Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Boykin a Panther but wait look at the $

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Re: Boykin a Panther but wait look at the $

Quote Originally Posted by zulater View Post
    So who's going to start the obligatory "Should the Steelers sign Brandon Boykin" thread?
    only if we can find a way to trade for Antwan Blake and start him ahead of Boykin again.

those discussions are so priceless and I already miss them...

STEELER NATION RULES ! Array title="katmandu has much to be proud of"> katmandu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    I think Carolina signed him, found themselves in a position to draft CBs and decided to go younger...remember, this is also the team that retracted the offer to one of the better CBS in the league...
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...s-and-reaction

His signing also seemed to be a good decision because of Pro Bowl corner Josh Norman's franchise-tag drama that resulted in his release and eventual signing with the Washington Redskins just three days before the 2016 NFL draft.

Carolina responded by drafting cornerbacks James Bradberry out of Samford in the second round, Daryl Worley out of West Virginia in the third and Zack Sanchez out of Oklahoma in the fifth.

So far they've been impressing head coach Ron Rivera, who toldJoseph Person of the Charlotte Observer on Saturday he was "very happy" with what he's seen from the trio of draft picks.

Their early success might have been why Boykin was expendable despite recording eight interceptions in his first four years in the league with the Philadelphia Eagles and Pittsburgh Steelers.

He voiced his dissatisfaction soon after he found out he'd be looking for a new team:

Follow

Brandon Boykin
    ‎@BrandonBoykin2

Lol NFL does not surprise me anymore.. Business is crazy. On to the next.
    9:36 AM - 16 May 2016

"Never argue with a fool; onlookers may not be able to tell the difference." -- Mark Twain

Support Steelers Universe with a Donation via PayPal !

http://www.steelersuniverse.com/foru....php?do=donate

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Tomlin is so dumb. He had & cut Shaq Richardson... who the Panthers just signed to replace Boykin.

In other words, Boykin was All World, and Richardson replacing him means that Richardson is obviously All Universe.

Dumb, dumb, dumb.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post

Tomlin is so dumb. He had & cut Shaq Richardson... who the Panthers just signed to replace Boykin.

In other words, Boykin was All World, and Richardson replacing him means that Richardson is obviously All Universe.

Dumb, dumb, dumb.
    Mike Tomlin: your comments are nothing more than "elevator music"...

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Dumb, dumb, dumb.
    Obviously.

Banned Array title="LloydWoodson is a glorious beacon of light">

Steelers will have two slot corners in Gay and Golson this year and three is a crowd.

The Steelers were correct to sit Boykin until they had to play him. Up until the secondary got embarrassed by the Raiders, Browns and Seahawks the "bend but don't break" thing was working well. The Steelers were able to keep a 4th as a result and Boykin played when it mattered getting the second most snaps of every corner down the stretch.

The Steelers did play Boykin more than Blake and Cockrell eventually and just in time for the important games. I'm still not mad at the signing and hope Boykin catches on with another team... but he is not going to find work on a team that is set with a nickel corner. The slot is his fate and the sooner he accepts it the better for him.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Guy gets cut and traded around like Boykin has the past year or so - the problem is likely off the field something.

I think the funniest thing is that in a way, Boykin was cut so that the Panthers could keep Shaq Richardson out of rookie minicamp.

Somehow that all still means that Tomlin was wrong!

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LloydWoodson View Post
    Steelers will have two slot corners in Gay and Golson this year and three is a crowd.

The Steelers were correct to sit Boykin until they had to play him. Up until the secondary got embarrassed by the Raiders, Browns and Seahawks the "bend but don't break" thing was working well. The Steelers were able to keep a 4th as a result and Boykin played when it mattered getting the second most snaps of every corner down the stretch.

The Steelers did play Boykin more than Blake and Cockrell eventually and just in time for the important games. I'm still not mad at the signing and hope Boykin catches on with another team... but he is not going to find work on a team that is set with a nickel corner. The slot is his fate and the sooner he accepts it the better for him.

The only issue I have with what you said is the part in bold, and not even with you; it was a common misconception last year. People were saying "bend but don't break," but basically we were just lucky as hell up to that point. I can't remember exactly when I first posted about the subject, but around 5-6 games into the season, we'd given up either zero or one offensive turnovers and punt returns that put the other team in good field position, and there was no way that was going to continue; and the number of unforced errors and lucky breaks we got after the opponent had driven 40-50 yards was staggering. We weren't doing anything particularly right to cause that. Maybe that's why the change took so long, but at this point, what the hell.

I think there must be something going on behind the scenes with Boykin for this to be happening. Doesn't necessarily mean it was the right move to sit him on the bench when the guy in front of him was historically bad, but I suppose from a roster-move standpoint none of it surprises me now.

There's no way we would even consider bringing him back, I don't think, unless someone gets injured. There's no reason why someone 5'9" or 5"10 can't play outside (as Blake did last year, and Gay did noticeably better), but we have an overabundance of guys who can play the slot and hopefully at least two long-term starters locked up for the near future, all three if Cockrell pans out. So there is a lot more reason to be hopeful about that position.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

^It was "bend but don't break" though.

AZ 13 pointd on 421 yards passing, 49ers 18 points on 332 yards passing, Chargers 20 points on 365 yards passing. EVen the Pats didn't break 30 with Gronkowski scoring at will.

That's just how I see it as it was explained by Lake that they weren't going to bench anyone if they weren't playing badly which I inferred meant hurting the team badly.

Blake was terrible (see AJ Green and DT stiff arming him like he was a small child) but ultimately the defense held the other teams to around 20 points.

It's not that Carr threw for 302 yards it is that he put up 35 points... but the Steelers won.

Same for Russell Wilson's perfect game where he had 5 TDs and put up 39. That's more than the 49ers and Rams or Chargers scored combined... and the Steelers lost.

Right after that Boykin became the Steelers second most played corner.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LloydWoodson View Post
    ^It was "bend but don't break" though.

AZ 13 pointd on 421 yards passing, 49ers 18 points on 332 yards passing, Chargers 20 points on 365 yards passing. EVen the Pats didn't break 30 with Gronkowski scoring at will.

That's just how I see it as it was explained by Lake that they weren't going to bench anyone if they weren't playing badly which I inferred meant hurting the team badly.

Blake was terrible (see AJ Green and DT stiff arming him like he was a small child) but ultimately the defense held the other teams to around 20 points.

It's not that Carr threw for 302 yards it is that he put up 35 points... but the Steelers won.

Same for Russell Wilson's perfect game where he had 5 TDs and put up 39. That's more than the 49ers and Rams or Chargers scored combined... and the Steelers lost.

Right after that Boykin became the Steelers second most played corner.

Is this the LloydWoodson???

I remember one night, debating with you about some topic. Back & forth, back & forth. Then, in one post, you stated: "I actually agree with everything that you have stated since the beginning... I was just playing devil's advocate in order to kill some time; I've got to go."

Anyway... a warm welcome to you.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

This just keeps getting more comical!

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2016/05...ons-next-week/

Guess who else is on the roster in Atlanta? Demarcus Van Dyke and CJ Goodwin.

Report: CB Brandon Boykin To Visit Falcons Next Week

BY DAVE BRYAN MAY 18, 2016

Cornerback Brandon Boykin is looking for a new team following his release from the Carolina Panthers earlier this week and he now has a visit scheduled for early next week.

According to D. Orlando Ledbetter of the Atlanta Journal Constitution, Boykin is set to visit with the Atlanta Falcons on Monday.

Boykin, who played for the Pittsburgh Steelers last season, was surprisingly released by the Panthers after signing a one-year contract with them back in March.

One would think at this point that Boykin’s market value will remain at the minimum veteran salary level.

The Falcons currently have two cornerbacks on their roster who once called Pittsburgh home in DeMarcus Van Dyke and C.J. Goodwin. Goodwin, a former wide receiver, was asked to switch to cornerback after signing with the Falcons, who will be without cornerback Jalen Collins for the first four games of the 2016 season due to a suspension.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    This just keeps getting more comical!

Guess who else is on the roster in Atlanta? Demarcus Van Dyke and CJ Goodwin.
    ZOMG! We're hemorrhaging talent!

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    ZOMG! We're hemorrhaging talent!

SOLUTION:

1. Fire Tomlin.

2. Trade Maurkice "Glass" Pouncey and Le'Veon "Not as Good as Lacy" Bell to Atlanta for DeMarcus Van Dyke and CJ Goodwin.

3. Re-sign Brandon "Primetime" Boykin.

4. Trade both Artie "Bust" Burns and Senquez "Too Small" Golson to a team for one R7 pick. (This part will be the toughest to pull off.)

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

SOLUTION:

1. Fire Tomlin.

2. Trade Maurkice "Glass" Pouncey and Le'Veon "Not as Good as Lacy" Bell to Atlanta for DeMarcus Van Dyke and CJ Goodwin.

4. Trade both Artie "Bust" Burns and Senquez "Too Small" Golson to a team for one R7 pick. (This part will be the toughest to pull off.)
    5. CHAMPIONSHIP!

SOLUTION:

1. Fire Tomlin.

5. Trade Wheaton now. He isn't really any good - DHB is better and cheaper. He is such an over rated WR that I figure the rest of the NFL will be clamoring to give the Steelers a 2nd or 3rd round pick for him.

6. Championship!

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

SOLUTION:

1. Fire Tomlin.

Let Ben beat up Haley.
    Artie Burns "Toast" should be cut before camp.
    Keep Danny Smith and our mediocre return game because Ben likes to start at his own 12 yard line.
    Trade Ben after beating up Haley. His preparation sucks.
    Sammie Coates blows because he didn't have 300 catches, 8000 yards and 500 TD's in his rookie season.
    Keep Laundry Jones for his ugly flannel shirts.
    Fire all poker players and secret agent international bankers.
    Adopt hippos as our new mascot and get rid of that fart Steely McBeam.

5. Trade Wheaton for Andrew Billings. He isn't really any good - DHB is better and cheaper. He is such an over rated WR that I figure the Bengals will be clamoring to give the Steelers Andrew Billings for him.
    Edited

Is this the LloydWoodson???

I remember one night, debating with you about some topic. Back & forth, back & forth. Then, in one post, you stated: "I actually agree with everything that you have stated since the beginning... I was just playing devil's advocate in order to kill some time; I've got to go."

Anyway... a warm welcome to you.
    Haha. Yeah that sounds 100% like something I would do and I definitely remember you and FanSince76 and a couple others. I won't disagree with you much you're pretty smart and I like to pretend I am the same.

I disagreed with FanSince76 over Ben and he was right and I was wrong. I definitely undervalued Ben in the past. I remember him saying something to the effect of "Back in my day we had a franchise QB and we won Super Bowls. Then we had Malone, Brister, and Stoudt. You youngsters don't know how good you have it dagammit." That was a couple years ago already and Ben is playing unreal.

Anyways, I'll try to argue less than I used to though I can keep things interesting. I usually have a moderate opinion but have strong reactions to strong opinions that aren't based in fact. It is often about how people make their arguments that gets me riled up.

I look forward to your posts now that we are reunited. Thanks for the welcome. Go Steelers!

I didn't realize this was the Boykin thread. My 2 cents:

Boykin is a slot corner in the NFL. Yes he would have been better outside than Blake but that isn't saying much and Blake is no longer here. I liked Boykin when he was here but am ecstatic that Blake is gone. To me that is a wash.

Steelers already have Gay and Golson who are also slot corners. Golson was an All-American and Gay is Tomlin's best friend (also was the best CB last year). I get it.

There are a number of reasons why Boykin did not play until week 10 last year. Life isn't black and white it is a pie chart with various motives behind different actions/events.

Yes the draft pick was one of them. Why would you drop a round when the secondary was getting torched but the defense wasn't giving up big points and the Steelers were still winning games. In the losses to Baltimore and KC the other QBs were pedestrian. It wasn't until the Raiders that the Steelers gave up 30+ points. Hell Palmer had 421 yards and scored just 13 points.

Other factors that saw Boykin sit: Gay better in the slot than outside, Boykin injured early in the season, Boykin signed Sept 5th and didn't have experience in the system whereas Blake did, defense held up in points allowed early, Boykin has not been viewed as an outside corner by any team etc.

Boykin was the 2nd most played CB from the Colts onward. He played well. Now Golson is back. The Steelers are full up with 5'9-5'10 DBs haha.

Now... the part that bothers me is when fans attack Boykin. Boykin played well for us. He is a solid nickel corner. I don't care which NFL teams don't agree. A lot of NFL teams miss on players regularly. Boykin isn't a flashy prospect: he is small, doesn't have a draft pedigree, is only viable in the slot, has badmouthed his ex coach Chip Kelly publicly etc. he still gets the job done but he has obvious faults as well... obviously.

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

5. Trade Wheaton now. He isn't really any good - DHB is better and cheaper. He is such an over rated WR that I figure the rest of the NFL will be clamoring to give the Steelers a 2nd or 3rd round pick for him.

6. Championship!
    Damn......the season needs to start for some people!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post
    Damn......the season needs to start for some people!!!
    Only about 2 months until training camp!

Report: Falcons pass on signing Boykin

Posted by Zac Jackson on May 25, 2016

Free agent cornerback Brandon Boykin will remain free for now, ESPN’s Vaughn McClure reported Wednesday.

Boykin worked out for the Falcons earlier this week. A source indicated to McClure that Boykin is healthy and that the Falcons choosing not to sign him is a football decision, not one based on any outside factors.

The Panthers released Boykin earlier this month after signing him in March. He became a free agent after playing last season with the Steelers, who acquired him in a preseason trade with the Eagles.

Boykin, 26, had six of his eight career interceptions in 2013 with the Eagles. He played in all 16 games for the Steelers last season, mostly in nickel packages.

The Falcons will likely stay active in their search for cornerback help. Second-year cornerback Jalen Collins is facing a four-game suspension to start the 2016 season, and the Falcons did not address the position in this year’s draft.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...igning-boykin/

Senior Member Array title="Drazo85 has a reputation beyond repute"> Drazo85's Avatar
    Tetris Champion! Jungle Fruit Champion!

WTF is going on with this guy?

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2016/06...hip-condition/

Carnell Lake On Brandon Boykin: He Had A Degenerative Hip Condition

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    http://www.steelersdepot.com/2016/06...hip-condition/

Carnell Lake On Brandon Boykin: He Had A Degenerative Hip Condition
    Colt's HOF wr Raymond Berry had one leg longer than the other and had terrible eyesight.

If you can play you can play. Let the film do the talking. At vet minimum why wouldn't you sign this guy for quality depth?
    "A man's got to know his limitations."