View Poll Results: With the #11 pick, Da Bears select...

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • Leonard Floyd, OLB, Georgia

0 0%
  • Darron Lee, LB, Ohio St.

1 11.11%
  • Shaq Lawson, OLB/DE, Clemson

1 11.11%
  • Kevin Dodd, OLB/DE, Clemson

1 11.11%
  • Mackensie Alexander, CB, Clemson

0 0%
  • Eli Apple, CB, Ohio St.

0 0%
  • William Jackson III, CB, Houston

0 0%
  • A'Shawn Robinson, DT, Alabama

5 55.56%
  • Jarred Reed, DT, Alabama

0 0%
  • Vernon Butler, DT, La Tech

0 0%
  • Sheldon Rankins, DT, Louisville

1 11.11%
  • Reggie Ragland, ILB, Alabama

0 0%

Thread: Da Bears are on the clock...

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Da Bears are on the clock...

Da Bears are on the clock...

Over at Steelers Fever, every year, teegre & I would coordinate a "Steelers Fever Consensus Mock Draft".

We would start with the first pick... with a thread, a poll, and a discussion. The poll/thread would be up for 12 hours, and then, we'd move on to the next team. So on & so forth until we would get to Pittsburgh's selection, where the poll would stay open for several days.

Why??? This will allow for us to get a sense of who might ACTUALLY be there at pick #25. No joke: we've come pretty close every single year. Have fun with it.

So... as not to break tradition...
    "First Annual Steelers Universe Consensus Mock Draft".

1. LA: Carson Wentz, QB, North Dakota St. (trade)
    2. SF: Jared Goff, QB, Berkeley (trade)
    3. SD: Laremy Tunsil, LT, Mississippi
    4. DAL: Jalen Ramsey, FS, Florida St.
    5. JAX: Myles Jack, LB, UCLA
    6. BAL: Vernon Hargreaves III, CB, Florida
    7. CLEV: Joey Bosa, DE, Ohio St. (trade)
    8. PHI: Ezekiel Elliott, RB, Ohio St.
    9. TB: DeForest Buckner, DE, Oregon
    10. NYG: Ronnie Stanley, LT, Notre Dame
    11. CHI:

Da Bears are on the clock... and will be on the clock until around 12:00 noon (EST).

[Mods, we don't want to garbage up the front page. Please, move/erase the NY Giants thread.]

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Re: Da Bears are on the clock...

Robinson is probably the best player left at this point, and he's a fit, so he's a Bear.

Man, am I glad I'm not a Chargers fan with the way this falls out now. If I'm their GM, I'm running up to the podium to kill myself before I make that pick.

Two potentially one-of-a-kind players on the board, or my choice of any pass rusher I want, and I take an offensive tackle? Yeah, they need one, but no one needs one THAT bad.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    Robinson is probably the best player left at this point, and he's a fit, so he's a Bear.

Man, am I glad I'm not a Chargers fan with the way this falls out now. If I'm their GM, I'm running up to the podium to kill myself before I make that pick.

Two potentially one-of-a-kind players on the board, or my choice of any pass rusher I want, and I take an offensive tackle? Yeah, they need one, but no one needs one THAT bad.
    3. San Diego Chargers: Laremy Tunsil, OT, Ole Miss

The only way the Chargers aren't sprinting to the podium to hand in their envelope is if owner Dean Spanos is still on the phone, trying to find a city that will take his football team. This is a dream come true for the Chargers, as obtaining Laremy Tunsil might have once seemed like a pipe dream, a "dream with pipes" as described by one Hall of Fame running back. That, however, seems like a lock now in the wake of the Rams' trade.

It's pretty obvious what Tunsil would do for San Diego. The offensive line has been a disaster area the past several seasons, but that probably would no longer be the case with Tunsil stationed on the blind side to protect Philip Rivers from all of the ferocious pass-rushers in the AFC West.

http://walterfootball.com/draft2016....vyWJItjmtKl.99

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Yep.

When the trade news came down, the San Diego sports-talk-radio talking-heads were going nuts about being able to get Tunsil. They had accepted that he was going to go #1... and now... they're ecstatic.

Is Ramsey the best player in the draft? Yes.

Is keeping Philip Rivers upright (considering that he faces Kalil Mack, Vonn Miller, & Tamba Hali twice each per season)? YES!!!

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Yep.

When the trade news came down, the San Diego sports-talk-radio talking-heads were going nuts about being able to get Tunsil. They had accepted that he was going to go #1... and now... they're ecstatic.

Is Ramsey the best player in the draft? Yes.

Is keeping Philip Rivers upright (considering that he faces Kalil Mack, Vonn Miller, & Tamba Hali twice each per season)? YES!!!

... which can be done in the next round; don't forget they pick near the top there too. Plenty of prospects this year. Or they could try to work out a deal for someone capable of doing it. Or just suck it up and realize that the earth is not going to crash into the sun if you have a merely adequate left tackle.

Look, I get it - protecting the QB is important. But there is not only one guy who is capable of doing that, or one way to get someone who is. It is such overkill that it's not even funny.

Taking into account what they're giving up ... yeah, they'd need to have shit for brains. I would never, ever take an offensive lineman, no matter how badly I needed one, if a standout player like Ramsey (or Jack) was still available. As they say, you see a player like that, you take him and figure the rest out later. Name one team who ever won a championship because of their left tackle.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

... which can be done in the next round; don't forget they pick near the top there too. Plenty of prospects this year. Or they could try to work out a deal for someone capable of doing it. Or just suck it up and realize that the earth is not going to crash into the sun if you have a merely adequate left tackle.

Look, I get it - protecting the QB is important. But there is not only one guy who is capable of doing that, or one way to get someone who is. It is such overkill that it's not even funny.

Taking into account what they're giving up ... yeah, they'd need to have shit for brains. I would never, ever take an offensive lineman, no matter how badly I needed one, if a standout player like Ramsey (or Jack) was still available. As they say, you see a player like that, you take him and figure the rest out later. Name one team who ever won a championship because of their left tackle.
    3. San Diego Chargers — Ole Miss OT Laremy Tunsil

The Chargers stand pat and land the best tackle in the draft, the one everyone expected to go first overall. They’ll rejoice the pick.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/blogs/n...193001646.html

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    3. San Diego Chargers — Ole Miss OT Laremy Tunsil

The Chargers stand pat and land the best tackle in the draft, the one everyone expected to go first overall. They’ll rejoice the pick.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/blogs/n...193001646.html
    Gotta give Rivers more protection. Can't see them doing anything in that division anyway with Oakland, KC & Denver's defense.
    1. Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia 2. Zach Frazier, C, West Virginia 3. Roman Wilson, WR, Michigan 3. ​Renardo Green, CB, FSU 4. Mo Kamara, OLB, Colorado State 6. Logan Lee, DT, Iowa 6.Khristian Boyd, NT, Northern Iowa

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

The Bears have so many needs, they can go in any direction.

They are abysmal against the run in a cold weather city. I think they go with A'Shawn Robinson DT, Alabama.

I think it makes sense. They are 22nd against the run, and they have two decent ILB's. Time to upgrade the defensive line with a premier player up the middle.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

We simply do not agree on the importance of O-linemen.

(See: our discussions about Pouncey)

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    We simply do not agree on the importance of O-linemen.

(See: our discussions about Pouncey)

That's exactly right. Most people think it has to do with the ceiling of the best players on the line; I think it has to do with the floor of the worst. Who's right? Me, obviously, but of course I'm going to think that.

I'm convinced that someday somebody is going to to a brilliant scientific analysis about this, and it'll show that using a top-5 pick on a lineman almost always hurts your team because of the difference-making player you're giving up at another position. Until then, I'll have to live with it being an unpopular opinion.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

That's exactly right. Most people think it has to do with the ceiling of the best players on the line; I think it has to do with the floor of the worst. Who's right? Me, obviously, but of course I'm going to think that.

I'm convinced that someday somebody is going to to a brilliant scientific analysis about this, and it'll show that using a top-5 pick on a lineman almost always hurts your team because of the difference-making player you're giving up at another position. Until then, I'll have to live with it being an unpopular opinion.
    I agree with you, but at the same time, sometimes you have to spend many early draft pick on the o-line to have a good o-line.

Just looking at the steelers.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

The Bears need help everywhere, especially in the defensive backfield. Apple, Alexander, or JacksonIII? Maybe.

On the offense they are without a run game, but too early/late since Elliot is already gone. Just lost Bennett so who's playing TE? Is it too early for a Hunter Henry pick? Typically yes. But in this case, need of a TE, talent drop off after Henry(not too mention off field issues), makes sense.

With the 11th pick, the Bears select Hunter Henry, TE, Ark. 6'5" 250lbs weapon of mass destruction.

since no other player has more than one vote, A'Shawn Robinson is declared the winner.

the Saints are on the clock next, that poll will be up and running very soon...

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    I agree with you, but at the same time, sometimes you have to spend many early draft pick on the o-line to have a good o-line.

Just looking at the steelers.

Well yeah, but we weren't using the #3 overall pick on Pouncey or DeCastro. Both of those guys are great players and good value for where we picked them - but if we'd passed on, say, Troy Polamalu at #3 to get one, I'd be PISSED. I don't think there's anyone who would make that tradeoff unless they're just here to argue. And that's the kind of talent level you may be giving up with a top-3 pick.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

since no other player has more than one vote, A'Shawn Robinson is declared the winner.

the Saints are on the clock next, that poll will be up and running very soon...
    I think there were 3 votes total on the Bears? I thought this would have more thought and discussion.

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Well yeah, but we weren't using the #3 overall pick on Pouncey or DeCastro. Both of those guys are great players and good value for where we picked them - but if we'd passed on, say, Troy Polamalu at #3 to get one, I'd be PISSED. I don't think there's anyone who would make that tradeoff unless they're just here to argue. And that's the kind of talent level you may be giving up with a top-3 pick.

agree

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    I think there were 3 votes total on the Bears? I thought this would have more thought and discussion.
    there were actually 10 total votes for the Bears selection.

5 for A'Shawn Robinson and one vote each for Darron Lee, Shaq Lawson, Kevin Dodd, Sheldon Rankins and Hunter Henry.
    Last edited by hawaiiansteeler; 04-15-2016 at 02:30 PM.

there were actually 9 total votes for the Bears selection.

4 for A'Shawn Robinson and one vote each for Darron Lee, Shaq Lawson, Kevin Dodd, Sheldon Rankins and Hunter Henry.
    I must be missing some posts.

I must be missing some posts.
    did you view the poll results at the top of this page?

also, this is the 19th post in this thread...

did you view the poll results at the top of this page?

also, this is the 19th post in this thread...
    I do have post #19 but did not see the results tab until you just mentioned it. Thanks. I did not even know that was interactive like that. Makes perfect sense, just wasn't aware.

I do have post #19 but did not see the results tab until you just mentioned it. Thanks. I did not even know that was interactive like that. Makes perfect sense, just wasn't aware.
    you're very welcome, glad to be of help.