Thread: The whole refugees thing (and politics in general)

Senior Member Array title="salamander has a reputation beyond repute">

The whole refugees thing (and politics in general)

It wasn't until about this year that I really started to follow politics (I'm 26yo and have always hated politics). I've been reading a LOT regarding this Syrian refugee situation. Am I warranted in saying that I'm legitimately scared about this whole thing? I know there's a lot more going on, but this has me truthfully nervous (whether or not my fears are warranted is what is on my mind.)

But back to politics in general, even though the topic itself still tends to be boring to me, I find myself in more and more politically motivated conversations now. I share (and disagree) with views from both sides so it always makes for interesting conversations.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Re: The whole refugees thing (and politics in general)

Quote Originally Posted by salamander View Post
    Am I warranted in saying that I'm legitimately scared about this whole thing? I know there's a lot more going on, but this has me truthfully nervous (whether or not my fears are warranted is what is on my mind.)
    Yes, I think fear over this situation is absolutely warranted. One thing I've noticed about Middle Eastern Muslims moving en masse into a Western society is that they DO NOT assimilate.

Another grave mistake of Obama's is when he displays his pie-in-the-sky, let's-all-sing-Kumbaya worldview by continually mentioning the "values we all share." Uh, there are a LOT of people in this world that don't share the same values as Western societies. Just ask a few of the "refugees" how they feel about homosexuals and equality for women, for example.

Senior Member Array title="Drazo85 has a reputation beyond repute"> Drazo85's Avatar
    Tetris Champion! Jungle Fruit Champion!

I would like to correct both of you if I can? Hope you don't mind.
    They are not refugees, they are immigrants, illegal immigrants to be precise. I know it's war in Syria, and most of these people are Syrians, but there are also immigrants from Pakistan, Bangladesh, Afghanistan, Iraq, Nigeria, Somalia, Libya, etc.
    As I mentioned before, they are mostly male from 15,16- 55, 60 years old. All of them are capable carrying a rifle and shoot at people. Some of them are terrorist disguised as common human beings.
    What I don't understand is how come the males are fleeding the country, running away from war and women and children aren't. What father leaves his familly in a war zone and comes to Europe searching for a better life or maybe planning to blow himself up in the air. You're right. They do not asimmilate, they alienate themselves further from the people whose country they invaded. Muslim societies in Europe are practically self imposed ghettos. Even the police can't get in some of these, not to mention other people. They don't cooperate, they are tough to communicate, and they see everybody who doesn't share their views and beliefs as outsiders and possible enemies. Of course not all of them are like that, but majority is.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Drazo85 View Post
    I would like to correct both of you if I can? Hope you don't mind. They are not refugees, they are immigrants, illegal immigrants to be precise.
    Correction duly noted. I have added quotes to "refugees" in my post above.

Senior Member Array title="salamander has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    Correction duly noted. I have added quotes to "refugees" in my post above.
    Yepp, can't disagree.

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

IMO it is recklessly irresponsible to ship these people over here when there is no way to positively screen them. 10,000 Syrians means that even if your screening process is 99.9% effective, you're still importing 10 ISIS terrorists. And of course there is no way to insure that level of effectiveness. Even the folks in charge of screening them will tell you that.
    Having said that... The relative danger of bringing these people in is pretty negligible if you've been paying attention to how ISIS operates. They are *already* here. Maybe hundreds, maybe thousands.
    The good news is that America has a large percentage of the population who walk around armed. The bad guys found that out the hard way in Garland, TX. Americans shoot back.
    I am personally not worried about terrorists. I can defend myself and so can everyone I care about and besides... there's nothing of interest to them where I live. But there will be terrorist attacks resulting from this. You can take that to the bank.

Best,
    -Slashy
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

Quest For Seven Array title="Mach1 has a reputation beyond repute"> Mach1's Avatar

Give a lib a fish--he eats for a day

Teach a lib to fish--he is back the next day asking for more free fish.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Senior Member Array title="TD's & Beer has a brilliant future"> TD's & Beer's Avatar

The majority of Americans say the country is at war with radical Islamic terrorism

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefi...amic-terrorism

----------------------

Mali Hotel Attack: US Citizen Among 27 Dead

DAKAR, Senegal — Heavily armed gunmen shouting “Allahu akbar” stormed a Radisson Blu hotel Friday morning in Bamako, the capital of the West African nation of Mali, seizing scores of hostages and leaving bodies strewn across the building.

The gunmen barreled past the hotel’s light security early in the morning, confusing guards with fake diplomatic license plates, and then burst into its glass-door lobby with their guns blazing.

“They started firing everywhere,” said a receptionist at the hotel who spoke on the condition of anonymity for fear of reprisals.

“They were shouting, ‘Allahu akbar.’ They cut someone’s throat, a white man.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/21/wo...sson.html?_r=0

------------------------

Not a peep from Obama. CNN still refuses to say "radical Islamic terrorists" ......it's "the gunmen"

Or maybe they should be called globalwarming terrorists, after all, that's the biggest threat to America, dontchaknow

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

And Mali has nothing to do with the USA and everything with Islamic extremists. Muslims have been hijacked by extremists who are ruling their religion in a religious war against the west. Only one way to deal with them.
    All Defense!

Senior Member Array title="TD's & Beer has a brilliant future"> TD's & Beer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ALLD View Post
    Only one way to deal with them.
    I agree

Let's get this Holy War thing going - draft, no college deferrements - see how they whine then with no safe spaces

Lest we forget, it was President Bush who pushed the idea that we are not at war with Islam, or in a holy war. Personally, I'm glad the press isn't presented it that way, because that's exactly what the terrorists want. To label as a war against Islam, or as a Holy War threatened to push more and more Muslims into the arms of ISIS/Al Qaeda, etc; it would radicalize the Islamic world in ways we haven't even imagined yet. And no, that is not a good thing, seeing as a radicalized Islamic world has the ability to choke the worlds economy and bring most of its armed forces to their knees (outside of the nuclear powered navies).

So, call them what they are - don't refer to their religion, or their heritage. They're simply criminals. Terrorists. Saying anything more legitimizes them and begins the norming of their actions among others who hold their faith, and that's the worst way to go about it.

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

We have to go out of our way to use the word "radical" when identifying the enemy and go out of our way to identify the actual peaceful Muslim community. (yes, it does exist). The left wants to leave out that particular word the same way they leave off the word "illegal" when talking about immigration to make the right wing look crazy and hard hearted. "We are not at war with Islam and our country was built by immigrants!" What a difference those two little words make when actually used in context.

There are no red headed Irishmen involved in these terror plots. They are all hijacking Islam to do their evil. Every. Single. One. Of. Them.

I work for a Muslim doctor. His parents legally immigrated to the United States from India in the 60's and raised their family here. Both his mom and dad are doctors and so is his wife. My doc is one of the kindest and most intelligent human beings I have ever met. When patients ask where he was born, he smiles and says "Toledo, Ohio". I can't imagine what it is like for them to try and raise their own children in their faith and protect them from radical influences as well as racial and religious prejudice in this current environment.

That being said, I simply don't trust this administration to properly vet the refugees. All I ask is that we stop and properly put the extreme safety measures in place before we let even a single one of them in this country. This president simply refuses to work together with both sides and do this right. He just wants his own way, and uses it yet again to demonize his political enemies.

About that Northern Wall...

Canada to fly in 900 Syrian refugees a day: reports

Ottawa (AFP) - Canada plans to fly in 900 Syrian refugees a day as of next month, according to media reports, as the defense minister said showing compassion for these people sends a message to Islamic State extremists.

http://news.yahoo.com/canada-fly-900...7718.html?nf=1

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

It has already been reported that Tim Horton's Donuts is changing it's name to Tim Horton's Falafal.
    All Defense!

Quest For Seven Array title="Mach1 has a reputation beyond repute"> Mach1's Avatar

A libtard conundrum

Give a lib a fish--he eats for a day

Teach a lib to fish--he is back the next day asking for more free fish.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ