Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Goodell wants two personal fouls to equal an ejection

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Re: Goodell wants two personal fouls to equal an ejection

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerFanInStl View Post
    Talib should've been suspended for that facemask.
    I think there may be a good chance he does get suspended.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

The whole issue really comes down to the fact that the officials don't do their jobs. They're the ones responsible for keeping the players under control and they don't do it. All of the excessive shit that goes on after the whistle needs to be stopped by the officials. Instead, they just let it boil until it gets out of control.
    No. They're not. The players are responsible for themselves, and when that doesn't work, coaches and teammates are the ones responsible for keeping them under control.

The refs' job is simply to determine whether a penalty has or has not happened. Not to babysit grown children.

Quote Originally Posted by zulater View Post
    Nailed it!

Just use common sense. If someone is clearly out there spoiling for trouble give him one warning and then toss them the second time.
    The problem is who's common sense are you going to trust? I guarantee the first time a Steelers player gets tossed under this kind of rule, this board will see a squared-score of posts yelling and screaming "Da reFS CHEETED uS!

Personally, I'm all for giving penalties a little more teeth, but I also want it to be circumspect. Change all the Unsportsmanlike conducts into personal fouls, and then use the Unsportsmanlike Conduct as an escalator penalty—if the personal foul looks deliberate, escalate it to Unsportsmanlike Conduct. A second escalation and the person is kicked out.

This way, any call is made according to the penalty received, rather than the ref going over and warning a player whenever they feel like it.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    No. They're not. The players are responsible for themselves, and when that doesn't work, coaches and teammates are the ones responsible for keeping them under control.

The refs' job is simply to determine whether a penalty has or has not happened. Not to babysit grown children.
    So the officials bear absolutely no responsibility whatsoever for keeping order on the field? Gotta disagree, especially considering all the whining and crying about Porter being on the field...

The problem is who's common sense are you going to trust? I guarantee the first time a Steelers player gets tossed under this kind of rule, this board will see a squared-score of posts yelling and screaming "Da reFS CHEETED uS!
    No, I'd have no problem with one of our players getting tossed for something like this:

or this (21 seconds in):

Funny how Burfict always seems to be right in the middle of it when a huge fight breaks out. Just a coincidence, I'm sure.

Like I said earlier in the thread, toss the shitstirring troublemaker(s) early (one in particular in the latter 2 Steelers/Bengals games), and watch how quickly things calm down...

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

Wrong. The officials are the authority figures on the field. It's their responsibility to keep things under control and safe for all players. If talking to the player doesn't work, then you throw a flag on him for unsportsmanlike conduct. If that's not enough, then you throw him out of the game.
    I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play!- Jack Lambert

Wrong. The officials are the authority figures on the field. It's their responsibility to keep things under control and safe for all players. If talking to the player doesn't work, then you throw a flag on him for unsportsmanlike conduct. If that's not enough, then you throw him out of the game.
    No, they're not. They're simply the enforcers of a rule. The authority figures are the coaches. They're the ones who play or sit players. They're the ones who decide whether a player's actions are a plus or minus to the team's overall game. They're the ones who are responsible for controlling their players. Ultimately, they, along with the rest of managment, are the ones who determine whether the player stays on the team. Thus, the coaches are the authority figures. That is why Sean Peyton was held responsible for the supposed bounties. It is why so many on this board screamed for Belicheat to be punished for Brady's deflated balls.

I actually find it humorous in a sad way that people think the refs are responsible for keeping things under control. What's the ref going to do when there's 22 players on the field and they can see what, maybe 30-35 percent of the game because of the speed and size of the players? No. There's a reason coaches who have little control over their teams, watch their teams self-destruct every year, and coaches who have good control over their teams rise above the crowd almost every year. Despite what we think about Belicheat, he controls his team. Tomlin controls his team. Cowher controlled his team. On the other hand, Simply look at the Browns and Bengals.

As a side note, check the rule book for the job of each official. No where is it mentioned they are responsible for keeping control over the game when it comes to player attitude. They're job is to flag plays outside the rulebook.

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    So the officials bear absolutely no responsibility whatsoever for keeping order on the field? Gotta disagree, especially considering all the whining and crying about Porter being on the field...

No, I'd have no problem with one of our players getting tossed for something like this:

or this (21 seconds in):

Funny how Burfict always seems to be right in the middle of it when a huge fight breaks out. Just a coincidence, I'm sure.

Like I said earlier in the thread, toss the shitstirring troublemaker(s) early (one in particular in the latter 2 Steelers/Bengals games), and watch how quickly things calm down...
    I agree.
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

No, they're not. They're simply the enforcers of a rule. The authority figures are the coaches. They're the ones who play or sit players. They're the ones who decide whether a player's actions are a plus or minus to the team's overall game. They're the ones who are responsible for controlling their players. Ultimately, they, along with the rest of managment, are the ones who determine whether the player stays on the team. Thus, the coaches are the authority figures. That is why Sean Peyton was held responsible for the supposed bounties. It is why so many on this board screamed for Belicheat to be punished for Brady's deflated balls.

I actually find it humorous in a sad way that people think the refs are responsible for keeping things under control. What's the ref going to do when there's 22 players on the field and they can see what, maybe 30-35 percent of the game because of the speed and size of the players? No. There's a reason coaches who have little control over their teams, watch their teams self-destruct every year, and coaches who have good control over their teams rise above the crowd almost every year. Despite what we think about Belicheat, he controls his team. Tomlin controls his team. Cowher controlled his team. On the other hand, Simply look at the Browns and Bengals.

As a side note, check the rule book for the job of each official. No where is it mentioned they are responsible for keeping control over the game when it comes to player attitude. They're job is to flag plays outside the rulebook.
    Dean Blandino thinks officials should've done more to stop a battle between Odell Beckham Jr. and Josh Norman from spiraling out of control, even if it meant ejecting both players.

Blandino even called the officials during the game to "remind" them that they could eject players to keep control of the game.

"The crew was doing a really tough job of trying to keep the game under control," Blandino said on NFL Total Access. "They had spoken to both head coaches. They had spoken to the players. There was a point during the game when I did get on the headset to the replay official to remind the referee that, 'You can eject players. You'll have our full support. This thing cannot get out of control.'"
    NFL head of officiating had to remind referee he could eject Odell Beckham Jr.

IMO, the role of a (good) coaching staff and responsible management is to see to it that the player(s) in question doesn't(don't) keep doing it again and again and again (Burfict).

1 at a time Array title="Count Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Count Steeler's Avatar

I know you play hockey as well and you must have been involved in one of those types of games. What has to happen is that the officials go to each bench and talk to the coaches and give out warnings. The coaches then take the reigns on their players.

In both Cincy games, the officials should have called a time out, warned both head coaches and given every one a chance to cool off. The officials are the authority on the field, and when they sense a riot brewing, it is time to take action.

Senior Member Array title="j-d-s is a jewel in the rough">

What happens if a coach gets two flags? Is he then ejected and has call hand playcalling over to someone else?

I remember Jim Harbaugh drawing flags on a regular basis...

Quote Originally Posted by j-d-s View Post
    What happens if a coach gets two flags? Is he then ejected and has call hand playcalling over to someone else?

I remember Jim Harbaugh drawing flags on a regular basis...
    Good question which Goodell didn't even consider, I'm sure...