Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Can anyone name four active NFL head coaches they think are better than Tomlin?

Re: Can anyone name four active NFL head coaches they think are better than Tomlin?

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    You have to put all this draft stuff in context. The only comparative is not some arbitrary standard or perception - even if it does come from a former NFL GM.

Taking a first round pick at a non premium position (listed above as interior OL, non-pass rushing DE, ILB) can actually be a really sound strategy. Look at other teams that have picked at the latter half of the 1st round for much of the last decade, like the Steelers have. They tend to take similar players. But when teams in the latter half of the first round try and fill those "premium" positions late in the round - it blows up in their faces. Look at the Pats and CBs. It got so bad they had to basically buy an entire secondary last season.

I said it earlier, look at the Ravens. Similar restock/rebuild as the Steelers. Which team has come out the other side of it with a better roster? Hands down Pittsburgh. W/out question. So, I mean how bad can the FO really be doing? Most seem to think that Ozzie Newsome is a draft savant.

The Pats have reloaded as well. They argueably did an even better job than Pittsburgh. But what did they re-build their defense around? Spending first round picks on Talented ILB and OLB/DE hybrids that other teams passed on. Gee -- what other team does that sound like?
    This.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw
    I realize that post after post in thread after thread, I seem like I am totally in the tank for the coaching staff and the front office. But it isn't that I think they are without fault - I definitely think they have some problems. But every franchise does. And I would rather have this organizations problems than most of the others.
    And ABSOLUTELY this.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Re: Can anyone name four active NFL head coaches they think are better than Tomlin?

Interesting mindset:

Pouncey is an All-Pro... but, that's not an important enough position to warrant calling it a good pick.

Heyward & Tuitt are on their way to stardom... but again, that's not an important enough position to warrant calling them good picks.

AB and Bell are the best at their respective positions... but, that is sloughed off as though it is commonplace for every team.

SUMMATION:
    Even when Tomlin finds good players, it's somehow at the wrong position... (or, some other rationalization as to why it wasn't a good pick).

If that is indeed the mindset, if one truly believes that Tomlin messed up those picks... then there is no way that a person with that mindset would ever consider him to be a good coach

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

My opinion : )

2007: Timmons - good starter
    2008: Spinny - wasted pick
    2009: Hood - serviceable, but didn't live up to his billing.
    2010: Pouncey - good starter(too bad he is unlucky with injuries)
    2011: Heyward - good starter
    2012: DD - good starter
    2013: Jones - bad pick
    2014: Shazier - too early, but shows signs of being a good starter(needs to stay healthy)
    2015: Dupree - too early
    Hater = Realist

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ALLD View Post
    Everybody agrees that Tomlin is good, but he has weaknesses. Sometimes the team is unprepared as recently as Week 1 against the Pats. Then our signature of playing down to competition is some kind of character flaw due to lack of discipline and consistency. You have to admit he is the best as platitudes and non sequiturs during press conferences.
    Andy Reid was horrible at press conferences...probably the king of taking the blame and giving nothing to the media..."the time is yours."

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="ETL has a reputation beyond repute"> ETL's Avatar

Easy. Basically to most fickle Steeler fans - if the Steelers win the past Sunday - he's a top 4 coach. If the Steelers lose - he's a bottom 4 coach.

How can I trust anyone's post - when they can just say "it was an over- reactions" when the Steelers start winning and "I told you so" when they keep on losing. It's so so predictable because it's the same pattern on every teams message board.

personally I see Tomlin as a top coach because his players seem to respect his honesty with them and he seems to try to get the most out of his players

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

no, try as i might i could not find 4 active NFL head coaches that i think are better than Cool Shades...

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ETL View Post
    Easy. Basically to most fickle Steeler fans - if the Steelers win the past Sunday - he's a top 4 coach. If the Steelers lose - he's a bottom 4 coach.

How can I trust anyone's post - when they can just say "it was an over- reactions" when the Steelers start winning and "I told you so" when they keep on losing. It's so so predictable because it's the same pattern on every teams message board.

personally I see Tomlin as a top coach because his players seem to respect his honesty with them and he seems to try to get the most out of his players
    Why did you give us your opinion after explaining to us how worthless all of our opinions are as they are all driven by the most recent thing that happened? Or I suppose you, the person who posed the question of whether Landry Jones is the next Tom Brady to Big Ben's, Drew Bledsoe, is above that sort of thing? Right.....
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post
    2009: Hood - serviceable, but didn't live up to his billing.
    I think that you & I are two (of about five) Steelers fans who feel even that positively towards Hood.

Everyone else seems to hate him thoroughly.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    I think that you & I are two (of about five) Steelers fans who feel even that positively towards Hood.

Everyone else seems to hate him thoroughly.
    I don't hate Ziggy either.

I just think he was miscast as a 3-4 DE, he would have been much better off if he had been drafted initially by a team that ran a 4-3 scheme...

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Interesting mindset:

Pouncey is an All-Pro... but, that's not an important enough position to warrant calling it a good pick.

Heyward & Tuitt are on their way to stardom... but again, that's not an important enough position to warrant calling them good picks.

AB and Bell are the best at their respective positions... but, that is sloughed off as though it is commonplace for every team.

SUMMATION:
    Even when Tomlin finds good players, it's somehow at the wrong position... (or, some other rationalization as to why it wasn't a good pick).

If that is indeed the mindset, if one truly believes that Tomlin messed up those picks... then there is no way that a person with that mindset would ever consider him to be a good coach

None of that. My mindset is that apart from Bell and Brown, which were obvious home runs, he did as expected with the high picks and most of the low picks sucked major ass.

We are not the only team to get an All-Pro with a first-round pick. That's nice that it happened, but mathematically, every 4 or 5 years you SHOULD get one. I don't know why everyone should bow down in awe because of it.

That explain it any better?
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Butch has a reputation beyond repute"> Butch's Avatar

Tomlin absolutely frustrates me at times. His stepping on the field of play is un-excusable. His Tomlinism's always seem to fall flat "Unleash Hell in December". His clock management and some of the plays he does not challenge (yes I saw the stat on how successful he is, but there are times where he needs to challenge and he doesn't). One of the most head scratching draft picks I have ever seen was taking Dri Archer where he did.

I get particularly upset with us bringing is guys that end up in this Bull Shit "Dog House" of Tomlins. That needs a whole lot more explanation before I would sign off on it. And if there is a Dog House why wasn't Blount ever just stuffed in it and left to Rot??? Can Boykins be worse than that?

I also have to wonder how much of his staff has been "forced" on him. Haley? Lebeau? and maybe he was forced to let go of B.A.? I don't know. I do think that the staff the coach has around him is a telling sign of how good a coach is. I think that Cowher had some great staff's in his time.

All that being said I don't think Mike is a terrible coach. I am interested in seeing how things play out this year with all the big loses we have had to endure. Not many coaches out there can win with the hand we were dealt.

As for Peyton and the mentioning of bountygate IMHO that was go to hell's own witch hunt and one that was not proven to be true. It tore that team apart and so I don't pin that on him rather a way for go to hell to wield his hatred for certain teams. Maybe he is anti black and gold?

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    None of that. My mindset is that apart from Bell and Brown, which were obvious home runs, he did as expected with the high picks and most of the low picks sucked major ass.

We are not the only team to get an All-Pro with a first-round pick. That's nice that it happened, but mathematically, every 4 or 5 years you SHOULD get one. I don't know why everyone should bow down in awe because of it.

That explain it any better?
    There are 44 All-Pros.

Tomlin draft picks are 3 of them... 7%.

There are 32 teams; so, the average should be 1/32... 3%.

SUMMATION:
    Tomlin draft picks have more than double the success rate of the average team.

Senior Member Array title="StillCurtains is a name known to all">

Belichick, McCarthy, Harbaugh, Arians

I'm not going on recent head to head matchups, but consistency and in game decision making.

Quote Originally Posted by Dissolv View Post
    As a coach, Tomlin has glaring issues. Clock Management, challenges, roster decisions. Yet despite that, he does remain a highly effective NFL coach. Comparing him to Cowher at this stage is becoming more and more relevant. At times Cowher had losing seasons. He also had issues -- Martyball, loyalty to Kordell, failure to value the QB position. But he was an excellent coach, and he could easily step right back into the elite ranks of the NFL is he wanted to.

Tomlin is the same way. Not perfect, but clearly capable of helming the flagship team of the NFL to repeated success. Another superbowl win, even one this year with all the injuries, is not out of the question, and how are the Harbaugh brother's chances doing right about now? Sustained success matters--the more times you get to the playoffs, the more likely it is you go all the way. Peak and valley teams don't tend to make it back for a loooooooong time. I'll take Tomlin, given the alternatives. Warts and all.

(This won't keep me from internet posting his boneheaded moves though)

Dissolv
    To Harbaugh's credit, yes they are having a bad season, but he's only missed 1 playoff apperance in his career. He also led Baltimore to the playoffs last year with a completely decimated secondary, nearly beating New England. You're bound to be hit with the unlucky stick at some point, but Harbaugh is a good coach.

Quote Originally Posted by StillCurtains View Post
    To Harbaugh's credit, yes they are having a bad season, but he's only missed 1 playoff apperance in his career. He also led Baltimore to the playoffs last year with a completely decimated secondary, nearly beating New England. You're bound to be hit with the unlucky stick at some point, but Harbaugh is a good coach.
    Yeah... but, the whining. That God-awful, incessant whining.

the whining crybaby Hairball Brothers:

- - - Updated - - -

You have a point there!

Senior Member Array title="j-d-s is a jewel in the rough">

I don't think Tomlin is a Top5 coach in the NFL. He's one of the better ones, but not one of the best. Tomlin depends a lot on the circumstances, nobody would fear a team just because Tomlin is the coach and Tomlin would not be able to turn a historically bad team around. Here in Pittsburgh he has a good front office and excellent coaches around him - I give massive credit to Haley and especially Munchak for our success. I don't say Tomlin has no part in all that, but he certainly is not the only reason and thus is probably around 10-15.

Better coaches than Tomlin in my opion: Belicheat, Coughlin, Carroll, Payton, Reid, Harbaugh, McCarthy, Fisher, plus a couple of guys you could debate about (wanna discuss Arians? ). Some guys like Jim Harbaugh and Jon Gruden are also good, but not in the NFL at this time.

Quote Originally Posted by ETL View Post

Well, he won two games (out of three) with Mike Vick and Landry Jones at QB. That's quite an achievement...

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

I think Gruden was overrated

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

There are 44 All-Pros.

Tomlin draft picks are 3 of them... 7%.

There are 32 teams; so, the average should be 1/32... 3%.

SUMMATION:
    Tomlin draft picks have more than double the success rate of the average team.

The discussion was about first-round picks. He's done as well as expected there. You get an All-Pro player anywhere else, you're more lucky than good. Or are you implying Tomlin had some kind of crystal ball when drafting Brown? If so, why do all our other late-round picks suck so bad? Wait, that's right - he's just doing that to throw everyone else off. What a move - he's the ultimate hustler.

Draft success is not just about finding the good players in the high rounds, which honestly you SHOULD be able to do. It's also equal parts finding the correct players to fill needs, and building depth in the lower rounds. So to me, he's 1 out of 3. Fine, call him twice as successful as average at the first part; we still have a ton of holes and question marks thanks to our problems with the draft.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Ward 86 View Post
    Both Harbaughs. Hate to say it.
    I don't know if they are better coaches...but I DO know they have the worst sportsmanship in sports.

No thank you...those arrogant jack-wagons can poison some other team.
    "I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play"

-- Jack Lambert --

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    The discussion was about first-round picks. He's done as well as expected there. You get an All-Pro player anywhere else, you're more lucky than good. Or are you implying Tomlin had some kind of crystal ball when drafting Brown? If so, why do all our other late-round picks suck so bad? Wait, that's right - he's just doing that to throw everyone else off. What a move - he's the ultimate hustler.

Draft success is not just about finding the good players in the high rounds, which honestly you SHOULD be able to do. It's also equal parts finding the correct players to fill needs, and building depth in the lower rounds. So to me, he's 1 out of 3. Fine, call him twice as successful as average at the first part; we still have a ton of holes and question marks thanks to our problems with the draft.
    If we are going to discount All Pros who weren't R1 picks, then we'd have to eliminate Brady, Sherman, Romo, Murray, Bell, Gronkowski, Nelson, Dumerville, Houston, Wagner and about five others.

Yes, they got lucky with AB. At the same time, they had a scout at his games... and no other NFL team had a scout there.

Everyone and their mother chastised Tomlin for taking Bell over Lacy. Tomlin stuck by his pick; so, I give him full credit for that pick.

Look at most teams' drafts (not just the Steelers' drafts). Every team has holes. Even the best-drafting team (Seahawks) struggles to fill all 22 starting spots (they have no receivers). The Steelers have a horrible secondary... okay, they're just like the Taperiots and the Ravens in that regard. The Steelers offense more than makes up for that deficiency (much like the Taperiots).

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Compare Tomlin and Colbert's draft record against any other coach/GM combination in the league. I will bet that you will be surprised how frequently Tomlin and Colbert come out on top.

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

Tomlin prefers Jones over Harrison. Clueless.

Blake remains a starter. Clueless.

Boykins is traded, but rots on the bench because the other CBs are just so much better? Clueless.
    Hater = Realist

I was hoping Tomlin would prove me wrong...still think Reid is a better coach.

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    he was today...

Well there you have it... Array title="NCSteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> NCSteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    he was today...
    Bullshit, Reid wouldn't win shit with KCs third string QB under center

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Merry Christmas

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post

2-5....

Quote Originally Posted by NCSteeler View Post
    Bullshit, Reid wouldn't win shit with KCs third string QB under center
    Exactly

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

This was predictable. 3rd string qb. LT that is a rookie to the league and the position. But yeah. This one is on Tomlin. I see that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk