Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking Ahead to a Possible Contract Extension for Steelers RB Le'Veon Bell

Banned Array title="SteelersProfessor is an unknown quantity at this point">

Re: Looking Ahead to a Possible Contract Extension for Steelers RB Le'Veon Bell

I don't either. He's been beat up in this offense.

Need to go back to the Whiz/BA model: Every 3rd series, the #2 back plays, whither he gets the ball or not. Also get an exclusive 3rd down back.

This team blew it two years ago when they let Darren Sproles slip through their fingers. He also would have saved AB from punt return duty as well.

If he's released in Philly, we better get on the phone ASAP.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    I know I'll sound like a dick for saying it, but the smart business move would be to have him play out next year on his rookie deal, franchise him in 2017, and THEN work out a long-term contract (possibly before the start of 2017 in place of the tag, since I'd expect the costs for both to be about equal). That saves us between $5-10M that we could really really really REALLY use in the immediate short term.

I mean, his market value isn't getting any higher if we wait until next year to sign him; it'll be the RB max contract regardless. Might as well enjoy another year of the rookie contract structure, since that's the reason it was put in place, instead of conceding the competitive advantage you get from making a good draft pick.
    Agreed. Plus...consider how many more knee injuries can he take before he's no longer the same runner. Stretch out his rookie contract as far as you can.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SteelersProfessor View Post
    I don't either. He's been beat up in this offense.

Need to go back to the Whiz/BA model: Every 3rd series, the #2 back plays, whither he gets the ball or not. Also get an exclusive 3rd down back.

This team blew it two years ago when they let Darren Sproles slip through their fingers. He also would have saved AB from punt return duty as well.

If he's released in Philly, we better get on the phone ASAP.
    That is still the plan, even under Haley, but it seems the way the game flow goes, they back away.

Banned Array title="SteelersProfessor is an unknown quantity at this point">

It's not even close to the same. DW barely saw the field when Bell came back, not just in touches, but lack of snaps.

Rams game was Bell's first game, they ran 63 plays. DW saw 5 snaps. Chargers? 9 snaps. Cardinals? 2 snaps. Chiefs? 10 snaps.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SteelersProfessor View Post
    It's not even close to the same. DW barely saw the field when Bell came back, not just in touches, but lack of snaps.

Rams game was Bell's first game, they ran 63 plays. DW saw 5 snaps. Chargers? 9 snaps. Cardinals? 2 snaps. Chiefs? 10 snaps.
    Never said it was the same. I said that was the plan. Now, Haley executing that plan is a different story.