Thread: The Relentless James Harrison

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

The Relentless James Harrison

The Relentless James Harrison

By Andrea Hangst

In late August of 2014, linebacker James Harrison decided it was time for retirement. At 36 years old and with his "love for the game [not] strong enough to make up for missing one more birthday or first day of school," as he wrote in his announcement on Facebook about his family, it was time to close out his NFL career. But, the twists and turns of Harrison's career had not come to an end.

Now, he's set to match up against the Bengals on Saturday night in Cincinnati as the Steelers make yet another push for a Super Bowl championship.

It hadn't been for Harrison to get to this point. It took years for him to become the All-Pro, Pro Bowl-caliber pass rushing linebacker who defined the Steelers' defense for the better part of a decade. An undrafted free agent from Kent State, Pittsburgh picked Harrison up in 2002, only to cut him in September, re-sign him at the end of the year and eventually cut and re-sign him two more times before the Ravens signed him in 2004. Baltimore then shipped Harrison to NFL Europe's Rhein Fire in Dusseldorf, Germany … a team that eventually released him as well. Harrison thought that his big NFL dream would not go any further than that, according to a later interview with ESPN's Elizabeth Merrill.

His final chance with the Steelers, coming in 2004 thanks to an offseason injury to linebacker Clark Haggans, saw Harrison double down on his efforts to understand and master coordinator Dick LeBeau's complex defense. And once he did, which did take some time, he proved to be one of the team's most formidable forces on that side of the ball. In 2007, he had 8.5 sacks and made a household name for himself after body slamming Ravens safety Ed Reed in a Monday Night Football contest in which he totaled nine tackles, 3.5 sacks, an interception, three forced fumbles, and a fumble recovery. In 2008, he had a career-high 16 sacks, making him the Associated Press' Defensive Player of the Year. Harrison also had an amazing 100-yard interception return in the Super Bowl to help the Steelers defeat the Cardinals. He had 10 sacks in 2009, 10.5 in 2010 and nine in 2011.

But injuries began to mount, including knee surgery in 2012 that cost Harrison the first three games of the season. And the salary cap hit for Pittsburgh became too high in relation to his production. Harrison turned down a pay cut in 2013 to remain with the Steelers and was released, only to spend the season with the Bengals as an outside linebacker in their 4-3 base defense. It was after Cincinnati cut him -- and some time spent thinking about his situation -- that he decided to hang up his cleats, he assumed permanently.

But then something happened. The Steelers were reeling from numerous injuries on defense early in the 2014 season, including a wrist injury suffered by outside linebacker Jarvis Jones, something that left the team thin at the position (which already lacked depth). In addition, veteran cornerback Ike Taylor had a broken forearm, and rookie linebacker Ryan Shazier had a knee injury. Leadership, depth and ferocity were all in short supply. It was time to try to bring Harrison back.

It took some convincing. Now-retired Steelers defensive end Brett Keisel reached out to Harrison about returning. His response? "I'm good. I'm not coming back." But later that day, Harrison called Taylor (who was fresh out of surgery) and told him that if Taylor said Harrison should come back, he would. Harrison was officially un-retired, re-signing with Pittsburgh less than a month after his Facebook announcement. You might remember this terrific Instagram post that accompanied his decision:

to read rest of article:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/relentl...193025110.html

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Re: The Relentless James Harrison

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Steelers reacting to @TribSports story of Burfict said "I hate Pittsburgh." Harrison: "It just means he doesn't like Pittsburgh."

— Mark Kaboly (@MarkKaboly_Trib) January 7, 2016

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

I hope Harrison has a game against the Bengals, akin to the game he had against the Ravens on MNF in 2007.

Then... the following week, a game like he had against the Ravens in the divisional round of the last SuperBowl run.

And... for the AFCCG, choose pretty much any game from the 2008 season.

Finally... why not a repeat of his performance in XLIII (note: his pick-six doesn't have to be a 100-yards).

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    I hope Harrison has a game against the Bengals, akin to the game he had against the Ravens on MNF in 2007.

Then... the following week, a game like he had against the Ravens in the divisional round of the last SuperBowl run.

Finally... why not a repeat of his performance in XLIII (note: his pick-six doesn't have to be a 100-yards).
    I can support this message.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post

He's also going to run the wildcat offense in hopes of meeting Burfict.

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

He needs to play 95% of the snaps. Wasn't the idea to keep him fresh for the post-season? Jarvis Jones needs to sit.
    Hater = Realist

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    He's also going to run the wildcat offense in hopes of meeting Burfict.

Just as long as he doesn't long-snap.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post
    He needs to play 95% of the snaps. Wasn't the idea to keep him fresh for the post-season? Jarvis Jones needs to sit.
    I think that was more of our theory than the coaching staffs...lol.

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    I think that was more of our theory than the coaching staffs...lol.
    that theory actually came from Joey Porter in pre-season:

Joey Porter Wants To Keep James Harrison's Snap Count Down To 25

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2015/05...nt-down-to-25/

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Tomlin said Porter learned his lessons about telling reporters about snap counts. I knew Deebo would play more by now.

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    that theory actually came from Joey Porter in pre-season:

Joey Porter Wants To Keep James Harrison's Snap Count Down To 25

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2015/05...nt-down-to-25/
    But I think we the fans tried to justify it as "saving him" for the playoffs...no?

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    Tomlin said Porter learned his lessons about telling reporters about snap counts. I knew Deebo would play more by now.

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk
    He needs to play 85% of this game today.
    Hater = Realist

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post

Senior Member Array title="smokin3000gt has a reputation beyond repute"> smokin3000gt's Avatar

Do you guys think 92 comes back next year? It just doesn't seem fitting that he's not the sack leader besides that our defense could certainly use his attitude and work ethic.
    Tomlin is that good.

PATRIOTS**

BUNGLES
    Steelers - 18 Bengals - 16 #0in25 #anotherseasonBungled

HTG ¤-

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

He is under contract. He said he wants to. I say they let him since he was so dominant.
    All Defense!

Senior Member Array title="smokin3000gt has a reputation beyond repute"> smokin3000gt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ALLD View Post
    He is under contract. He said he wants to. I say they let him since he was so dominant.
    Cool.. I thought it was a one year deal. I'd love to see him back.
    Tomlin is that good.

PATRIOTS**

BUNGLES

HTG ¤-

Senior Member Array title="Drazo85 has a reputation beyond repute"> Drazo85's Avatar
    Tetris Champion! Jungle Fruit Champion!

Bring him back.

Junior Member Array title="Kanata Steeler is an unknown quantity at this point"> Kanata Steeler's Avatar

Silverback was and still is, a legendary Steeler.

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

I believe that James will be back. As was said, he signed a 2 year contract and he has proven that he can still play.
    I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play!- Jack Lambert

What is he, two sacks away from the franchise record?
    Tomlin is that good.

PATRIOTS**

BUNGLES

HTG ¤-

Hoping he'll be back in 2016.

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

Harrison played well enough down the stretch and he's such a good influence to the young players that it would be foolish not to bring him back when we're so close to a championship.
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

He is just tired and disappointed right now. He has the stamina and strength to do it one more year. Maybe Heath and him make a commitment to retire together after 2016

Sent from my K011 using Tapatalk

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zulater View Post
    Harrison played well enough down the stretch and he's such a good influence to the young players that it would be foolish not to bring him back when we're so close to a championship.
    Yup. You and others called it. I never thought Harrison would be the mentor type. I just assumed his anger and competitive drive would make him one of those that was unable to mentor. Boy, was I wrong.

Anyone else notice that young Jarvis has started to "look" like Harrison in the way he attempts to anchor and then pursue against the run? That alone is worth keeping Harrison around!

Yes, I am bored at work:

jhharrison92$1422 1st cleaning & $433/wk? No windows no chandeliers & nothing higher than a 2step ladder? No thanks @merrymaids!