Thread: 4th round pick: Jerald Hawkins OT

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

4th round pick: Jerald Hawkins OT

Banned Array title="steelerkitty will become famous soon enough">

Re: 4th round pick:Jerald Hawkins OT

Bottom Line

Hawkins is a tough evaluation because the length and footwork in pass protection are promising, but issues with bend and body control may be difficult to correct. Hawkins has talent, but his ceiling might be tied directly to whether a team allows him to sit while an offensive line coach works to correct the technical flaws that limit his effectiveness. Hawkins best spot may be right tackle.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelerkitty View Post
    Bottom Line

Hawkins is a tough evaluation because the length and footwork in pass protection are promising, but issues with bend and body control may be difficult to correct. Hawkins has talent, but his ceiling might be tied directly to whether a team allows him to sit while an offensive line coach works to correct the technical flaws that limit his effectiveness. Hawkins best spot may be right tackle.
    I would say if any coach has that ability it would be Munchak...

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Munchak said he thinks he can play both left and right tackle. Said that, Hawkins is more comfortable on the left side.

#TrustInMunchak
    1. Graham Barton, C, Duke 2. Ricky Pearsall, WR, Florida 3. Maason Smith, DT, LSU 3. Max Melton, CB, Rutgers 4. Blake Fisher, OT, Notre Dame 6. Tommy Eichenberg, ILB, Ohio State 6. MJ Devonshire, CB, Pittsburgh

Senior Member Array title="Steelerette has much to be proud of"> Steelerette's Avatar

I'm fine with this pick. The type of offense LSU runs, he's ready to start contributing. Gives us emergency depth across the line while Munchak grooms him. Not a sexy pick but they're stocking up the trenches.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    I would say if any coach has that ability it would be Munchak...
    Marcus Gilbert kinda proves it.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Munchak wanted him.

Ergo, based solely on that, it's a good pick.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by steelerkitty View Post
    Bottom Line

Sounds like he entered the right situation. They don't need him to start this year and Munchak is definitely capable of helping this kid

1 at a time Array title="Count Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Count Steeler's Avatar

Any chance Munchak knows anything about the secondary?

Super Moderator and Lone hawks fan Array title="Devilsdancefloor has a reputation beyond repute"> Devilsdancefloor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Count Steeler View Post
    Any chance Munchak knows anything about the secondary?
    im hoping he made those picks too ha ha

For those i love i will sacrifice.

Si ventus non est, remiga

STEELER NATION RULES ! Array title="katmandu has much to be proud of"> katmandu's Avatar

Re: 4th round pick: Jerald Hawkins OT

Ok, OL shelf is all stocked up. Now how about some LBs !
    "Never argue with a fool; onlookers may not be able to tell the difference." -- Mark Twain

Support Steelers Universe with a Donation via PayPal !

http://www.steelersuniverse.com/foru....php?do=donate

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

i know nothing about the kid but we have the best O-line coach in the league so any O-line pick could turn out to be awesome. I'll take it. Guess this means bye bye to Mike Adams? No way do we keep 5 tackles....I was kind of hoping Munchak could continue coaching him up since we basically get him for near nothing for another year
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

Gotta keep in mind this guy played well against some SEC teams and helped pave the way for Leonard Fournette...who many think is even a better RB prospect than Todd Gurley and Ezekiel Elliot
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

Must defer to Munchak. Give that coach whatever he asks for including salary as long as I am not writing the checks.
    All Defense!

Senior Member Array title="j-d-s is a jewel in the rough">

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Ward 86 View Post
    i know nothing about the kid but we have the best O-line coach in the league so any O-line pick could turn out to be awesome. I'll take it. Guess this means bye bye to Mike Adams? No way do we keep 5 tackles....I was kind of hoping Munchak could continue coaching him up since we basically get him for near nothing for another year
    From what I've heard Adams' rookie contract is still valid for 2016 since he's missed the entire 2015 season, seems to be a stipulation of the CBA. I say for his rookie contract salary we keep him in 2016 and then look whether we try to keep him or not.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by j-d-s View Post
    From what I've heard Adams' rookie contract is still valid for 2016 since he's missed the entire 2015 season, seems to be a stipulation of the CBA. I say for his rookie contract salary we keep him in 2016 and then look whether we try to keep him or not.
    who goes in that situation? We have Villanueva and Gilbert as incumbent starters. Hawkins and Harris as back ups. Adams...?

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Ward 86 View Post
    who goes in that situation?

Adams...?

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

Trade Adams for a few buckets of reflective yellow paint to touch up the parking lot.
    All Defense!