Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best individual game in Steeler history.Nominations needed.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Re: Best individual game in Steeler history.Nominations needed.

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    I'd vote for that one and I'd mention his game beofore that against the Oilers as one of the better individual performances out there. Not so much on the stat sheet but if you watched the game, Hoge took that game over. Those combined performances by Hoge in the Broncos and Oilers games is one of the better two game performances that has been excited by a Steelers player. Probably not the best, but it's in the conversation of two game performances.
    This.

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    I'd vote for that one and I'd mention his game beofore that against the Oilers as one of the better individual performances out there. Not so much on the stat sheet but if you watched the game, Hoge took that game over. Those combined performances by Hoge in the Broncos and Oilers games is one of the better two game performances that has been excited by a Steelers player. Probably not the best, but it's in the conversation of two game performances.
    Rod Woodson had a tremendous game in that game against the Oilers too.
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

Original Member Array title="steelerdude15 has a brilliant future"> steelerdude15's Avatar

There are so many great individual performances throughout the years, but I would have to say Ben's game against the Colts last year.

Ben also had a great game against the Packers in 2009 where he threw for 500 yards and threw a touchdown pass to Mike Wallace on the last play of the game.

Throwback Thursday: Steelers QB Ben Roethlisberger's 503-yard game against the Packers in 2009

Not many quarterbacks can say they've thrown for 500 yards in a game. To be quite honest, only 15 quarterbacks in NFL history can say they are in the '500 Club'. Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger is a member of the club, and the only quarterback in NFL history who has thrown for over 500 yards twice in his career.

For this Throwback Thursday we trek back to 2009 when Roethlisberger entered the '500 Club' with a gem of a performance against the Green Bay Packers at Heinz Field.

If you recall, in 2009 the Steelers were struggling. They had just lost 5 games in a row when the Packers came to town looking to eliminate them from any hope of them making the postseason, and if it weren't for Roethlisberger, Aaron Rodgers and the Packers would have done just that.

Read More: http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com...-503-yard-game

There was a video of his highlights from that game, but the video on Youtube has been blocked.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zulater View Post
    If it wasn't for him, they may not have won that game. In today's game, he may not have played that game. Coming off of the flu and a concussion a couple days before.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Godfather has a brilliant future">

Quote Originally Posted by steelerdude15 View Post
    Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger is a member of the club, and the only quarterback in NFL history who has thrown for over 500 yards twice in his career.
    That part is outdated. Breesus had his second 500-yard game against the Giants a few weeks ago.

1 at a time Array title="Count Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Count Steeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
    That part is outdated. Breesus had his second 500-yard game against the Giants a few weeks ago.
    Ben has 3 now.

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by Count Steeler View Post
    Ben has 3 now.
    no

Senior Member Array title="Steelermania is a jewel in the rough">

The last two games by Antonio Brown brought this subject to my mind. That and it's a bye week and I wanted something besides another Boykin thread to occupy my SU posting time.

Anyway where I want to go with this thread is I want nominations of the most dominant Steeler individual performances for a single game from your perspective. Offense, defense, special teams. Old school, modern, somewhere in between, wherever you want to take it. I give this thread over to the board. Maybe at some point we can make a list and vote? Ok that's kind of corny, but regardless let's kick this thing off.

Since I'm old I'm going old school. The most dominant game I ever saw by a Steeler was a 1972 regular season game by Joe Greene against the then Houston Oilers.

In a Dec. 10, 1972, game against the Houston Oilers in the Astrodome, the Steelers clinched their first division title under Chuck Noll because of the dominance, greatness and willpower of Greene, the cornerstone of the Steel Curtain defense that would dominate the 1970s.

In a game in which the Steelers were ravaged by the flu and injuries, including the loss of quarterback Terry Bradshaw, Greene single-handedly shut down the Oilers with a club-record five sacks, a blocked field goal, a forced fumble and a recovered fumble in a 9-3 victory.

"That performance was truly outstanding," said former linebacker Andy Russell, one of the few healthy players in that game. "Joe Greene, at any time, could rise to a level that was incomprehensible to all of us."

Greene put on one of the greatest one-man shows against the Oilers, who were 1-11 and trying to prevent the Steelers from winning the first of their seven division titles in the '70s.

Defensive end L.C. Greenwood and guard Sam Davis did not play and tackles Jon Kolb and Gerry Mullins had the flu. Bradshaw, wide receiver Ron Shanklin, guard Bruce Van Dyke, guard Jim Clack and defensive end Craig Hanneman, Greenwood's backup -- were injured in the game and did not return.

Defensive end Dwight White and defensive tackle Steve Furness were injured during the game, but they kept playing because the Steelers were running out of bodies. It was so bad tight end Larry Brown, who would eventually grow into an offensive tackle, had to play flanker against the Oilers.

"We needed the game to keep us in the race for the division championship," Greene said the other day. "We were definitely in dire straits because we lost Bradshaw and some of our offensive lineman. And we were having a terrible time of trying to score."

But there was Greene, a No. 1 draft choice in 1969, making sure the Oilers didn't score.

After sacking quarterback Dan Pastorini twice in the second quarter, Greene blocked a 25-yard field-goal attempt by kicker Skip Butler at the end of the first half to keep the score tied, 3-3.

After kicker Roy Gerela gave the Steelers a 6-3 lead with a 39-yard field goal in the third quarter, Greene tackled running back Fred Willis for a 12-yard loss, causing a fumble. Greene recovered at Houston's 13, leading to Gerela's third field goal.

"What I remember is Joe came in the huddle and said, 'I'm taking the ball away from them on this play,' " Russell said. "No one ever said anything like that in a huddle. Then, there's a bang and a crash, and he's holding the ball. That's why I always said he was the player of the decade."

The performance was so dominating it was almost as if Greene picked up his injured, ailing teammates in his arms and carried them to victory

"We were all aware of the defensive urgency," Greene said. "You have the state of mind to do whatever you can to win the game."

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/s...s/200711100202

To save keystrokes I copy and pasted a related article, but I do remember this game very well. I was just 12 at the time and I was living in Ocala Florida at the time, so I didn't get to see many Steeler games on tv. But because of Franco the Steeler became relevant that year, and I'm guessing either the Dolphins played on Monday night that week or were facing an NFC visiting team. ( living in Florida that was always the game televised on NBC the AFC's network of the era) But for whatever reason the game was on in Florida. And as the story states the Steelers playoff hopes very much stll up in the air at the time. Anyway Joe Greene just dominated that game like he was a man playing against school children. I've never seen a defensive player take a game over like Joe did that day, before or since. Every play he would beat a double team and be waiting for Pastorini to hand off or drop back. I'll bet Dan still has nightmares about that game.

OK now I want to see some good nominations by you guys.

And even though I'm not a moderator here I suggest a month ban for the first person who nominates Charlie Batch's all time QBR record setting game against the Bucs.

The threads yours.....
    This is the first thing that came to mind when I saw this thread. Terry Hanratty was also injured, and Joe Gilliam, then a rookie, had to come in. Myron Cope said it was the greatest performance he ever saw in any football game. Those who are too young to have seen Joe Greene during the first 6 years of his career will never truly understand how dominant he was. As great as Lambert, Blount, Woodson, Troy, and Harrison were, they have to stand in line behind Joe Greene.

You know, what really put the team over the top, was that Lambert came in, and he had the identical disposition as Joe Greene. Both absolutely hated to lose with a passion. Putting two of those on the same team just made the Steeler defense insane.

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steelermania View Post
    This is the first thing that came to mind when I saw this thread. Terry Hanratty was also injured, and Joe Gilliam, then a rookie, had to come in. Myron Cope said it was the greatest performance he ever saw in any football game. Those who are too young to have seen Joe Greene during the first 6 years of his career will never truly understand how dominant he was. As great as Lambert, Blount, Woodson, Troy, and Harrison were, they have to stand in line behind Joe Greene.

You know, what really put the team over the top, was that Lambert came in, and he had the identical disposition as Joe Greene. Both absolutely hated to lose with a passion. Putting two of those on the same team just made the Steeler defense insane.
    Glad I'm not the only one old enough to remember Mean Joe at his best. He was still great after 74, but never as great as he was was from 69-74. He was every bit as great as Reggie White or any other defensive lineman of any era. Fast, powerful, smart, angry and skilled. What a player.
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

Banned Array title="TeeTee is a glorious beacon of light">

His hard hit on White forced a turnover and won the game in OT, if I recall correctly. It was a courageous hit, as White had size on Rod.