Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Martavis Bryant Facing Season Long Suspension

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Re: Martavis Bryant Facing Season Long Suspension

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Ward 86 View Post
    yeah i find it amusing that as fans, the majority of people are so quick to label him a dumbass instead of having any semblance of thought towards
    "MAYBE this is associated with mental illness." Depression would make a lot of sense. Ah, good ole America. Nice to know mental illness isnt dismissed at all
    Those nearest him including the FO and the program he went through last year should have picked up on this somewhere along the line....and maybe they did but ignored it. I don't think one can label all depression as mental illness.

Senior Member Array title="Bluecoat96 has a reputation beyond repute"> Bluecoat96's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Ward 86 View Post
    yeah i find it amusing that as fans, the majority of people are so quick to label him a dumbass instead of having any semblance of thought towards
    "MAYBE this is associated with mental illness." Depression would make a lot of sense. Ah, good ole America. Nice to know mental illness isnt dismissed at all
    I agree. Mental illness is no joke, and self medicating with such things as drugs and/or alcohol is very common. People tend to forget that the brain is a living organ just like the heart and can malfunction as well. I have grown up around mental illness and was almost not even born because my own dad attempted suicide when he was young.

That being said, I can't help but be very skeptical of Bryant's true excuse for failing more tests.
    http://pic70.picturetrail.com/VOL1850/7714131/15251346/321617073.jpg

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

Maybe Martavis was depressed because reefer is illegal in the NFL?

Seriously though even with the guys in the program, I really don't see why the league tests them for recreational drugs out of season? What business is it of the league's what they do from the last game of the season until training camp opens?
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

Original Member Array title="steelerdude15 has a brilliant future"> steelerdude15's Avatar

I'm waiting to make my own judgement on this until we receive more information.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Martavis Bryant wasting colossal talent, leaves Steelers scrambling

Jeremy Fowler
    ESPN Staff Writer

At his locker in December, Martavis Bryant rose from his seat, his lanky frame unfolding like an accordion, and spoke softly but excitedly about his daughters getting snow at Christmas for the first time. He sounded like a guy who wanted to make a home in Pittsburgh. You wanted to believe it.

That’s when Bryant was a few months removed from his four-game suspension for multiple failed drug tests, and he seemed to be doing great. But whenever you talk to Bryant, you wonder about the trouble lurking. Can he get his life straightened out?

The Pittsburgh Steelers truly don’t know about that now. No one knows what to expect from Bryant after news of a looming yearlong suspension from the NFL for drug-related reasons. Bryant is appealing the suspension.

The Steelers knew the risks with Bryant when they selected him in the fourth round of the 2014 draft. He was a first-round talent branded with the NFL’s scarlet letter for draft picks: "character concern."

But watching his Lamborghini-like speed and grace on the field makes the inevitable car crash that much harder to watch.

There’s hardly a guarantee Bryant will ever play another down for the Steelers, though from what I’ve gathered, don’t expect the team to cut him. He’s still a valuable commodity if he can clean up his act. They can place him on the reserve/suspended list and hope for the best.

If he is done in Pittsburgh, 17 touchdowns in 23 games isn’t a bad risk-reward for a fourth-rounder. But that’s not the point. Bryant can have so much more. He's got top-10 receiver ability, no question.

Luckily for the Steelers, Bryant's absence won’t break the offense. Not when you have Ben Roethlisberger and Antonio Brown. In free agency, the Steelers quickly signed Darrius Heyward-Bey and tight end Ladarius Green.

This core group of playmakers is still quite strong without him -- Brown, Le'Veon Bell, Markus Wheaton, DeAngelo Williams, Green, Sammie Coates, Heyward-Bey and Jesse James. Bell is an elite pass-catcher who can line up in the slot, and Green is more of a vertical tight end, so although the Steelers will miss Bryant’s raw playmaking, Roethlisberger has more than enough to work with.

Bryant should have been a part of it, though. He’s the classic well-intentioned young player who either doesn’t recognize the damage caused by poor decisions or simply can’t control them.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/po...ers-scrambling

Old School Misfit Array title="silver & black has a reputation beyond repute"> silver & black's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zulater View Post
    Maybe Martavis was depressed because reefer is illegal in the NFL?

Seriously though even with the guys in the program, I really don't see why the league tests them for recreational drugs out of season? What business is it of the league's what they do from the last game of the season until training camp opens?
    Because they are under contract?

Senior Member Array title="lipps83 has a reputation beyond repute"> lipps83's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    This seems more and more like a mental health issue. The dope is a by product.
    Exactly, and people are just ready to throw him away without even trying to help the guy. Obviously there is something much more going on here.

I am kind of disgusted with how some people are reacting to this.

So far it doesn't look like it was marijuana, it was probably something else to help the guy cope with whatever is ailing him mentally. He may not even have known it was a banned substance.

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by silver & black View Post
    Because they are under contract?
    I get it. But if I'm the NFLPA I collectively bargain to get marijuana off the banned substance list. And before anyone starts accusing me of being a pothead. Nope. Not all all. I'm a CDL licensed truck driver who has to submit to random DOT drug testing. And I have no problem with that for myself and people who do what I do for a living. Same goes for police officers, firemen, healthcare workers, soldiers, etc... But athletes out of season? As long as they stay clear of the law who should care? And if they get arrested have guidelines for punishments to fit the offense.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lipps83 View Post
    Exactly, and people are just ready to throw him away without even trying to help the guy. Obviously there is something much more going on here.

I am kind of disgusted with how some people are reacting to this.

So far it doesn't look like it was marijuana, it was probably something else to help the guy cope with whatever is ailing him mentally. He may not even have known it was a banned substance.
    if he is mentally ill , I feel for him and believe they need to direct him to where he can get the help he needs ...

However saying he may not have known whatever it was he was medicating with was banned or not is a poor excuse ..

20 seconds after reading this a quick google search of " complete list of nfl banned substances brought me this as the top result .... https://www.nflpa.com/active-players/drug-policies

Senior Member Array title="lipps83 has a reputation beyond repute"> lipps83's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Secondaryconcerns View Post
    if he is mentally ill , I feel for him and believe they need to direct him to where he can get the help he needs ...

However saying he may not have known whatever it was he was medicating with was banned or not is a poor excuse ..

20 seconds after reading this a quick google search of " complete list of nfl banned substances brought me this as the top result .... https://www.nflpa.com/active-players/drug-policies
    I didn't say it was an excuse, I am just saying if it isn't marijuana he may not have known.

Do you really think he knows what all that is? You think he is a chemistry major or something and checks the ingredients tab every time he does his shopping?

- - - Updated - - -

Pseudoephedrine.

Bitch, I got a cold. What do you want from me?

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

I didn't say it was an excuse, I am just saying if it isn't marijuana he may not have known.

Do you really think he knows what all that is? You think he is a chemistry major or something and checks the ingredients tab every time he does his shopping?

its sort of their job to know

its sort of their job to know
    No it isn't. It is their job to play football. If they don't play because they are suspended they don't get paid.

No it isn't. It is their job to play football. If they don't play because they are suspended they don't get paid.

its not technically your job to drive to work either but you have to get there , to me your job is to do whatever it takes to get on the field if your a ball player ...

fail to do what is necessary or expected and you do not get on the field thus you are not doing your job ...

so while it may not be a job requirement to drive ( or in this case know what you can and can not put in your body ) if those things STOP you from getting on the field then it sort of is all ON YOU .

since he was in ( is in ) the program he had all this shit explained to him in great detail probably more than once

its not technically your job to drive to work either but you have to get there , to me your job is to do whatever it takes to get on the field if your a ball player ...

fail to do what is necessary or expected and you do not get on the field thus you are not doing your job ...

so while it may not be a job requirement to drive ( or in this case know what you can and can not put in your body ) if those things STOP you from getting on the field then it sort of is all ON YOU .

since he was in ( is in ) the program he had all this shit explained to him in great detail probably more than once
    I get you.

Who cares if the dude is depressed and trying to cope, he just cost the steelers a year. The selfish prick.....

Hey, anyone remember that Chiefs player that was depressed and didn't have a way to deal with it? Was he in the program?

I get you.

Who cares if the dude is depressed and trying to cope, he just cost the steelers a year. The selfish prick.....

Hey, anyone remember that Chiefs player that was depressed and didn't have a way to deal with it? Was he in the program?

see my first line in the response to you on that part ..... if he is mentally ill , I feel for him and believe they need to direct him to where he can get the help he needs ...

not trying to be insensitive to his needs if he is fighting depression , but there is a proper way to handle the situation and clearly he was taking an alternative path ( one deemed by the league to be inappropriate )

I hope he gets the help he needs , I hope he is able to get it under control , I also hope he is able to return to play the game ... but I doubt it will be this year and I also doubt it will be in Pittsburgh

see my first line in the response to you on that part ..... if he is mentally ill , I feel for him and believe they need to direct him to where he can get the help he needs ...

not trying to be insensitive to his needs if he is fighting depression , but there is a proper way to handle the situation and clearly he was taking an alternative path ( one deemed by the league to be inappropriate )

I hope he gets the help he needs , I hope he is able to get it under control , I also hope he is able to return to play the game ... but I doubt it will be this year and I also doubt it will be in Pittsburgh
    I know you feel that way, my frustration is not with you, you are just the dude replying to my posts.

It saddens me that 'fans' are so quick to blame and point the finger when the only thing they really know is just that the guy is suspended again. They don't know why, they only assume that they do. There is much more than just marijuana going on here. He isn't Johnny Manziel.

Who, by the way despite his completely wreckless life, has yet to be suspended by the league. Some dude who might actually be trying to cope in his own way with a depression issue, gone for a year.

Fuck you NFL.

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

The guy will have a lifetime of regrets that are only beginning. It's too bad. He beat the odds of making it to the NFL, but he doesn't have the character to achieve.

His goal was to get enough $ to do what he wanted for as far as he can see into the future. He won't need to work for awhile, but he will waste away and never be one of the best WRs in the NFL, even though he has the talent to do so. It's not a priority in his mind, so we should get over it and move on.
    All Defense!

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Working women and men in this country lose their job if they fail their drug test. Bryant has failed his may times, he should be fired too. You want to blame the fans, I blame the FO, the team doctors, psychologist and coaches. I wish him all the best.

No. If he is actually trying to cope with depression, you don't wash your hands of him. YOU have to help him. There are no 3 STRIKES YOUR OUT.

I just can't believe there are so many ignorant people in the world.

And some wonder why some people choose suicide. Because of pieces of shit like some on this board could give a fuck. It's unfortunately the only way some find rest.

There are no games when it comes to depression. Even if he is falling on that explanation as a crutch, you have to see it through and make sure.

Fucking assholes.

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

No. If he is actually trying to cope with depression, you don't wash your hands of him. YOU have to help him. There are no 3 STRIKES YOUR OUT.

And some wonder why some people choose suicide. Because of pieces of shit like some on this board could give a fuck. It's unfortunately the only way some find rest.

There are no games when it comes to depression. Even if he is falling on that explanation as a crutch, you have to see it through and make sure.

Fucking assholes.
    Preach.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    You know, it is possible to be mentally ill and a dumbass at the same time...
    yeaaaaaah. i think you would be well off avoiding depressed people.
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    Working women and men in this country lose their job if they fail their drug test. Bryant has failed his may times, he should be fired too. You want to blame the fans, I blame the FO, the team doctors, psychologist and coaches. I wish him all the best.
    How about we blame Martavis? Just because one suffers from depression doesn't absolve them of all responsibility. I truly sympathize with the man if he indeed suffers from depression. Or even if it's just that he's afflicted by addiction. But in the end as much as you want to try to be your brothers keeper we each have to bear responsibility for our own being.

How about we blame Martavis? Just because one suffers from depression doesn't absolve them of all responsibility. I truly sympathize with the man if he indeed suffers from depression. Or even if it's just that he's afflicted by addiction. But in the end as much as you want to try to be your brothers keeper we each have to bear responsibility for our own being.

Well that's a given, but if Bryant sucked as a player no one would have given a rats ass about him including the FO. Being a great WR is the only reason he wasn't booted.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Well that's a given, but if Bryant sucked as a player no one would have given a rats ass about him including the FO. Being a great WR is the only reason he wasn't booted.
    Exactly. Look how quickly Sweed became a pariah.

I know you aren't speaking for me, are you?

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

Haha... Typical pro athlete of today. Get rid of the sack of shit.
    Hater = Realist

I know you aren't speaking for me, are you?
    If you know I'm not speaking to you why are you asking?

Fucking assholes.
    Judgemental much? A bit of the pot calling the kettle black here no? They judge him and you judge them!

Give it day or two find out what can be found out and see where it goes.

- - - Updated - - -

No doubt.

Judgemental much? A bit of the pot calling the kettle black here no? They judge him and you judge them!

Give it day or two find out what can be found out and see where it goes.
    Damn right and I would do it all again.

Senior Member Array title="Bluecoat96 has a reputation beyond repute"> Bluecoat96's Avatar

http://dkpittsburghsports.com/2016/0...d-doom-bryant/

If this is the reason, I'll be interested to see how things play out.
    http://pic70.picturetrail.com/VOL1850/7714131/15251346/321617073.jpg