Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weddle

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Weddle

Steelers: Eric Weddle in Black and Gold?

It’s no secret that the Steelers pass defense needs some help. We expect them to address the issues in the secondary this off-season. Maybe a free-agent or two, and definitely in the 2016 NFL Draft.

Eric Weddle is one of the best safeties in the NFL. He’s set to be an UFA (Unrestricted Free Agent) in 2016. Since being a 2nd round pick (37th overall) by the San Diego Chargers in the 2007 NFL Draft, Eric Weddle has been quite the impact. Weddle has recorded 19 interceptions, 5 forced fumbles, 4 touchdowns, 71 pass deflections, 6.5 sacks and 849 tackles. But with all this success, his relationship with the Chargers has gone south, quickly.

The relationship started to go sour after the Chargers refused to give Weddle a new deal. Weddle signed a five-year, $40 million contract extension in July 2011. It sounded like this alone was making Weddle want to leave San Diego.

Then, crap hit the fan. The Chargers fined Weddle $10,000 for watching his daughter perform at half-time. To make matters worse, the Chargers put Weddle on IR (injured reserve) before their Week 17 game at Denver.

There’s a lot more to this story, but I’ll just get right to the point.
    http://stillcurtain.com/2016/01/22/s...in-black-gold/
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Steelers fan, circa 1985 Array title="BigNastyDefense is a name known to all"> BigNastyDefense's Avatar

Re: Weddle

He was hurt last year and is 32. This defense doesn't need to get older, it needs to get younger. There are going to be some good safeties and corners in the draft. If the Steelers bring back Gay and Boykin, with Golston playing the nickel/dime (he was a 2nd round pick last year), we can take a safety in the draft (maybe even in the second round with a corner in the first).

At 32, was Weddle's injury problem last season a blip on the radar or a sign of what's to come for him? That's my biggest concern. The cap is supposed to rise, and I would rather use that to keep guys like Brown and Bell in the Black & Gold than sign a guy that may not even be useful for the duration of his contract.

RIP Marianne "HTG" - You'll Always Be With Us
    Follow me on Twitter @Blue_Collar_Guy

The Virginia Hillbilly Array title="Galax Steeler is a splendid one to behold"> Galax Steeler's Avatar

Maybe if he was about 5 years younger, we have to move on from some of the older ones and build our team with the young.

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

Bring in Weddle and Mel Blount to give us TWO first class corners.
    All Defense!

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

I like Weddle but I agree with BigNastyDefense. Our D doesn't need to get older. Weddle is also a FS and we need a SS.

It sounds like the Steelers might be planning on converting Grant to SS.
    I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play!- Jack Lambert

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

No thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

And the price will be too high too.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

I don't think so. But I don't think Colbert takes a CB or S in the 1st or 2nd round unless one of the top 10 or 12 fall through the cracks.

Steeler Nation Rocks !!! Array title="Steelersfan is on a distinguished road"> Steelersfan's Avatar

Abso f*%$&#*g lutely!!!

If Colbert hasn't already been on the phone with Weddle's agent, telling him he wants the Steelers to be his 1st visit, the minute free agency starts. He's not doing his job. Weddle's exactly the kinda free agent the Steelers target and one they need this year. We have at least 3 holes at Safety. Sham Thomas & Will Allen can be unsigned, cut or upgraded, not too mention the #1 starting Safety need we have = 3 safety roster spots. Can't fill all those with the draft. They even need to secure Golden. But I see Golden & Mitchell as being the only Safeties that are must haves for 2016.

Weddle has experience, can still play, can compete to be a starter, isn't "HIGH" dollar, is a locker room leader (Veteran savvy), can upgrade depth and helps a BPA draft alleviating a "need" pick. The Steelers org. isn't the Pirates org. In the off-season, they ALWAYS do what they can to bring in the best 90 to build the best 53 by the start of the season. They always bring in free agents to alleviate roster "holes" so they are able to go BPA in the draft. Weedle would fill many off-season objectives/needs. If he isn't considered and he or someone better, isn't signed at safety before the draft, I would be pissed. They will upgrade the position by the draft though.
    Here We Go Pittsburgh
Here We Go

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steelersfan View Post
    Abso f*%$&#*g lutely!!!

If Colbert hasn't already been on the phone with Weddle's agent, telling him he wants the Steelers to be his 1st visit, the minute free agency starts. He's not doing his job. Weddle's exactly the kinda free agent the Steelers target and one they need this year. We have at least 3 holes at Safety. Sham Thomas & Will Allen can be unsigned, cut or upgraded, not too mention the #1 starting Safety need we have = 3 safety roster spots. Can't fill all those with the draft. They even need to secure Golden. But I see Golden & Mitchell as being the only Safeties that are must haves for 2016.

Weddle has experience, can still play, can compete to be a starter, isn't "HIGH" dollar, is a locker room leader (Veteran savvy), can upgrade depth and helps a BPA draft alleviating a "need" pick. The Steelers org. isn't the Pirates org. In the off-season, they ALWAYS do what they can to bring in the best 90 to build the best 53 by the start of the season. They always bring in free agents to alleviate roster "holes" so they are able to go BPA in the draft. Weedle would fill many off-season objectives/needs. If he isn't considered and he or someone better, isn't signed at safety before the draft, I would be pissed. They will upgrade the position by the draft though.
    If the price was very right I'd be ok with it.

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steelersfan View Post
    Abso f*%$&#*g lutely!!!

We have at least 3 holes at Safety. Sham Thomas & Will Allen can be unsigned, cut or upgraded, not too mention the #1 starting Safety need we have = 3 safety roster spots.

Weddle has experience, can still play, can compete to be a starter, isn't "HIGH" dollar, is a locker room leader (Veteran savvy), can upgrade depth and helps a BPA draft alleviating a "need" pick.

They always bring in free agents to alleviate roster "holes" so they are able to go BPA in the draft. Weedle would fill many off-season objectives/needs.
    Agreed.

It's not rocket science.

Bring him in and evaluate him and if he can still play and the price is right sign him as a stopgap.

Ben's window is closing and I don't want to wait a few years for drafted safeties to develop.

I would also imagine Weddle would like to sign with a team that has a shot at winning the Superbowl.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    If the price was very right I'd be ok with it.
    Yup. Basically, if we could get him for what we're paying Antwon Blake now, that's a positive move for us (assuming Weddle can still play at an above-average level, and I have no idea whether either of these things are true).

It'd be a year or two stopgap, not a long-term solution, but our window to win is NOW. Meaning next season and the one after. So in that context, it makes perfect sense.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Weddle is going to cost 7-10 million or so per season. He had a pulled groin for like 3 weeks and then the Chargers put him on IR because they are in some sort of weird fight with Weddle. He is no more of an injury risk than Deangelo Williams or Heath Miller.

He was, statistically, a league leading safety in 2014 and for much of 2015. Considering how terrible the Chargers are, that is saying something.

Long story short, Weddle and Mike Mitchell would be an impressive safety tandem for the next 2 years or so, but no way it happens. Weddle is going to get paid. Or at least paid more than the 3-4 million per that the Steelers are going to want to shell out.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Weddle is going to cost 7-10 million or so per season. He had a pulled groin for like 3 weeks and then the Chargers put him on IR because they are in some sort of weird fight with Weddle. He is no more of an injury risk than Deangelo Williams or Heath Miller.

He was, statistically, a league leading safety in 2014 and for much of 2015. Considering how terrible the Chargers are, that is saying something.

Long story short, Weddle and Mike Mitchell would be an impressive safety tandem for the next 2 years or so, but no way it happens. Weddle is going to get paid. Or at least paid more than the 3-4 million per that the Steelers are going to want to shell out.
    If the Steeler's wanted to sign him would it be that difficult to free up an extra 4 million?

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GBMelBlount View Post
    If the Steeler's wanted to sign him would it be that difficult to free up an extra 4 million?
    I really don't know. All the restructures and cap charges stuff makes my head swim. My assumption was that with paying Ben, Pouncey, and Heyward top dollar. Restructuring Timmons, extending Decastro, doing something with AB to keep him happy, signing at least one of Beachum and Foster, likely extending Bell and resigning at least William Gay from the DBs - that is a pretty big list from a starting point of (I am told) not a great deal of cap space.

Where/how do you fit another 8 million dollar cap charge in there? Be very dangerous to push Weddle's dollars into the future due to his age. Who knows, it could happen. I know Tomlin was making googly eyes at him early this year...

Our offense was loaded this year and in the top 3 in the league without Bell, Pouncey or Beachum.

It makes me wonder if having a casualty on offense to significantly upgrade 1 or 2 positions on defense would improve the team overall.

Quote Originally Posted by GBMelBlount View Post
    Our offense was loaded this year and in the top 3 in the league without Bell, Pouncey or Beachum.

It makes me wonder if having a casualty on offense to significantly upgrade 1 or 2 positions on defense would improve the team overall.
    That is an interesting idea. However, it may not be necessary - it looks like I was WAY off in my estimation of what Weddle's market would be: http://www.steelersdepot.com/2016/01...s-eric-weddle/

Bleedin' the B&G Array title="Steelman has much to be proud of"> Steelman's Avatar

Even if we had Oakland-style cap space, I'm not so sure I'd sign Weddle. He slowed down significantly this year and I don't think it was just the groin injury at the end of the season. I watched a few of his games this past season and was not impressed. He's trending down, and it will be precipitous.

Weddle's versatility has been lauded by Tomlin, but is he really a good fit with Mitchell? I'm genuinely curious why they would make good backfield mates, because I don't see the appeal.

Personally, unless a high-caliber cover safety becomes available in FA, I'd rather make Will Allen retire and stick with Robert Golden and draft a safety to be the future starter.

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

He's another Revis near the end of his career.
    All Defense!

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

PROS:
    Weddle was not just an All Pro in 2014, he was the best safety in the league.

Weddle can play either safety position, as well as any CB position. He allows the DC to use creative blitzes (because Weddle can play any position in a secondary).

He lost favor with the Bolts coaching staff, because he said that the team had quit during the Vikings game. I noted this prior to the Steelers-Chargers game. He didn't lose a step; the team around him habitually gave up. Add in a contract dispute, as well as the Carson/Inglewood distraction, and you have a cocktail for a team (not just Weddle) to have a down season.

CONS:
    He's 32. We all saw Troy from All Pro to human, in just two seasons.

He will cost $7 million.

SUMMATION:
    If the Steelers are going for broke, they sign Weddle.

The offense is already STACKED. Add Weddle, Golson, another CB, and DL depth... and the defense becomes formidable enough to allow the Steelers to roll over ANYONE.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Even in the short term, Weddle wasn't what he's been in the past. I'm not sure he's the answer there for $5M a season.

Thought about it some more. All I got is that even though Weddle would be expensive and you would largely be paying for past performance AND taking a massive risk that father time suddenly catches up with him - dude can still play better than anyone in the 2015 Steelers secondary.

Bottom line - what other FA or draft pick would serve to improve an obvious area of weakness that quickly? I might be able to be talked in to overpaying for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Thought about it some more. All I got is that even though Weddle would be expensive and you would largely be paying for past performance AND taking a massive risk that father time suddenly catches up with him - dude can still play better than anyone in the 2015 Steelers secondary.

Bottom line - what other FA or draft pick would serve to improve an obvious area of weakness that quickly? I might be able to be talked in to overpaying for that.
    Wouldn't be hard to find someone that can out play the current guys...but you're right...I guess I wouldn't be opposed...I'd be a little bit cautious.

Original Member Array title="steelerdude15 has a brilliant future"> steelerdude15's Avatar

With the limited cap space the Steelers are going to have for next year and with a few key free agents the Steelers should resign, I doubt they would be able to afford Weddle. I'm sure he will be asking for more money than what the Steelers could pay him. I think it would be better to draft a safety.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Even in the short term, Weddle wasn't what he's been in the past. I'm not sure he's the answer there for $5M a season.
    Honestly, I chalk 2015 up to a crappy set of circumstances.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Safety is not just a plug and play position. My first question of a 32 yr old safety is not ability, but familiarity with our defense. I believe the biggest part of what made Troy become human was the absence of Ryan Clark who allowed Troy to be Troy. Mitchell didn't know how to play the TP style, so Troy was 'caught' out of position. Do we NEED safety upgrade? Absolutely, but I'm not sure about top dollar for an aged vet that could very well just be looking for that final big payday. I would look more at someone ending their rookie contract and willing to come in and learn and contribute. Have to go look to find a name or 2, but seems the safer option to me.

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

id rather sign Trumaine Johnson to man a starting CB spot and let Robert Golden be a serviceable starter/share time with a high rookie pick like Craven or Joseph.

Will Allen was ok. Robert Golden was clearly better. How bad could it be. We need corners who can immediately play outside much more badly
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Senior Member Array title="Nadroj 20 is just really nice"> Nadroj 20's Avatar

We need to bring guys in that is going to help us immediately. Someone that will help short term not long term. Ben only has so many years left, so if Weedle as an older player is capable of helping us immediately and we don't have to wait on a guy to develop I'm all for it.
    "Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose"
    ~Rest In Peace HometownGal~

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nadroj 20 View Post
    We need to bring guys in that is going to help us immediately. Someone that will help short term not long term. Ben only has so many years left, so if Weedle as an older player is capable of helping us immediately and we don't have to wait on a guy to develop I'm all for it.
    If that is Weddle's plan then yes. If he knows he's probably signing his last contract and just wants to cash in, then no. That is the risk to me.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar