Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2016 Steelers offseason shopping list.

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

2016 Steelers offseason shopping list.

Be as specific or as general as you like. Just lay out a reasoned plan that you would hope the Steelers might follow to get what looks to be a good team over the top. With my plan I wont give names, but if you have players in mind feel free to share them.

I would try add an impact player to every level of the defense. If you didn't notice Cam Heyward as much lately it's because he wore down. He played more downs than any DE in the league. Because he had to. The Steelers have two excellent DE's and then zippo behind them.

We could also use a legitimate NT/DT.

As far as lb's go. If he can stay healthy Shazier could make the jump to elite or close to it. I liked the way Dupree rallied in the playoffs. I didn't like the way he tailed off towards the end of the regular season. But it's not abnormal for rookies to have peaks and valleys. Timmons is starting to show his age. Or maybe it was just that it's hard to recover from turf toe in the course of a season? I'm gambling that he's going to be a bit better this coming season. Jarvis Jones? Our coach tells us his arrow is pointing up.My question is how far up? We need a olb besides Harrison( who may or may not be back) to pressure the passer. How can you not have one OLB even threaten having a 10 sack season? So is Dupree the answer? Or do you go off roster ( or God forbid) give it another try in the early rounds of the draft to satisfy this need?

And of course now we come to our defensive backfield. Mitchell seems to be satisfactory at one safety. Cockrell is a functionable nickel back. You got Golson who figures in somewhere. Does Gay come back? Boykin?

So to me the defense has to be addressed on every level. Draft defense early and often. Also reach out to the free agent market and sign at least two players that will take a high amount of snaps.

On offense just a few tweaks are necessary. Is it time to replace Heath Miller? How big a part of the future is Jesse James to our offense? Do you keep Ramon Foster and or Kelvin Beachum? Will the cap permit it?

What about Ben's back-up? Do you bring back Grakowski? Is Landry Jones good enough to be your number 2?

Oh lets not forget we need a kickoff and punt returner. And possibly a punter too?

Damn that's a lot to do!
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

Re: 2016 Steelers offseason shopping list.

They need an OLB to replace Harrison. I am not sold on Dupree's future. J. Jones has been a waste since the start. I am really hoping Chickillo takes more steps forward. Perhaps he will join Harrison in for training in AZ.

L. Jones can stay, but the Steelers need a quality backup who will be available if/when BR goes down. I think they can do better than Gradkowski.

Hopefully they can steal a late-round gem for the O-line. A tackle preferred.

It's not just Timmons' age. It's his salary. He may be a cap casualty. Shazier could be great if he can stay healthy. I think they should look into an ILB in the 3rd round or so.

A CB or S is needed. Allen is old and Thomas is too dumb.

I am not sold on the idea the Steelers need a new NT. But if there is a dynamo NT available they should look into it.

I haven't look at any draft profile sites yet or researched much at all. I do not want to see a RB, WR, P, K, DE taken in the first 3 rounds.

Hopefully Tomlin drafts football players rather than splash players.
    Hater = Realist

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

1) Immediate impact corner in FA. Someone mentioned in another thread that we dont have time to develop one since the clock is ticking for Ben and i agree. Sure, let's draft another early since we need that anyways, but signing a guy like Jeremy Lane or Trumaine Johnson would be a massive boon to our defense. Enough of the "we have 50 slot corners and thats good enough for us" bullshit. Probably let go of Cortez Allen in the process.

2) Safety in the draft. I agree that Mike Mitchell is sufficient. I think Shamarko Thomas, Robert Golden, and the strong possibility of Doran Grant moving to S will suffice as decent depth. All thats left seems to be adding another safety, preferably a box safety that is a feasible starter, and hopefully an immediate impact. I was lukewarm on Sua Kravens before, but now im all aboard that bandwagon. Seems to me if he was forced to bring his weight up to 225-231lb, he should be fine playing at his normal weight at SS. Extremely high football IQ, excels at damn near everything. He just doesnt have great long speed, but his intelligence and crazy closing speed seems to more than make up for it. We'll have mike mitchell playing more in the outfield anyways.

3) Re-sign Ramon Foster, let Beachum walk (unless he comes cheap). Foster is comically underappreciated on this team. Cant have superstars everywhere on your team and theres nothing wrong with that. Foster is a great bargain playing for 3 years on this team for only $6 million. And by all means in interviews and such, seems to love it here. hook him up for another 3 on the cheap, i dont see why we cant get it done. Villanueva doesnt make Beachum dispensable, but he makes losing him feasible. Seems like his ceiling is too high for us to waste time signing Beachum to a long contract that costs lots of money. That could really bite us in the ass. Ill still take him back though if the deal isnt longer than 3 years and if he takes a discount, but i doubt it. In this event, we definitely need more tackle depth. Were already good at interior o-line depth.

4) Get some D-line depth. I think kicking the tires on someone in FA is a good idea, plus another in the draft. NT/DE flexibility if possible. Hopefully LT Walton or Clifton Geathers (who seemed to be getting praised a lot and even dropped 90lb to switch to DE) surprises us.

5) Re-sign Decastro. In conjunction with Pouncey, our pulling game is insane. We'd be a fool to not re-sign him.

6) Bye Suisham.

7) Consider cutting Timmons. Were already $10 million under the projected cap and we have Troy and Woodley off the books, which sounds like a lot. But we have so many big deals upcoming that Timmons could be a problem: Martavis Bryant, David Decastro, Leveon Bell, Antonio Brown, etc. Cutting Timmons will free up another $10 million, who will be 30 by next season, has been starting seasons really slow for the past couple of years, and a player who we have 2 decent back ups for. Albeit, none of them are on his level. Deciding on cutting or extending him to reduce his cap charge is going to be key to this offseason

8) For the love of god dont re-sign Antwon Blake

9) Bring back Gay. He wants to be here anyways. Didnt allow a TD all year. Bring back Boykin too if were positive that he can play outside

10) Stop fucking up on our OLB evaluations (letting Shaquil Barrett end up on the Broncos just because we were trying to skimp on paying him a little bit, letting HoJo go to the Bucs, Tomlin saying Jarvis Jones arrow is point up...stfu)

11) Bye Dirty Dick Thomas

12) Hopefully whatever DB's we pick up in the offseason will double as a good KR/PR (all the more reason to keep Boykin, if we think he can play outside)

13) Keep Toussaint and/Todman. Let Will Johnson walk. We have potentially the deepest backfield in the NFL. Todman seems like the one more likely to leave since he's actually gotten significant starter snaps before and being 4th on the depth chart isnt so great. He didnt even have his return skills put to use, which is a shame since we could have used that. Roosevelt Nix is arguably our best special teamer and an even better, younger fullback than Will Johnson. Hell, Nix just started learning his position, so i dont think we should be surprised if he becomes pro bowl caliber.
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

1. CB or S, if we can add one through free agency then great; still should probably draft another; which position and what round depends on who we can sign, whether Boykin leaves, and whether they really do try Grant at safety. Bringing Gay back is a no-brainer if we can make the money work. Blake and both Allens should be gone regardless, with Golson rejoining the team, so a deficit of at least one active-roster player to fill, maybe two or more.

2. Big fat guy for the defensive line. Kenny Clark from UCLA has been mentioned, which would be good, but there look like several decent ones in this draft.

3. Backup/rotation DE if the aforementioned fat guy cannot also play DE for stretches. I don't care whether we sign one or draft one, but everyone behind Tuitt and Heyward cannot suck. A guy who we draft in the 6th round is probably not going to cut it for this.

4. Backup QB, really just a low-priced veteran to take Vick's spot and Jones is probably the third. If it's Gradkowski then great; I am not a big fan of backup QBs who miss the entire season with an injury, though.

5. Depth at OLB, OL, TE. We will lose one of Beachum or Foster and it'll probably be Beachum, over money. So we may draft an OL prospect who can play tackle as early as the second or third round (again, depending on if/who we can sign before that). We would be smart to at least have a guy on the roster who can play decently at center in case Pouncey has another injury. I don't see OLB as a huge immediate need, but we'll probably pick one up anyway.

Suisham will almost certainly be gone. Blake had better be gone. Timmons may be if it helps us keep one of our up-and-coming guys. We have replacements for all of them, so this is not a big deal.

WR and RB are set; only question is whether we keep DHB or move Coates up. Keep Nix over Johnson but bring them both into camp so we're not left picking through the dung heap if there's an injury.

Contrary to some people's opinions, I think Berry is fine as our punter.

We're really in a pretty good position. Two positions that we need to address, and then the rest is just building depth/building for the future. Things were really looking grim after the 2008-09 drafts and the high-profile OLB misses, but seems like things have come together with the more recent guys - a huge assist in the OL department being a large part of that.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

1. I wouldn't cut Timmons because he still plays at a high level. Turf toe got him, hopefully not as bad as Jack Lambert.

2. Shark Thomas is too dumb to play STs.

3. Cam Thomas will be gone.

4. We need an outside CB, OLB and line help on both sides.

5. Don't forget a S & P too.

6. Offense is set if we bring back Fitz and Todman. Miller has one more year, but that's it. Need another TE and a back up QB unless they want to go with 2.
    All Defense!

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

I think we are ok along the DL, we could use some good depth for rotation, maybe a cheap FA would be best here.
    I agree we need to bookend Dupree, alot of flashes should mean he should have a break-out year next season, but maybe that will just help JJ like JH helped make Woodley look great enough to get a giant contract. I think JH will be back and Moats gives us a solid rotation for next season.
    I think we need to keep Gay and focus on a solid FA CB pickup. This is the one key spot they need to go out and spend $ on a FA.
    We can draft a safety and probably bring back W Allen on the cheap to rotate with Golden for next season so Safety is not a giant concern for next season.
    We are obviously stocked at ILB, but would like them to re-sign Spence.
    For the offense, we are fine for next season, bring back Gradkowski and Landry can be the #3 and we should be fine there as long as Gradkowski is healthy.
    We are set for WR and RB.
    For OL, if we can bring back Beachem then we should do it, if not we need to draft a LT and AV will be our starter. I would like them to resign Foster as well, but if they can not bring back Beachem or Foster then we probably should go get some depth FA here too.
    As far as TE goes, I think Heath has AT LEAST 1 more yr left and the Outlaw looked more like a pass catching TE so if they really want to replace Heath they will need to draft his replacement this season or next and count on Heath sticking around for one year after that guy is drafted.
    ST . . . start with a new ST coach, figure out someone to replace/backup AB on PR duty. Maybe bring in another punter to camp and let them fight it out. I think Boswell will stay just due to $$'s and he is better on kickoffs.

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

Miller is looking like Hines Ward at the end dropping too many balls and slowing down noticeably. He has one season. Super Bowl or bust in 2017!
    All Defense!

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ALLD View Post
    1. I wouldn't cut Timmons because he still plays at a high level. Turf toe got him, hopefully not as bad as Jack Lambert.
    the question i pose is, do we really want to keep around a guy that seems good for 10-12 games where he actually plays well, a player who has the 2nd highest cap hit on the team, and in a position where we have depth?

i really wanted to cut Timmons at the beginning of the season, because he was starting off awful as usual, but then he picked back up to his usual level and now im leaning just barely towards keeping him via extension. still a toss up for me
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Senior Member Array title="Drazo85 has a reputation beyond repute"> Drazo85's Avatar
    Tetris Champion! Jungle Fruit Champion!

I think the need on the DL is greatly underestimated by the fans. Cam and Tuit are great, but they also are only constant threat to opposing quarterbacks. One injury away from starting DD Thomas. Rotational lineman is greatest need on this team, and that guy can be picked as a FA, or in the middle rounds. It would be awesome if he can play nose as well.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

The offense is STELLAR. Ben was the only QB to pass for 300+ yards on Denver... and, he did it TWICE. A healthy Pouncey, Bell, D.Williams, AB, and BB makes this offense record-breaking (seriously: I see AB eclipsing the receptions and yardage marks for receivers).

So, 4/5 of my entire wish list is for defense.

5) OLB. Von Miller showed why a pass rush is the key to a game. Dupree hit the rookie wall; he will be fine. Harrison will be Harrison, but Father Time always wins. Always. Chickillo might be the guy, but who really knows. I just want to see the opposing QB have fear in his eyes (at least once per series).

4) CB. Duh. I didn't even need a superstar. Just someone who isn't awful. Golson, Gay, a rookie, Cockrell, and Grant. Blake WILL be back, but hopefully someone else will surpass him.

3) DL. Depth. The Broncos had one good drive... when Tuitt and Heyward were spelled by Thomas and McClendon. Tuitt and Heyward are great, but they are only human; they have to rest once in a while. Kenny Clark in R1 would be ideal (he can play the nose and also rotate at end).

2) SS. Sign Weddle. If not that, then draft Su'a Cravens. If they go Kenny Clark in R1, then draft Karl Joseph. In other words, a "good" SS needs to be added to this team. When the defense was great, they had a great safety (Lake, Troy); when the defense was suspect, the safety was average (Flowers, Allen). I am a huge proponent that a defense should revolve around your SS.

1) LG. I'd prefer that they re-sign Beachum. If not, Foster would be status quo (which is damn good). Why is this my #1 wish? Four words: keep Big Ben healthy.

Member Array title="slashsteel is on a distinguished road"> slashsteel's Avatar

No reason even looking toward Von Miller types, as the Steelers will not get into a bidding war.

But you have a certain Rams corner(Johnson) a certain Jet NT(Harrison) that could upgrade without breaking the bank.

then you pick up a vet DE to rotate in, draft BPA and that might be a good start to a special season...........

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Wishlist = defense

1st on my list is the secondary, mainly at the safety position. I like MM better year 2. He was a penalty machine last season but became legit this season. Needs help though.
    2nd On my list is D-Line. I love Heyward and Tuitt. Need that guy at the nose that is just as special.
    3rd on my list is OLB. Yes again. I'm still not satisfied. I know we can improve at the OLB position.

I felt this defense really started working well together this year. It's not that far from being great, IMO. Just missing a few pieces to make it hummmm.

Senior Member Array title="Drazo85 has a reputation beyond repute"> Drazo85's Avatar
    Tetris Champion! Jungle Fruit Champion!

Quote Originally Posted by slashsteel View Post
    ...a certain Jet NT(Harrison)...
    I would be jumping trough the roof if they somehow sign this mountain.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Offseason shopping list:

1) booze
    2) cocaine
    3) rubbers
    1) more booze
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Drazo85 View Post
    I think the need on the DL is greatly underestimated by the fans. Cam and Tuit are great, but they also are only constant threat to opposing quarterbacks. One injury away from starting DD Thomas. Rotational lineman is greatest need on this team, and that guy can be picked as a FA, or in the middle rounds. It would be awesome if he can play nose as well.
    Cam Heyward played more snaps this season (1,027) than any defensive lineman in the NFL.

— Chris Adamski (@C_AdamskiTrib) January 5, 2016

Overall, Heyward was on the field for 88 percent of the total defensive snaps and Tuitt for just over 78 percent.

http://steelerswire.usatoday.com/201...efensive-line/

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    Cam Heyward played more snaps this season (1,027) than any defensive lineman in the NFL.

— Chris Adamski (@C_AdamskiTrib) January 5, 2016

Overall, Heyward was on the field for 88 percent of the total defensive snaps and Tuitt for just over 78 percent.

http://steelerswire.usatoday.com/201...efensive-line/
    Sounds like that is way too much...probably explains why Heyward petered out towards the end...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Using my wish list as a template for the draft, wherein the 5th priority (OLB) would be the last position to fill...

1. Re-sign Beachum. (If not, then Foster.)

2. If the sign Weddle...
    R1: Kenny Clark, DL, UCLA
    R2: Karl Joseph, SS, WVU
    R3: Cameron Sutton, CB, Tennessee
    R4: Victor Ochi, OLB, Stoney Brook

If they don't sign Weddle...
    R1: Su'a Cravens, SS, USC
    R2: Dontknowyet Bigguy, DL, College State

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Using my wish list as a template for the draft, wherein the 5th priority (OLB) would be the last position to fill...

2. If the sign Weddle...

That's a pretty solid plan, actually. But I doubt they go defense for 4 picks in a row - especially since we don't have a #5 and #6. Haley would go freaking ballistic. So maybe a TE or OL prospect is thrown in there in Round 2-3. Otherwise, that's almost exactly what I'd hope for.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

2. If the sign Weddle...

If they don't sign Weddle...
    R1: Su'a Cravens, SS, USC
    R2: Dontknowyet Bigguy, DL, College State
    Cameron Sutton did not declare for the draft and is returning for his senior year:

Cameron Sutton: Sutton may have gone Rd. 1 if he'd declared

TFY Draft Insider's Tony Pauline reports that the consensus among scouts at the Shrine Game is that Tennessee junior CB Cameron Sutton "would’ve been a top 42 choice" and may have slid into late Rd. 1 had he declared.

"Sutton would’ve been ranked at a top 42 prospect for his return skills as well as his cornerback ability," Pauline wrote. Sutton announced he would return to school last week. The 6-foot-1, 189-pounder is a physical corner who likes to crowd receivers. Jan. 19 -

Source: TFY Draft Insider

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/pla...e=51452&spln=1

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

I asked this in another thread but perhaps it fits better here; should the Steelers try to trade Wheaton for a 3rd to 5th round pick? As much as anything I think it makes room for Sammy Coates who may have a bigger upside than Wheaton. Plus DHB is perfectly suited as your 4th receiver/special teams demon. If he has to compete with Coates for 4th receiver duties he probably goes elsewhere ( he's an UFA, but would love to come back if the circumstances fit) So it's probably beneficial to all 3 to trade him.

Quote Originally Posted by zulater View Post
    I asked this in another thread but perhaps it fits better here; should the Steelers try to trade Wheaton for a 3rd to 5th round pick? As much as anything I think it makes room for Sammy Coates who may have a bigger upside than Wheaton. Plus DHB is perfectly suited as your 4th receiver/special teams demon. If he has to compete with Coates for 4th receiver duties he probably goes elsewhere ( he's an UFA, but would love to come back if the circumstances fit) So it's probably beneficial to all 3 to trade him.

That's really not a bad idea. Since he's in the last year of his contract with no dead money complicating things, that means maybe a player-for-player trade is possible, which I would far prefer to one for draft picks. Maybe we get an NFL-ready defender instead of a guy who's a question mark if he'll ever be able to contribute at all. In fact, in that light, fuck trading him for draft picks. We'll probably get a compensatory pick right around the 5th round anyway if we just let him go.

Wheaton showed himself to be a pretty good #3 receiver but struggled in any other role. DHB was actually far better than him when we were missing Brown or Bryant and looking for someone to step up. I think that means Wheaton may simply be an average receiver who can do well in a mismatch against the other team's third corner or a LB/safety handoff, but can't get open against a decent defender.

Throw in the fact that Wheaton is only here for one more year before his price goes up to $4M or $5M - which some team will offer with a mind to make him a #1 or #2 receiver, but we can't justify - and it becomes even more obvious. Get something for him while we can. DHB is at least a 1:1 replacement and Coates is behind him. So as far as our own well-being, I don't think we're in any danger without him.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    That's really not a bad idea. Since he's in the last year of his contract with no dead money complicating things, that means maybe a player-for-player trade is possible, which I would far prefer to one for draft picks. Maybe we get an NFL-ready defender instead of a guy who's a question mark if he'll ever be able to contribute at all. In fact, in that light, fuck trading him for draft picks. We'll probably get a compensatory pick right around the 5th round anyway if we just let him go.

Wheaton showed himself to be a pretty good #3 receiver but struggled in any other role. DHB was actually far better than him when we were missing Brown or Bryant and looking for someone to step up. I think that means Wheaton may simply be an average receiver who can do well in a mismatch against the other team's third corner or a LB/safety handoff, but can't get open against a decent defender.

Throw in the fact that Wheaton is only here for one more year before his price goes up to $4M or $5M - which some team will offer with a mind to make him a #1 or #2 receiver, but we can't justify - and it becomes even more obvious. Get something for him while we can. DHB is at least a 1:1 replacement and Coates is behind him. So as far as our own well-being, I don't think we're in any danger without him.
    I like the player for player idea if the right trade is out there!

-

- - - Updated - - -

I like the player for player idea if the right trade is out there!

-

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

I've thought about that and I'd be for it. We've seen what Wheaton is. He's a good #3 WR but that's all. I'd like to see much more of Coates next season.
    I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play!- Jack Lambert

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

What did you guys see from Coates that I missed? Not necessarily against the proposed trade but not willing to assume Coates is going to produce better than Wheaton has. Most likely one will have to go though. AB, Bryant, Wheaton, Coates, all 4 wide? Air Tomlin!

That's a pretty solid plan, actually. But I doubt they go defense for 4 picks in a row - especially since we don't have a #5 and #6. Haley would go freaking ballistic. So maybe a TE or OL prospect is thrown in there in Round 2-3. Otherwise, that's almost exactly what I'd hope for.
    Option #1:
    HALEY: Waaa!!! I want an offensive player.
    TOMLIN: Shut up, Todd.

Option #2:
    If they sign Weddle, I guess that Haley could have the R2 pick for a TE or something. Or... Haley can just shut up.

Steeler Nation Rocks !!! Array title="Steelersfan is on a distinguished road"> Steelersfan's Avatar

Just a "wet dream" scenario, but it's the off-season. A little dream'in never hurts:

Steelers trade Markice Pouncy, Marcus Wheaton, Sean Suisham & 4th round pick to the LA Rams for Aaron Donald. The trade is made to appease Aaron after he voiced his disdain to the Rams ownership & organization for ripping the team out of St Louis. Aaron requested to be traded and let it be known that he didn't want to waste his career drowning in mediocrity while the organization tried to rebuild from the ground up playing in a beat-up college stadium in a new city with NO fan base. He request to go home to a city and the team where he belongs.

The Steelers plan to play Aaron Donald at OLB & replacing fan icon James "Deebo" Harrison on the roster.
    Here We Go Pittsburgh
Here We Go

Option #1:
    HALEY: Waaa!!! I want an offensive player.
    TOMLIN: Shut up, Todd.

Option #2:
    If they sign Weddle, I guess that Haley could have the R2 pick for a TE or something. Or... Haley can just shut up.

Or just sign one of these guys as a free agent nose tackle:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kakury...ikisabur%C5%8D
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hakuh%C5%8D_Sh%C5%8D
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terunofuji_Haruo

Then we don't have to use a draft pick for that and everyone's happy.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Or just sign one of these guys as a free agent nose tackle:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kakury...ikisabur%C5%8D
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hakuh%C5%8D_Sh%C5%8D
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terunofuji_Haruo

Then we don't have to use a draft pick for that and everyone's happy.
    Brilliant!!!

If you're going for broke, then: no, you keep him. Win now, with as strong if a team as possible, and worry about the future in the future.

If you're looking long term, then: yes. That said, unless you gather a R3 pick for him, you might as well use him for a year, let him walk, and garner the R5 pick. And, simply, I don't see anyone trading a R3 pick for him.

SUMMATION:
    Good thought, but not at all likely.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelersfan View Post
    Just a "wet dream" scenario, but it's the off-season. A little dream'in never hurts:

Steelers trade Markice Pouncy, Marcus Wheaton, Sean Suisham & 4th round pick to the LA Rams for Aaron Donald. The trade is made to appease Aaron after he voiced his disdain to the Rams ownership & organization for ripping the team out of St Louis. Aaron requested to be traded and let it be known that he didn't want to waste his career drowning in mediocrity while the organization tried to rebuild from the ground up playing in a beat-up college stadium in a new city with NO fan base. He request to go home to a city and the team where he belongs.

The Steelers plan to play Aaron Donald at OLB & replacing fan icon James "Deebo" Harrison on the roster.
    I'd easily trade the R1 and R4 picks for Aaron Donald. Heck, I might trade the top two picks (R1 and R2).

But, I'd play a three-man line:
    Donald - Heyward - Tuitt