Thread: Really don't expect much change in Steelers secondary for 2015

Senior Member Array title="StillCurtains is a name known to all">

Really don't expect much change in Steelers secondary for 2015

Hello guys,

Being that Cockrell has just signed a one year extension with the Steelers for 2016, this is how I project the corner lineup to look like.

RC-Cockrell
    Slot-Gay
    LC-Blake
    #4-Golson
    #5-Grant

Gay I don't have a problem being re-signed to man the slot. He was this year's best corner and I also think his leadership will be needed for at least one more year.

Blake is an absolute shoe in to re-sign. He has team immunity and absolutely no other team in their right mind will think of taking a look at him.

Boykin- No chance! He was the first at the fascility to clean out his locker. Unfortunately I see him going to New England.

Golson is self explanatory. High draft pick that we have to see what he has.

Grant was here last year which will make him safe and of course Cortez will be gone.

As we all know the Steelers have always treated the corner position as the black sheep of the defense. They have always went with corners that have been here the previous season with a next man up mentality and that won't change this year.

I would actually go after Janoris Jenkins or Trumaine Johnson from the Rams in free agency. I would re-sign Gay, let Blake walk and have Golson and Grant for depth.

Unfortunately our whiffing on the OLB position has put us in a bind. Even if Jarvis turns things around this year, we still don't know if Harrison and Moats will return which will leave us no depth behind Jarvis and Dupree. I would draft the best available OLB in RD.1 I would also consider trying V. Williams @ OLB depending on the status of Moats and Harrison.

I would go with a SS with my next pick. I think Golden can do well in that spot but we need a stud SS to learn the system and compete with Golden for the starting spot as we have no depth.

I would then double dip with DE's for my 3rd and 4th picks. I think a 3rd pick for DE is a good enough high pick to give us production and the 4th pick for depth.

We need depth there to give Hayward and Tuitt a breather. I wiuld then go safety again for my 5th pick.

Banned Array title="SteelersProfessor is an unknown quantity at this point">

Re: Really don't expect much change in Steelers secondary for 2015

There are no excuses except bad coaching and prep on his part if Golson doesn't know his playbook cold going into training camp.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by StillCurtains View Post
    Hello guys,

Being that Cockrell has just signed a one year extension with the Steelers for 2016, this is how I project the corner lineup to look like.

RC-Cockrell
    Slot-Gay
    LC-Blake
    #4-Golson
    #5-Grant
    Albert Einstein's definition of insanity: "Doing the the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

I agree with that.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

@StillCurtains

I agree that Blake WILL be back. Hopefully, Golson starts ahead of him.

In R1, I could see the Steelers improving their pass rush, which would in turn, help the secondary. Most will hate to see an OLB as the first pick, but it is indeed a possibility.

Senior Member Array title="StillCurtains is a name known to all">

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    @StillCurtains

In R1, I could see the Steelers improving their pass rush, which would in turn, help the secondary. Most will hate to see an OLB as the first pick, but it is indeed a possibility.

Yeah, I agree that they should go after an OLB for the first pick. They basically have to. That's why I feel that they should go after CB's Jenkins or Johnson from the Rams in free agency, but that part I KNOW they won't do.

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

Tomlin gave away a 4th round pick for no reason.

- - - Updated - - -

@StillCurtains

There is no way Tomlin will bench Blake. Tomlin has such a keen eye for DB talent.
    Hater = Realist

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post
    Tomlin gave away a 4th round pick for no reason.
    5th round pick. Boykin didn't get enough snaps to make it a 4th round pick.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

I wouldn't be surprised if Gay leaves for one final paycheck in Tennessee.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Go pay for a proven OLB to rush the passer. Three year deal.

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

I don't think you will see an LB of any sort taken early or in FA. Butler philosophy is different. He brings the heat from everywhere not just the edge, as a result we were third in sacks, and they came from almost every defensive position. The secondary and DL depth, for me, is most important.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SteelersProfessor View Post
    Go pay for a proven OLB to rush the passer. Three year deal.
    Such as? http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agen...de-linebacker/

Von Miller will never see the open market. Tamba Hali in his age 33 season? Aldon Smith is an alcoholic. Greenway isn't really a pass rusher.

Upshaw and Zombo have flopped as 3-4 edge rushers. That leaves Bruce Irvin. Who basically every NFL team that wants to improve its pass rush will be chasing. So his price should rise to astronomical levels.

So, do you want to come up with an actual idea - or just nonsense on every thread?

One name on the list if you ignore his off-field troubles (which the Steelers will not) AND the fact that he is coming off a torn Achilles is Junior Galette. But he seems to want to resign with the "Skins - http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/6173/junior-galette

Bottom line, there is very little in the way of pass rush help available on the free agent market - unless guys start getting cut.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post
    I don't think you will see an LB of any sort taken early or in FA. Butler philosophy is different. He brings the heat from everywhere not just the edge, as a result we were third in sacks, and they came from almost every defensive position. The secondary and DL depth, for me, is most important.
    Mike Tomlin has reportedly been focusing a lot of his attention on defensive linemen at Senior Bowl practices this week. it may very well be that we are going to look for a pass rushing interior DL early in this upcoming draft...

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Such as? http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agen...de-linebacker/

Von Miller will never see the open market. Tamba Hali in his age 33 season? Aldon Smith is an alcoholic. Greenway isn't really a pass rusher.

Upshaw and Zombo have flopped as 3-4 edge rushers. That leaves Bruce Irvin. Who basically every NFL team that wants to improve its pass rush will be chasing. So his price should rise to astronomical levels.

So, do you want to come up with an actual idea - or just nonsense on every thread?

One name on the list if you ignore his off-field troubles (which the Steelers will not) AND the fact that he is coming off a torn Achilles is Junior Galette. But he seems to want to resign with the "Skins - http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/6173/junior-galette

Bottom line, there is very little in the way of pass rush help available on the free agent market - unless guys start getting cut.
    Rumors here is that Ware will be cut in Denver. Go get him. Three years.

This team doesn't have two years to HOPE someone pans out. Ben has three years left. The philosophy has to change in regards to free agency while he's here. If they cut Timmons loose (or extend him) and then re-work Ben that's about $18 million in cap room created. More than enough to improve the position AND SIGN Weddle.

But the way they do things has to change.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Rumors here is that Ware will be cut in Denver. Go get him. Three years.

This team doesn't have two years to HOPE someone pans out. Ben has three years left. The philosophy has to change in regards to free agency while he's here. If they cut Timmons loose (or extend him) and then re-work Ben that's about $18 million in cap room created. More than enough to improve the position AND SIGN Weddle.

But the way they do things has to change.
    Perhaps. But that is a ton of "ifs". It all hinges on an edge rusher of Ware's caliber actually being on the market.

It is the same thing every off-season. Stupid Steelers never sign good free agents. We need to improve now so we can win! Yeah!

Then, it has to be pointed out that there were very few, if any, actual impact players at positions of need on the free agent market.

This off-season should be interesting. Lots of dead money came off the books and lots of extensions/restructures will go right back on. Wonder how much wiggle room they will even try and create?

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    Mike Tomlin has reportedly been focusing a lot of his attention on defensive linemen at Senior Bowl practices this week. it may very well be that we are going to look for a pass rushing interior DL early in this upcoming draft...
    Specifically... Vernon Butler, DT, Louisiana Tech

Not a ton of what if's at all. If Ben and Timmons are here they won't play at those cap numbers. Especially Ben, they can whack off about $9 mil of his cap hit simply by handing him a check.

Specifically... Vernon Butler, DT, Louisiana Tech
    yes, he's been a standout at Senior Bowl practices this week.

I may have to put him in Round 2 of my mock draft...

yes, he's been a standout at Senior Bowl practices this week.

I may have to put him in Round 2 of my mock draft...
    From what I'm hearing (which is hyperbole), Butler may now go in the top 20.

From what I'm hearing (which is hyperbole), Butler may now go in the top 20.
    wow, he was a 3rd round prospect not too long ago.

I'll definitely keep my eye on him in the Senior Bowl...

wow, he was a 3rd round prospect not too long ago.

I'll definitely keep my eye on him in the Senior Bowl...
    I always take those "overreactions" with a grain of salt.

After wathing him him this week, everyone is gaga over Butler. But, just last week, (during the NCAA championship game) everyone was gaga over Jarren Reed and A'Shawn Robinson. And, the week before that...

When everything evens out, you're probably correct in your "round 2" grade.

I always take those "overreactions" with a grain of salt.

After wathing him him this week, everyone is gaga over Butler. But, just last week, (during the NCAA championship game) everyone was gaga over Jarren Reed and A'Shawn Robinson. And, the week before that...

When everything evens out, you're probably correct in your "round 2" grade.
    another Rund 2 DT everyone is gaga over right now is Ohio State's Adolphus Washington:

Senior Bowl Practice Report: Day 3

Adolphus Washington was one of the higher rated players here and is showing why...

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2016/01...-report-day-3/

Not a ton of what if's at all. If Ben and Timmons are here they won't play at those cap numbers. Especially Ben, they can whack off about $9 mil of his cap hit simply by handing him a check.
    Guess I should've been clear. The big "If" is Denver parting ways with Ware. I just don't see that happening.

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

They may part ways with him, but he may retire also, he is only in Denver to get a ring at the end of his career remember. One may be enough for him if he gets it, if not, then maybe there is a chance since we should be an odds on favorite. Being in that position opens us up to alot of aging vets who still have something left in the tank for one ring remember.

Quote Originally Posted by Rotorhead View Post
    They may part ways with him, but he may retire also, he is only in Denver to get a ring at the end of his career remember. One may be enough for him if he gets it, if not, then maybe there is a chance since we should be an odds on favorite. Being in that position opens us up to alot of aging vets who still have something left in the tank for one ring remember.
    Very true. I just read the situation that Ware either retires or re-ups with Denver for one more ride. Don't see him getting to the open market. But I am totally ignorant of Denver's cap situation and roster composition. They certainly appear to have the players waiting in the wings to withstand the loss of Ware.

Denver will have boatloads of cap room with Peyton going and if they cut Ware.

Greg Hardy will be available too.

another Rund 2 DT everyone is gaga over right now is Ohio State's Adolphus Washington:

Senior Bowl Practice Report: Day 3

Adolphus Washington was one of the higher rated players here and is showing why...

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2016/01...-report-day-3/
    That makes sense.

Before the season began, Bosa was a top 5, and Washington was mocked at about 15.

Now, Bosa had a "slow" year, and many have speculated tgat he was avoiding injury. Regardless or the reasons, Bosa wasn't drawing quite as many double-teams... whereas, Washington was. A few extra chip blocks here & there dropped Washington from 15 to about 45.

You know: 45 is about right, considering that his status was probably elevated when Bosa was dominating.