Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Steelers’ Boykin: I’d love to be playing

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Re: Steelers’ Boykin: I’d love to be playing

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Yeah I posted that list somewhere else. No one thought Brice McCain would help last season and he did. I'd rather sign a veteran that is somewhat productive and consistent than what is going on there now...
    McCain and Blake are the same guy. Guys that you sign off the scrap heap for next to nothing. Look serviceable to useful in limited exposure. Then when you stick them in the line-up and they get asked to play 75 %+ of the defensive snaps, you can see why they were on the scrap heap to begin with.

That list is full of guys like that. Sure, anyone is better than Blake at this point, but not for big Brandon Browner FA dollars.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    McCain and Blake are the same guy. Guys that you sign off the scrap heap for next to nothing. Look serviceable to useful in limited exposure. Then when you stick them in the line-up and they get asked to play 75 %+ of the defensive snaps, you can see why they were on the scrap heap to begin with.

That list is full of guys like that. Sure, anyone is better than Blake at this point, but not for big Brandon Browner FA dollars.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post

My preferred scapegoat is Cortez Allen. If he had continued to play like he flashed early in his career, this team wouldn't have these problems. Clearly it is all his fault. And Tomlin for hitting his knee with a bat.

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    This is the debate I had (over at SF) about CB height. I've always avered that I'd rather have a shorter CB who can stick with a receivers, than a taller CB who can't cover. In other words, I'd rather give up a few inches in height, as opposed to a few yards in coverage.
    I agree with your point but I'm not just talking about height. Golson is small period. He's 5'9" 176 lbs. Boykin is 5'10" 182 lbs so not much different.

Blake is only 5'9" also but he's 198 lbs. Too bad he can't cover anyone though.
    I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play!- Jack Lambert

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerFanInStl View Post
    I agree with your point but I'm not just talking about height. Golson is small period. He's 5'9" 176 lbs. Boykin is 5'10" 182 lbs so not much different.

Blake is only 5'9" also but he's 198 lbs. Too bad he can't cover anyone though.
    steelers are REALLY riding on Senquez becoming another Jason Verrett or Antoine Winfield type. 5'9'' corners at his weight are pretty much unheard of in today's NFL. Boy do I hope he's able to do it. Also I'm almost certain that Senquez himself said on some social media platform or in an interview he has since gained some weight since being drafted? He's in the mid 180's now I believe?
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

But McCain played decent. Better than Blake.

Josh Norman is on that list and he's been playing pretty well this year from what I've read. There's guys on the list that are what they are, they aren't going to find a Rod Woodson, Deion Sanders type in free agency and probably won't through the draft...but they could sign a decent guy off that list to help stabilize he sieve that is the defensive backfield.

I'd like to see what PFF ranks the players on that list...out of curiosity.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Josh Norman is on that list and he's been playing pretty well this year from what I've read.
    Norman is arguably the second best CB in the entire NFL. The Panthers will lock him up or franchise tag him. If somehow he were to hit the open market, he'd get $15 million per season.

So, yes, I guess that I'd take him.

Sure. Josh Norman is on the list. And he will NEVER see the light of the free agent market. Zero chance that he is leaving Carolina. They will sign him for the requisite dump-truck full of money.

As to McCain playing "decent" when was that? Last season? Sure he looked decent and so did Blake and both had limited playing time. McCain looked decent as the nickel corner for the Dolphins. How would he have looked starting outside against team's best WR? We will never know.

Are there some guys on the list that could definitely help stabilize the situation? Sure - Sean Smith's name jumps off the page. But what would you have to spend to sign him? Likely 6-10 million per. The rest of that list is some version of Blake, Cockerell, McCain, etc. The Steelers secondary doesn't need another dose of "meh". It needs a playmaker. Without one, keep looking for the same level of performance.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

If rather sign a "meh" guy for $6M than go into next season with 3 "yuk" guys.

Blake did play decent last year and if he had progressed, we'd all be relatively happy. However, he's digressed to the point of being one of the worst rated CBs in the league. Something major will need to be done.

My point is that Blake or some version of him is what you get when you sign #3 and #4 corners in free agency. That is almost every player on that list.

To get someone better teams are going to have to spend a grat deal of money. Who on that list is worth big free agent money?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I understand that point and what you were getting at, but Blake is probably the worst out of that group and anything would be better than him but you could get much better for $6M a year...like I said, I'd rather have "meh" than "yuk." All those guys can't be rated as low as Blake...

Sure. For 6 million or so per year, you can get better than Blake. But who on that list is worth that much coin? In addition, where would that much money come from after existing players are resigned and extended?

Their best hope is to "hit" and hit big on a draft pick - like a Marcus Peters for the Chiefs this year.

A secondary of 2016 version of Marcus Peters rookie year, a resigned William Gay, a resigned Cockerell, a healty Golson, another CB free agent lottery ticket (from the list we were talking about), Mike Mitchell, some mediocre vet FA signing at safety, Golden, Grant, and a draft pick at safety can start to sound like a passable NFL secondary.

But turn that projected list in to big dollars spent on the Morris Claibornes and Josh Robinsons of the world and we are back to "Meh" and "vastly underperforming".

The absolutely have to pick up a rookie impact starter for the secondary in the draft or there will be very little meaningful improvement in the secondary in 2016. The talent simply isn't on the roster and picking through the dustbin isn't going to get it done.

THe dumbest thing this team did this off-season is NOT signing Delvin Breaux. Guy came in and quickly passed up everyone as the best player in the Saints secondary. Despite their horrid stats, there is some talent on that team (Vaccaro, Byrd, the long pined for Keenan Lewis). Could have been signed for basically nothing and instantly would have been the best CB on the roster.

Sure. For 6 million or so per year, you can get better than Blake. But who on that list is worth that much coin?

A secondary of 2016 version of Marcus Peters rookie year, a resigned William Gay, a resigned Cockerell, a healty Golson, another CB free agent lottery ticket (from the list we were talking about), Mike Mitchell, some mediocre vet FA signing at safety, Golden, Grant, and a draft pick at safety can start to sound like a passable NFL secondary.
    I'm going based off the numbers you threw out there...Sean Smith for example.

All the bold...All pot-luck and could put this defense in a similar or possibly worse situation than they are now. Of course, they could all hit and everything be wonderful, but with the Steelers draft history and assessment of talent at those positions, whats the likelihood of that? I'd be elated if that were to happen...nothing would make me happier...but I'm not betting my lunch money that anything close to that occurs.

I'm going based off the numbers you threw out there...Sean Smith for example.

All the bold...All pot-luck and could put this defense in a similar or possibly worse situation than they are now. Of course, they could all hit and everything be wonderful, but with the Steelers draft history and assessment of talent at those positions, whats the likelihood of that? I'd be elated if that were to happen...nothing would make me happier...but I'm not betting my lunch money that anything close to that occurs.
    I just don't think they have 6-10 million per year to pay the 2-3 guys on that list that are worth that kind of money. Then you get forced into a situation where the top 2-3 guys are off the market and suddenly Antwon Blake 2.0 is costing you 5-8 million per year because NFL teams are stupid about money.

I would rather they get someone in the draft, off a practice squad, or something that is more cost effective. Either way, I do not realistically think that the secondary is really going to be measurably better next season.

Either way, I do not realistically think that the secondary is really going to be measurably better next season.
    I tend to side with this more thn thinking they will be dramatically different.

1 at a time Array title="Count Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Count Steeler's Avatar

I tend to side with this more thn thinking they will be dramatically different.
    Well, something sure happened in the 2nd half against Denver. Whatever happened, I want more.

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

Blake's ass needs to be on the bench. Period!
    I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play!- Jack Lambert

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerFanInStl View Post
    Blake's ass needs to be on the bench. Period!
    I prefer he go far away from this team...as far away as possible.

If they re-sign him this offseason, I'm gonna be pissed. Tomlin needs to let his man crush go.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

my suggestion:

If rather sign a "meh" guy for $6M than go into next season with 3 "yuk" guys.

Blake did play decent last year and if he had progressed, we'd all be relatively happy. However, he's digressed to the point of being one of the worst rated CBs in the league. Something major will need to be done.
    I'm pretty sure he'll be in camp next year. Steelers will give him a chance to see if he improves, but the real question for me is whether he makes it out of camp or not.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Blake has had a chance since game 1. Tomlin continues to play him, then benches him, then puts him back out there. There is surely something very wrong here.

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

i had a crappy online feed to watch from. i didnt seem to see Blake out there much in the 2nd half though? Or is it just me?
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Original Member Array title="steelerdude15 has a brilliant future"> steelerdude15's Avatar

Brandon did have a nice pass breakup tonight. He read the play and went to the receiver that wasn't even his and broke up the pass.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Ward 86 View Post
    i had a crappy online feed to watch from. i didnt seem to see Blake out there much in the 2nd half though? Or is it just me?
    Your feed was good enough It was glorious not seeing him out there much in the 2nd half