Thread: Steelers draft Sean Davis, continue building secondary

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Steelers draft Sean Davis, continue building secondary

Pittsburgh Steelers drafted Sean Davis, continue building secondary

Jim Wexell

Hard-hitting, athletic safety is Steelers' second-round pick, and Carnell Lake appreciates the brass' attention.

PITTSBURGH -- Sean Davis had always wanted to "go to the U" because his idol, Sean Taylor, had played there.

"He wore No. 21 and his name was Sean," the newest member of the Pittsburgh Steelers said back in February from the NFL Combine.

"Man, I idolized him. I loved everything about him. Real quiet dude just like me."

So it was with great joy then that Davis -- No. 21 at Maryland -- was (intentionally) confused for Taylor when he picked up the phone to talk to the Pittsburgh media Friday night.

The 6-1, 201-pound strong safety from Maryland, the Steelers' second-round draft pick, let out a hearty laugh after being called Sean Taylor.

"Yeah," said the deliriously happy Davis. "Thank you. Thank you."

It's probably what his father, Sean Davis Sr., was saying in the background, as dad watched son discuss a future with the Steelers.

"My dad loves the Steelers," Davis Jr. said. "This is awesome. I couldn't have hoped for anything better. It's the perfect situation."

Born and raised in Washington D.C. as a Redskins fan, Davis said his dad "just loves Coach Tomlin, and there's something about that black and yellow. He's always seen me as a Steeler, for real."

What did dad say?

"Aw, man, I'm lookin' right at him," Davis Jr. said with a laugh. "He might be happier than me. He's got his cool face on, even though I know deep inside he's going crazy."

As was Davis' new boss in Pittsburgh, secondary coach Carnell Lake, who ripped off Davis' astounding Combine numbers off the top of his head.

"He was third in the 20-yard shuttle (3.97) for all defensive backs," Lake said. "He had a 37 1/2 vertical, 21 on the bench, which was second of all defensive backs in the draft. This guy is an exceptional guy. We are excited to have him. He is kind of everything you are looking for when you are talking about versatility for defensive backs."

There were also Davis' 6.64 3-cone time, his 4.46 40, 1.56 10 and a 10-6 broad jump.

Lake was understandably happy to get such an athletic safety, and one who was used at cornerback last season at Maryland, where he finished his career with 306 tackles (213 solos).

"I'm excited," Lake said. "I've been coaching here for six years. It's been a long time, as you know, since we've had a first-rounder. Now, in back-to-back years we've had (that and) two second-round players. It's coming together. It feels good."

Prior to last year's selection of Senquez Golson in the second round, the Steelers had drafted only one player, Curtis Brown, as high as the third round during Lake's tenure as secondary coach.

But Golson, together with this year's first-round choice of Artie Burns, and now Davis, give the team a nucleus upon which to finally reconstruct a secondary that had consisted of veterans throughout the three recent Super Bowls.

Here's Lake's vision for -- and he didn't correct the questioner -- free safety Mike Mitchell and strong safety Davis on the Steelers' back end:

"When you have offenses that spread you out ... to create mismatches," Lake said, "they will put a player like (Rob) Gronkowski out wide and force you to match up with either a linebacker or a safety on Gronkowski. Well, you have to have a guy that has the size and can cover. He provides that coverage for us. That's one of the exciting parts of Sean Davis that we like."

A baseball star in high school, Davis didn't play football until his junior year. As a freshman at Maryland, he started only two games, but the next year, 2013, he started all 13 games at free safety.

In 2014, as a junior, Davis started 11 games at free safety and two at cornerback, and then was moved to cornerback for his entire his senior season.

Overall, Davis intercepted five passes and forced seven fumbles. He also has another pretty good stat on his resume...

to read rest of article:

http://www.scout.com/nfl/steelers/st...r?preview=true

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Re: Steelers draft Sean Davis, continue building secondary

Steelers Will Start New DB Sean Davis Off At Strong Safety

BY DAVE BRYAN APRIL 29, 2016

The Pittsburgh Steelers continued to address their secondary in the second round of the 2016 NFL Draft on Friday with the selection of Maryland defensive back Sean Davis. After the pick was made, Steelers defensive backs coach Carnell Lake addressed the media to talk about his newest player.

“Really a very productive player at two positions, safety and corner,” said Lake of Davis, who had over 300 total tackles during his college career. “He has been very productive in the tackling department and has a good eye for playing the ball in the passing game and we really look forward to having him in the building. He’s going to provide us with a lot of versatility and depth at a needed position at safety for us, that’s where we plan to play him and I think he’ll do an outstanding job there.”

Lake was asked if Davis is better suited to play strong or free safety and the Steelers defensive backs coach said that while he will start off being used as a strong safety, he will eventually be asked to play both positions.

“Right now, primarily, we should plug him in at strong safety as Mike Mitchell’s primarily our free safety, said Lake. “That’s where we’ll start and I’m assuming that he’ll wind up playing both positions at some point.”

Lake was later asked about Davis’ cover skills.

“His cover skills, in my opinion, are very good,” said Lake. “He’s had a lot of experience not only covering slots and tight ends at safety, but he also played a year at corner which gives him even more experience. You take a player like that who last year played corner that’s going to move in inside to play safety, the game will slow down quite a bit for him inside.”

Davis, who started 40 games at Maryland, recorded 318 total tackles and 5 interceptions in addition to 6 forced fumbles. Lake said that Davis had 36 special teams tackles and that he didn’t take that job lightly. Davis led all defensive backs at the combine with 21 reps on the bench and 126-inch broad jump.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2016/04...strong-safety/

Steelers fan, circa 1985 Array title="BigNastyDefense is a name known to all"> BigNastyDefense's Avatar

I really think this kid is going to be good. He forces FIVE fumbles and had three picks as an unfamiliar position last season. Yeah, Maryland sucked, but I've watched this guy play and he's talent. If he didn't move to CB due to injuries, he would have not been there when we picked.

RIP Marianne "HTG" - You'll Always Be With Us
    Follow me on Twitter @Blue_Collar_Guy

Senior Member Array title="lipps83 has a reputation beyond repute"> lipps83's Avatar

This guy should be good.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

The more I learn about him as a player, the more I like him, and the more I think he could be a dynamic playmaker at least by 2017, and possibly earlier

Gerry Dulac ‏@gerrydulac

In last two years, Steelers have drafted 11 defensive players, 4 offensive players

https://twitter.com/gerrydulac

James C Wexell ‏@jimwexell

Don't get too excited Steelers fans. Was just 1st practice of rookie minicamp. But there are 2 long, lean, fluid athletes in the secondary.

https://twitter.com/jimwexell?ref_sr...Ctwgr%5Eauthor

Davis' smile is there to stay

Teresa Varley
    Steelers.com

Safety Sean Davis is ready to get his Steelers' career started.

His smile was ever present. Didn’t matter who he was talking to, or what they were talking about. Sean Daviscouldn’t help but beam as he walked around the UPMC Rooney Sports Complex and Heinz Field the day after he was selected by the team in the second round of the NFL Draft.

“My emotions have been everywhere,” said Davis. “I can’t stop smiling. I am so happy to be here, seeing my new home, my new family. It’s just a blessing.”

Davis is back in Pittsburgh for the team’s three-day rookie minicamp at the UPMC Rooney Sports Complex, giving the coaches their first look at him up close and personal along with the rest of the team’s draft picks and rookie free agent signings.

The safety from Maryland can’t wait.

“Right now I just want to get my foot in the door, contribute anyway that I can, and help the team get better,” said Davis. “I want to just help us get some wins this year.

“I am a very versatile player. I can do a lot. I played strong safety, I played cornerback at Maryland. Moving around playing safety is what I do. I am very comfortable back there. Mentally I feel like I am capable of doing a lot. Physically I can do a lot. I am big and strong like a safety and quick like a corner. My mental game, I see it at a different angle that you might not get at safety and vice versa. I feel like I am well prepared.”

Davis, though knows he has plenty to learn and will be doing so from secondary coach Carnell Lake, a player who knows his share about playing safety, and even a little bit of corner.

“I love learning from people that have been there,” said Davis. “I am ready to learn from one of the greatest out there and contribute. There are things he can teach me that those that didn’t play can’t. He knows he is going to coach to the best of his ability, and ask me to play to the best of mine. I couldn’t ask for a better situation.”

http://www.steelers.com/news/article...3-87d618069f96

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    James C Wexell ‏@jimwexell

Don't get too excited Steelers fans. Was just 1st practice of rookie minicamp. But there are 2 long, lean, fluid athletes in the secondary.

https://twitter.com/jimwexell?ref_sr...Ctwgr%5Eauthor
    Sean Davis and a UDFA?
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Artie Burns and his stiff hips - see them now at Steelers Minicamp!

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Ward 86 View Post
    Sean Davis and a UDFA?
    1. Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia 2. Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia 3. Maason Smith, DT, LSU 3. Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan 4. MJ Devonshire, CB, Pittsburgh 6. Tommy Eichenberg, ILB, Ohio State 6. Ryan Watts, S, Texas

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Artie Burns and his stiff hips - see them now at Steelers Minicamp!

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post
    i find that hard to believe. eventually maybe.
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Steelers rookie safety Davis has shot at earning starting spot this season

By Ed Bouchette / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Get one thing straight about the Steelers’ new rookie at strong safety. He is no Troy Polamalu and will not try to be.

After all, Sean Davis might actually win a starting job in his first season with the Steelers. That is something Polamalu did not do in 2003, when he played in all 16 games but with no starts behind strong safety Mike Logan.

Polamalu hit the NFL hard for another decade, though, putting himself in position as a Hall of Fame candidate four years from now.

“The things he would do, jumping over the offensive line and all that stuff, he was one of the greatest,” Davis marveled as he practiced at Polamalu’s old position at rookie minicamp this past the weekend.

It’s not a style Davis will try to copy. His style is more in line with another former Steelers Pro Bowl strong safety, his secondary coach, Carnell Lake. Both were second-round draft picks by the Steelers and both stand 6 feet 1, although Lake weighed 8 pounds more at 210 in his NFL prime.

Davis would like nothing better than to follow Lake’s 1989 path of winning the starting job at the position in his first game as a rookie.

The Steelers quietly believe he can do it. At the moment, veterans Robert Golden and Shamarko Thomas return at strong safety but Will Allen started there in the 2015 season and he no longer is here.

Read full story:
    http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/s...s/201605090044

1. Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia 2. Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia 3. Maason Smith, DT, LSU 3. Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan 4. MJ Devonshire, CB, Pittsburgh 6. Tommy Eichenberg, ILB, Ohio State 6. Ryan Watts, S, Texas

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Rumor out of mini-camp:
    Sean Davis is too physical; the coaches have asked him to tone it down.

Nice!!!!!

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

That is good news IMO. This team needs a person or two to step up in that backend of the defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

I was fine with the Davis pick ( had him in the contest here for rd 2 ) I think he fits what we are trying to do and is a physical specimen which seems to be our MO as of late .

he may take a bit of time to acclimate but he is a smart kid with a high football IQ so I look for him to get some starts in 2016 and who knows he may end up starting sooner rather than later

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

I've always been a fan of Davis and he may be my favorite pick out of this draft. I just hope he doesn't tone it down after the fines start coming and I hope he doesn't take after Mitchell and celebrate every hit...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Film Room: Sean Davis And The Steelers’ Dime Defense

BY ALEX KOZORA MAY 10, 2016

The Pittsburgh Steelers used their dime personnel (2 DL, 3 LBs, 6 DBs) 61 times in last year’s regular season with another 17 instances coming in the playoffs. Almost all of this work came after Week 13. Used mostly in 3rd and long or obvious passing situations, Lawrence Timmons was pulled off the field in favor of Robert Golden.

Now that Golden is the odds-on favorite to start, Davis’ most logical path to Year One playing time will likely come in dime packages. What are some of the roles Davis will be asked to fulfill? Let’s look at the tape with three examples:

to read rest of article:

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2016/05...-dime-defense/

Administrator Array title="Texasteel has a reputation beyond repute"> Texasteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Rumor out of mini-camp:

Nice!!!!!
    This was the only worry I had about Davis. If you watched a lot of Big Ten games you saw him draw quite a few roughness, and late hit flags. Still, he plays a lot like one of my favorite Steelers. I think he will learn quickly, and may be the first draft pick to start for us.

AML

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Rumor out of mini-camp:

Nice!!!!!
    B-b-b-b-b-b-but the most violent team wins!