View Poll Results: With the #12 pick, the Saints select...

Voters
13. You may not vote on this poll
  • Jack Conklin, OT, Mich St

0 0%
  • Laquan Treadwell, WR, Ole Miss

2 15.38%
  • Darron Lee, LB, Ohio St.

1 7.69%
  • Leonard Floyd, LB, Georgia

1 7.69%
  • Reggie Ragland, LB, Alabama

1 7.69%
  • Shaq Lawson, OLB/DE, Clemson

3 23.08%
  • Kevin Dodd, OLB/DE, Clemson

0 0%
  • Sheldon Rankins, DT, Louisville

4 30.77%
  • Jarran Reed, DT, Alabama

0 0%
  • Vernon Butler, DT, La Tech

0 0%
  • Mackensie Alexander, CB, Clemson

1 7.69%
  • Eli Apple, CB, Ohio St.

0 0%
  • William Jackson III, CB, Houston

0 0%

Thread: The Saints are on the clock...

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

The Saints are on the clock...

The Saints are on the clock...

Over at Steelers Fever, every year, teegre & I would coordinate a "Steelers Fever Consensus Mock Draft".

We would start with the first pick... with a thread, a poll, and a discussion. The poll/thread would be up for 12 hours, and then, we'd move on to the next team. So on & so forth until we would get to Pittsburgh's selection, where the poll would stay open for several days.

Why??? This will allow for us to get a sense of who might ACTUALLY be there at pick #25. No joke: we've come pretty close every single year. Have fun with it.

So... as not to break tradition...
    "First Annual Steelers Universe Consensus Mock Draft".

1. LA: Carson Wentz, QB, North Dakota St. (trade)
    2. SF: Jared Goff, QB, Berkeley (trade)
    3. SD: Laremy Tunsil, LT, Mississippi
    4. DAL: Jalen Ramsey, FS, Florida St.
    5. JAX: Myles Jack, LB, UCLA
    6. BAL: Vernon Hargreaves III, CB, Florida
    7. CLEV: Joey Bosa, DE, Ohio St. (trade)
    8. PHI: Ezekiel Elliott, RB, Ohio St.
    9. TB: DeForest Buckner, DE, Oregon
    10. NYG: Ronnie Stanley, LT, Notre Dame
    11. CHI: A'Shawn Robinson, DT, Alabama
    12. NO:

The Saints are on the clock... and will be on the clock until around midnight (EST).

[Mods, we don't want to garbage up the front page. Please, move/erase Da Bears thread.]

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Re: The Saints are on the clock...

I like Rankins or Conklin for N.O.
    1. Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia 2. Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia 3. Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan 3. ​Renardo Green, CB, FSU 4. Mo Kamara, OLB, Colorado State 6. Logan Lee, DT, Iowa 6.Khristian Boyd, NT, Northern Iowa

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Unfortunately for us, they take Alexander. Their pass defense was putrid, and he is the last remaining elite corner.

It is really going to be hard for us to get the "sure thing" CB that we want in this draft, and this is where that wishful thinking ends.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Saints need defensive help and people are pinning Floyd at around this spot so there you go

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

The Saints are terrible everywhere. Defensively, CB is a strong spot for them actually. They have Delvin Breaux, Lewis, PJ Williams, and Damian Swann so depth would be the action there. Incredibly unproductive at LB, Stephone Anthony is about it, so Saints could go with Ragland, or Lee, here. Cam Jordan, Jenkins, and newly acquired Fairley leave one DE spot available for much needed upgrade. Bringing in Laurinaitis, and Ellerbe, rookies Kikaha, and Tull may pan out, but help is needed at LB. Safety is maybe the weakest position on the Saints' defense. Byrd can't seem to stay on the field and Vaccaro has been in the doghouse as often as not.

Offensively, they they may be just as bad. Injury prone RBs, Watson left via FA, all pro OG Evans was one of the first cuts of the offseason, and Colson is gone from the WR corps.
    OLine is looking decent with Armstead, Peat, and Streif at tackle, and Max Unger at center. Upgrade at guard will happen in this draft.

I think it narrows down to DE, WR, LB, Safety, or TE. With our board ratings at the top of this thread it comes down to Dodd, Ragland, or Treadwell, IMO. I vote the Saints select Reggie Ragland, LB, Bama.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

They love to give Breesus receivers.

They have Cook!!! I know.
    They have Snead!!!!! I know.

They'll still draft Treadwell.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    The Saints are terrible everywhere. Defensively, CB is a strong spot for them actually. They have Delvin Breaux, Lewis, PJ Williams, and Damian Swann so depth would be the action there. Incredibly unproductive at LB, Stephone Anthony is about it, so Saints could go with Ragland, or Lee, here. Cam Jordan, Jenkins, and newly acquired Fairley leave one DE spot available for much needed upgrade. Bringing in Laurinaitis, and Ellerbe, rookies Kikaha, and Tull may pan out, but help is needed at LB. Safety is maybe the weakest position on the Saints' defense. Byrd can't seem to stay on the field and Vaccaro has been in the doghouse as often as not.

Offensively, they they may be just as bad. Injury prone RBs, Watson left via FA, all pro OG Evans was one of the first cuts of the offseason, and Colson is gone from the WR corps.
    OLine is looking decent with Armstead, Peat, and Streif at tackle, and Max Unger at center. Upgrade at guard will happen in this draft.

I think it narrows down to DE, WR, LB, Safety, or TE. With our board ratings at the top of this thread it comes down to Dodd, Ragland, or Treadwell, IMO. I vote the Saints select Reggie Ragland, LB, Bama.
    please be sure to make your vote official by clicking on the tab for Reggie Ragland in the interactive poll posted above...

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

I do not like the future of this team, especially when Brees will leave or retire......

It can change quickly sometimes, but the Saints have a lot of work to do.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    please be sure to make your vote official by clicking on the tab for Reggie Ragland in the interactive poll posted above...
    Now I know!!! lol

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

Shaq Lawson. They need a pass rush and really just a defense desperately. You are in over your head if you think the saints dont go defense after leaving the season as oneo f the worst defenses in history
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

The Saints only had 31 sacks last year. They look to improve the pass rush and strengthen their defense. I have a feeling they take Shaq Lawson.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

I think its linebacker , more specifically inside linebacker and I think Lee is the most talented one on the board the middle of that def is soft he will help fix that with his speed and ability to drop and cover when called upon

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

This is close right now.....

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Don't mean to throw a loop in the mock but,

Dane Brugler @dpbrugler
    I've been trying to brace my fellow Myles Jack fans for this...His rechecks did not go well for several teams. Longterm question marks.
    1. Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia 2. Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia 3. Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan 3. ​Renardo Green, CB, FSU 4. Mo Kamara, OLB, Colorado State 6. Logan Lee, DT, Iowa 6.Khristian Boyd, NT, Northern Iowa

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post
    Don't mean to throw a loop in the mock but,

Dane Brugler @dpbrugler
    I've been trying to brace my fellow Myles Jack fans for this...His rechecks did not go well for several teams. Longterm question marks.
    That would definitely mess some things up. I don't know if it affects us, though. The only two ways I see it breaking are that he either still goes well before we pick, but possibly in the teens instead of top-5 ... or the injury is really THAT bad and nobody wants to take a chance on him until R3 or so.

My money would be on the former. From what I understand of his injury (meniscus), it's the kind that can be fully repaired and you will be back to 100% - but the surgery removes half the cartilege in that part of your knee, so you essentially have half the contact area and double the bone-to-bone stress on your knee, which it can lead to degenerative arthritis and such. It's the kind of thing that can lead to nagging injuries or microfracture surgery (not to mention lifelong problems outside of football). Still, he would be the same player he was before - for the next 4-5 years or so. Then all bets are off. But I think that's enough to tempt some team into taking that risk.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

we need someone to break this tie so that we can move on to the next pick...

I'd change my vote to Lawson from Alexander if it comes down to him or Rankin.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Well, with John Jenkins AND Nick Fairley, I would not expect them to draft a DT 1st round, if that helps at all. Since the super bowl team in '09, there has been an attempt to switch to a 3-4 defense. So far that has failed miserably. They will play a 4-3 base this season with Jordan, Jenkins, Fairley, and Richardson. The DLine looks solid. LBs are a mixed bag with mostly rookies. They picked up Laurinaitis and Ellerbe for veteran LB presence. What they NEED is a reliable safety. But that is not an option, so, personally, I would say Lawson between the 2 tied players. He can play OLB AND DE for depth at worst, or start at best.

I thought they needed pass rush which is why I already voted for Floyd. Between the 2 tied players, Lawson would be more likely

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    I thought they needed pass rush which is why I already voted for Floyd. Between the 2 tied players, Lawson would be more likely
    And you think correctly.

it's no longer tied, Sheldon Rankins wins by one vote.

and if it makes everyone feel any better, a mock draft database of 89 mock drafts agrees:

the Miami Dolphins will be on the clock soon...

New Orleans Saints Updated Mock Draft Database: Sheldon Rankins Leads the Pack

http://www.canalstreetchronicles.com...-rankins-leads

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    it's no longer tied, Sheldon Rankins wins by one vote.

and if it makes everyone feel any better, a mock draft database of 89 mock drafts agrees:

the Miami Dolphins will be on the clock soon...

New Orleans Saints Updated Mock Draft Database: Sheldon Rankins Leads the Pack

http://www.canalstreetchronicles.com...-rankins-leads
    Don't care who won, just wanted a way to break the tie if no one continued to vote