Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steelers Draft History: Mike Adams is the biggest bust of the last 10 years

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Steelers Draft History: Mike Adams is the biggest bust of the last 10 years

If you look back over the past decade, the Pittsburgh Steelers have acquitted themselves quite well in the early rounds of the NFL Draft. General Manager Kevin Colbert and his staff might have their shortcomings when it comes to drafting mid to late-round defensive backs, but for the most part, their skill for scouting the rest of the positions, especially in the early rounds seem to be well above average. Here are the Steelers first and second-round picks over the last 10 drafts.

2015-Bud Dupree, linebacker; Senquez Golson, cornerback

2014-Ryan Shazier, linebacker; Stephon Tuitt, defensive end

2013-Jarvis Jones, linebacker, Le’Veon Bell, running back

2012-David DeCastro, guard; Mike Adams, offensive tackle

2011-Cameron Heyward, defensive end; Marcus Gilbert, offensive tackle

2010-Maurkice Pouncey, center; Jason Worilds, linebacker

2009- Evander Hood, defensive end; Kraig Urbik, guard

2008-Rashard Mendenhall, running back; Limas Sweed, wide receiver

2007-Lawrence Timmons, linebacker; LaMarr Woodley, linebacker

2006-Santonio Holmes, wide receiver; No second-round pick

Just going over this list, there are multiple guys we could give the honor as the biggest bust of the past decade. However, it is more than just bring a player that didn’t work out. A case could be made for running back Rashard Mendenhall. Even though he didn’t have a terrible career, his problems with fumbling, including in the Steelers Super Bowl loss to the Green Bay Packers, makes him a hated figure in Pittsburgh.

read more

http://steelerswire.usatoday.com/201...last-10-years/

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Re: Steelers Draft History: Mike Adams is the biggest bust of the last 10 years

Sweed... it is 100% Sweed.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    I was just going to post and say the exact same thing...

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

Agreed. Sweed did nothing in his whole career in the NFL. At least Adams has had some good moments and he's not done yet.
    I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play!- Jack Lambert

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Ziggy Hood has them both beat. Not only did he suck, we kept running him out there 16 games a year for five years because we didn't want to admit the #1 draft pick was a bust.

Sweed's and Adams' problem was that they didn't contribute anything positive and ended up riding the bench. Hood actually played the whole time and made the defense WORSE for several seasons.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Urbik a bigger Steelers bust than Adams ( do not believe he ever played a snap in B&G ) went on to play elsewhere though

1 at a time Array title="Count Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Count Steeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Secondaryconcerns View Post
    Urbik a bigger Steelers bust than Adams ( do not believe he ever played a snap in B&G ) went on to play elsewhere though
    That's when the Steelers were in their OLine denial phase. He did go on to Buffalo and he plays well. Not sure why they drafted Urbik and didn't really give him a chance. I think that was Kugler's gem.

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

2008 & 2009 drafts were bad and should be erased from history.
    All Defense!

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ALLD View Post
    2008 & 2009 drafts were bad and should be erased from history.

Well, since not a single player from either year is still on the team, they basically have been.

I guess you could argue that Shamarko Thomas is really Ryan Mundy in disguise, and you might be right, but other than that, it's all lost in the void.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Ziggy Hood is #1. Mendenhall is #2. Urbik, Sweed tied for #3. Adams #4. Hated all of those picks from the get go except for the Sweed pick. I liked that pick...a lot...lol.

“10 years from now, we’re going to say Limas Sweed was the most productive and most talented WR in the 2008 NFL Draft class.” -- ESPN Analyst Todd McShay.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    I was just going to post and say the exact same thing...

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerFanInStl View Post
    Agreed. Sweed did nothing in his whole career in the NFL. At least Adams has had some good moments and he's not done yet.
    Buncha haters...

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    Buncha haters...

You know what it is about Sweed that makes him such a bust: I thought he was going to be GREAT. When the pick was made, I cheered.

Here's how much I liked the pick: if we were to go back in a time machine, I would still draft him.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

You know what it is about Sweed that makes him such a bust: I thought he was going to be GREAT. When the pick was made, I cheered.

Here's how much I liked the pick: if we were to go back in a time machine, I would still draft him.
    my favorite Sweed moment:

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

I remember Hines doing everything he could to bolster Sweed's confidence. I too was psyched when he was drafted.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

I think almost everyone thought that. It just goes to show how serious mental aspects can be.

I still don't understand how each and every NFL team does not employ and mandate mental health counselors. I mean look at how expensive these players are as investments for the team. And they leave their nutrition and mental health to chance? That is controllable variables.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Agree...thought the pick was a perfect one.

His only moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    I think almost everyone thought that. It just goes to show how serious mental aspects can be.

I still don't understand how each and every NFL team does not employ and mandate mental health counselors. I mean look at how expensive these players are as investments for the team. And they leave their nutrition and mental health to chance? That is controllable variables.
    In the 90s, the Niners did indeed employ a full-time psychologist.

And, in the Steelers' defense, they paid for/sent Sweed to a year of counseling. They were as patient & caring with him, as they were with Spence.

More to your point... Yes, every team should have a full-time psychologist employed.

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

In the 90s, the Niners did indeed employ a full-time psychologist.

And, in the Steelers' defense, they paid for/sent Sweed to a year of counseling. They were as patient & caring with him, as they were with Spence.

More to your point... Yes, every team should have a full-time psychologist employed.
    A Bob Rotella of football?!

Steelers fan, circa 1985 Array title="BigNastyDefense is a name known to all"> BigNastyDefense's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post

First, most teams have a nutritionist. The thing is, you can't force a guy to follow a regimented diet. I mean you can try, fine players for being overweight, PUP list, threatening to release a player who cannot maintain a healthy playing weight. But in the end, that's all up to the player to do what they need to do.

As for the mental health aspect, I'm sure most teams would gladly pay for a player to see a psychologist if the player needed it. But you have to remember that athletes are some of the most prideful people on the planet, and talking about your problems (be it anything - concentration, depression, personal problems, marital problems) they feel makes them look weak. You can mandate that a player goes to one, but that doesn't mean that they have to open up to the psychologist and actually get to the root of whatever the issue is.

Look at Shane Ray. Missouri would have gotten him the help he needed and the anti-anxiety medication he needed...but he didn't want to do that and chose to smoke pot instead, causing him to fall out of the first half of the first round of the draft (and if the Broncos didn't take him probably out of the first round completely).

RIP Marianne "HTG" - You'll Always Be With Us
    Follow me on Twitter @Blue_Collar_Guy

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BigNastyDefense View Post
    First, most teams have a nutritionist. The thing is, you can't force a guy to follow a regimented diet. I mean you can try, fine players for being overweight, PUP list, threatening to release a player who cannot maintain a healthy playing weight. But in the end, that's all up to the player to do what they need to do.

As for the mental health aspect, I'm sure most teams would gladly pay for a player to see a psychologist if the player needed it. But you have to remember that athletes are some of the most prideful people on the planet, and talking about your problems (be it anything - concentration, depression, personal problems, marital problems) they feel makes them look weak. You can mandate that a player goes to one, but that doesn't mean that they have to open up to the psychologist and actually get to the root of whatever the issue is.

Look at Shane Ray. Missouri would have gotten him the help he needed and the anti-anxiety medication he needed...but he didn't want to do that and chose to smoke pot instead, causing him to fall out of the first half of the first round of the draft (and if the Broncos didn't take him probably out of the first round completely).
    But that is my point. These are young men that will not be asking for help. If you create an open environment with innovative health options/alternatives, you would likely see players take advantage of it. The article from earlier this year about Shaq Barrett being fat and teams not wanting to draft him. Then the Broncos did because they know they have nutritional and lifestyle programs in place that are above and beyond other teams methods. Look what happened there.

Just keeping up the traditional and mythology that it is a tough mans game and just to take salt tablet and suck it up is goofy. I get that you can't force guys to do things, but you can build more into the existing programs. If their was a nutrionist and chef on staff, does anyone think Eddie Lacy would weight 280 pounds?

Steelers Mike Munchak Updates Status Of T Mike Adams

BY DAVE BRYAN APRIL 30, 2016

Pittsburgh Steelers tackle Mike Adams has had a rough professional career since being selected in the second round of the 2012 NFL Draft and now that the team has drafted former LSU tackle Jerald Hawkins in the fourth round of this year’s draft, the former Ohio state product’s time remaining in Pittsburgh figures to be short.

While Adams did miss the entire 2015 season with a back injury, Steelers offensive line coach Mike Munchak gave every indication Saturday afternoon that he’s now healthy enough to compete for his roster spot this year during the team’s OTA sessions and training camp.

“He’s working with the players,” said Munchak of Adams. “We’ll see how he develops. Any time with injuries, there’s always uncertainty, but we missed him last year. Hopefully he will be contributing this year.”

Even though the Steelers did lose tackle Kelvin Beachum to the Jacksonville Jaguars during free agency this offseason, they quickly replaced him with former Denver Broncos veteran tackle Ryan Harris. Harris figures to compete with Alejandro Villanueva for the starting left tackle spot this offseason with the loser of that battle serving as the team’s swing tackle. When asked if he knows who will open up training camp as the starter at left tackle, Munchak refused to commit to either Villanueva or Harris.

“I don’t think we’ve even discussed that yet,” said Munchak. “Obviously Villanueva is the one that’s most familiar with the position coming in. That won’t mean a whole lot. Harris is new to the offense. He just got a Super Bowl ring so he brings a lot of experience to the room also.

“We have a lot of good problems to have. We’re going to have some good competition. Ultimately that will make our offensive line even better. Right now, no we haven’t discussed any of those things as far as who’s going to be where. It’s just a matter of getting him in here, starting OTA’s and seeing where it goes.”

As for Adams, he not only now needs to beat out Hawkins this year during training camp, he also must hope that the team ultimately decides to keep four tackle-types on their final 53-man roster this year. Being as the team now has a fourth-round draft pick invested in Hawkins, he really would have to have a tough offseason to wind up not making the final cut.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2016/04...-t-mike-adams/

If I were Adams, I'd be spending a lot of time trying to learn how to also play guard, or practicing long snapping ...
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Limas Stone Hands worse than Adams

Senior Member Array title="lipps83 has a reputation beyond repute"> lipps83's Avatar

I will never say Sweed was a bust due his wrist injury. His last year at Texas he blew out his wrist, then needing surgery. You need your wrist to catch, and I think his wrist positioning may have been thrown off from the injury and subsequent surgery.

Same with Deion Figures (shot in knee) and Chad Scott (blew knee out). With severe joint injuries, I don't care how the surgery goes or how well you rehab, you are never (ever) 100% exactly the same as before. You can only be close.

Injuries like those, the player can't do anything about. It isn't poor preparation or lack of effort.

So, they get a pass from me.

Super Moderator and Lone hawks fan Array title="Devilsdancefloor has a reputation beyond repute"> Devilsdancefloor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Secondaryconcerns View Post
    Urbik was not a bust the front office tried to sneak him on the PS and Buffalo jumped on him in fact I believe they made him a june 1st cut

For those i love i will sacrifice.

Si ventus non est, remiga

Again, there are bigger busts that Sweed or Adams. The biggest busts are not the guys who sit on the bench. They're the guys who play a lot and suck, so they actually make the team WORSE. No one in recent memory comes close to Ziggy Hood for that. Maybe Jarvis Jones. Most players who aren't #1 picks, they have the sense to get them the hell out of there after a few games like that.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="lipps83 has a reputation beyond repute"> lipps83's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    Again, there are bigger busts that Sweed or Adams. The biggest busts are not the guys who sit on the bench. They're the guys who play a lot and suck, so they actually make the team WORSE. No one in recent memory comes close to Ziggy Hood for that. Maybe Jarvis Jones. Most players who aren't #1 picks, they have the sense to get them the hell out of there after a few games like that.
    It would be close between Hood and Jones for who was worse. Hood used to get blown out of the play right off the line. He was for sure a target. Jones doesn't get pushed back as much as Hood did, but then again Jones doesn't even appear to be able to go forward effectively either. Hood at least got behind the line and was able to interrupt the flow of the play sometimes, Jones is just kind of there.

Senior Member Array title="JayC is a glorious beacon of light"> JayC's Avatar

2008/2009 wow that is difficult to look at

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

The biggest bust of the last 10 years doesn't do a good job against JJ Watt, the best defensive player of the last 10 years.

Adams has seen the field, and has done well at times. He has also been injured a lot, and still on the roster with a chance to contribute.