Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 6-4 at the bye week.

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

6-4 at the bye week.

It may be the Browns, but today was a huge win. Steelers pick up a division win.

Some ups, some downs, but can't complain, considering how this stressful and unlucky season has transpired. Six games to go.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Re: 6-4 at the bye week.

Manziel tearing up the defense was a downer. But Ben and the offense looked great. 2 weeks to prepare for Seattle at their place.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="lipps83 has a reputation beyond repute"> lipps83's Avatar

I hate to say it, but the offense seems to run so much better without Bell. If they could run this offense the way they do without Bell, with Bell, they would be unstoppable. Instead they try to force it more than they probably should towards Bell when he is in there. With Williams there, the pass game is the pass game and the run game is the run game. With Bell, it was a clusterf**k this year.

33 ppg without Bell. 19 ppg with Bell. 4 of those games were without Ben, but the 2 games with Ben they barely cracked 10 ppg.

I love Bell and think he is probably the best back in the league, but the team can survive without him.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lipps83 View Post
    I hate to say it, but the offense seems to run so much better without Bell. If they could run this offense the way they do without Bell, with Bell, they would be unstoppable. Instead they try to force it more than they probably should towards Bell when he is in there. With Williams there, the pass game is the pass game and the run game is the run game. With Bell, it was a clusterf**k this year.

33 ppg without Bell. 19 ppg with Bell. 4 of those games were without Ben, but the 2 games with Ben they barely cracked 10 ppg.

I love Bell and think he is probably the best back in the league, but the team can survive without him.
    I don't think Bell is necessarily the best back in the league. I think he's good. I think he's great in Haley's system...sometimes I think he's more a product of the system than the best back in the league.

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Manziel tearing up the defense was a downer. But Ben and the offense looked great. 2 weeks to prepare for Seattle at their place.
    9 points given up all day. The Defense bent but never broke.

Quote Originally Posted by Edman View Post
    9 points given up all day. The Defense bent but never broke.
    True...but the Browns more hurt themselves with penalties and dropped passes more so than the Steelers Defense stopping them on a few occasions. Against a better team, that showing wouldn't have been nearly as good IMO.

Senior Member Array title="lipps83 has a reputation beyond repute"> lipps83's Avatar

Yeah, Manziel almost finished the day at 80% completion rate if it had not been for the last drive. It has been a problem all season and preseason. Heck, the Bills backups had over 95% completion percentage in the preseason against the defense.

They can't ignore the secondary any longer. Each position needs to be addressed in the offseason, and that is both starting corners too.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't think Bell is necessarily the best back in the league. I think he's good. I think he's great in Haley's system...sometimes I think he's more a product of the system than the best back in the league.
    Certainly a bit of both. I think the passing game is much smoother without Bell. With Bell it seems they try to force him in.

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

Yeah, Manziel almost finished the day at 80% completion rate if it had not been for the last drive. It has been a problem all season and preseason. Heck, the Bills backups had over 95% completion percentage in the preseason against the defense.

They can't ignore the secondary any longer. Each position needs to be addressed in the offseason, and that is both starting corners too.

- - - Updated - - -

Certainly a bit of both. I think the passing game is much smoother without Bell. With Bell it seems they try to force him in.
    We have a better coverage CB but he sits on the bench every game.
    I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play!- Jack Lambert

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

That's not Bell's fault - that is squarely on the OC. Personally, I hope the rumor of the Dolphins hiring Haley to be their next HC turns out to be true, because I feel we could do a lot better.

Oh, and he can feel free to take Danny Smith with him as well.

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

It seems Hayley also interferes in Ben's passing game. Just let Ben call most of the plays and see what happens.
    All Defense!

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

I think that's about the most far off it's possible to be with a comment. We got to see exactly one quarter of Bell-kun with the full-strength offense. Three quarters total with Ben in the lineup. Things were fine.

The problem is that with anyone other than a 100% Ben at QB, the only offense we run is the Haley Turtle. And since the entire premise of that offense is telegraphed running plays and telegraphed bubble screens, then yeah, almost every time Bell touched the ball we were forcing it. Brown too, but you didn't see anyone complaining about him messing the offense.

It wasn't Bell, it was the turtle. Frankly I'm amazed he did as well as he did while Ben was out. If we tried that shit during the Willie Parker days, it would've been 19 carries for 21 yards every game, and we would've lost all four of them and been out of the playoff race. Bell was just as good as ever, and the #1 most important thing we did was get a competent backup who's not a piece of shit.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Currently have the no. 5 seed. Let's hope we keep this up and most of all avoid injuries

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    Currently have the no. 5 seed. Let's hope we keep this up and most of all avoid injuries
    5 seed is where you want to be. Traveling to Indianapolis...ill take that everyday...

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerFanInStl View Post
    We have a better coverage CB but he sits on the bench every game.

Well, he's not going to be here next season after the pseudo-doghouse bullshit, so that puts us right back to square one. Hopefully Golson is actually worthwhile, though I certainly wouldn't mind us bringing in more help. The only CB I can say for certain I'd want to keep is Gay, and even that only in a limited role.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

There's always the question of how one's production is helped by those surrounding them. However, things like Bell's vision, his ability to cut, his ability to make people miss, and his route running has little or nothing to do with those who surround him. If he went to the Browns, let's say, I don't think he remains the best back in the league, but I do believe he remains one of the top 5-7.

- - - Updated - - -

There's always the question of how one's production is helped by those surrounding them. However, things like Bell's vision, his ability to cut, his ability to make people miss, and his route running has little or nothing to do with those who surround him. If he went to the Browns, let's say, I don't think he remains one of the best 2-3 backs in the league, but I do believe he remains one of the top 5-7.

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

6-4 at the bye week.

The way Denvers off is looking I am certainly not worried about that game. They may not win another game.

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    Well, he's not going to be here next season after the pseudo-doghouse bullshit, so that puts us right back to square one. Hopefully Golson is actually worthwhile, though I certainly wouldn't mind us bringing in more help. The only CB I can say for certain I'd want to keep is Gay, and even that only in a limited role.
    You're right, he won't be here next year. I'm sure that Blake will remain the starter no matter what and we'll be destined to continue to give up huge amounts of yardage to crappy QBs like Manziel.
    I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play!- Jack Lambert

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rotorhead View Post
    The way Denvers off is looking I am certainly not worried about that game. They may not win another game.
    Manning's done.

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

Yeah, terrible call by Elway to switch coaches IMHO

The schedule is looking easier than it was...

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

5 seed is where you want to be. Traveling to Indianapolis...ill take that everyday...
    Indianapolis or Denver,I will be happy with it

But it is a very frustrating season....Injury after injury after injury

It's ridiculous

Yeah, Manziel almost finished the day at 80% completion rate if it had not been for the last drive.
    9 points.

It has been a problem all season and preseason.
    Only one team was able to hang 30+ on the Steelers this year. If it were so easy to put points on this Steelers defense, teams would be doing it week after week.

Heck, the Bills backups had over 95% completion percentage in the preseason against the defense.
    This isn't preseason.

Fair enough, there's always room to improve, but the Defense is more than good enough to help this team win.

Johnny Foosball can throw for 500 yards and I still wouldn't care.

9 points.
    But the Steelers were lucky in defense today.

The pass defense has been horrible.

Bleedin' the B&G Array title="Steelman has much to be proud of"> Steelman's Avatar

Johnny Foosball can throw for 500 yards and I still wouldn't care.

9 points.
    Exactly.

Butler's magic number is 17 points. The defense let him down in that regard last week against Oakland, but they certainly made up for it today.

True...but the Browns more hurt themselves with penalties and dropped passes more so than the Steelers Defense stopping them on a few occasions. Against a better team, that showing wouldn't have been nearly as good IMO.
    If Cleveland put up 30 effortlessly today, then you could have a point. The Defense didn't have a good game.

But they only got 9. I don't care how, why or what. The Defense surrendered a ton of yards, but always stopped Cleveland when they had to.

Like I said, Manziel can throw for 500 and I wouldn't care. He was held off the scoreboard.

You don't win/lose games by who puts up the most yardage, who wins the game is who scores the most points. Cleveland got 9.

But the Steelers were lucky in defense today. The pass defense has been horrible.
    So lucky and so horrible they gave up 9 points. 6 off of a very short field after a Ben INT.

Senior Member Array title="Godfather has a brilliant future">

I think a wild card is pretty much in the bag. The Steelers have the head to head on the other contenders and there are a lot of bad teams who won't even come close.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

the defense allowed the Brownies just 15 rushing yards today!

If Cleveland put up 30 effortlessly today, then you could have a point. The Defense didn't have a good game.

But they only got 9. I don't care how, why or what. The Defense surrendered a ton of yards, but always stopped Cleveland when they had to.

Like I said, Manziel can throw for 500 and I wouldn't care. He was held off the scoreboard.

You don't win/lose games by who puts up the most yardage, who wins the game is who scores the most points. Cleveland got 9.

So lucky and so horrible they gave up 9 points. 6 off of a very short field after a Ben INT.
    The Browns are a 2-8 team. They probably couldn't have scored 20 points if we only put 10 defenders on the field the entire game. This complacency is why the defense is in the shape that it is in. It was ignored for years because, Dick Lebeau. Lebeau would fix it every one kept saying. Guess what, he didn't. Butler has done an awesome job with the mess that was left for him though, I give him that.

The defense got chewed up by Johnny Manziel. Johnny Manziel.

A semi decent QB can, and do have field days against this defense.

They held the Browns to 9 points though, so why bother? Let's just keep doing the same thing that hasn't been working, that's how you fix it I guess because they held the Browns (of all teams) to 9 points?

Like the Browns are an offensive juggernaut.

Record setting offensive juggernaut Browns are in town, look out. 28th overall ppg offense is coming to play, better watch out. If you hold them to 9 points, it's a good day.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Wait...

Bell sucks???

Only giving up 9 points is a "bad" game?????