Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steelers - best team left in the AFC

Senior Member Array title="ETL has a reputation beyond repute"> ETL's Avatar

Steelers - best team left in the AFC

I know this sounds like an odd post after a bad loss at Seatte but I think the Steelers now have the best shot to represent the AFC in the super Bowl.

I had already believed the Steelers were the best playoff capable team outside of the Patriots but with the potential loss of Gronk for the season, I don't see the Pats having enough offense or a good enough defense to get to the SB.

As far as the other teams:

the Broncos: having QB issues-can't see Osweiler leading them to the SB
    the Bengals: can't trust Dalton in the playoffs
    the Colts: QB issues as well
    the Chiefs: beat the Steelers at home but we didn't have Ben
    the Jets: can't trust Fitzpatrick
    the Texans: can't trust Hoyer

Basically the Steelers have the best QB and supporting cast. I know the 6-5 record does not justify my confidence but there is no other offense as high powered as the Steelers and the competition is relatively weak this year.

I pray that our players stay healthy. I don't care if we barely make it to the playoffs with a 9-7 record. As long as the players are healthy - the playoffs are ours to win or lose.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Re: Steelers - best team left in the AFC

This x 1000

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

I agree that the Steelers have as good a chance as anybody if they get there, but they have to make the postseason first.

This season is beginning to have the same feel as 2013, where we win just enough games to give us a mathematical chance in week 17, only to have our hearts ripped out during the very last game of the regular season when someone we need to win/lose doesn't.

Bleedin' the B&G Array title="Steelman has much to be proud of"> Steelman's Avatar

I could feel better about this post if we'd won today, but do agree with you to a certain extent. However, with the way this team mismanages talent and critical situations, who's to say we even get in the playoffs? That's the biting part to me. Yeah, we have the offensive talent to put points on the board, but our defense is a major liability and some of the good performances we saw early in the season from that unit appear to be a mirage.

Regardless of where the Pats end up (I still think they retain the 1 seed) they're gonna be a tough out, particularly if we have to travel to Gillette. Same with Denver, as we saw tonight.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Everyone starts the post-season 0-0. Recent seasons in the NFL have documented time and again that the modern game allows a wildcard team to make deep and championship level play-off run.

Is there a defense in the league that wants to play the Steelers offense when Roethlisberger is healthy? I mean, goodness, he is basically match-up proof at this point. He can drop 300+ on anyone at anytime.

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

The wildcard is the Steelers themselves.

They are their own worst enemy. No doubt the Steelers have the talent and the ability to make some real noise, but the problem is they can't be counted on not to screw things up. The loss to Seattle sums up the Steelers better than any game out there. Play a talented team to the hilt but destroy themselves in critical moments.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Three hands of blackjack. We are one of the only teams with enough offensive capability intact to be sure of representing ourselves well in each of those contests.

However, our defensive backfield is an equally fatal flaw to any problems that those other teams show on offense. The great equalizer. We've got as good a shot as anyone in the field, provided we make the playoffs (which at the moment, we aren't), but I'd hardly call us the favorites. We're one game above .500 and have a knack for soul-crushing miscues this season.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

If the Steelers beat the Colts, the Texans take over the AFC South... which slides the Steelers into the sixth seed.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    If the Steelers beat the Colts, the Texans take over the AFC South... which slides the Steelers into the sixth seed.
    Actually, it's better than 2013 at this point then - we had to have a ridiculous number of things go our way on the last day of the regular season and amazingly they all did until the Chargers/Chiefs game.

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    Actually, it's better than 2013 at this point then - we had to have a ridiculous number of things go our way on the last day of the regular season and amazingly they all did until the Chargers/Chiefs game.
    Yep.

If there were only 2 games left, I'd be worrie. But, with 5 games left, the Steelers are in great shape.

Senior Member Array title="zoneblitzerII will become famous soon enough">

Steelers are fragile mentally. They are weak on the road. They get jittery and make too many mistakes. The best way to win on the road in the postseason is to pack a run game and good defence. The Steelers don't have one of those things outright and don't frankly give a shit about establishing the either. The finesse game will be their downfall. Of the wild cards, I'd put them behind the Chiefs. If they somehow make it to New England, they'll get slaughtered to pieces.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zoneblitzerII View Post
    Steelers are fragile mentally. They are weak on the road. They get jittery and make too many mistakes. The best way to win on the road in the postseason is to pack a run game and good defence. The Steelers don't have one of those things outright and don't frankly give a shit about establishing the either. The finesse game will be their downfall. Of the wild cards, I'd put them behind the Chiefs. If they somehow make it to New England, they'll get slaughtered to pieces.
    When was the last time that was true? 2000? Even the 2005 Steelers team passed on the road 3 times to get a lead and then only ran when the game was no longer in doubt.

The defense part I won't debate you on. But a dominant run game, a stout defense, and winning road playoff games 12-6 is just not going to happen anymore.

Senior Member Array title="StillCurtains is a name known to all">

Quote Originally Posted by ETL View Post
    I know this sounds like an odd post after a bad loss at Seatte but I think the Steelers now have the best shot to represent the AFC in the super Bowl.

I had already believed the Steelers were the best playoff capable team outside of the Patriots but with the potential loss of Gronk for the season, I don't see the Pats having enough offense or a good enough defense to get to the SB.

As far as the other teams:

the Broncos: having QB issues-can't see Osweiler leading them to the SB
    the Bengals: can't trust Dalton in the playoffs
    the Colts: QB issues as well
    the Chiefs: beat the Steelers at home but we didn't have Ben
    the Jets: can't trust Fitzpatrick
    the Texans: can't trust Hoyer

Basically the Steelers have the best QB and supporting cast. I know the 6-5 record does not justify my confidence but there is no other offense as high powered as the Steelers and the competition is relatively weak this year.

I pray that our players stay healthy. I don't care if we barely make it to the playoffs with a 9-7 record. As long as the players are healthy - the playoffs are ours to win or lose.
    We are, but it comes with alot of if's. First off, Tomlin has to get out of his own way and stop making stupid decisions. The fake fg was absolutely stupid. In the beginning of the game your supposed to establish a lead, then attempt to build on it by executing high percentage plays.

You then get more aggressive with your play calling later in the game to close them out. As far as aggressive, attempting a fake fg, especially in the first quarter is not in my playbook. That play to me is just trying to be cute more than anything. You're not going to beat a team like Seattle by being cute.

He's aggressive when he should be conservative and is conservative when he should be aggressive. If your defense is making no stops, and your offense has the ball 4th and goal inside the 5 with a little over 3 minutes left with 2 timeouts, what do you do? You go for it, but Tomlin decides to be conservative at the wrong time and kick a fg. You don't make it, their offense is pinned back and you have 2 timeouts. Very dumb.

Also, the secondary just has to have changes made. Cockrell struggled some but still was mostly in good position. He made a good play on Graham but Graham made a better catch. Blake was terrible all around. He absolutely has to go. They might want to play Golden at Safety or move Grant there as well.

It's really time that Tomlin makes these changes because now, the season is in danger and we can't afford Blake to continue to kill us.

Lastly, Haley... He has got to stop the deep throws on 3rd and short. Missing these low percentage deep passes are killing our drives. There is too much talent on this team to be throwing deep on 3rd and short. You run a high percentage play to get the necessary yardage to extend the drive. You can use first or second down to throw the deep stuff. You don't do this on third down unless absolutely necessary, especially on third and manageable. It leaves points on the field.

I do feel that not only are we the best team in the afc, but the best in football. However, if Tomlin and the coaches don't decide to get their heads out of their behinds, and start making the right decisions and necessary changes, then I hate to say, this team will go nowhere fast. It's got to stop. This team is too good to continue to put them in situations that they can't succeed.

Senior Member Array title="BigBen2004 will become famous soon enough">

Quote Originally Posted by StillCurtains View Post
    We are, but it comes with alot of if's. First off, Tomlin has to get out of his own way and stop making stupid decisions. The fake fg was absolutely stupid. In the beginning of the game your supposed to establish a lead, then attempt to build on it by executing high percentage plays.

You then get more aggressive with your play calling later in the game to close them out. As far as aggressive, attempting a fake fg, especially in the first quarter is not in my playbook. That play to me is just trying to be cute more than anything. You're not going to beat a team like Seattle by being cute.

He's aggressive when he should be conservative and is conservative when he should be aggressive. If your defense is making no stops, and your offense has the ball 4th and goal inside the 5 with a little over 3 minutes left with 2 timeouts, what do you do? You go for it, but Tomlin decides to be conservative at the wrong time and kick a fg. You don't make it, their offense is pinned back and you have 2 timeouts. Very dumb.

Also, the secondary just has to have changes made. Cockrell struggled some but still was mostly in good position. He made a good play on Graham but Graham made a better catch. Blake was terrible all around. He absolutely has to go. They might want to play Golden at Safety or move Grant there as well.

It's really time that Tomlin makes these changes because now, the season is in danger and we can't afford Blake to continue to kill us.

Lastly, Haley... He has got to stop the deep throws on 3rd and short. Missing these low percentage deep passes are killing our drives. There is too much talent on this team to be throwing deep on 3rd and short. You run a high percentage play to get the necessary yardage to extend the drive. You can use first or second down to throw the deep stuff. You don't do this on third down unless absolutely necessary, especially on third and manageable. It leaves points on the field.

I do feel that not only are we the best team in the afc, but the best in football. However, if Tomlin and the coaches don't decide to get their heads out of their behinds, and start making the right decisions and necessary changes, then I hate to say, this team will go nowhere fast. It's got to stop. This team is too good to continue to put them in situations that they can't succeed.
    This Steelers team is not the best in the league. Their pass defense is as atrocious as it was last year, if not worse. The only thing that was masking it was forcing turnovers. Didn't force any today, and the opposing team had a field day.

With our conference record, if we don't win out, or go at LEAST 4-1, they're not even going to get a ticket to the big dance.
    First move, Boykin over Blake.

Well there you have it... Array title="NCSteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> NCSteeler's Avatar

Really. This defense just made Russell look like Dan Marino almost the yards they give up finally came with touchdowns attached. The team looked limit quit late I t the game. The play calling on the final field goal was mind numbing throwing to the end zone like it was 20 seconds left. This team will be lucky to squeak into the playoffs let alone beat anyone

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
    Merry Christmas

Senior Member Array title="Drazo85 has a reputation beyond repute"> Drazo85's Avatar
    Tetris Champion! Jungle Fruit Champion!

This Steelers team is capable destroying any team on the field including themselves.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Steelers - best team left in the AFC

Quote Originally Posted by BigBen2004 View Post
    This Steelers team is not the best in the league. Their pass defense is as atrocious as it was last year, if not worse. The only thing that was masking it was forcing turnovers. Didn't force any today, and the opposing team had a field day.

With our conference record, if we don't win out, or go at LEAST 4-1, they're not even going to get a ticket to the big dance.
    First move, Boykin over Blake.
    This. As good as the offense is, at times, yesterday, they aren't good enough to overcome the atrocity that is the Steelers pass defense. Has a team with the worst pass defense in the league ever won or at least gotten to the Super Bowl? I have no idea...

The initial reports are that the knee injury to Gronk isn't serious?

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

1 at a time Array title="Count Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Count Steeler's Avatar

1.) We have one of the best offenses in the league and we can hang 30 on almost anyone.

2.) We have a porous swiss cheese secondary that could allow any offense to hang 35 on us.

If 2 does not get addressed and Butler does not come up with in game adjustments, 1 won't matter. It will just be frustrating loss after frustrating loss. Yeah, we will get those weeks where the opposing offense can't get out of their own way and help our D. It still boggles my mind that Cleveland had 372 yards in the air and only 9 points. Don't know if any other team could match that feat. Wilson only had 345 yards in comparison, but the goal line had more tackles than all but 3 Steelers. You have to keep the goal line to 1 or 2 tackles a game. Not 5.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

The Broncos have a defense that can stop the Steelers offense. They have an offense that could beat the Steelers defense. Especially if the game is in Denver.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="plenewken will become famous soon enough">

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    But, with 5 games left, the Steelers are in great shape.
    .............to finish 9-7 and miss the playoffs.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Defense wins championships and this defense couldn't stop a nosebleed. If they make the playoffs (and that's a huge if), they will probably be the wrst defense in the AFC playoffs, a recipe for disaster.

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

This team isn't going anywhere without changes being made in the secondary. Boykin needs to start over Blake and I'd also consider Golden at SS over Allen.
    I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play!- Jack Lambert

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerFanInStl View Post
    This team isn't going anywhere without changes being made in the secondary. Boykin needs to start over Blake and I'd also consider Golden at SS over Allen.
    This

Well there you have it... Array title="NCSteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> NCSteeler's Avatar

I thought they played well the weeks Allen was out. I actually thought Golden would stay in when Allen returned but I forgot about coach overly loyal cool shades.
    Merry Christmas

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

[QUOTE]If 2 does not get addressed and Butler does not come up with in game adjustments, 1 won't matter. It will just be frustrating loss after frustrating loss. Yeah, we will get those weeks where the opposing offense can't get out of their own way and help our D.

It still boggles my mind that Cleveland had 372 yards in the air and only 9 points. Don't know if any other team could match that feat. Wilson only had 345 yards in comparison, but the goal line had more tackles than all but 3 Steelers.
    Cleveland was down most of the game and threw a lot.

Russell Wilson had ridiculously short fields coming off of Steeler turnovers. By the Offense by the way. Funny you forget that little detail.

Before you start lambasting the Defense for everything and absolving the Offense, take a look over at the other side of the ball, who turned the ball over four times. Seattle just took advantages of the opportunities they were given. 19 points off of Steelers turnovers. True to form, the Steelers killed themselves more than the Seahawks did.

The problem with our Steelers isn't just one thing, it's many things at once. You are not going to win many football games back -4 in the turnover margin. It was a complete team loss yesterday. Offense has shit ball security, and the Defense couldn't stop anyone.

Senior Member Array title="plenewken will become famous soon enough">

[QUOTE=Edman;523127]

The problem with our Steelers isn't just one thing, it's many things at once. You are not going to win many football games back -4 in the turnover margin. It was a complete team loss yesterday. Offense has shit ball security, and the Defense couldn't stop anyone.
    +1000. People seem to forget that the O turned the ball over FOUR TIMES, 2 for Ben and 2 for Jones. You can't do that even against the Browns, let alone against the Seahawks.

The best team in football? Wow. No wonder everyone freaks out when the Steelers lose if that is your mental starting point.

Also, what "in game adjustments" could Butler make? Make Will Allen faster in the player editor? Make Cockerell taller? Make Shazier not glass?

I think we need to start accepting that there are questionable coaching decisions and actions with the Steelers, like any team, but there is also a glaring lack of talent on defense across the back 4. Coming in to this season most impartial observers thought it was one of the 5 worst secondaries in the league. For the first 8-9 weeks, Butler made "adjustments" that masked that. Now teams have countered those adjustments and I'm not sure there is much else that can be done.

Senior Member Array title="BnG_Hevn has much to be proud of"> BnG_Hevn's Avatar
    Battleball Champion!

They may have the best team, but play-calling is atrocious at times.
    “They say all marriages are made in heaven, but so are thunder and lightning.”
    ― Clint Eastwood

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

Well, Gronk will probable be fine according to reports. The Steelers definately have one of the top offenses in the league so maybe if they actually decide to tweak the def backfield a bit this week we could see an improvement there. (One can hope right?) One thing is we better lock Spence up soon, because I can see him playing a lot behind Shazier (I prefer Spence over Williams). Maybe we can use Williams for trade bait to either move up in the draft or for an average CB (which would then be our top CB). I don't think Denver's Def can stop our offense, just like I didn't think Seattle's def could either. We are simply too deep for anyone to stop us, we are the ones who are going to stop ourselves.

Senior Member Array title="zoneblitzerII will become famous soon enough">

Quote Originally Posted by StillCurtains View Post

I agree with everything you said right up to best in football. Nowhere close to that. Still lots of work to be done.