Thread: At what point in the draft do you start taking the best player avaliable?

Member Array title="TXSteelerFan is an unknown quantity at this point"> TXSteelerFan's Avatar

At what point in the draft do you start taking the best player avaliable?

Sitting here at work thinking... (Apparently not about work ) What is your take? I know not every team does this. The Steelers normally stick to picking what is needed with exception of a few people here and there.

But if you were running a NFL team at what point in the draft (round) would you start picking talent over need? If you do not take talent over need, what are your reasons (besides the obvious, the player being needed)?

The Virginia Hillbilly Array title="Galax Steeler is a splendid one to behold"> Galax Steeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TXSteelerFan View Post
    Sitting here at work thinking... (Apparently not about work ) What is your take? I know not every team does this. The Steelers normally stick to picking what is needed with exception of a few people here and there.

But if you were running a NFL team at what point in the draft (round) would you start picking talent over need? If you do not take talent over need, what are your reasons (besides the obvious, the player being needed)?

I guess it would depend on what your need was for the team and who was left. That is like when we drafted Mendenahll he was not on our list to draft and really not a need at the time. When he got to us they was surprised that he was there and took the best available.

Re: At what point in the draft do you start taking the best player avaliable?

Quote Originally Posted by TXSteelerFan View Post

Depends on your depth...and the depth of the draft.

(If that makes sense)
    "I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play"

-- Jack Lambert --

Klaatu barada nikto Array title="suitanim has a brilliant future"> suitanim's Avatar

If I'm the GM of an NFL team, I run it like the Eagles. I look to fill the shoes of FA's I am reasonable sure will want unreasonably high pay a year before their contract is up, and that is my #1 draft priority. And, the second thing I take into consideration is the positions those guys play. I'm from the school of pick 'em and sit 'em for a year or two, so I don't necessarily NEED to be taking need guys in the first 3 rounds, especially if there are value guys in later rounds in positions that don't necessarily require top round picks to ensure success.

So if I need a QB in two years, an OL and SS next year, and an ILB THIS year, I'd draft an ILB in the 1st round, look at BPA in the 2nd and 3rd, then make sure (If I haven't already just through good luck) I take care of next years needs in Rd 4-7 (OL ad SS). I'll address QB somewhere between Rd 3 and 5 IF there's a project QB who fits the bill. I'm not as worried about this as I have 2 years to play with at this position, and can always draft a more NFL-ready guy earlier next year.
    Fire Goodell

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

After I have drafted at every position of need, and after two if there is a dire need