Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: TPOP: A'Jarrandrew Robillingseed

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Re: TPOP: A'Jarrandrew Robillingseed

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Wow!!! That is amazing, considering there are about ten 'Bama players drafted every single year.
    In all non snarky seriousness, how many of those dudes end up not being totally overrated?

http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/ful...ma&type=school

Don't get me wrong there are some really good players to come out of that school under the Saban tenure - but - but - there are also so players who really disappointed relative to their draft hype. Many think that Ragland will continue this unfortunate tradition. Those DT's though...that appears to be another story!

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    In all non snarky seriousness, how many of those dudes end up not being totally overrated?

http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/ful...ma&type=school

Don't get me wrong there are some really good players to come out of that school under the Saban tenure - but - but - there are also so players who really disappointed relative to their draft hype. Many think that Ragland will continue this unfortunate tradition. Those DT's though...that appears to be another story!
    My theory is that Saban chews them up. By the time they start a game in the NFL, their career is already 1/3 over.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

My theory is that Saban chews them up. By the time they start a game in the NFL, their career is already 1/3 over.

Alabama recruits a ton of talent. They are good and deep at nearly every position every year. Saban plays and coaches a pro style, so many of his players are ready for the NFL coming out.

The problem is, these players are on the field with dominant talent their entire careers. Think about that....if you are an Alabama linebacker, you have been playing behind that defensive line for years, and have been kept clean of blockers for the most part your entire career. I know they still have to occasionally take on blockers, but when you have players that good in front of you at every position it makes your job very easy and makes you look very good in highlight reels. If you're a DB, the ball is always coming out quickly because of the pressure. If you're a running back, you are always running through huge holes because of dominant offensive line play at nearly every position.

They do produce a lot of very good players, but many never live up to the hype. My point is, when there are that many good players on the field at the same time, it's hard to evaluate players sometimes. They are extremely well coached, so they are always in position to make plays. When they get to the NFL, things are a little different. They are not playing with an overwhelming talent advantage. Also, particularly with the defensive players, they are seeing sophisticated offenses with NFL route trees for the first time. They have a coaching and schematic advantage in college, but when they get to the pros, every team has the game coached at the highest level.

Saban is that good of a coach at the college level.

His players also seem to have shorter than usual careers with a ton of chronic injury conditions. Someone needs to look into the practice habits at Alabama. These are young men that shouldn't be showing signs that their bodies are used up before they get to the NFL. 20 hours of practice time per week shouldn't be doing that to these kids.

I'll get off my soapbox now. I just wanted to give my theory on why Alabama players don't always pan out.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    Alabama recruits a ton of talent. They are good and deep at nearly every position every year. Saban plays and coaches a pro style, so many of his players are ready for the NFL coming out.

The problem is, these players are on the field with dominant talent their entire careers. Think about that....if you are an Alabama linebacker, you have been playing behind that defensive line for years, and have been kept clean of blockers for the most part your entire career. I know they still have to occasionally take on blockers, but when you have players that good in front of you at every position it makes your job very easy and makes you look very good in highlight reels. If you're a DB, the ball is always coming out quickly because of the pressure. If you're a running back, you are always running through huge holes because of dominant offensive line play at nearly every position.

They do produce a lot of very good players, but many never live up to the hype. My point is, when there are that many good players on the field at the same time, it's hard to evaluate players sometimes. They are extremely well coached, so they are always in position to make plays. When they get to the NFL, things are a little different. They are not playing with an overwhelming talent advantage. Also, particularly with the defensive players, they are seeing sophisticated offenses with NFL route trees for the first time. They have a coaching and schematic advantage in college, but when they get to the pros, every team has the game coached at the highest level.

His players also seem to have shorter than usual careers with a ton of chronic injury conditions. Someone needs to look into the practice habits at Alabama. These are young men that shouldn't be showing signs that their bodies are used up before they get to the NFL. 20 hours of practice time per week shouldn't be doing that to these kids.

I'll get off my soapbox now. I just wanted to give my theory on why Alabama players don't always pan out.
    That was the post of the day.

Excellent.

It's sort of like when guys would play with MJ, and leave to be the star of their own team... only to suck. MJ made everyone else seem amazing.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post

On the injury front....you answered your own question. The level of competition is such that if you end up in the trainer room, there's another guy there taking your spot in the rotation. Players play hurt, even to the point of playing themselves out of a career. It's not how Bama conducts practices or weight training or conditioning. Players are afraid to take themselves out when hurt.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

The Alabama talent level combined with the fact that Saban is a pretty hearless piece of crap of human being. I think all the posters have hit the nail on the head. 'Bama burns these kids up.

The stories of Saban's indifference and animosity towards Dolphins players when he was in the NFL are pretty extreme.

Uh...

This article was obviously describing ROUND TWO.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Uh...

This article was obviously describing ROUND TWO.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

So A'Shandrew Robinseed go round 2 and Billings tumbles all the way down to round 4

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    So A'Shandrew Robinseed go round 2 and Billings tumbles all the way down to round 4