Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Report: Kelvin Beachum Not Interested In Moving To Guard

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Report: Kelvin Beachum Not Interested In Moving To Guard

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Re: Report: Kelvin Beachum Not Interested In Moving To Guard

Shocking. He doesn't want to single-handedly destroy his market price before FA even starts.

Really nice scoop by Kaboly there. Real hard hitting investigative reporting kinda stuff.

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Shocking. He doesn't want to single-handedly destroy his market price before FA even starts.

Really nice scoop by Kaboly there. Real hard hitting investigative reporting kinda stuff.
    I wont kill Karboly. Tough for a teams beat writer to find fresh angles through the offseason. It does tell you something. For example some free agents in the past have made it known they would bend to fit onto the Steelers plans. Brett Keisel for example turned down free agent offers from other teams in 14 and this year again. He let the Steelers know he was a Steeler or an ex football player. Now I realize the situation isn't quite the same, but still I think this tells you that there's a better chance the Steelers will try to resign Foster now.
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

Can Beachum punt?
    All Defense!

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ALLD View Post
    Can Beachum punt?
    Better yet, can he return punts/kickoffs?

Steeler Nation Rocks !!! Array title="Steelersfan is on a distinguished road"> Steelersfan's Avatar

Can and/or will he play center? If he will, that still leaves my off-season dream to trade Pouncey, Wheaton & Suisham for Aaron Donald alive. Use Pouncy's money to re-sign Beachum and let Donald wreak havoc on Qbs next year.
    Here We Go Pittsburgh
Here We Go

Super Moderator and Lone hawks fan Array title="Devilsdancefloor has a reputation beyond repute"> Devilsdancefloor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Better yet, can he return punts/kickoffs?
    well i bet he can call for a fair catch at the 10. but this is kinda of discouraging i really thought he was a different kind of player, but guess not

For those i love i will sacrifice.

Si ventus non est, remiga

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steelersfan View Post
    Can and/or will he play center? If he will, that still leaves my off-season dream to trade Pouncey, Wheaton & Suisham for Aaron Donald alive. Use Pouncy's money to re-sign Beachum and let Donald wreak havoc on Qbs next year.
    In what world where everyone is on crystal meth is any of that even possible? If we traded Pouncey this year, we'd LOSE cap space from all the dead money.

Not to mention, I don't think anyone'd be too eager to trade a superstar costing them $2 million and change, who they have at a low price for the next three years ... for two guys coming off full-season injuries (including the centerpiece of the deal who missed two of the last three years), who cost a combined $15 million, plus one dime-a-dozen receiver with an expiring contract who'll be looking for a big pay raise? I mean, the Rams suck, but they're not THAT stupid.

And then we're relying on a center who's coming off a severe injury and hasn't got any meaningful experience in the pros at it. There's no guarantee he'd even be better than Wallace. I know it's only a crazy idea, but man, talk about a trade where everybody loses.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Beachum can indeed play OC.

They are not trading Pouncey.

Donald does want out of the Rams organization. Tomlin loved him during the pre-draft process; plus, Donald is a Pittsburgh guy. If the Steelers traded the R1 and R2 picks, they could get him. I'd do it.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

I don't think anything remotely close to that will occur, but you can dream...right...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Beachum can indeed play OC.

They are not trading Pouncey.

Donald does want out of the Rams organization. Tomlin loved him during the pre-draft process; plus, Donald is a Pittsburgh guy. If the Steelers traded the R1 and R2 picks, they could get him. I'd do it.
    What's your source for Donald wanting out of the Rams? I've heard no such thing.

The chance that the Rams would trade him is 0%.
    I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play!- Jack Lambert

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerFanInStl View Post
    What's your source for Donald wanting out of the Rams? I've heard no such thing.
    You know, I saw it being discussed here last week, and honestly just went with it.

Regardless, you're correct: I can't find anything else about it.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    You know, I saw it being discussed here last week, and honestly just went with it.
    if Steelers Professor said it, then it must be true.

if anyone else wrote it, then it's probably wrong...

Bleedin' the B&G Array title="Steelman has much to be proud of"> Steelman's Avatar

Beachum was arguably a top-10 left tackle before his injury...now people want to move him to guard and take less money and then crucify him when he'd rather remain being a damn good left tackle? Funny how that works.

I love the offseason.

If it's with the Steelers or not, I wish him well and I believe he deserves to start at LT for any team. His potential loss is mitigated with the meteoric rise of Big Al.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    if Steelers Professor said it, then it must be true.

if anyone else wrote it, then it's probably wrong...
    Damn, did I miss our latest troll?? I've been on vacation!

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steelman View Post
    Beachum was arguably a top-10 left tackle before his injury...now people want to move him to guard and take less money and then crucify him when he'd rather remain being a damn good left tackle? Funny how that works.

I love the offseason.

If it's with the Steelers or not, I wish him well and I believe he deserves to start at LT for any team. His potential loss is mitigated with the meteoric rise of Big Al.

- - - Updated - - -

Damn, did I miss our latest troll?? I've been on vacation!
    Don't worry. The troll came and went as fast as a hippo farting at a poker game

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    Don't worry. The troll came and went as fast as a hippo farting at a poker game
    .....made it all of 129 posts.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

I love the offseason.

Nobody wants to crucify him, it's just not a good idea to sign him. For a lot of money. Coming off an injury. When we already have another guy who plays the position well for much less.

I don't know where all this "top 10 left tackle" stuff is coming from all of a sudden. He was pretty good, but nowhere near dominant. I know we had a series of shitty LTs before him, but let's not kid ourselves because he looked better by comparison.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

1 at a time Array title="Count Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Count Steeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    Nobody wants to crucify him, it's just not a good idea to sign him. For a lot of money. Coming off an injury. When we already have another guy who plays the position well for much less.

I don't know where all this "top 10 left tackle" stuff is coming from all of a sudden. He was pretty good, but nowhere near dominant. I know we had a series of shitty LTs before him, but let's not kid ourselves because he looked better by comparison.
    Top 10 must be from his agent.

Be interesting to see if Munchak can get anywhere with Adams.

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

I love the offseason.
    it's unreal. Some people talk like players owe their loyalty to this team as there is no business side, as if they have to sacrifice their career arch coming off an injury.

imagine if people talked up this ACL tear as the catastrophe that it is most likely not everytime it happened to one of our other players .

my personal favorite in recent memory is all of the people who got pissed that AB/AB's agent had the audacity to seek a raise last offseason and downplayed his abilities while talking up Sammie Coates
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

Beachum Says Steelers Had To Put Red-Headed Step Child Bengals Back In There Place: http://www.steelersdepot.com/2016/02...ded-stepchild/

Boy im going to miss this guy as a person and as a player when he leaves
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Count Steeler View Post
    Top 10 must be from his agent.
    “Beachum is a top 5 LT just saying,” Steelers tackle Marcus Gilbert posted ...

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2016/01...5-left-tackle/

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

So no direct quote from Beachum?

But let's say Beachum refuses to play. Then what? I say let him walk.
    Hater = Realist

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post
    So no direct quote from Beachum?

But let's say Beachum refuses to play. Then what? I say let him walk.

He's an unrestricted free agent. He's free to negotiate and sign with whoever he likes at the start of the new football year, which occurs sometime in March.
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zulater View Post
    He's an unrestricted free agent. He's free to negotiate and sign with whoever he likes at the start of the new football year, which occurs sometime in March.
    I meant if he refuses to play guard
    Hater = Realist

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Are we all sure that AV is the long term answer at LT? I mean he didn't suck or anything, but it is almost like people forget how darn good Beachum is. Is there a dollar amount below which people would be in favor of resigning Beachum? Or is everyone just comfortable handing the blindside to AV?

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Report: Kelvin Beachum Not Interested In Moving To Guard

I'd feel comfortable paying him the money he deserves. AV was good but Beachum is better. I think the problem will wind up being the Lane Johnson contract...6 year, $63M with $35.5M guaranteed and he's currently a RT. You have to think that Johnson's contract is a starting point either way.

If you use that money on Beachum, what happens to DeCastro, Bell, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="dislocatedday has a reputation beyond repute"> dislocatedday's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    I'd feel comfortable paying him the money he deserves. AV was good but Beachum is better. I think the problem will wind up being the Lane Johnson contract...6 year, $63M with $35.5M guaranteed and he's currently a RT. You have to think that Johnson's contract is a starting point either way.

If you use that money on Beachum, what happens to DeCastro, Bell, etc.
    That is the crux of the question. Signing Beachum to a monster contract like that creates a severe hindrance to signing guys elsewhere. Outside of Fletcher Cox, I am not sure what other young guys the Eagles have for whom they should spend big money to extensions. Lane is probably a good proposition for them to keep long-term based on their team's circumstances.

The Steelers have a different set of circumstances than the Eagles though. I think the Steelers have other guys coming up who are more important than Beachum (just my opinion obviously, others may feel different). I'd much rather see this team spend their money on DeCastro, AB, and LeVeon for contract extensions. I also envision both Tuitt and Shazier as key guys on the defense who will also be the ones to target for extensions in a couple years.

I think all this can work as well going into the future without creating a situation where guys are forced to be cut to comply with the salary cap, which then creates a lot of dead money on the books that affect the team significantly. Timmons huge cap number will go down or go away completely, Heath probably has one more year I am guessing, Cortez Allen will be gone...........and then if you plan on Ben retiring after 4 more seasons that is huge cap space that will be available for the team. Give some of these guys good contracts now, or in the next year or two, with a good signing bonus and then move some of bigger $$$ in base salaries out to later years when Ben is likely no longer counting against the cap.

That might be overly simplified, but I think such a scenario works and also allows this team to keep its core young guys together for many seasons, and still gives them flexibility to fill in pieces elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Are we all sure that AV is the long term answer at LT? I mean he didn't suck or anything, but it is almost like people forget how darn good Beachum is. Is there a dollar amount below which people would be in favor of resigning Beachum? Or is everyone just comfortable handing the blindside to AV?
    I'm comfortable giving it to AV; he did an acceptable to slightly better-than-average job. Most importantly, he did nothing to make me concerned he's going to completely collapse; he held his own. Beachum is good but not dominant.

Looking at it in the perspective of, how much impact does an above-average left tackle make versus a merely average left tackle ... compared to how much impact does an RB like Bell have compared to an average RB ... or how much impact an above-average CB has compared to a guy like Blake ... and it's really a no-brainer where the best use of our limited money is going to be. Left tackle is not it. These are the kinds of decisions you have to make all the time with the salary cap. We're just very fortunate that this time we have a guy behind the starter who we've seen play, and play well in extended action. Usually you don't get that luxury.

I'd want Beachum back if it was for about the same as we could sign Foster, but everyone knows that's never going to happen. He'll command two or three times that, so ... sayonara.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Quote Originally Posted by dislocatedday View Post
    ....and then if you plan on Ben retiring after 4 more seasons that is huge cap space that will be available for the team.
    Not so fast there. When Ben retires, his contract will have been restructured so many times, being the elephant in the room, that we're going to have more problems, not less. He will probably carry a $30 million dead money hit by the end. When Ben retires is the point at which the train goes off the cliff and we have to really clean house, not the point at which things ease up.

The only way out of that that I can see is if, once he's done playing, we extended him an extra year at the veteran minimum and kept him on the roster but not playing, just to spread the cap hit out. Then they'll probably pass a rule against that.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post
    .....made it all of 129 posts.
    ...over 3 days. It usually takes most people, even the most active posters, at least a couple of weeks to rack up that many.

And all but about 2 or 3 of those posts were to argue with somebody regarding some unsubstantiated bullshit he spewed which he obviously made up about things that happened decades ago.

Quite the revisionist historian, he was...