Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: UPDATE:Billings in the 4th to the Bengals

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Re: Billings in the 4th

He could be frigging Superman, but if he has a bum knee, it won't matter.

Isn't the fact that he dropped this far a bit of a red flag?

Banned Array title="steelerkitty will become famous soon enough">

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    He could be frigging Superman, but if he has a bum knee, it won't matter.

Isn't the fact that he dropped this far a bit of a red flag?

There are NO reports anywhere about him having a BUM anything. So stop with your nonsense. As for him dropping ?...I don't know why...but then again neither do you. All I am saying is that his production was there in college, and his strength is unmatched by ANYONE in the NFL right now.

Senior Member Array title="Steelerette has much to be proud of"> Steelerette's Avatar

Harrison
    Dupree
    Moats
    Jones
    Chickillo

It's clear that Jones is a sore disappointment considering his draft position, but that's a different thing from being complete trash. So what LB who can rush are we going to get at this point that's better than Moats, Jones, or Chickillo? Scooby Wright? Victor Ochi? Curt Maggitt? Look, I don't see it, I get wanting to upgrade at OLB, but what palpable upgrade to you get at this point over what you already have in hand? And do you do that instead of setting your DL straight for a decade? Harrison is going to retire yes, but he's not retiring this season. Five OLB is enough already too. Why draft for the practice squad in the 4th.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelerkitty View Post
    There are NO reports anywhere about him having a BUM anything. So stop with your nonsense. As for him dropping ?...I don't know why...but then again neither do you. All I am saying is that his production was there in college, and his strength is unmatched by ANYONE in the NFL right now.
    1. Andrew Billings, DT, Baylor (6-1, 310, 5.04, Jr.)
    Billings, who was a record-setting weight-lifter in high school, flashes dominant qualities when he keeps his pad level low, rolls his hips and pushes his momentum into the pocket. As the technique and discipline catch up, Billings should continue to get better. There is something going on, possibly an unknown injury, for him to fall this far in the draft.
    http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/n...er-round-three

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

Mike Mayock said that there's no injury issue with Billings so let's stop the speculating.
    I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play!- Jack Lambert

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

people severely over play this sentiment that Hargrave is raw. he's not a raw player in every sense, he's actually very polished in some key areas. dude has a plethora of pass rush moves, his pad level is phenomenal, he knows how to hold his base extremely well.
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Banned Array title="steelerkitty will become famous soon enough">

That is NOT a fact. That is SPECULATION! Try learning the difference.

Senior Member Array title="Steelerette has much to be proud of"> Steelerette's Avatar

Or it could be that teams aren't valuing to spend a premium pick on a player who is primarily a zero tech. I don't see him that way but there is a sort of thing against nose tackles. I mean, if you really want you can get a damned elite fullback in round six or seven. Maybe NTs who aren't generational freaks are headed in that direction.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Just so I understand and understand clearly. Your position is you are right and 32 NFL teams have been wrong 3 times or more now?. Now, I am by no means saying that you are not correct. It is totally possible that Billings is beast in waiting and everyone will regret passing on him. Not a totally uncommon draft phenomena. But to be totally unwilling to admit there is something that 32 NFL teams might know that we do not? That is a bit stubborn.

Senior Member Array title="MrPgh has a spectacular aura about">

Even if Billings isn't injured, there's obviously some kind of red flag that's making teams pass over him going on 4 rounds now.

Up The IRONS! GO STEELERS Array title="Iron Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Iron Steeler's Avatar

I say yes def take this guy. How many times have we wiffed in the 4th round anyway? high reward if he gets healthy

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

Could go G in the 4th with Westerman.
    Hater = Realist

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MrPgh View Post
    Even if Billings isn't injured, there's obviously some kind of red flag that's making teams pass over him going on 4 rounds now.
    Very possible. I would love to see us take him any way (provided that he didn't commit a serious crime). For a 4th round pick, he's worth it even if he is only a 2 down player. It's not like as if we already have a stud run stuffer on the roster.
    I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play!- Jack Lambert

Senior Member Array title="lipps83 has a reputation beyond repute"> lipps83's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Steeler View Post
    I say yes def take this guy. How many times have we wiffed in the 4th round anyway? high reward if he gets healthy
    Those are my thoughts with it as well. In my eyes, it gives the defense tons of flexibility and they can give the offense many different EFFECTIVE looks.

It's a 4th round pick on a guy that was projected to go by many to this very team in the 1st round. I don't see much other value in the 4th. It is all depth at this point on out with the remaining picks, there is much more they could do with Billings than just about any other player they could draft.

Senior Member Array title="Cyphon25 is a name known to all">

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Ward 86 View Post
    so let me get this straight.

you dont want Billings to rot on the bench, but if we draft an OLB, apparently he wont be rotting on the bench.

uh?
    It could be Hargraves that rots, not Billings. Either or is bad. Regardless, I think an OLB would have a better chance of cracking the starting lineup given the lack of options there.

Even if we assume either Hargraves or Billings would be mainly used to spell Heyward and Tuitt, that isn't many snaps. You want them rested but you aren't taking too many snaps from your 2 best defensive players.

Maybe he has some sudden character concerns like gambling or necrophilia. Maybe he scored the first ever negative wonderlic. Maybe he punched a kitten. Maybe he injured his football ligament. Maybe he got caught snorting weed and steroids out of a hooker's armpit. Maybe he died before the draft. Maybe all the teams forgot about him. Maybe he farts more than Von Miller. Did I leave anything out?

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cyphon25 View Post
    It could be Hargraves that rots, not Billings. Either or is bad. Regardless, I think an OLB would have a better chance of cracking the starting lineup given the lack of options there.

Even if we assume either Hargraves or Billings would be mainly used to spell Heyward and Tuitt, that isn't many snaps. You want them rested but you aren't taking too many snaps from your 2 best defensive players.
    who is this OLB prospect that you think has a chance to crack the lineup? who is he going to beat out? If its Dupree, then its time to start panicking because he's supposed to be the future there. Harrison? By all indications, he's an ageless wonder and one of the most physically imposing players in the league

Cam and Stephon are ridiculously lethal when fresh. Between nose tackle snaps (Still about 30% of our snaps use one) and rotating in and out of the DE positions (cut down Cam and Tuitt's snaps by ~30-35% a piece maybe?), there are still plenty of snaps to go around
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

STEELER NATION RULES ! Array title="katmandu has much to be proud of"> katmandu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lipps83 View Post
    Do it.

You will then have 4 dominant down lineman. Can always rotate a fresh one in when playing only 3. If the need for 4 comes up, there you go.
    Don't underestimate Big Dan. Word is he's trimmed down and worked his ass off this off-season. They're saying he's not the player he was last year. I can't wait to see him back in action !

BTW, what website(s) have a sortable spreadsheet listing of Best Available Players ? I saw it last year but can't find one this year.
    "Never argue with a fool; onlookers may not be able to tell the difference." -- Mark Twain

Support Steelers Universe with a Donation via PayPal !

http://www.steelersuniverse.com/foru....php?do=donate

who is this OLB prospect that you think has a chance to crack the lineup? who is he going to beat out? If its Dupree, then its time to start panicking because he's supposed to be the future there. Harrison? By all indications, he's an ageless wonder and one of the most physically imposing players in the league
    I am pretty sure Jarvis Jones is considered the other starter and that is who he would beat out. Dupree isn't getting beat out and I think there is a solid chance he has a big leap this year.

OLB wasn't the only option though. I have a good feeling about Scooby Wright at ILB so long as the medicals check out. Might be able to get him later than the 4th. In any case, all of this is probably moot because there is something big we don't know about keeping Billings from getting drafted.

Cam and Stephon are ridiculously lethal when fresh. Between nose tackle snaps (Still about 30% of our snaps use one) and rotating in and out of the DE positions (cut down Cam and Tuitt's snaps by ~30-35% a piece maybe?), there are still plenty of snaps to go around
    There are plenty of snaps to go around for 1 guy, not 2.

Well the Bengals pick him the pick before us so... close but no cigar. I wonder if steelreserve is punching a wall somewhere.

The Bengals just drafted Billings.

Oh shit...bengals stacked at CB and DL

Senior Member Array title="Drazo85 has a reputation beyond repute"> Drazo85's Avatar
    Tetris Champion! Jungle Fruit Champion!

Good ridance to Mike Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Cyphon25 View Post
    I am pretty sure Jarvis Jones is considered the other starter and that is who he would beat out. Dupree isn't getting beat out and I think there is a solid chance he has a big leap this year.

OLB wasn't the only option though. I have a good feeling about Scooby Wright at ILB so long as the medicals check out. Might be able to get him later than the 4th. In any case, all of this is probably moot because there is something big we don't know about keeping Billings from getting drafted.

There are plenty of snaps to go around for 1 guy, not 2.
    Scooby wouldnt be able to play at all. Timmons and Shazier are clear starters, and Williams knows our system so well and has played so many snaps for us

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

I would rather go LB or OL than DL again.
    Hater = Realist

Scooby wouldnt be able to play at all. Timmons and Shazier are clear starters, and Williams knows our system so well and has played so many snaps for us
    Shazier is injury prone and Timmons is up in age and even had his snaps start to be limited last year with the team bringing in Golden.

Billings is gone now anyway. Sounds like he dropped solely because he is only viewed as a 2 down player.

He could also be the next Louis Nix III.

That is NOT a fact. That is SPECULATION! Try learning the difference.
    You'd be well-advised to take your own advice. For instance, pegging our first 3 picks as "practice squad players." Laughable, to say the least.

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    You'd be well-advised to take your own advice. For instance, pegging our first 3 picks as "practice squad players." Laughable, to say the least.
    I think a lot of the same people who say the Steelers reached in the first two rounds are those that would have been okay with reaching for Billings or even Hargrave in the first round because they're too enamored with finding the next Casey Hampton.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Billings would have been cool, but they got Hargrave a round earlier and they added depth on the O-line with a guy Munch really liked so I am not disappointed