Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: UPDATE:Billings in the 4th to the Bengals

Senior Member Array title="lipps83 has a reputation beyond repute"> lipps83's Avatar

UPDATE:Billings in the 4th to the Bengals

Do it.

You will then have 4 dominant down lineman. Can always rotate a fresh one in when playing only 3. If the need for 4 comes up, there you go.

Secondary is addressed.

Linebackers, maybe some depth would be good.

Don't really have a need anywhere else. Maybe on the OL. Could maybe use a WR.

Take Billings in the 4th. If he does have a bad knee, well it was a 4th and nothing else needed to really be addressed anyway.

If he pans out, look out.

Senior Member Array title="Cyphon25 is a name known to all">

Re: Billings in the 4th

Was buying into Billings early on but no need to double dip at DL. If anything I would rather dip into corner again but ultimately we need another LB whether inside or out.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Needs in no particular order:

Edge rusher OLB/DE
    Wide receiver
    Running back
    Swing offensive tackle/guard

Positions they could consider:

True free safety
    Hybrid LB/S
    Guard/Center
    TE
    Quarterback
    Any value pick

Senior Member Array title="Steelerette has much to be proud of"> Steelerette's Avatar

I'm down for it.

Billings, Hargrave, McCullers, between the three guys the future at NT has to be in there somewhere, the others make for rotational DEs to keep everyone fresh, and gives us a defensive line we can ride deep into the playoffs, and a serious set of beasts for 4-3 packages too. Ben's window is closing and yet he seems to improve with age. These next couple years let's have a D that will put the ball into his hands... a lot of times.

Then in the 6th, grab the best versatile OL or WR available. 7a, best RB left. 7b, another OL or WR.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

By any Steeler fan wanting him, they will pick someone else. Don't get your hopes up.

Super Moderator and Lone hawks fan Array title="Devilsdancefloor has a reputation beyond repute"> Devilsdancefloor's Avatar

yes please but why is he still on the boards ...... id like to see Eric Murray, CB, Minnesota here but who knows

For those i love i will sacrifice.

Si ventus non est, remiga

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

We ought to go pure BPA at this point and yeah, Billings should be the man.

If we get Billings in the 4th, this Dline is set for a looooooong time. Havinga a ton of Dline depth served us well in the early to late 2000's. Would love to see it happen again.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Cyphon25 View Post
    Was buying into Billings early on but no need to double dip at DL. If anything I would rather dip into corner again but ultimately we need another LB whether inside or out.
    Why not? This is the perfect draft to do this in? Billings could have gone in the mid to early 1st round and if he's there in the late 4th, that's just insanity to pass, unless whatever is keeping him undrafted is really that bad
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Senior Member Array title="Steelerette has much to be proud of"> Steelerette's Avatar

And just think. Even if a player like Billings is only on the field 25% of the time... we'll have only used 25% of our draft picks on him!

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Ward 86 View Post
    Why not? This is the perfect draft to do this in? Billings could have gone in the mid to early 1st round and if he's there in the late 4th, that's just insanity to pass, unless whatever is keeping him undrafted is really that bad
    Because we have needs at both LB positions as well. Why have an overabundance of DL? They got Hargraves now and we still have McCullers. I agree it is great value assuming there is no major issue but it sounds like there probably is a major issue if he goes from a first round guy all the way to the 4th. Let's say Hargraves is a great player. Who do you play between him and Billings? You just let one rot on the bench? Snaps are already so limited for NT that I can't imagine the value there as far as playing time goes.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

If he's actually healthy, then why not. You'd have the deepest D-line in the NFL.

The Bengals rotate their D-linemen, which keeps them fresh. The Seahawks do, as well.

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

Because we have needs at both LB positions as well. Why have an overabundance of DL? They got Hargraves now and we still have McCullers. I agree it is great value assuming there is no major issue but it sounds like there probably is a major issue if he goes from a first round guy all the way to the 4th. Let's say Hargraves is a great player. Who do you play between him and Billings? You just let one rot on the bench? Snaps are already so limited for NT that I can't imagine the value there as far as playing time goes.
    Both of them can play 1,3, and 5 technique. They wouldnt just be coming in as a nose. And as teegre said, some of the best Dline in the league rotate them. Hell, the bengals were the prime candidate in every round to steal Billings from us despite having Geno Atkins and Domata Peko.

Besides, who can we draft at linebacker right now that will help us more long or short term? The value is just so much higher with Billings vs. Ochi, Judon, you name it.

Albeit, I wouldnt be upset at picking guys like that in the 4th even if Billings is still there. I would just greatly prefer Billings.
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Senior Member Array title="RunNGun has a reputation beyond repute"> RunNGun's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    If he's actually healthy, then why not. You'd have the deepest D-line in the NFL.

The Bengals rotate their D-linemen, which keeps them fresh. The Seahawks do, as well.
    I'm all about D line depth. I wanted Armstead last year with our first pick. Maybe you remember having our debate over that topic at steelersfever last year? If Billings is there I hope we snag him.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RunNGun View Post
    I'm all about D line depth. I wanted Armstead last year with our first pick. Maybe you remember having our debate over that topic at steelersfever last year? If Billings is there I hope we snag him.
    True. I wasn't an Armstead fan.

(Who were you at SF?)

Senior Member Array title="RunNGun has a reputation beyond repute"> RunNGun's Avatar

True. I wasn't an Armstead fan.

(Who were you at SF?)
    Steelcurtain0815

Having a deep d line and nothing at the other positions isn't really beneficial. Let's review what we look like at OLB.

Dupree is our potential future. I like him and am really rooting for him but we have seen nothing so far that leads us to believe he will be great. It is just a guess at this point.

Jones clearly isn't the guy and the Steelers sound like they don't think he is worth the 8 million and he isn't.

Moats is a career backup and Harrison will be retiring. So we have 1 starting OLB that may or may not even be that good.

Switching over to ILB we have Shazier and Timmons. Timmons is overpaid and on his way to retirement and Shazier has been injured as much as he has played. Personally I like Williams as a capable guy but what about if Shazier and Timmons both go down. We have Williams and who?

So IMO those 2 positions are just as important and maybe more so, than more depth on the D line.

Having a deep d line and nothing at the other positions isn't really beneficial. Let's review what we look like at OLB.

Dupree is our potential future. I like him and am really rooting for him but we have seen nothing so far that leads us to believe he will be great. It is just a guess at this point.

Jones clearly isn't the guy and the Steelers sound like they don't think he is worth the 8 million and he isn't.

Moats is a career backup and Harrison will be retiring. So we have 1 starting OLB that may or may not even be that good.

Switching over to ILB we have Shazier and Timmons. Timmons is overpaid and on his way to retirement and Shazier has been injured as much as he has played. Personally I like Williams as a capable guy but what about if Shazier and Timmons both go down. We have Williams and who?

So IMO those 2 positions are just as important and maybe more so, than more depth on the D line.
    Our personell on defense is quickly turning into a 4-3 mold. People will keep rejecting that, but the evidence is there. I think you will keep seeing less and less of the 3-4 this season which means we won't need quite as many LBs. I definitely agree, we do need to add another prospect, but I could see them trying to sneak by this year without.

Oh... I get the need for a LB.

But, I also know that if Billings is healthy (i.e. he dropped due to a rumor), that he would be the best value on the board. Hargrave replaces McClendon. Billings replaces Thomas.

Oh... I get the need for a LB.

But, I also know that if Billings is healthy (i.e. he dropped due to a rumor), that he would be the best value on the board. Hargrave replaces McClendon. Billings replaces Thomas.
    We are on the same page then. Billings would be incredible value.

Banned Array title="steelerkitty will become famous soon enough">

All this talk about Billings only being a 2-down player is absolute nonsense. Or that his on the field production was lacking is also ridiculous.Billings was always double teamed and sometimes even triple teamed with 3, 320lb O-Linemen who still could not stop him. He was a pure DISRUPTOR out there. And unless his leg was amputated, or he Raped a 8 year old Girl, he was definitely one of the top-15 BEST College players thispast year...ZERO argument about it.

so let me get this straight.

you dont want Billings to rot on the bench, but if we draft an OLB, apparently he wont be rotting on the bench.

uh?

We ought to go pure BPA at this point and yeah, Billings should be the man.
    If he is still there...this would be a no-brainer.
    "I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play"

-- Jack Lambert --

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelerkitty View Post
    All this talk about Billings only being a 2-down player is absolute nonsense. Or that his on the field production was lacking is also ridiculous.Billings was always double teamed and sometimes even triple teamed with 3, 320lb O-Linemen who still could not stop him. He was a pure DISRUPTOR out there. And unless his leg was amputated, or he Raped a 8 year old Girl, he was definitely one of the top-15 BEST College players thispast year...ZERO argument about it.
    seeing as how Billings is still available here in the 4th round, there does seem to be some argument about it...

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Maybe most people had Billings overrated? I found this one: http://www.thehuddlereport.com/archi...w.Billings.htm

Perhaps this analyst was on to something? I've been a fan of his stuff for years, but he is wrong as often as he is right. Just thought I would throw it out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Maybe most people had Billings overrated? I found this one: http://www.thehuddlereport.com/archi...w.Billings.htm

Perhaps this analyst was on to something? I've been a fan of his stuff for years, but he is wrong as often as he is right. Just thought I would throw it out there.
    Makes sense...and the pro teams have a LOT more access to information then we do. Sort of like Macjensie Alexander slipping because teams found out he is difficult to coach and isnt much of a team player.
    "I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play"

-- Jack Lambert --

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post

i dont understand where people are seeing this notion that his change of direction and lateral agility isnt good. He's as good at scraping across the line of scrimmage as any interior DL in the draft other than Hargrave imo

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

i dont understand where people are seeing this notion that his change of direction and lateral agility isnt good. He's as good at scraping across the line of scrimmage as any interior DL in the draft other than Hargrave imo
    Not sure either. But something is up. A guy goes from universally projected to the 1st to falling to the 4th? Everyone is either wrong about the ability or their is a medical/character flag.

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

Less of a stretch or gamble than the first two picks.
    All Defense!

this drop just seems unprecedented. can anyone else recall the last time a prospect ranked so highly by most fell so far (without any apparent off field problems or injuries)?

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

this drop just seems unprecedented. can anyone else recall the last time a prospect ranked so highly by most fell so far (without any apparent off field problems or injuries)?
    there goes the "Joe Greene had dinner with that player" theory...

Banned Array title="steelerkitty will become famous soon enough">

Look I like Hargrave and all his speed and what not. But when it comes to NT the ONE word that is Important is POWER!! Pure strength. I mean the one player who came right in and dominated for us as a rookie was Casey Hampton. And he was great at Texas. But, as a Senior, Hampton tried to achieve that very seldom 2,000lb club. Where a guy tries to Squat, Bench and Dead lift a combined weight of 2,000lbs. And Hampton just failed by reaching like1,915 total pounds. Very very Impressive yes, and that's what got him drafted as a 1st rounder. And that IS a lotof weight too.

But Billings DID lift that, and hoisted OVER 2000lbs total in those 3 lifts...and he did it as a 16 year old HIGH SCHOOL player. I mean are you serious ?...16 years old. There is not even a total of 100 people on the face of this planet who can do that, and Billings did it at 16. And the Rumors are now..at just turned 21 that he can go over 2,200lbs total.I mean the guy just eats up Blockers and Ingulfs them.I saw him against Texas this year and it was just Crazy. Texas had 3 O-Linemen on him, and Billings just drove them backwards. Look, I am totally Mystified as to why this guy is still around in round 4. It is Crazy. But anyone who has watched this kid play at Baylor knows it is NOT about his ability to play Football.

I wanted him yes. And his POWER is one of the reasons why cause it was the reason why Casey Hampton was all so great for us all those many seasons. Look, we likely won't get him. But I will be crying if two years from now this guy is dominating for some other team...while Hargrave is still working with coaches on his technique and trying to learn this game.