Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Welcome to the newest Steeler, Artie Burns.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Re: Welcome to the newest Steeler, Artie Burns.

Quote Originally Posted by Texasteel View Post
    Let me start with, I've been beating the Burns drum for a long time now, so I am not unbiased.

I thought Burns would go a little closer to the end of the round, but was not disappointed when they took him at 25. The Steelers thought he was well worth the 25 pick, and it sounds like at least one other team had the same opinion. The Steelers though he was the player that had the best shot at fixing a sick defensive backfield, they didn't want to chance loosing him, so they grabbed him when they could. I have no problem with that. We ended with IMO, A good CB, a good S, and a good D-lineman, which is that most of us wanted out of this draft. From this point forward we will see if they were good choices or not.
    agreed

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Ward 86 View Post
    i was just asking out of curiosity because from what ive read, it seems to be that order as well
    Ok. A couple of days to think on it and I've totally talked myself in to the fact that Burns is raw as a good thing. I know this is totally through the concept that he is a Steeler now and I am bending over backwards to make the pick sound good. But if he can get talked about as a top 5 CB in the class with little to no coaching (many claim Miami just let them play) and not a ton of experience - what can he be if he works at it full time? By all accounts he is a good guy and wants to be coached and work -- I think his floor is lower than most but his ceiling is higher than almost any other CB's in the class.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Ok. A couple of days to think on it and I've totally talked myself in to the fact that Burns is raw as a good thing. I know this is totally through the concept that he is a Steeler now and I am bending over backwards to make the pick sound good. But if he can get talked about as a top 5 CB in the class with little to no coaching (many claim Miami just let them play) and not a ton of experience - what can he be if he works at it full time? By all accounts he is a good guy and wants to be coached and work -- I think his floor is lower than most but his ceiling is higher than almost any other CB's in the class.
    I agree, add in that he'll now be able to focus 100% on football instead of dividing his attention on hurdling also and I think his football development will be noticeably accelerated.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post
    Btw Burns will wear number 25
    To update the jersey numbers. By the mini camp roster, Davis is #28, Hargrave #79, Hawkins #65, Feeney #41, Ayers #82 and Matakevich #46.

And btw, Big Dan changed his number from #62 to #93.
    1. Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia 2. Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia 3. Maason Smith, DT, LSU 3. Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan 4. MJ Devonshire, CB, Pittsburgh 6. Tommy Eichenberg, ILB, Ohio State 6. Ryan Watts, S, Texas

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2016/05...ets-games-1-4/

Wanted to add a great analysis post I seen in the comment section...

Things I've noticed so far:

1) Artie has great ball awareness. Rarely does a pass come his way where his back is turned to the QB with no idea the ball is coming (like some Steeler CB's in the past who shall remain nameless). This is what all the great CB's do. Revis, Sherman, Norman, etc. They all look back for the ball while still maintaining contact (or at least awareness) of their receiver. This is very hard to teach. And I'm glad Artie has it.

2) Artie breaks well. By that I mean, when the WR stops and turns, Artie is very quick to stop and close on the ball. Even when he doesn't quite get there in time he is usually very close. (How many times have we all seen a Steeler CB five yards away from the WR at the time of the catch?... We had to put a stop to that.) Also I love Artie's long arms, reaching in there like vines, to try and swat at the ball.

3) Artie doesn't have a great backpedal (yet). He is not as comfortable playing ten yards off, pedaling straight back, turning his hips smoothly, and maintaining speed, striding with the WR. It looks like he prefers to "quarter" himself at an angle, so he can see the QB as he's drifting backwards. I actually don't mind this, because I hate pure off coverage. I would much rather the Steelers play a scheme that focuses on press man and jumping short routes (which is the exact reason why I believe Colbert/Tomlin drafted him). I believe a change is in the air.

4) Artie's physicality can be inconsistent. At times he closes hard and hits hard. And then other times looks like he's trying to "drag down" his man. I'd like to see him drop down a little lower and wrap up their legs, and I'm sure the Steelers coaches will be on him constantly until he gets it right. The good news is he has shown that he does have the ability. The bad news is it appears his desire can be a little hot/cold.
    1. Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia 2. Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia 3. Maason Smith, DT, LSU 3. Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan 4. MJ Devonshire, CB, Pittsburgh 6. Tommy Eichenberg, ILB, Ohio State 6. Ryan Watts, S, Texas