple of pounds shy of your typical nose tackle. I understand that there have been undersized NT who have succeeded, but I also don't believe they will utilize him as a NT. I believe McCullers is the nose and Hargrave will play as a situational pass rusher, at least in his rookie season. Just my 2 cents.

I've got him listed at 6'2 295 lbs, which is more than a couple of pounds shy of your typical nose tackle. I understand that there have been undersized NT who have succeeded, but I also don't believe they will utilize him as a NT. I believe McCullers is the nose and Hargrave will play as a situational pass rusher, at least in his rookie season. Just my 2 cents.
    Official combine measurement has him at 309lb. He's not too far from solid nose tackle size. i agree with your sentiment though

That official weight definitely helps his case for being undersized. May be the perfect size for a NT/DT hybrid.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

So the kid from Temple is basically Olsavsky reincarnated. Good thing that is his new position coach!

That made me laugh.

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

Only one person chose Burns so far. Even though some are shy to say it, they know Burns was not a good pick that early.

I chose Hargrave. I think Golden will keep Davis off the field. I can see Hargrave getting more playing time after the 4th week or so.
    Hater = Realist

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Same here. Shorter learning curve for a DL than a DB as well.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post
    Only one person chose Burns so far. Even though some are shy to say it, they know Burns was not a good pick that early.
    Outside of QB, CB is probably the most difficult position to learn that there is. Hell, even Mel Blount contemplated quitting when he got burned for 3 TDs in one game as a second-year player by Paul Warfield, and that was back when it was still primarily a running game.

That's really the only reason I picked Hargrave. But you could put a traffic cone back there and it would still be an upgrade over Blake.

IMO, Burns will be fine, but he will have some growing pains due to the nature of the position and he will catch flak early from the Nation because they tend to have zero patience in these matters. Many are going to demand that Burns perform like Rod Woodson in his 7th year right out of the gate and that's not going to happen.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Hargrave is going to have instant playing time since DL depth is so thin. That was my pick.

Sleeper pick is Feeney on special teams

The Oncoming Storm Array title="Vis will become famous soon enough"> Vis's Avatar

I picked Artie. I liked him before the draft, I called the selection, so I'm in.

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

Hopefully Artie gets a nickname more positively associated with his last name and wins the Steelers ROY. If he fails miserably he will own a list of them longer than the one of Cleveland QBs over the last ten years.
    All Defense!

Quote Originally Posted by ALLD View Post
    Hopefully Artie gets a nickname more positively associated with his last name and wins the Steelers ROY. If he fails miserably he will own a list of them longer than the one of Cleveland QBs over the last ten years.
    And in Burns' case, "failing miserably" = "not looking the like the second coming of Rod Woodson right out of the gate" in many people's minds.