Thread: Tony Dungy: The most memorable emergency QB of all time

Bleedin' the B&G Array title="Steelman has much to be proud of"> Steelman's Avatar

Tony Dungy: The most memorable emergency QB of all time

I normally would avoid posting an article from ESPN, but I thought this was a cool story that I'd only vaguely known about before.

Terry Bradshaw broke his wrist in the first quarter. Backup Mike Kruczek separated a shoulder on the final play of the third quarter. And suddenly, on a fall afternoon in October 1977, the Pittsburgh Steelers were all out of quarterbacks.

Tony Dungy, a rookie safety for the Steelers at the time, was sitting on the bench at that moment...

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/po...qb-of-all-time

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Re: Tony Dungy: The most memorable emergency QB of all time

Good story. Never realized that Dungy was a Steelers "QB".

Steelers have been close to emergency status this year. I don't want to see it, but I'm curious how Heath Miller would handle it...lol.

I think Brian Mitchell is the most famous emergency QB from what I can recall. I vaguely remember Payton doing it, but Inremember Mitchell like it was yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Re: Tony Dungy: The most memorable emergency QB of all time

Dungy played QB at U of Minnesota in college. I forgot about that.

He became an asst. coach fairly quickly