Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Steelers-by-position: CBs

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Re: Steelers-by-position: CBs

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post
    Really like this years safety class. Hoping either Thompson or Neal are there in round 2
    I would also add Karl Joseph and Vonn Bell to my 2nd round safety wish list...

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    I would also add Karl Joseph and Vonn Bell to my 2nd round safety wish list...
    Agreed, It's be such a Steelers draft if they drafted both Ohio State's players in Apple & Bell in the first two rounds.

I don't think Joseph will be there though, we can hope.
    1. Graham Barton, C, Duke 2. Ricky Pearsall, WR, Florida 3. Maason Smith, DT, LSU 3. Max Melton, CB, Rutgers 4. Blake Fisher, OT, Notre Dame 6. Tommy Eichenberg, ILB, Ohio State 6. MJ Devonshire, CB, Pittsburgh

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

an interesting 7th round CB prospect from Joey Porter's alma mater who was one of the top performers at the Combine:

Tony Pauline
    @TonyPauline

More numbers from Colorado State. Panthers, Steelers, Colts meet with cornerback Deandre Elliott

https://twitter.com/TonyPauline?ref_...Ctwgr%5Eauthor

Steelers Met With CB DeAndre Elliott During Colorado State’s Pro Day

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2016/03...tates-pro-day/

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Agreed, It's be such a Steelers draft if they drafted both Ohio State's players in Apple & Bell in the first two rounds.
    R1: Apple, CB
    R2: Bell, S
    R3: Washington, DT/DE
    R4: Miller, WR/TE/QB

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Free Agent Defensive Back Options Dwindling For Steelers

BY DAVE BRYAN MARCH 18, 2016

With the free agent signing period now entering its second weekend, the list of remaining unsigned players isn’t very appealing when it comes to all of the positions. As far as the Pittsburgh Steelers go, they still have 10 unrestricted free agents who are still looking for work and leading that list is cornerback Brandon Boykin, who the team acquired via a trade with the Philadelphia Eagles during last year’s training camp. Not only is Boykin the Steelers best remaining unrestricted free agent at this time, he’s probably the best defensive back still looking for work league-wide

While most would like to see Boykin return in 2016, that still seems unlikely to happen and especially judging by the comments he made in an interview just prior to the start of free agency. Besides, if Boykin were to be re-signed, one would think that it would have to be for right at or near the league minimum as he wouldn’t likely be a starter in Pittsburgh.

Other than Boykin, Patrick Robinson and Sterling Moore are currently the best remaining free agent cornerbacks as we head into the weekend. While Robinson is starter material, Moore is best-suited for a reserve role. Both are likely worth just a little more than the minimum at this point and they might be interested in two-year contracts with low guaranteed money. The Steelers know both players well as they each were brought in for free agent visits last year at this same time.

As far as free agent safeties go, there really isn’t much left out there at this point and especially when it comes to players who are under the age of 30. In fact, Tony Jefferson is the only intriguing name remaining and he currently is holding a one-year, $1.671 million restricted tender that he received from the Arizona Cardinals. Any offer sheet given to Jefferson by the Steelers would have to be lucrative enough that the Cardinals wouldn’t want to match it. In other words, likely over his market value, so you can almost completely rule Jefferson out as an option.

At this point, the Steelers might be done when it comes to signing free agents unless they can get one or two at the league minimum with decreased salary cap charges on a veteran benefit qualifying contract. After June 1, they might look around to see if any players have been cut, but once again, they will be looking to only spend the minimum.

to read rest of article:

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2016/03...ling-steelers/

James C Wexell ‏@jimwexell

I'm really geeked about a Steelers 1-2 draft punch of Billings and Joseph. The cornerback crowd would be apoplectic!

https://twitter.com/jimwexell?ref_sr...Ctwgr%5Eauthor

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

James C Wexell ‏@jimwexell

I'm really geeked about a Steelers 1-2 draft punch of Billings and Joseph. The cornerback crowd would be apoplectic!

https://twitter.com/jimwexell?ref_sr...Ctwgr%5Eauthor
    I'd be fine with that!

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    I'd be fine with that!
    Me, too.

Those two picks alone would make it an A+ draft (although, I doubt that Joseph lasts until 58).

Senior Member Array title="Cyphon25 is a name known to all">

I'd be happy with Billings and Joseph. I'd be more happy with Alexander and Joseph.

Banned Array title="steelerkitty will become famous soon enough">

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 11h11 hours ago The #Cowboys are hosting FA CB Patrick Robinson tomorrow and Monday, source said.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Me, too.

Those two picks alone would make it an A+ draft (although, I doubt that Joseph lasts until 58).
    Never know, all it takes is a few teams before 25 to shit the bed.

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

Here's my position on Boykin. I think some players practice better than they play and some play better than they practice. I think Boykin falls into the latter category. I also think Tomlin tends to favor the former too much and can get entrenched to the point that even when actual game play contradicts his established position he turns a blind eye to it. Case in point in a limited number of snaps against the 49ers in week 2 Boykin made a fabulous break up of a Kaepernick pass in the end zone. He didn't see the field again for a defensive snap for a month or so. I realize not all the defenses are the same, but they're not as different as NFL coaches would have you think either. If you can play defensive back more than competently for the Eagles for several seasons there's no reason you couldn't do close to the same for the Steelers You're facing the same caliber of qb and passing game here asyou were there.

I tend to be more positive than negative about Tomlin as most of you know. But I think he mishandled Boykin all last year to the detriment of the defense.
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

Quote Originally Posted by zulater View Post
    Here's my position on Boykin. I think some players practice better than they play and some play better than they practice. I think Boykin falls into the latter category. I also think Tomlin tends to favor the former too much and can get entrenched to the point that even when actual game play contradicts his established position he turns a blind eye to it. Case in point in a limited number of snaps against the 49ers in week 2 Boykin made a fabulous break up of a Kaepernick pass in the end zone. He didn't see the field again for a defensive snap for a month or so. I realize not all the defenses are the same, but they're not as different as NFL coaches would have you think either. If you can play defensive back more than competently for the Eagles for several seasons there's no reason you couldn't do close to the same for the Steelers You're facing the same caliber of qb and passing game here asyou were there.

I tend to be more positive than negative about Tomlin as most of you know. But I think he mishandled Boykin all last year to the detriment of the defense.
    I realize as head coach the buck stops with Tomlin.

however, Butler is the defensive coordinator and Lake is the DB coach, didn't they also have some say and input whether or not to play Boykin?

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

I realize as head coach the buck stops with Tomlin.

however, Butler is the defensive coordinator and Lake is the DB coach, didn't they also have some say and input whether or not to play Boykin?
    True. But I think with LeBeau going Tomlin took a little heavier hand to the defense, and overall the results were good. Sacks and forced turnovers were both way up. Anyway maybe I'm wrong but I just got the sense that Tomlin more than Butler or Lake was the one keeping Boykin off the field. Put it this way. With Butler being in his first season as DC I don't think he was going to override the head coach on something like this. And again I'm saying that practice was probably saying he wasn't getting it to the extent he needed. As stated before; I think there's some players who's best foot never comes forward until actual game action occurs. And once Boyin got on the field in games I think it became fairly evident that he more than belonged.
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

Steelers notebook: Cornerback Allen 'still part of plan'

Mark Kaboly | Sunday, March 20, 2016

BOCA RATON, Fla. — The Steelers cornerback situation is still murky, at best.

Cortez Allen can clear that up quickly if he is able to rebound from back-to-back disappointing years since signing a $25 million contract the day before the start of the 2014 season.

General manager Kevin Colbert was non-committal about Allen's role for the upcoming season or even if there will be one.

“Well, you know, we're still trying to determine where he is from a health standpoint,” Colbert said. “We'll make judgments accordingly.”

Allen was placed on injured reserve for the second consecutive season and had knee surgery. Allen lost his starting job two seasons in a row before getting injured.

The Steelers could part ways with Allen with a post-June 1 designation release that would save them $4.4 million in cap space, but will seemingly give him one more chance to prove himself during the preseason.

“Well, right now, he's still part of the plan because he's under contract,” Colbert said. “Is he healthy? We're not sure at this point. We'll determine that a little further down the line. He has a little more time to prove his readiness one way or another.”

http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/...-steelers-free

Senior Member Array title="Cyphon25 is a name known to all">

The only part he should still have is being cut for more cap room to sign some DL depth.

Gerry Dulac ‏@gerrydulac Mar 20

Colbert: "Can’t say we’ll take a cornerback first, second or third. But there are enough that we should be able to get one.”

Kevin Colbert and Mike Tomlin "been tracking" top CBs in draft and attending their pro days. Visit Houston's William Jackson III this week

https://twitter.com/gerrydulac

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

On NFL Redzone last weekend they showed a play from the SF game. Our DBs got toasted over the middle for a score. Our guy who missed the tackle wore #20, who was that? Who wears #20 for us?

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    On NFL Redzone last weekend they showed a play from the SF game. Our DBs got toasted over the middle for a score. Our guy who missed the tackle wore #20, who was that? Who wears #20 for us?
    Will Allen.....

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Well, Will Allen missed what should have been an easy tackle and the WR went for a score.

Really like this years safety class. Hoping either Thompson or Neal are there in round 2
    I've seen a couple of mocks that had us selecting Keanu Neal with our 1st round pick and a lot of others that had Neal going to Arizona at 1(29).

as for Thompson, a lot will depend on his 40 time he runs on his Pro Day at the end of this month. if he doesn't improve his Comnine time he should still be available at 2(58) but do we want a safety that runs a 4.70?

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

I've seen a couple of mocks that had us selecting Keanu Neal with our 1st round pick and a lot of others that had Neal going to Arizona at 1(29).

as for Thompson, a lot will depend on his 40 time he runs on his Pro Day at the end of this month. if he doesn't improve his Comnine time he should still be available at 2(58) but do we want a safety that runs a 4.70?
    I'm a big fan of Neal, not sure he'd be the BPA at #25 though.

Agreed on Thompson. Hopefully he runs in the 4.5's.
    1. Graham Barton, C, Duke 2. Ricky Pearsall, WR, Florida 3. Maason Smith, DT, LSU 3. Max Melton, CB, Rutgers 4. Blake Fisher, OT, Notre Dame 6. Tommy Eichenberg, ILB, Ohio State 6. MJ Devonshire, CB, Pittsburgh

Study: What Pittsburgh Looks For In Drafting Cornerbacks

BY ALEX KOZORA MARCH 22, 2016

We are continuing our series on examining the Pittsburgh Steelers’ draft history to try and predict who might meet their measurable and athletic criteria for 2016. We’ve covered receivers and both line groups. Today, we’ll move onto cornerbacks:

to read rest of article:

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2016/03...g-cornerbacks/

I'm a big fan of Neal, not sure he'd be the BPA at #25 though.
    Pittsburgh Steelers:

3/22: "I've been told for the past week Keanu Neal is still in the conversation as the first-round pick for the Pittsburgh Steelers, who had defensive back coach Carnell Lake on hand today." - Tony Pauline, WalterFootball.com

http://walterfootball.com/nflrumors/...DSlAm2rDE4F.99

Pittsburgh Steelers:

3/22: "I've been told for the past week Keanu Neal is still in the conversation as the first-round pick for the Pittsburgh Steelers, who had defensive back coach Carnell Lake on hand today." - Tony Pauline, WalterFootball.com

http://walterfootball.com/nflrumors/...DSlAm2rDE4F.99
    Neal is probably my 2nd favorite prospect behind Billings, So if Billings isn't there I'd be happy if Neal was the pick at #25.

Billings
    Neal
    Alexander
    Jackson III

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

There should be at least one safety available in R2 with a real chance of being an impact player. Not sure if I would take any of those in R1 though. There are so many usual top-15 DL prospects that it'd be hard to argue against one of them. Unless Alexander falls to 25 at CB, but I find that pretty unlikely.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

has there been any indication that we like Karl Joseph yet?
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Ward 86 View Post
    has there been any indication that we like Karl Joseph yet?
    Not yet, but I'm sure they know about him(Tomlin is a Virginia native). He's still recovering from his ACL injury, One heck of a talent though,