Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Report: Steelers Interested In Lions Free Agent DE Jason Jones

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Report: Steelers Interested In Lions Free Agent DE Jason Jones

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Re: Report: Steelers Interested In Lions Free Agent DE Jason Jones

3 teams in 8 seasons? I wonder why.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

that would eliminate the need to draft a DE/situational edge pass rusher like Carl Nassib, Shaq Lawson, Kevin Dodd etc.

we would still be looking for a big ugly NT/DT type though...

Senior Member Array title="salamander has a reputation beyond repute">

I honestly don't know much about him.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

He plays on the Dline but an article I just read says we would probably use him at OLB in our system. I really don't know him either.

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

http://www.nfl.com/player/jasonjones/2507473/profile

- - - Updated - - -

His best game in his career was against the steelers in 2008 with the Titans(3.5 sacks in this game)

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    He plays on the Dline but an article I just read says we would probably use him at OLB in our system. I really don't know him either.
    Colbert was quoted earlier that we would be possibly in the market for 4-3 DE types:

Changes On Defense Could Lead To Changes In How Steelers Build Roster

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2016/02...-build-roster/

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    Colbert was quoted earlier that we would be possibly in the market for 4-3 DE types:

Changes On Defense Could Lead To Changes In How Steelers Build Roster

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2016/02...-build-roster/

It makes sense. They have been playing more 4-3, particularly on third down or passing downs to maximize pass rush. Even if you play a base 3-4 defense, with the new rules putting the focus on the passing game, the ability to effectively rush the quarterback with as few people as possible is the objective. If you can find a way to consistently pressure the quarterback rushing four, you put your defense in a position to succeed by getting sacks, getting off the field on third down, and pressuring the quarterback into bad throws that lead to incompletions and interceptions.

This has been coming, and I have been saying that they have been moving more towards a flex defense that can play both 3-4 and 4-3 for situational football. A 4-3 defensive end that can play with his hand on the ground would be a great fit as a situational pass rusher on obvious passing downs and third downs.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

I honestly don't see how this guy would do shit for us.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

If there ever was a year to use two draft picks on D-lineman, this is the year.

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

he seems like a pretty middling OLB in our system from what ive read. do we really need more of that? We already have Moats and Jones filling that quota...and Harrison will be the oldest defensive player in the league if he decides to play. And Its not like we know Dupree is going to emerge yet.

i hate that we draft so many OLB's early, but this is one year where i honestly would be in favor of it. Signing a guy like this will just be a lateral move at best. Shaq Lawson and Shaquile Calhoun sound like good targets to me. Maybe even Kevin Dodd, who everyone seems high on even though im a bit skeptical.

im pulling the trigger basically no matter who is there if Noah Spence is at 25.
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Makes sense since we're a 4-3 now. no longer a 3-4 base defense.
    1. Graham Barton, C, Duke 2. Ricky Pearsall, WR, Florida 3. Maason Smith, DT, LSU 3. Max Melton, CB, Rutgers 4. Blake Fisher, OT, Notre Dame 6. Tommy Eichenberg, ILB, Ohio State 6. MJ Devonshire, CB, Pittsburgh

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    If there ever was a year to use two draft picks on D-lineman, this is the year.
    Agreed, players like Carl Nassip & Sheldon Day are two players who I believe would fit nicely who can be found in rounds 3 & 4.

This also opens the door for a player like Kevin Dodd in round 1.
    1. Graham Barton, C, Duke 2. Ricky Pearsall, WR, Florida 3. Maason Smith, DT, LSU 3. Max Melton, CB, Rutgers 4. Blake Fisher, OT, Notre Dame 6. Tommy Eichenberg, ILB, Ohio State 6. MJ Devonshire, CB, Pittsburgh

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post
    Makes sense since we're a 4-3 now. no longer a 3-4 base defense.
    I would say we're more like a 2-4-5 base defense for lack of a decent third lineman, and for the same reason we have no depth in front. We have OK outside linebackers, but they have trouble getting pressure consistently because there are only two effective linemen. Some 4-3 DE/LB tweener bullshit with a guy who doesn't really rush the passer effectively isn't going to help with either of those things. You've done well in free agency so far; PLEASE don't lose focus and make some dumbass Cam Thomas-type signing that does nothing but eat cap space.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    And those are usually the ones the Steelers pick out of Free Agency that wind up being the best...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    And those are usually the ones the Steelers pick out of Free Agency that wind up being the best...
    I just want to win, man. I don't care who we get it done with. Not complete lack of loyalty, don't get me wrong, only that we are so close. Whoever that last piece of the puzzle is, let's go get him. I remember what that scumbag Darren Sharper did for the Saints during their run. That trophy is still just as shiny in N.O.

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    I honestly don't see how this guy would do shit for us.
    Jones has 28 career sacks...

*waiting patiently for the re-signing of McLendon & hopefully Beachum*

Jones would be a nice addition, maybe something gets done.

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

I would rather have McClendon back with 2 DL draft picks early.

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

If we had kept Howard Jones and/or Shaquil Barrett, we wouldnt even have this thread right now. everyone strikes out once in a while, but twice in the same offseason at the same position? hard to swallow
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    Jones has 28 career sacks...
    ... yeah, in 8 years. I'm pretty sure that given almost a decade to do it, you or I could get 80 pounds fatter and record roughly the same number of sacks simply by being on the field and winding up in the right place at the right time.

I haven't heard anything about this guy being dominant or merely good, or even the unsung guy who does a lot of dirty work that helps teammates get the stats. I just don't see what he offers that's better than any of the guys we already have, or worth spending extra money on.

*waiting patiently for the re-signing of McLendon & hopefully Beachum*
    Beachum would be nice to have, if a deal leaves us with enough money that we can still bring in one more important piece (e.g. DL/DB). If it keeps us from doing that, I'd rather sign the DL/DB since we already have three other guys who can play LT with varying degrees of success.

McLendon I'd just as soon cut loose and move on. He'd be good for rotational DL depth, but that's not how we'd use him; he'll always be a not-good-enough NT that we give way too big of a role to.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

McLendon is a good NT, believe teams averaged just 2 yards per carry when he's on the field. Has been like that since he took over the NT spot.

He also played some DE last year, it's smart to bring him back.

McLendon is a good NT, believe teams averaged just 2 yards per carry when he's on the field. Has been like that since he took over the NT spot.

He also played some DE last year, it's smart to bring him back.

Every year that run defense stat gets trotted out, and every year McLendon remains a very limited, non-disruptive NT. He would be a good 4-3 DT, but in a pressure-oriented 3-4 defense like ours, a nose tackle whose only skill is defending the run has very little use. No, the nose tackle does not need to get 10 sacks. Yes, the nose tackle does need to disrupt the pocket, open lanes for other guys, and overall mess up the play. McLendon doesn't do any of that and needs to be replaced.

When I saw him and/or Cam Thomas subbing in for our starting DEs, teams tended to march the ball right down the field on us. So I'm not terribly excited about that either. Basically he's just a seat-filler on our roster.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

The team is in his base defense(4-3) about 70% of the time, McLendon isn't going to get many chances to get after the passer, Imo, he's shown enough in that department, but isn't asked to do that(as I said, not many opportunities).

Fact of the matter is, he needs to be brought back. He's not great, but gets the job done. Can't have pro bowlers at every position.

Teams run right at Cam Thomas when he's on the field. Not McLendon's fault Thomas can't hold his on.

On what planet made entirely of crack cocaine do we use a 4-3 defense 70% of the time? The majority was 3-4 or a nickel sub package, and the nickel formations sure as hell weren't a 4-2-5. Unless you're counting times when we're playing in a 3-4 or a nickel and one or more of the LBs lines up as a telegraphed pass rusher, I've only seen us use a 4-3 front occasionally.

There's no arguing that McLendon is on the field a lot, but most of the time it's as a liability, not a strength. We don't ask him to rush the passer (because he couldn't even if we did ask), but we need someone who can cause disruption there, not just a warm body. It is one of the most crucial positions of the entire defense.

No, you can't have Pro Bowlers at every position, but you need one at NT if you want to run a 3-4 defense and be, you know ... good. That's what allows you to get by with Larry Foote type linebackers and William Gay type DBs. Play a 3-4 with no nose tackle, and they get exposed like last season. There's a reason why we used so many unorthodox sub packages with only Heyward and Tuitt as down linemen. It's getting your best players on the field, and McLendon isn't one of them. I sure as hell hope that position is in our draft plans this year, and the moves we've made (including not bringing back McLendon so far) have me hopeful it finally is.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Not sure if he/she is a troll or, being dead serious...

@jimwexell 17 hrs17 hours ago
    Lol. It's still so hard for Steelers fans to wrap their heads around the fact they're a 4-3 team.

Not sure if he/she is a troll or, being dead serious...
    @jimwexell 17 hrs17 hours ago
    Lol. It's still so hard for Steelers fans to wrap their heads around the fact they're a 4-3 team.
    I mean ... I don't know what to tell you, except sorry, dude, that's not what it is. Sorry to Wexell too if he's also going blind.

Having Tuitt, McLendon and Heyward, plus Dupree lined up with his hand on the ground, does not count as a "4-3." It's a 3-4 where you're telegraphing which linebacker is rushing. We've been trying that in various ineffective forms for years. That was the LeBeau sit-back and now Butler's conservative variant.

Us: "Here are the four guys who are going to rush straight-up, now line up and beat us."

Opponent: "lol, okay, thanks!"

Again, it's not a 4-3, just a lazy/ineffective 3-4.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

It was effective when you had dominant OLB that could beat their match-up off the line (Harrison and young Woodley). Lacking those edge rushers, it is pretty sucky.

Which I is why I wouldn't be shocked to see the first draft pick be some sort of edge defender.

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    I mean ... I don't know what to tell you, except sorry, dude, that's not what it is. Sorry to Wexell too if he's also going blind.

Having Tuitt, McLendon and Heyward, plus Dupree lined up with his hand on the ground, does not count as a "4-3." It's a 3-4 where you're telegraphing which linebacker is rushing. We've been trying that in various ineffective forms for years. That was the LeBeau sit-back and now Butler's conservative variant.

Us: "Here are the four guys who are going to rush straight-up, now line up and beat us."

Opponent: "lol, okay, thanks!"

Again, it's not a 4-3, just a lazy/ineffective 3-4.
    Troll confirmed.

Use Google kiddo. Learn your team. It's a fact the Steelers use their nickel package 70% of the time(which doesn't include a nose tackle(McLendon), since it's a scheme to use a 5th defensive back, which is needed in today's NFL where teams spread offense's out)