Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: TPOP: The 2016 Steelers a Draft Board

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

TPOP: The 2016 Steelers a Draft Board

Here is my latest article for The Point of Pittsburgh. For draft aficionados , like myself, this should be an interesting read.

The 2016 Steelers Draft Board
    by Tiger Rowan

In order to create a mock draft, a draftnik first needs to set up a draft board. The way that I arrange my draft board is similar to how actual draft boards are set up.

First, I make a list of players who will definitely go before the Steelers’ draft slot; these are players who the Steelers would absolutely draft, but those players have no realistic chance of dropping that far. Then, I list the players who the Steelers do not need, but will assuredly go in the top part of the draft (usually this is the quarterback position). At that juncture, I generally have about a dozen names written down, so I create a tiered list of the players who the Steelers might actually draft. Last, but not least, I make a list of players that the Steelers do not need (or, whom I do not want) and every time that one of these players gets drafted, it bumps one of the players from the third list (possible picks) down towards Pittsburgh’s slot.

Read more:
    http://www.thepointofpittsburgh.com/...s-draft-board/

Feel free to pass this link along to any mock drafters that you know.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Re: TPOP: The 2016 Steelers a Draft Board

James C Wexell ‏@jimwexell Apr 13

CB fans, listen up.

Scott Bischoff @Bischoff_Scott

Following up on a prior tweet on failed test at combine by top SEC cornerback. If true, this will shake up the first round of the NFL draft.

https://twitter.com/jimwexell?ref_sr...Ctwgr%5Eauthor
    Last edited by hawaiiansteeler; 04-15-2016 at 01:15 AM.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    gotta be Mackensie Alexander...

CB fans, listen up.

Following up on a prior tweet on failed test at combine by top SEC cornerback. If true, this will shake up the first round of the NFL draft.

Hargreaves.

Alexander=ACC
    1. Graham Barton, C, Duke 2. Ricky Pearsall, WR, Florida 3. Maason Smith, DT, LSU 3. Max Melton, CB, Rutgers 4. Blake Fisher, OT, Notre Dame 6. Tommy Eichenberg, ILB, Ohio State 6. MJ Devonshire, CB, Pittsburgh

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post
    Hargreaves.

Alexander=ACC
    oh wow, you're absolutely right.

Hargreaves testing positive really would shake up the draft...

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

oh wow, you're absolutely right.

Hargreaves testing positive really would shake up the draft...
    It really would. Could see him falling all the way to #25. Couldn't see the Steelers taking him tho,
    1. Graham Barton, C, Duke 2. Ricky Pearsall, WR, Florida 3. Maason Smith, DT, LSU 3. Max Melton, CB, Rutgers 4. Blake Fisher, OT, Notre Dame 6. Tommy Eichenberg, ILB, Ohio State 6. MJ Devonshire, CB, Pittsburgh

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Wow, that would change the way a lot of the dominos will fall if that is true.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Here is my latest article for The Point of Pittsburgh. For draft aficionados , like myself, this should be an interesting read.

The 2016 Steelers Draft Board
    by Tiger Rowan

In order to create a mock draft, a draftnik first needs to set up a draft board. The way that I arrange my draft board is similar to how actual draft boards are set up.

First, I make a list of players who will definitely go before the Steelers’ draft slot; these are players who the Steelers would absolutely draft, but those players have no realistic chance of dropping that far. Then, I list the players who the Steelers do not need, but will assuredly go in the top part of the draft (usually this is the quarterback position). At that juncture, I generally have about a dozen names written down, so I create a tiered list of the players who the Steelers might actually draft. Last, but not least, I make a list of players that the Steelers do not need (or, whom I do not want) and every time that one of these players gets drafted, it bumps one of the players from the third list (possible picks) down towards Pittsburgh’s slot.

Read more:
    http://www.thepointofpittsburgh.com/...s-draft-board/

Feel free to pass this link along to any mock drafters that you know.

Nice job brother!

I don't understand. Why make a draft board prior to the draft when you can just wait until after the draft to question every pick the team makes like everyone else does? This way, you can just wait until three years later to proclaim that you knew every player that was drafted was going to be great or a complete bust.

Giving your opinions ahead of time takes all the fun out of it because you can't claim to know everything later!

I know you enjoy doing this every year and evaluating players like I do. Knowledge is power!

Of course, now that we all know how you feel about all those players, we'll endlessly mock you for being wrong about any of them.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

CB fans, listen up.

After the Martavis Bryant ordeal, there is no way that the Steelers take him.

The Bengals probably will, though.

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    Nice job brother!

I don't understand. Why make a draft board prior to the draft when you can just wait until after the draft to question every pick the team makes like everyone else does? This way, you can just wait until three years later to proclaim that you knew every player that was drafted was going to be great or a complete bust.

Giving your opinions ahead of time takes all the fun out of it because you can't claim to know everything later!

I know you enjoy doing this every year and evaluating players like I do. Knowledge is power!

Of course, now that we all know how you feel about all those players, we'll endlessly mock you for being wrong about any of them.
    The legend of Angry Chair. Speaking of old school trolls, I wonder when Scrotis is going to rape me; he never followed through on that (people these days never keep their word).

Joking aside, the problem is that even in hindsight, when I re-drafted 2013, I still picked Matt Elam.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Draft Hargreaves anyway. Just don't let him and Bongtaviou room together!

Likely different issues. Bryant is likely self-medicating a larger issue. Betting Hargreaves just got caught partying.

At some point the NFL needs to just stop testing for dope. Alcohol is a far more corrosive issue to actual performance, but that isn't tested for until you get a DUI.

Once again, PR nonsense trumps the best interests of the actual employees/players.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post

Likely different issues. Bryant is likely self-medicating a larger issue. Betting Hargreaves just got caught partying.

At some point the NFL needs to just stop testing for dope. Alcohol is a far more corrosive issue to actual performance, but that isn't tested for until you get a DUI.

Once again, PR nonsense trumps the best interests of the actual employees/players.
    while I mostly agree I still doubt they take him , I probably would however

The legend of Angry Chair. Speaking of old school trolls, I wonder when Scrotis is going to rape me; he never followed through on that (people these days never keep their word).

Joking aside, the problem is that even in hindsight, when I re-drafted 2013, I still picked Matt Elam.

We all fall in love with certain players. It happens to all of us. Sometimes you just believe in your heart that a player is going to be a stud, and it just doesn't work out that way.

It happens to pro scouts all the time.

On a lighter note, who threatened you by saying they were going to give you "A vacation from walking"? Was it the " something Running Back" guy? I'm having a mental block.

I love that one too.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

How do you keep coming up with this rubbish? I checked with BengalGirl5150 and she says it's crap.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

No. Do not take him. If he can't put down the pot knowing he's going into a draft and will be tested, he won't put it down later, either. Addiction and all that. As for corrosive to performance? Pot actually still affects motor control 48 hours after being smoked according to studies (studies of pilots in simulators). The myths around pot still astound me.

Nevertheless, as for the Steelers, it'd be foolish and hypocritical to take him after releasing Bongtonio for similar issues. The fact they're working with Bryant is one thing. Picking up a new guy with possibly even worse issues (not self-medicating, just can't stop when his career is on the line - see draft) is utterly foolish.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    No. Do not take him. If he can't put down the pot knowing he's going into a draft and will be tested, he won't put it down later, either. Addiction and all that. As for corrosive to performance? Pot actually still affects motor control 48 hours after being smoked according to studies (studies of pilots in simulators). The myths around pot still astound me.

Nevertheless, as for the Steelers, it'd be foolish and hypocritical to take him after releasing Bongtonio for similar issues. The fact they're working with Bryant is one thing. Picking up a new guy with possibly even worse issues (not self-medicating, just can't stop when his career is on the line - see draft) is utterly foolish.
    literally tons of guys test positive but we only hear about a select few , many more that pass the test would also fail if it was a hair test instead of a piss test .

I read somewhere ( not sure of the validity ) that approximately 80% of the league smokes pot , that being said just because someone else is doing it does not mean you should be doing it .

I do not smoke weed , but I have in my youth so I have nothing to gain from the league allowing it or disallowing it but I think its kind of a silly rule nonetheless but as stated the rule is the rule you know it so you should abide by it if you want to continue working in that field ( pardon the pun )

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

This issue should, in the future, be handled the same way as the NBA does. It is not allowed, still a banned substance, but we just won't test for it.

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    On a lighter note, who threatened you by saying they were going to give you "A vacation from walking"? Was it the " something Running Back" guy? I'm having a mental block.

I love that one too.
    That was Scrotis... in his RV that he drove 300 miles to each game.

He was being misogynistic and rude to Lady Steel; I intervened; and, he promised me a "vacation from walking."

Every time that I see an RV at a game, I think: "Oh please, let today be my lucky day."

Good Guys with Black Hats Array title="SteelMember has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelMember's Avatar

That was Scrotis... in his RV that he drove 300 miles to each game.

He was being misogynistic and rude to Lady Steel; I intervened; and, he promised me a "vacation from walking."

Every time that I see an RV at a game, I think: "Oh please, let today be my lucky day."

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

I do not really care whether we select a guy who smokes pot. I care whether we select a guy who gets CAUGHT smoking pot.

Bottom line, it is not very difficult to avoid getting busted by drug tests. It's common knowledge that it's widespread in the league, but only a handful of players fail their tests. It seems like a lot because you hear about it every time, but in reality it's probably a couple percent.

Getting caught usually involves a complete lack of foresight, or that you are completely out of control with it - e.g., caught up in the mentality of smoking all day/every day and always pushing to see how brazen you can be about it and still get away with it. Neither one of those speaks well about your ability to avoid getting caught again in the future, when it will cost you (and your team) games.

Again: I really don't care if you smoke pot; lots of people do; used to myself. Just your ability to stay out of trouble with the league.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    I do not really care whether we select a guy who smokes pot. I care whether we select a guy who gets CAUGHT smoking pot.

Bottom line, it is not very difficult to avoid getting busted by drug tests. It's common knowledge that it's widespread in the league, but only a handful of players fail their tests. It seems like a lot because you hear about it every time, but in reality it's probably a couple percent.

Getting caught usually involves a complete lack of foresight, or that you are completely out of control with it - e.g., caught up in the mentality of smoking all day/every day and always pushing to see how brazen you can be about it and still get away with it. Neither one of those speaks well about your ability to avoid getting caught again in the future, when it will cost you (and your team) games.

Again: I really don't care if you smoke pot; lots of people do; used to myself. Just your ability to stay out of trouble with the league.
    Exactly!!!

Let me see, when is the combine? Who knows??? They'll probably just spring it on me. It's not like it's scheduled for a certain day, where I could plan on having weed out of my system. Oh look: it is February 20th... sounds like a good morning to get high!!! Derp!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    How do you keep coming up with this rubbish? I checked with BengalGirl5150 and she says it's crap.
    Speaking of BengalGirl5150, that is exactly how I come up with my tiered list.

I place a hundred chickens into a room, each one having a name tag with a different player's name on it. Then, I shove BengalGirl5150 into the room. Whenever she grabs a chicken, decapitates it, and drinks its blood, I take the name from the tag and that player goes onto my list.

Unfortunately for me, the year that I had ranked Matt Elam so highly, the chicken with his name tag had fallen into a vat of moonshine... which drew BengalGirl5150 right to it.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Agreed. Testing for THC in a league where it's pretty common knowledge that over 90 percent of the players smoke weed regularly is a joke. They should test for PEDs and that's it.

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    Agreed. Testing for THC in a league where it's pretty common knowledge that over 90 percent of the players smoke weed regularly is a joke. They should test for PEDs and that's it.

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    Talk to the smileys.

See you Space Cowboy ...

Here's the thing:

Should weed be legal? Yes
    Should the NFL test for weed? No

Is weed legal? No
    Does the NFL test for weed? Yes

Is every player tested at the Combine? Yes
    Was the date (Feb 20th) known? Yes
    Could Hargreaves have refrained? Yes
    Did Hargreaves refrain from smoking weed? No

SUMMATION:
    Hargreaves may not have a weed issue, but man alive! he's dumb.

Artie Burns is happy, though... because this pushes Burns up into R1.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

On one note about legalizing pot, and this is simply a very narrow look, I have a sister that lives in the Denver area. Her facebook is full of tales of 'stoners' blocking up everything. At the grocery, movie ticket/concession lines, gas pumps, you name it. Which means, and this is the main point, these idiots cannot control themselves and are apparently driving around under this influence. I have always been one of those 'what you do in your own home is your own business' thinkers. But, legalization has caused an influx of bad decision making by the pro pot people. Not saying I would or would not have a recreational stash at my own home if it becomes legal in my area, just saying I disagree with a full scale legalization nation-wide. That would be a big mistake. As that pertains to football and the NFL, again, a full scale legalization would be a bad idea. Just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    On one note about legalizing pot, and this is simply a very narrow look, I have a sister that lives in the Denver area. Her facebook is full of tales of 'stoners' blocking up everything. At the grocery, movie ticket/concession lines, gas pumps, you name it. Which means, and this is the main point, these idiots cannot control themselves and are apparently driving around under this influence. I have always been one of those 'what you do in your own home is your own business' thinkers. But, legalization has caused an influx of bad decision making by the pro pot people. Not saying I would or would not have a recreational stash at my own home if it becomes legal in my area, just saying I disagree with a full scale legalization nation-wide. That would be a big mistake. As that pertains to football and the NFL, again, a full scale legalization would be a bad idea. Just my opinion.
    Good point(s).

Sticking strictly to the NFL/Hargreaves... my main gripe with the kid is the stupidity of his actions. How do you fail a drug test that you KNOW is coming!?!

I hope that he is the opposite of Johnny Manziel. Manziel was extremely professional leading up to the draft. He wowed everyone at the Combine interviews, was a superstar at his pro day, and stayed out of trouble (zero failed drug tests). He made himself millions by being "clean". Then...

Maybe Hargreaves is the antithesis. He fucked up at the Combine, he'll look like an idiot for 6 months, losing millions in the process... and then, he'll be the best CB since Deion Sanders.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Legalization is not the problem there. It is legalization without regulation. Alcohol, which I enjoy, is legal but regulated. Do people still show up drunk/buzzed places, yup. But there is some guidelines. Pot is legal, but not that regulated on the consumption DWI side. That will come, everything is still new. States are "laboratories of democracy" and all that.

I just think that it is a load of crap that Manziel could lace them up tomorrow for an NFL team and Hargreaves, Bryant, Gordon, et al are not going to be allowed to by the league. I think it was Jamarcus Russell or Akili Smith that have talked very openly about how they drank themselves out of the league and no one cared. Look at Big Ben. Everything points towards an early career period of time of a guy that liked to drink. And drink a lot. Favre was a fall down drunk early in his career and that was large part of why Jerry Glanvile traded him. Jim McManon showed up for his first press conference drinking an actual beer. There are almost innumerable more examples. Imagine the guys that get addicted to pain pills and is likely swept WAY under the rug.

Pot is no more addictive than liquor. It is science and stuff. In fact it may be less addictive and less medically bad for you. But, let's test the ever loving crap out of our mostly minority players (who cultural, generational, and socio-economic wise have more of a preference for weed than alcohol - here I am drawing on my anthropology background and painting with a VERY broad brush, so bear with me) so that it all looks good for the 24/7 NFL news cycle. And our mostly majority, older, and culturally different consumers will feel better about the nice team-oriented, dedicated to their craft, conscious of the "privilege" they have been given (not earned, but given) to have the opportunity to get paid millions of dollars to play a game for a living, etc players they cheer for each week

The NFL marketing and NFL films have created a myth. We all love the myth. "The Autumn Wind is a Raider..." and whatnot. But not a single thing the NFL does has anything to do with "helping" the players. It has to do with ensuring the fans stay happy, keep paying for stuff, and the league and owners make money. Because the NFL knows that as long as those things happen, they can always find young men to compete for roster spots. If every player disappeared tomorrow, they could have every roster re-filled by Wednesday.

What am I saying? Nothing directed at anything that anyone specifically said here. Just a rant against the general stance the NFL takes on things. Despite my anger over it, it won't change anything. Following the NFL is my main hobby. It isn't like I am going to stop doing that. Just makes me frustrated. When you hear about the medical and lifestyle issues older players have and see that the league really doesn't give a shit. Then look at how little they care about the current players. Sad.

Legalization is not the problem there. It is legalization without regulation. Alcohol, which I enjoy, is legal but regulated. Do people still show up drunk/buzzed places, yup. But there is some guidelines. Pot is legal, but not that regulated on the consumption DWI side. That will come, everything is still new. States are "laboratories of democracy" and all that.

I just think that it is a load of crap that Manziel could lace them up tomorrow for an NFL team and Hargreaves, Bryant, Gordon, et al are not going to be allowed to by the league. I think it was Jamarcus Russell or Akili Smith that have talked very openly about how they drank themselves out of the league and no one cared. Look at Big Ben. Everything points towards an early career period of time of a guy that liked to drink. And drink a lot. Favre was a fall down drunk early in his career and that was large part of why Jerry Glanvile traded him. Jim McManon showed up for his first press conference drinking an actual beer. There are almost innumerable more examples. Imagine the guys that get addicted to pain pills and is likely swept WAY under the rug.

Pot is no more addictive than liquor. It is science and stuff. In fact it may be less addictive and less medically bad for you. But, let's test the ever loving crap out of our mostly minority players (who cultural, generational, and socio-economic wise have more of a preference for weed than alcohol - here I am drawing on my anthropology background and painting with a VERY broad brush, so bear with me) so that it all looks good for the 24/7 NFL news cycle. And our mostly majority, older, and culturally different consumers will feel better about the nice team-oriented, dedicated to their craft, conscious of the "privilege" they have been given (not earned, but given) to have the opportunity to get paid millions of dollars to play a game for a living, etc players they cheer for each week

The NFL marketing and NFL films have created a myth. We all love the myth. "The Autumn Wind is a Raider..." and whatnot. But not a single thing the NFL does has anything to do with "helping" the players. It has to do with ensuring the fans stay happy, keep paying for stuff, and the league and owners make money. Because the NFL knows that as long as those things happen, they can always find young men to compete for roster spots. If every player disappeared tomorrow, they could have every roster re-filled by Wednesday.

What am I saying? Nothing directed at anything that anyone specifically said here. Just a rant against the general stance the NFL takes on things. Despite my anger over it, it won't change anything. Following the NFL is my main hobby. It isn't like I am going to stop doing that. Just makes me frustrated. When you hear about the medical and lifestyle issues older players have and see that the league really doesn't give a shit. Then look at how little they care about the current players. Sad.
    Yes, I agree. That was sort of what I was aiming toward myself, regulation. IMO, a broad brush legalization of pot in the NFL would be disastrous. A more regulated approach, it's banned but we don't really test for it type approach, might work. I don't think players would show up to practice/meetings/workouts/etc stoned any more than they would show up drunk. So regulated. But if a player wants to relax at home with a cocktail or a few bong hits, no big deal.

Great post. Excellent, really.

That said, I still say that anyone who fails the Combine's drug test is dumb. You had one job!!!