Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Steelers’ Boykin: I’d love to be playing

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

Re: Steelers’ Boykin: I’d love to be playing

No reason to improve. As Lake said, they are doing "ok". To me that means there is no reason to draft a DB in 2016. After all, they are doing "ok".
    Hater = Realist

Bleedin' the B&G Array title="Steelman has much to be proud of"> Steelman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    In respect to comparisons to 2009 and the bleeding secondary, I don't see Tomlin making any changes. I remember him saying he would (in 2009) but that was putting in Joe Burnett for a few series in one game. Nothing major was done.

I have no expectations for any changes. Not that we shouldn't but I don't see it happening.
    I think you're right.

What's crazy to me is that Tomlin was the defensive backs coach in Minnesota. And somehow between he and Carnell Lake, they legitimately think our current actually secondary is decent?

For all we know Boykin truly does suck, doesn't grasp our system or is generally stupid, but the fact that he hasn't been given a chance is odd.

I also don't understand their reluctance to sit Allen, who is clearly as much of a liability as Blake in coverage. The defense as a whole seemed to click better when Golden was in. Is that just not apparent on tape?

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post
    No reason to improve. As Lake said, they are doing "ok". To me that means there is no reason to draft a DB in 2016. After all, they are doing "ok".
    yeah, there's no need to see what Boykin can do...

DBs were 4 of the 5 worst ranked Steelers defenders by PFF against Seattle:

Antwon Blake -5.3
    Stephon Tuitt -4.8
    Ross Cockrell -3.5
    Mike Mitchell -3.0
    Will Allen -2.6

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    yeah, there's no need to see what Boykin can do...

DBs were 4 of the 5 worst ranked Steelers defenders by PFF against Seattle:

Antwon Blake -5.3
    Stephon Tuitt -4.8
    Ross Cockrell -3.5
    Mike Mitchell -3.0
    Will Allen -2.6
    Shocking.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Boykin career PFF grades

2012 4.0
    2013 13.0
    2014 7.5

Fewest snaps he saw in any one year was 524

Blake

2012 -0.5 (only 4 snaps in Jacksonville)
    2013 -0.9 (5 snaps)
    2014 1.5 (275 snaps)
    2015 -23.9 (too many)

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Maybe Blake should start clutching and grabbing like Sherman seems to be allowed to do...

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Brandon Boykin will take us to a championship, it seems. But there's some kind of sabotage going on or something.

STEELER NATION RULES ! Array title="katmandu has much to be proud of"> katmandu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    Maybe Blake should start clutching and grabbing like Sherman seems to be allowed to do...
    Be careful about criticizing the Defense's Tom Brady! God-ell will hunt you down and wack your pee pee !
    "Never argue with a fool; onlookers may not be able to tell the difference." -- Mark Twain

Support Steelers Universe with a Donation via PayPal !

http://www.steelersuniverse.com/foru....php?do=donate

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by katmandu View Post
    Be careful about criticizing the Defense's Tom Brady! God-ell will hunt you down and wack your pee pee !
    Well, you gotta admit, knocking Brown down 15+ yards past the LOS and then picking off the pass intended for him is a damn effective maneuver!

Only problem is that it draws a flag if anyone else does it...

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

I'd love for Boykin to be playing instead of the walking burnt toast that is Antwon Blake

STEELER NATION RULES ! Array title="katmandu has much to be proud of"> katmandu's Avatar

Well, you gotta admit, knocking Brown down 15+ yards past the LOS and then picking off the pass intended for him is a damn effective maneuver!

Only problem is that it draws a flag if anyone else does it...
    It really amazed the shit out of me how Sherman was allowed to ride on AB's back all night long!

"Never argue with a fool; onlookers may not be able to tell the difference." -- Mark Twain

Support Steelers Universe with a Donation via PayPal !

http://www.steelersuniverse.com/foru....php?do=donate

Quote Originally Posted by katmandu View Post
    It really amazed the shit out of me how Sherman was allowed to ride on AB's back all night long!
    Not only that, but also gets lauded by Simms and Nantz for his "physical play."

Simms: "Why don't more teams do this against Brown?"

Uh, because it's ILLEGAL, fuckwit.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

He can't. His finger is ouchie.

The Steelers Should Start Brandon Boykin

by Lee Andrew Henderson | November 30, 2015

The Steelers spent a draft pick to acquire Brandon Boykin from the Philadelphia Eagles at the beginning of the season. Draft picks are very valuable to the Steelers. Every season the salary cap is pretty tight and the Steelers could really use cheap draft picks if they are good enough to get on the field. So far that draft pick has been a waste because Boykin rarely plays. If you visit any Steelers forum most of the educated fans understand that Boykin is best at covering the slot, a spot that is currently designated for William Gay. Boykin is not good at covering receivers on the outside, meaning that the Steelers acquired Boykin to simply be Gay's back up against slot receivers. The problem with this argument is that the cornerback currently starting can't cover receivers on the outside either. When I did a search for a photo of Antwon Blake, hilariously the first photo that popped up was Seahawks wide receiver Jermaine Kearse scoring on him.

I'm not the only one that is confused by Boykin not playing. Defensive Coordinator Carnell Lake was asked a week ago why Boykin isn't playing and his response was that in order for Boykin to get more playing time, "Somebody else would have to be playing badly right now." At the time the Steelers were 28th in pass defense. After Russell Wilson shredded the Steelers defense for 345 yards and 5 touchdowns the Steelers now rank 30th in pass defense. Just how bad do they have to fall before Lake admits that some people are playing badly right now?

Like I said before, Boykin is not known for being a great cornerback outside of covering the slot, but why not give him a chance? It's not going to be any worse than what Blake has done this season. Maybe Boykin will surprise you. He's only 25 years old. How many players peak at 25? Maybe he'll become a better cornerback with playing time. Maybe he'll simply step up with a playoff spot on the line. It's really pretty simple if you think about it. When somebody is playing poorly you bench him and bring in the next guy...

to read rest of article:

http://thepiratesbay.sportsblog.com/...on-boykin.html

Blasphemy!

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Man aren't a lot of people here going to feel stupid if Boykin gets his big chance on outside.. and he doesn't prove to be the "Second Coming".

(I hope I'm Wrong")

1 at a time Array title="Count Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Count Steeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post
    Man aren't a lot of people here going to feel stupid if Boykin gets his big chance on outside.. and he doesn't prove to be the "Second Coming".

(I hope I'm Wrong")
    At least we know what we have then, a snow ball's chance in hell of making the playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by Count Steeler View Post
    At least we know what we have then
    This.

I'm not going to feel stupid whatsoever.

what's stupid is to do the same thing over and over again and to expect a different result...

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

No, we'd feel stupid if Boykin somehow plays worse than Blake. It's going to be pretty difficult to fall short of that, because the bar is not exactly set very high. Just don't get burned for 200 yards on one side or give up a touchdown every three plays, and we're coming out ahead.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Banned Array title="TeeTee is a glorious beacon of light">

Not only that, but also gets lauded by Simms and Nantz for his "physical play."

Simms: "Why don't more teams do this against Brown?"

Uh, because it's ILLEGAL, fuckwit.
    Reffing sucks balls this season, worst ever. But, it's life; no one ever said it's fair (except liberals think it should be). Once you attain a certain level of rep, you get away with shit; Sherman has. You have to exist with the conditions and make adjustments. Being that the refs were letting Sherman get away with mugging, simply don't throw to him. I felt like every time they did they were wasting a down. It was if they were out to PROVE they weren't afraid of throwing his way. I got a better idea: Why not game plan to win, not game plan to prove anything? It was another case of our coaches being dim witted.

- - - Updated - - -

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/190185/brandon-boykin-finally-getting-a-look-in-steelers-secondary?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=newslet ter&utm_campaign=pittsburgh-steelers

11 games latter, dumbass considers a change. Way to go, Tomlin. Way to put ego ahead of winning.

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

(I hope I'm Wrong")
    You sound awfully confident defending possibly the worst starting CB in the league
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

(I hope I'm Wrong")
    Not as stupid as sticking with Antwon Baked when he has been playing terribly and not giving Boykin a chance

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Ward 86 View Post
    You sound awfully confident defending possibly the worst starting CB in the league
    Pro Football Focus currently ranks Antwon Blake as the 2nd worst starting CB in the NFL behind only Brandon Browner, who has somehow managed to be even worse...

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    Pro Football Focus currently ranks Antwon Blake as the 2nd worst starting CB in the NFL behind only Brandon Browner, who has somehow managed to be even worse...
    That is the funniest thing I have heard all week. Man, we are bashing the Steelers for continuing to run Blake out there - but can you imagine being the Saints? And paying all the money in the world for Browner to be worse than a low paid waiver wire guy? That is hilarious! Combined with what they are paying Byrd and Lewis - man oh man! There is always a worse situation!

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Ward 86 View Post
    There wasn't a word in there about Blake.

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

(I hope I'm Wrong")
    What makes you think that anyone thinks that Boykin is the "Second Coming"? Certainly no one on this forum has said so.

Shouldn't the people that have supported Tomlin's decision to keep putting the same players out there game after game despite the poor results be the ones that feel stupid? If what you're doing isn't working and you have another option available, especially one that you gave up a draft pick to get, shouldn't you at least make some kind of a change? That's what people are asking for.

Continuing to do the same thing despite the poor results is what I call stupid and stubborn. Sometimes referred to as "muleheadedness".
    I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play!- Jack Lambert

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

There wasn't a word in there about Blake.
    you didnt have to. the only way to feel stupid about a hypothetical situation in which Boykin takes over for Blake is if he plays even worse. Not going to happen
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

James C Wexell@jimwexell

CB Brandon Boykin confirmed that he "rotated in" with the ones at practice today. #Steelers.

https://mobile.twitter.com/jimwexell

Super Moderator and Lone hawks fan Array title="Devilsdancefloor has a reputation beyond repute"> Devilsdancefloor's Avatar

changes should happen boykin needs to see the field period

For those i love i will sacrifice.

Si ventus non est, remiga