Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Steelers’ Boykin: I’d love to be playing

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Steelers’ Boykin: I’d love to be playing

Steelers’ Boykin: I’d love to be playing

By F. Dale Lolley October 21, 2015

Pittsburgh Steelers defensive back Brandon Boykin (25) celebrates after getting the ball in the end zone after a Arizona Cardinals punt in the first quarter an NFL football game, Sunday, Oct. 18, 2015 in Pittsburgh. The Arizona Cardinals got the ball on the two yard line. (AP Photo/Gene J. Puskar)

PITTSBURGH – Ask Steelers cornerback Brandon Boykin why he isn’t playing any defense for the team and he’s likely to ask the same question in reply.

Why isn’t he playing?

Boykin, acquired in a trade from Philadelphia one week into training camp by the Steelers for a fifth-round draft pick has logged just 12 defensive snaps all season, including none in the past three games.

“If I had the answers, you wouldn’t be asking me,” Boykin said. “I’d love to be playing, but it’s out of my control. I can’t come in every day with that type of attitude. I’ve got to continue to work and keep a positive mindset. At any moment, I could be in. I don’t make any type of decisions. I just roll with it and control my attitude and practice my butt off for whenever it is.”

He could get his shot Sunday when the Steelers (4-2) play at Kansas City (1-5).

Starter Antwon Blake has a thumb injury on his left hand that kept him out of practice Wednesday. His hand has been placed in a cast.

If Blake is unable to play, Boykin could see his most extensive action for the Steelers since Sept. 20 against San Francisco. In that game, the 5-9, 182-pound fourth-year cornerback was on the field for 11 defensive plays.

Boykin was acquired when second-round draft pick Senquez Golson arrived at training camp with a shoulder injury and placed on injured reserve.

Despite his experience, Boykin wasn’t the Steelers’ starting nickel cornerback, his primary role in the previous three seasons with the Eagles. That job went to Cortez Allen.

When Boykin didn’t play in the opener – the first time in his career that Boykin didn’t log a defensive snap in an NFL game – he approached the coaching staff about his status.

With Allen out against San Francisco with a knee issue, Boykin was in line for an increased role but he tweaked a muscle in his leg in a Monday practice. With Boykin hurting, Ross Cockrell, signed after being released by Buffalo, stepped into the nickel cornerback spot and hasn’t relinquished.

Boykin hasn’t spoken to the coaching staff again about his role.

“Not recently,” he said. “It’s not going to do me any good to keep sitting here, wondering. You can’t. It’s out of your control. If he were to say, ‘You’re going to play,’ and I was thinking about that all week and then I don’t play, that’s just maddening.”

Boykin’s lack of playing time also is befuddling for some fans. When the Steelers acquired Boykin, they touted his ball-hawking skills as a key addition to a pass defense that hadn’t recorded more than 11 interceptions in a season since 2010.

Boykin tied for second in the NFL in interceptions in 2013 with six and had been Philadelphia’s nickel cornerback since his rookie season.

to read rest of article:

http://www.observer-reporter.com/app...151029862/1264

Ben's Wingman Array title="Merchant has a spectacular aura about"> Merchant's Avatar

Re: Steelers’ Boykin: I’d love to be playing

Everyone needs to stop with this Boykin stuff lol. If he's not playing, it's for a reason. Maybe he's talented but has a sh1tty attitude (remind you of Legarrette Blount, anyone?). The coaching staff puts the best options on the field. We don't know what goes on behind the scenes; in the locker room, meeting room, practice field, etc.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Has anyone approached Tomlin with this question? The Boykin stuff would stop if there was an answer...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Has anyone approached Tomlin with this question? The Boykin stuff would stop if there was an answer...
    what would be the point?

can't believe a single thing Tomlin says...

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

True...but I would like to hear what kind of shit Tomlin would attempt to spew...

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    what would be the point?

Yep. He insults my intelligence with his coachspeak and Tomlinisms.

True...but I would like to hear what kind of shit Tomlin would attempt to spew...
    "Obviously at this juncture, it is what it is.

the expectation level is very high, we accept that. we set the bar high around here, and we embrace that. the standard is the standard, if you will.

everybody with a helmet on is in the mix, those players know who they are. we do not have back-ups, we have starters in waiting. such is life in the National Football League, quite frankly.

I’m not going to try to paint a rosy picture in any form or fashion, I personally don't subscribe to that hocus pocus. I'm not pondering hypotheticals, we will look at the tape. there's a fine line between drinking wine and squashing grapes, obviously..."

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    Yep. He insults my intelligence with his coachspeak and Tomlinisms.
    ...and bad poker hands!

"Obviously at this juncture, it is what it is.

the expectation level is very high, we accept that. we set the bar high around here, and we embrace that. the standard is the standard, if you will.

everybody with a helmet on is in the mix, those players know who they are. we do not have back-ups, we have starters in waiting. such is life in the National Football League, quite frankly.

I’m not going to try to paint a rosy picture in any form or fashion, I personally don't subscribe to that hocus pocus. I'm not pondering hypotheticals, we will look at the tape. there's a fine line between drinking wine and squashing grapes, obviously..."
    Mike? Is that you??

Banned Array title="TeeTee is a glorious beacon of light">

Actually, I don't even care to hear his BS, just spews lies over and over. Sick of hearing them.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TeeTee View Post
    Actually, I don't even care to hear his BS, just spews lies over and over. Sick of hearing them.
    Here's idea for you:
    Record Belichick's presser... and when Tonlin steps to the podium, play the recording of Belichick.

Senior Member Array title="StillCurtains is a name known to all">

what would be the point?

Yeah here's how it goes....

Repoters: Mike, Why do you continue to play Blake over Boykin when Blake is clearly being beaten on every play?

Tomlin: We refuse to live in our fears.

Antwon Blake Injury Could Open Door For Brandon Boykin

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2015/10...randon-boykin/

Lol..."could". Do we see another example in a long list of "next man up" coming in and being better than the original man?!?

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Antwon Blake Injury Could Open Door For Brandon Boykin

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2015/10...randon-boykin/
    I'll believe it when I see it. For all we know, Dri Archer is probably their emergency backup at CB

He couldn't be any worse at CB than he is at WR, RB and KR.

He couldn't be any worse at CB than he is at WR, RB and KR.
    Yeah, he is great at watching footballs fly over his head.

Senior Member Array title="MrPgh has a spectacular aura about">

Would anyone like to continue defending Tomlin's usage of Blake over Boykin?

Quote Originally Posted by MrPgh View Post
    Nobody in this forum has defended Blake over Boykin. Nobody.

Bleedin' the B&G Array title="Steelman has much to be proud of"> Steelman's Avatar

Have you seen how many threads have been devoted to Brandon Boykin?

Nobody in this forum has defended Blake over Boykin. Nobody.
    They've defended Boykin not playing as if the best options are already being used, with Blake being one of them.

They've defended Boykin not playing as if the best options are already being used, with Blake being one of them.
    I haven't seen anyone defending Boykin not playing. Maybe rationalizing what the hell Tomlin is doing but not defending that shit.

Boykin is sooooooooo bad...almost as bad as the teams ability to tackle.

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

I haven't seen anyone defending Boykin not playing. Maybe rationalizing what the hell Tomlin is doing but not defending that shit.
    Boykins won't play unless Blake is on IR. Blake needs to get hurt to improve the defense. It's better coaching through injuries.
    Hater = Realist

Not much of a difference IMO. Either way, it's inexcusable if Boykin is on the bench and Blake plays next week.

Not much of a difference IMO. Either way, it's inexcusable if Boykin is on the bench and Blake plays next week.
    People try to rationalize on a forum message board all the time. It's called discussion with a lot of maybes. Defending it and saying it's right is different.

And I agree. Blake is nothing but a special teams guy and a backup only. He is not a starter. Boykin should have been in there a long time ago.

Senior Member Array title="JayC is a glorious beacon of light"> JayC's Avatar

i'm not gonna sit here and say Boykins is Revis or anything but give this man a chance. why the hell is Blake starting Tomlin?????

Would love to see Colbert grow a pair and cut Blake. It seems pretty evident that Colbert and Tomlin were not on the same page with the trade. You don't trade away a draft pick for an area of weakness on your team and not play him.

Quote Originally Posted by JayC View Post
    why the hell is Blake starting Tomlin?????
    I agree, Tomlin should not have been our starting HC this game...

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JayC View Post
    i'm not gonna sit here and say Boykins is Revis or anything but give this man a chance. why the hell is Blake starting Tomlin?????
    Because Boykins used his arms to tackle someone in practice. Can't have that
    Hater = Realist