Thread: Mel Kiper's 1st NFL Mock Draft of 2016

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Mel Kiper's 1st NFL Mock Draft of 2016

will this be the year the Steelers pick a CB in the first round?

Mel Kiper NFL Mock Draft 2016: Notable Picks from ESPN Guru's 1st Mock

By Mike Chiari , Featured Columnist Jan 14, 2016

Mel Kiper Jr. is perhaps the most respected NFL draft analyst in the business, which is why the release of his first 2016 mock draft Thursday on ESPN.com feels very much like the official start of draft season.

While the latter portion of the draft order has yet to be determined due to the ongoing NFL playoffs, much of the order is already set in stone, which means most organizations are starting to focus on preparations ahead of April's draft.

A lot will change between now and draft night as players improve or hurt their stock at the NFL Scouting Combine, but the tape generally doesn't lie when it comes to top prospects.

With several months of evaluation still in the offing, here is a rundown of Kiper's first 2016 first-round mock draft, along with a closer look at some of the most intriguing picks.

Mel Kiper's 1st 2016 NFL Mock Draft: Round 1

Pick Team Player
    1 Tennessee Titans Joey Bosa, DE, Ohio State
    2 Cleveland Browns Jared Goff, QB, California
    3 San Diego Chargers Laremy Tunsil, OT, Ole Miss
    4 Dallas Cowboys DeForest Buckner, DE, Oregon
    5 Jacksonville Jaguars Jalen Ramsey, DB, Florida State
    6 Baltimore Ravens Ronnie Stanley, OT, Notre Dame
    7 San Francisco 49ers Laquon Treadwell, WR, Ole Miss
    8 Miami Dolphins Shaq Lawson, DE, Clemson
    9 Tampa Bay Buccaneers Vernon Hargreaves, CB, Florida
    10 New York Giants Myles Jack, LB, UCLA
    11 Chicago Bears Reggie Ragland, LB, Alabama
    12 New Orleans Saints A'Shawn Robinson, DL, Alabama
    13 Philadelphia Eagles Robert Nkemdiche, DL, Ole Miss
    14 Oakland Raiders Jack Conklin, OT, Michigan State
    15 Los Angeles Rams Paxton Lynch, QB, Memphis
    16 Detroit Lions Jarran Reed, DL, Alabama
    17 Atlanta Falcons Kevin Dodd, DE, Clemson
    18 Indianapolis Colts Taylor Decker, OT, Ohio State
    19 Buffalo Bills Jonathan Allen, DE, Alabama
    20 New York Jets Jaylon Smith, LB, Notre Dame
    21 Washington Redskins Mackensie Alexander, CB, Clemson
    22 Houston Texans Carson Wentz, QB, North Dakota State
    23 Minnesota Vikings Josh Doctson, WR, TCU
    24 Cincinnati Bengals Will Fuller, WR, Notre Dame
    25 Pittsburgh Steelers Kendall Fuller, CB, Virginia Tech
    26 Seattle Seahawks Eli Apple, CB, Ohio State
    27 Green Bay Packers Austin Johnson, DT, Penn State
    28 Kansas City Chiefs Kenny Clark, DT, UCLA
    29 Denver Broncos Ezekiel Elliott, RB, Ohio State
    30 Arizona Cardinals Leonard Floyd, OLB, Georgia
    31 Carolina Panthers Emmanuel Ogbah, DE, Oklahoma State
    ESPN.com

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...gurus-1st-mock

Senior Member Array title="Steeltreal will become famous soon enough"> Steeltreal's Avatar

Re: Mel Kiper's 1st NFL Mock Draft of 2016

5 Defensive Backs are hitting Free Agency, Cortez Allen, Shamarko, and Mitchell aren't exactly Fan favorites. This is a critical year for DB moving forward .
    "It comes with the Territory" - Floyd 'Money' Mayweather

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    Why does everyone forget we chose a second round CB last year who hasn't seen the field, but his body of work shows he has the potential to be a very good CB? I wouldn't waste a first round pick on a CB until we know how Golson works out, unless one falls to us as BPA.
    Because we don't have a single CB on the roster who has the ability to be a #1 CB. Golson is far too small for that role and is most likely at best a nickel. Gay should be a nickel, Boykin will most likely be gone since he's a FA. Cockrell is good for depth and hopefully Blake is gone.
    I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play!- Jack Lambert

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Why does everyone forget we chose a second round CB last year who hasn't seen the field, but his body of work shows he has the potential to be a very good CB? I wouldn't waste a first round pick on a CB until we know how Golson works out, unless one falls to us as BPA.
    What makes you think Golson will be worth anything?

Second round pick who played zero this year so he'll basically be a rookie at a position that is one of the tougher ones to convert from college to NFL and the talent evaluation of the team that drafted him at that position has been piss poor since about 1987...with a lucky pick in 2003. Absolutely zero reason to put any stock into the fact that he can come in and compete at a high NFL level. There's more evidence that would point to bust than boom...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

id rather not bet on who we currently have. I saw that Golson has pro bowl potential from a lot of draftniks, but he still has boom or bust potential because of his size, and its not like he has the hops based on his combine to compensate (34in. vertical i believe). then again, based on film he does know how to high point a ball, but this is the NFL.

even if Golson pans out, then what? Gay is really good in the slot, and has a long history of being not very good on the outside. Plus he'll be 32 by the start of next season. Tez is going to get cut. Boykin is probably leaving because of all of our bull shit, and if he stays, great...now we have 2 great slot corners (or at the very least he hasnt proven he can play outside yet). Cockrell has potential, but thats it.

Too many question marks for it to be a "waste" to use a 1st rounder at CB
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

We need to draft 2 CBs in 2016.
    All Defense!

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ALLD View Post
    Agreed.

At least 2 if not more.
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerFanInStl View Post
    Because we don't have a single CB on the roster who has the ability to be a #1 CB. Golson is far too small for that role and is most likely at best a nickel. Gay should be a nickel, Boykin will most likely be gone since he's a FA. Cockrell is good for depth and hopefully Blake is gone.
    Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    What makes you think Golson will be worth anything?

Second round pick who played zero this year so he'll basically be a rookie at a position that is one of the tougher ones to convert from college to NFL and the talent evaluation of the team that drafted him at that position has been piss poor since about 1987...with a lucky pick in 2003. Absolutely zero reason to put any stock into the fact that he can come in and compete at a high NFL level. There's more evidence that would point to bust than boom...
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Ward 86 View Post
    id rather not bet on who we currently have. I saw that Golson has pro bowl potential from a lot of draftniks, but he still has boom or bust potential because of his size, and its not like he has the hops based on his combine to compensate (34in. vertical i believe). then again, based on film he does know how to high point a ball, but this is the NFL.

even if Golson pans out, then what? Gay is really good in the slot, and has a long history of being not very good on the outside. Plus he'll be 32 by the start of next season. Tez is going to get cut. Boykin is probably leaving because of all of our bull shit, and if he stays, great...now we have 2 great slot corners (or at the very least he hasnt proven he can play outside yet). Cockrell has potential, but thats it.

Too many question marks for it to be a "waste" to use a 1st rounder at CB
    Quote Originally Posted by ALLD View Post

Every one of these responses proves my point that we SHOULDN'T waste a high draft pick at CB this year. Use it to strengthen another position were we can develop the player. What we need at CB is someone who can fill it now. That means free agency, not the draft.

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

Every one of these responses proves my point that we SHOULDN'T waste a high draft pick at CB this year. Use it to strengthen another position were we can develop the player. What we need at CB is someone who can fill it now. That means free agency, not the draft.
    I'm OK with filling it through free agency but we've never done that in the past. I don't see it happening this year either.

Trumaine Johnson from the Rams will be available and would be a great CB to sign. 6' 2" 208 lbs and 7 Ints this season. Physical at the point of attack and good ball skills.
    I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play!- Jack Lambert

Banned Array title="B&GFever will become famous soon enough">

with the type of money the Steelers normally spend on free agents that is how you end up with Antwon Blake as a starter ...

Golson is to small period to play outside 5'9 187 pounds is what guys like AJ Green eat for breakfast

Senior Member Array title="Steeltreal will become famous soon enough"> Steeltreal's Avatar

I'm OK with filling it through free agency but we've never done that in the past. I don't see it happening this year either.

Trumaine Johnson from the Rams will be available and would be a great CB to sign. 6' 2" 208 lbs and 7 Ints this season. Physical at the point of attack and good ball skills.
    they'd be fools to not prioritize him over Jenkins (the Rams) ,but I'd take either one if we could.
    "It comes with the Territory" - Floyd 'Money' Mayweather

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

I've been saying that since September...they need a few free agents to fill needs/depth on this team.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

Even if Tomlin picks a CB it won't matter. He won't see any playing time. Blake is Tomlin's guy. He will be here for years.
    Hater = Realist

Administrator Array title="Texasteel has a reputation beyond repute"> Texasteel's Avatar

I've been saying for a while now that I think DT or Safety could very well be our 1st pick.

AML

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

What are your opinions on Karl Joseph? I only hear him on this board in passing, no real analysis. Is it bad to add another midget to our legion of midgets? how's his knee doing?
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Banned Array title="B&GFever will become famous soon enough">

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Ward 86 View Post
    What are your opinions on Karl Joseph? I only hear him on this board in passing, no real analysis. Is it bad to add another midget to our legion of midgets? how's his knee doing?
    no idea on how well he is progressing , but he isnt a midget listed at 5'11 200 suspect that really means 5'10 -5'10 1/2 190 ... but he is pound for pound one of the most physical players in this draft ...

I would have no problem spending a 3rd rounder on him and would feel lucky to have him at that point if he is healthy

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Rams consider transition tag for Trumaine Johnson

Posted by Michael David Smith on February 20, 2016

The Los Angeles Rams may use the transition tag to retain cornerback Trumaine Johnson.

Johnson, who had seven interceptions last season, is set to become an unrestricted free agent at the start of the league year. There’s been talk that Johnson could be franchised, but Jim Thomas of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reports that the Rams might place the transition tag, not the franchise tag, on Johnson if the two sides don’t reach a long-term deal.

Like the franchise tag, the transition tag gives a team the right to match an offer one of its free agents signs. So if the Rams put the transition tag on Johnson and he signs with another team, they could choose to keep him by matching the offer. That’s what the Browns did two years ago with center Alex Mack, who signed an offer sheet with the Jaguars that the Browns matched.

For the Rams, the advantage to using the transition tag instead of the franchise tag is that it wouldn’t cost them as much if Johnson ends up signing the tender offer and playing this season on the tag. The franchise tag salary for cornerbacks this season is expected to be $13.7 million, while the transition tag salary for cornerbacks is expected to be $11.7 million.

Last year, one player got the transition tag: Dolphins tight end Charles Clay, who ended up signing an offer sheet with the Bills that the Dolphins declined to match. When a transition tagged player switches teams, the original team does not get draft pick compensation.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...maine-johnson/

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    will this be the year the Steelers pick a CB in the first round?

Mel Kiper NFL Mock Draft 2016: Notable Picks from ESPN Guru's 1st Mock

By Mike Chiari , Featured Columnist Jan 14, 2016

Mel Kiper Jr. is perhaps the most respected NFL draft analyst in the business, which is why the release of his first 2016 mock draft Thursday on ESPN.com feels very much like the official start of draft season.

While the latter portion of the draft order has yet to be determined due to the ongoing NFL playoffs, much of the order is already set in stone, which means most organizations are starting to focus on preparations ahead of April's draft.

A lot will change between now and draft night as players improve or hurt their stock at the NFL Scouting Combine, but the tape generally doesn't lie when it comes to top prospects.

With several months of evaluation still in the offing, here is a rundown of Kiper's first 2016 first-round mock draft, along with a closer look at some of the most intriguing picks.

Mel Kiper's 1st 2016 NFL Mock Draft: Round 1

Pick Team Player
    1 Tennessee Titans Joey Bosa, DE, Ohio State
    2 Cleveland Browns Jared Goff, QB, California
    3 San Diego Chargers Laremy Tunsil, OT, Ole Miss
    4 Dallas Cowboys DeForest Buckner, DE, Oregon
    5 Jacksonville Jaguars Jalen Ramsey, DB, Florida State
    6 Baltimore Ravens Ronnie Stanley, OT, Notre Dame
    7 San Francisco 49ers Laquon Treadwell, WR, Ole Miss
    8 Miami Dolphins Shaq Lawson, DE, Clemson
    9 Tampa Bay Buccaneers Vernon Hargreaves, CB, Florida
    10 New York Giants Myles Jack, LB, UCLA
    11 Chicago Bears Reggie Ragland, LB, Alabama
    12 New Orleans Saints A'Shawn Robinson, DL, Alabama
    13 Philadelphia Eagles Robert Nkemdiche, DL, Ole Miss
    14 Oakland Raiders Jack Conklin, OT, Michigan State
    15 Los Angeles Rams Paxton Lynch, QB, Memphis
    16 Detroit Lions Jarran Reed, DL, Alabama
    17 Atlanta Falcons Kevin Dodd, DE, Clemson
    18 Indianapolis Colts Taylor Decker, OT, Ohio State
    19 Buffalo Bills Jonathan Allen, DE, Alabama
    20 New York Jets Jaylon Smith, LB, Notre Dame
    21 Washington Redskins Mackensie Alexander, CB, Clemson
    22 Houston Texans Carson Wentz, QB, North Dakota State
    23 Minnesota Vikings Josh Doctson, WR, TCU
    24 Cincinnati Bengals Will Fuller, WR, Notre Dame
    25 Pittsburgh Steelers Kendall Fuller, CB, Virginia Tech
    26 Seattle Seahawks Eli Apple, CB, Ohio State
    27 Green Bay Packers Austin Johnson, DT, Penn State
    28 Kansas City Chiefs Kenny Clark, DT, UCLA
    29 Denver Broncos Ezekiel Elliott, RB, Ohio State
    30 Arizona Cardinals Leonard Floyd, OLB, Georgia
    31 Carolina Panthers Emmanuel Ogbah, DE, Oklahoma State
    ESPN.com

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...gurus-1st-mock

Matching positions fairly well even if the name is wrong.

Banned Array title="LloydWoodson is a glorious beacon of light">

Quote Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post
    Even if Tomlin picks a CB it won't matter. He won't see any playing time. Blake is Tomlin's guy. He will be here for years.
    Oops.

Haha. I might have thought the same. His play was cringe worthy but got lots of time.

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

While it usually takes a few years to see how a draft turns out, seeing how much production we are getting from our 2016 draft picks already I am trying to find the quick reads on our draft from earlier this year and this is the first thing I came across.

Burns really wasn't on the radar and while I was glad we picked a defensive back in the first I was concerned we were really reaching.

Looks like the FO may be due some props. It's still early though.
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Artie has played as well, if not better, than any CB drafted this year, despite only starting the last 6 games. IMO he's outplayed them all, including Ramsey.